Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - March 20, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
W o r t h
the wait!
Your generosity
has meaningful
impact in our
community.
For Good.
Forever.
Scan above for
our 2023 annual
highlights
Canadian Navigable Waters Act
Manitoba Hydro hereby gives notice that a submission has been added to
the Common Project Search (online registry) pursuant to the Canadian
Navigable Waters Act described herein and its description. Pursuant to
paragraph 4(1) of the said Act, Manitoba Hydro has deposited a notification
of a minor work in accordance with the requirements set out on the
External Submission Site, on the online Common Project Search Registry
(http://cps.canada.ca/) and under registry number 10239, a description of
the following work:
• Install a 25 kV distribution line utilizing existing poles over
Sturgeon Creek at Summit Road in between Saskatchewan
Avenue and CentrePort Canada Way.
Posted at Winnipeg, Manitoba this 20
th
day of March, 2024.
Available in accessible formats upon request.
TOP NEWS
A3 WEDNESDAY MARCH 20, 2024 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
U.S. vows to defend Philippines
M
ANILA, Philippines — Secre-
tary of State Antony Blinken
underscored Washington’s
“ironclad commitment” Tuesday to
help defend the Philippines in case
of an armed attack against its forces
after clashes between Chinese and
Filipino coast guards in the disputed
South China Sea recently turned more
hostile.
Blinken, the latest high-level offi-
cial to visit the United States treaty
ally, met his Philippine counterpart
Enrique Manalo on Tuesday before
separately meeting President Ferdi-
nand Marcos Jr. in Manila.
President Joe Biden will host Mar-
cos and Japanese Prime Minister
Fumio Kishida in a White House
summit in April. The three are like-
ly to discuss growing concerns over
increasingly aggressive Chinese
actions in the South China Sea and
North Korea’s nuclear program.
“We stand with the Philippines and
stand by our ironclad defence com-
mitments, including under the Mutual
Defense Treaty,” Blinken said in a
news conference with Manalo.
“We have a shared concern about
the PRC’s actions that threaten our
common vision for a free, open In-
do-Pacific, including in the South
China Sea and in the Philippines’
exclusive economic zone,” Blinken
said, using the abbreviation for the
People’s Republic of China. He cited
“repeated violations of international
law and the rights of the Philippines:
water cannons, blocking manoeuv-
res, close shadowing other dangerous
operations.”
The Chinese coast guard blocked
and used water cannons against Phil-
ippine vessels in a confrontation two
weeks ago that slightly injured a Fili-
pino admiral and four of his sailors
near the disputed Second Thomas
Shoal. The March 5 faceoff in the high
seas also caused two minor collisions
between Chinese and Philippine ves-
sels and prompted Manila’s Depart-
ment of Foreign Affairs to summon
China’s deputy ambassador to convey
a protest against the Chinese coast
guard’s actions, which the Philippines
said were unacceptable.
The Chinese coast guard said then
that “it took control measures in ac-
cordance with the law against Philip-
pine ships that illegally intruded into
the waters adjacent to Ren’ai Reef,”
the name Beijing uses for Second
Thomas Shoal.
The Second Thomas Shoal, which is
occupied by a small Philippine navy
contingent but surrounded by Chinese
coast guard ships and other allied
vessels, was the site of several tense
skirmishes between Chinese and Phil-
ippine coast guard ships in the past
year. But Filipino officials said the
confrontation earlier this month was
particularly serious because of the in-
juries sustained by its navy personnel
and damage to their vessel.
Blinken renewed a warning Tues-
day that the U.S. is obligated under
a 1951 Mutual Defence Treaty to de-
fend the Philippines if Filipino forces,
ships or aircraft come under an
armed attack anywhere in the South
China Sea.
In Beijing, Chinese Foreign Min-
istry spokesperson Lin Jian rejected
Blinken’s comments on Chinese ag-
gression in the South China Sea.
“The U.S. is not a party to the South
China Sea issue and has no right to
intervene in maritime issues between
China and the Philippines,” Lin said.
“China will continue to take neces-
sary measures to firmly defend its
territorial sovereignty and maritime
rights and interests and maintain
peace and stability in the South China
Sea.”
Both Blinken and Manalo described
their countries’ treaty alliance as
being on “hyper-drive,” but acknow-
ledged that more could be done. They
said efforts to shore up defence ties
were not aimed against any country.
Beijing has repeatedly said that
Marcos’ decision to allow the expan-
sion of American military presence in
the Philippines under a 2014 defence
pact could undermine the security of
China and the region.
U.S. and Philippine forces plan to
hold their largest annual combat exer-
cises in April in the Philippines. The
area would include a northern region
just a sea away from Taiwan, which
China claims as its own territory.
“We reaffirmed our shared view
that a strong and capable Philippines
would make a formidable ally for the
United States,” Manalo said.
Blinken said that “the alliance has
never been stronger, but we not only
have to sustain that, we have to con-
tinue to accelerate the momentum.”
Outside the presidential palace in
Manila, dozens of left-wing activists
tore a mock U.S. flag in a noisy rally
Tuesday to oppose Blinken’s visit
and Washington’s involvement in the
long-simmering territorial disputes.
Aside from China and the Philip-
pines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Taiwan and
Brunei also have overlapping claims
in the resource-rich and busy water-
way, a key global trade route.
Beijing claims almost the entire
South China Sea. In the past decade,
China has turned barren reefs into
seven islands that now serve as mis-
sile-protected island bases — includ-
ing three with runways — that have
bolstered its capability to fortify its
territorial claims and patrols.
In response, Washington has been
strengthening an arc of military
alliances and security ties in the In-
do-Pacific, including with the Philip-
pines, Vietnam and other countries at
odds with China in the disputed sea.
After China effectively seized an-
other disputed atoll — the Scarbor-
ough Shoal off the northwestern Phil-
ippines — in 2012, Manila brought its
disputes with Beijing to international
arbitration and largely won. China,
however, rejected the 2016 ruling of
the United Nations-backed tribunal
that invalidated its expansive claims
on historical grounds, and continues
to defy the decision.
— The Associated Press
Blinken underscores ‘ironclad’ support
in clash with China over disputed sea
JIM GOMEZ
EVELYN HOCKSTEIN/POOL PHOTO
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken departs the Philippines en route to Saudi Arabia, at Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines.
VEEJAY VILLAFRANCA / BLOOMBERG
Philippines President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. will visit the White House with Japanese Prime
Minister Fumio Kishida in April.
MTS chair
doesn’t rule
out search
for leaks
MANITOBA Teachers’ Society exec-
utives have not ruled out an investiga-
tion to hold whistleblowers accountable
for exposing employee concerns about
the head office’s “toxic” environment,
related departures and capacity to sup-
port members.
“I honestly can’t say at this point in
time which direction things will take;
we’ll have to see how things play out,”
said president Nathan Martindale, who
represents upwards of 16,600 public
school teachers.
Martindale chairs the union’s prov-
incial executive — a governing board
made up of 13 elected teachers, all of
whom received a letter earlier this
month urging them to launch an “in-
quiry.”
Executives from eight locals signed
a March 7 letter requesting provincial
executive members probe how confi-
dential information about MTS head-
quarters was leaked last month via so-
cial media and reporters.
The Free Press obtained the findings
of a spring 2023 survey that yielded re-
sponses from 65 per cent of the support
and clerical staff who run day-to-day
operations for the society out of its Por-
tage Avenue campus.
The poll found the majority of work-
ers — members of Teamsters Local
Union 979 — had a negative perception
of the psychological health and safety
of their office. There was also a nota-
ble absence of trust and confidence in
the senior management team among
respondents.
Nearly a dozen sources, including
experienced staff members and repre-
sentatives from the political side of the
organization, have corroborated those
results in separate interviews in recent
weeks.
Insiders flagged concerns about the
short-lived tenure of a human resour-
ces director who was investigating
MTS employee concerns, the abrupt
cancellation of a third-party probe into
management and service-delivery lev-
els.
More than 20 per cent of employees
have gone on a leave of absence or left
the organization permanently over the
last year.
Martindale broke his silence on the
situation Tuesday.
“We’ve heard the concerns. We’re
working on solutions. We’re committed
to making things better, and it’s going
to take time but we’re going to do it,”
he said, adding he appreciates local
executives’ worries about confiden-
tial memos going “further than the in-
tended audience.”
Interim executive director Roland
Stankevicius, who came out of retire-
ment when his successor went on leave
late last year, will serve until Danielle
Fullan Kolton returns or another leader
takes her place on a permanent basis,
he said.
The president did not disclose exact-
ly when he first became aware of the
Teamsters survey results.
“MTS, as an organization, and leader-
ship, specifically, has been trying to
solve problems and address problems
for quite a while now,” he said.
Teamsters 979 president Paul Frias
shared the poll results with members
on Sept. 25.
In a followup bulletin, Frias said re-
quests to meet with Fullan Kolton about
the findings on “several occasions”
were declined.
maggie.macintosh@freepress.mb.ca
MAGGIE MACINTOSH
;