Winnipeg Free Press

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Issue date: Wednesday, March 20, 2024
Pages available: 32
Previous edition: Tuesday, March 19, 2024

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions

Logos

About Winnipeg Free Press

  • Publication name: Winnipeg Free Press
  • Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
  • Pages available: 32
  • Years available: 1872 - 2025
Learn more about this publication

About NewspaperArchive.com

  • 3.12+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to One of the World's Largest Newspaper Archives!

Start your Genealogy Search Now!

OCR Text

Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - March 20, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba WEDNESDAY MARCH 20, 2024 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM SECTION B CONNECT WITH WINNIPEG’S NO. 1 NEWS SOURCE ▼ CITY ● BUSINESS ‘Keeping it clean, keeping it safe’ F OR Jason Genaille, moving his family into the Balmoral Hotel six weeks ago stood in stark con- trast to a stay years earlier during the height of the hotel’s notoriety. “Back then, I wouldn’t have come here with my family, but now it’s dif- ferent,” he said. “They have security and everything, they’re keeping it clean, keeping it safe.” Genaille, his wife and two children moved to the hotel when the pipes froze and burst at his Manitoba Hous- ing residence. They were referred to the Balmoral through the federal Jor- dan’s Principle program, which funds families of First Nations children, until they could find a permanent home. Kam Khaira, an entrepreneur, and Antonio Paletta, a psychia- trist, pitched a different style of single-room occupancy when they announced they had purchased the property at 621 Balmoral St. While the hotel had been used to house northern First Nations people who are in the city for medical appoint- ments, the beer vendor, lounge and slots had been a hub for criminal activity and were regarded as unsafe. Now, while rooms will remain as short-term housing for patients and others in need, the beer vendor, VLTs, and basement bar are to be replaced by a walk-in clinic, drop-in support site and daycare. Renovation of the 45 rooms was completed this month, while work on other parts of the hotel will continue until later this year. In the rooms, carpet has been replaced by hardwood floors, bath- rooms have been upgraded, including some that have been made wheel- chair-accessible, furniture has been replaced and a fresh coat of paint has brightened up the place. Tenants have inspired certain changes: dinner service is no longer restricted to two hours, Khaira said, and healthier food is available. “(It’s) small little things (where), before, they never got that kind of respect in the past,” he said. New owners have invested $900K in upgrades to Balmoral Hotel MALAK ABAS PHOTOS BY MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS Velma Green (left) and Jason Genaille moved into a newly renovated room in January after the pipes burst at their Manitoba Housing residence. MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS The new owners of the once-notorious Balmoral Hotel have recently finished updating the building’s 45 rooms. MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS The newly renovated third floor of the Balmoral Hotel. When finished, the facility will include a walk-in clinic, drop-in support site and daycare. ● HOTEL, CONTINUED ON B2 Winnipeg officer sued for at least the 10th time A WINNIPEG police officer, who has been repeatedly accused of miscon- duct, is being sued over an alleged un- lawful arrest in which a man was Tas- ered and kneed. Lawyer Martin Pollock filed a lawsuit against patrol sergeant Jeffrey Norman last week on behalf of East St. Paul con- tractor Leo Marcel Lafreniere. The suit also names officer Jason Chymyshyn and the City of Winnipeg. A statement of defence hasn’t been filed. It is at least the 10th time Norman has been named in a lawsuit while working as a city police officer — and it’s the second time Chymyshyn has been sued. The outcomes of the litigation against Norman, who has been a Winnipeg of- ficer for more than two decades, have largely remained behind closed doors. The new suit, which relates to an Oct. 1, 2022 traffic stop, says Lafreniere rode an electric bicycle into a parking lot near Logan Avenue and Gunnell Street, after Chymyshyn directed him to stop by activating the cruiser’s emer- gency lights. Chymyshyn asked Lafreniere for his licence and registration, and while he was retrieving it, Norman arrived in a second police vehicle, the suit says. Lafreniere claims he was explaining regulations about electric bicycles with pedals, while Chymyshyn “talked loud- ly over him.” The suit says Lafreniere further tried to explain that the bike’s pedals and in- surance were in a locked compartment that he needed to open with the ignition key, but Chymyshyn ignored him. Lafreniere continued to protest as Norman approached them. The plain- tiff asked again why he had been stopped and Chymyshyn said it was for failure to comply. Lafreniere continued to protest against the traffic stop and Chymyshyn said he was being arrested for resisting arrest, the claim says. The officers took hold of Lafreniere’s arms, before Norman ordered him to put his hands behind his back. Lafren- iere was complying with the order, but Norman wrenched his right arm to meet his left arm behind his back for handcuffing, the claim alleges. The two officers wrestled Lafreni- ere to the ground and Norman unhol- stered his Taser and shocked him with it “numerous times,” the suit says. Norman kneed Lafreniere in the groin, the lawsuit claims, but Lafreni- ere did not threaten the officers or use force against them. The plaintiff was charged with re- sisting arrest and four offences under the Highway Traffic Act, all of which were later stayed by the Crown, court records show. ERIK PINDERA ● LAWSUIT, CONTINUED ON B2 Windsor Park and Eldon Ross pools given reprieve EPC has no joy for Happyland Pool AFTER many pleas to keep them open, the City of Winnipeg appears poised to delay budget plans to close two pools, but a third would still shut down. The Windsor Park outdoor pool would now stay open through 2025, while El- don Ross indoor pool would keep oper- ating this summer, based on a propos- al to alter the city’s 2024-2027 budget. Council’s executive policy committee approved the plans Tuesday, which await a final council vote. There does not appear to be a re- prieve on the table for Happyland out- door pool in St. Boniface. The three pools were slated to close in the city’s preliminary budget but the move was strongly opposed by mem- bers of the public and city councillors who argued the facilities are valuable, well-used community amenities. Mayor Scott Gillingham told repor- ters keeping Windsor Park open for the outdoor pool seasons in 2024 and 2025 would ensure a swimming option dur- ing renovations at the nearby Bonivital Pool and also allow time for public con- sultations to begin this summer on “the future of aquatics” in the St. Boniface ward. However, the mayor noted the city will continue reviewing its oldest facili- ties. “There comes a time when we look at some of the aging assets in the City of Winnipeg where we just have to stop putting Band-Aids on things and say the better decision is to close or de- commission an asset and look longer term at the kind of services that we (as) Winnipeggers need in the future,” said Gillingham. EPC also voted to postpone plans for a new Winakwa Community Centre spray pad, which would delay its open- ing to 2028 from 2027. Finance chairman Coun. Jeff Bro- waty linked the Eldon Ross closure to low attendance. Coun. Matt Allard (St. Boniface) said he’s hopeful a new facility in St. Boni- face will emerge following the consul- tations. “I’m going to work with the mayor and council and do everything I can to make that happen,” said Allard. He said the Happyland pool closure will be a significant loss. “I think it’s devastating for the com- munity. To the person I spoke to from the neighbourhood yesterday… I did everything I could (to save it) and I’m sorry,” said Allard. Browaty indicated he also sees a need for some type of pool in St. Boniface but the details still have to be sorted out. “All of the pools, including the Pro- vencher Pool, are very old assets in the St. Boniface area… Some type of swim- ming pool, I think, is warranted. Where that’s going to be (and) what it’s going to look like is still to be determined,” he said. The Eldon Ross indoor pool and wading pool are now slated to remain open this summer, pending council ap- proval. The city plans to issue a request for proposals to sell the facility with a requirement that potential buyers con- tinue allowing public access. That plan was proposed by Coun. Vivian Santos, whose ward includes the pool. JOYANNE PURSAGA KEN GIGLIOTTI / FREE PRESS FILES There appears to be no happy ending in store for Happyland Pool. ● BUDGET, CONTINUED ON B2 ;