Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - March 21, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
B2
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
NEWS I CITY
THURSDAY, MARCH 21, 2024
Craig set a Guinness World Record
for the longest-duration spinning in a
Cyr (named after acrobat Daniel Cyr)
wheel at 40 minutes and eight seconds.
Luckily, Craig didn’t need it for his
trip to Japan, but planned to use it in
other international performances com-
ing up in the next few days. He spent
more than $2,000 having a replacement
rushed to him.
A WestJet spokesperson declined an
interview, instead referring the Free
Press to the airline’s delayed, lost or
damaged baggage policy, which states
that passengers flying within North or
South America can claim up to $100 for
the first 48 hours for delayed baggage.
After 48 hours, travellers can claim a
further $150.
Passengers with baggage deemed lost
or damaged can claim approximately
$2,300, unless a higher value was de-
clared in advance.
As a frequent flyer — he can count
his time spent at home in hours so far
in 2024 — Craig understands bags get
misplaced or lost, but says his equip-
ment has been missing for an unreason-
able amount of time.
“It’s a very unique, one-of-a-kind
piece of luggage … it just makes me
think that people aren’t really trying
that hard,” he said.
nicole.buffie@freepress.mb.ca
ACROBAT ● FROM B1
“It’s… important to give some relief
to a festival that draws in the crowds,
draws in the money and makes such a
significant investment… in the down-
town,” said Rollins.
Councillors also heard a final plea to
keep Happyland outdoor pool open or at
least cover its operating costs for one
more year.
“Give us a chance to raise money….
We’re willing to do it, if that’s what it
takes to save Happyland,” said Sandra
Dupuis, a member of the South St. Boni-
face Residents’ Association.
Former premier and past St. Boni-
face MLA Greg Selinger also attended
the meeting, telling media he opposed
the pool closure.
He declined an interview request.
Browaty said he remains convinced
that closing the pool makes sense.
“The condition of the old infra-
structure isn’t going to get better in 12
months’ time or 24 months’ time,” he
said. “I really do believe… the best solu-
tion for St. Boniface aquatics, overall, is
a brand-new facility of some sort.”
The preliminary budget also called
for the Windsor Park outdoor and El-
don Ross indoor pools to close this year.
However, an amendment council final-
ized Wednesday will see Windsor Park
remain open through 2025 and Eldon
Ross operate through this summer. The
city then plans to sell Eldon Ross with a
requirement that the facility maintains
some public access.
In the final vote, Gillingham joined
Couns. Markus Chambers, Evan
Duncan, Gilroy, Jason Schreyer, Roll-
ins, Ross Eadie, Browaty, Devi Sharma,
Santos, Matt Allard, Shawn Dobson,
Brian Mayes and Janice Lukes to vote
in favour of the operating budget, while
Wyatt opposed it. Wyatt and Schreyer
both voted against the capital budget,
while Coun. John Orlikow was absent
from the meeting.
joyanne.pursaga@freepress.mb.ca
X: @joyanne_pursaga
BUDGET ● FROM B1
Be an Upstander to make a difference
M
ANITOBA classrooms have
transformed into miniature
versions of the Canadian Mu-
seum for Human Rights in recent
weeks as part of a growing initia-
tive to empower students to stand up
against injustice.
“My students were overwhelmed
at the end of it and saying, ‘Wow, the
world sucks.’ They felt hopeless,” said
Graham Lowes, recalling the senti-
ment among his Grade 7 students
after wrapping up a unit on human
rights issues a decade ago.
The situation sparked conversations
in the staff room at H.S. Paul School
and a subsequent shift in teaching so-
cial studies in Winnipeg’s South Glen
neighbourhood and across the Louis
Riel School Division.
Lowes and his colleagues began
tasking their students with research-
ing rights and societal issues they
cared about and educating others on
them in the pursuit of positive change.
The project-based lessons attracted
the attention of the CMHR — where
Lowes is now the manager of educa-
tion and program development — in
2017.
He has turned “Be an Upstander”
into a flagship education program
at the Winnipeg-based museum and
recruited teachers from across the
country to participate.
Lowes’ definition of an “upstander”
is someone who knows their person-
al strengths, be it creativity, public
speaking or otherwise, and leverages
them to act on injustice.
While CMHR recognizes an-
ti-apartheid activist Nelson Mandela
and Malala Yousafzai, who has advo-
cated for girls’ rights to education in
Pakistan, as upstanders, the Winni-
peg teacher said he wants students to
know they do not need a Nobel Peace
Prize to claim that title.
Last year, more than 600 final up-
stander projects were selected to
be on display at the CMHR’s spring
showcase.
The local contenders for the 2024
exhibition include projects out of Gen-
eral Byng School about topics ranging
from racism in classrooms to climate
change.
The Fort Garry school opened its
doors to families on Tuesday evening
to scan the student-made exhibits, in-
cluding dioramas and poster boards
that have been in the making for the
last three weeks.
“It gives kids agency. It provides
them with the sense that they can do
something about the problems that
they see,” said Matt Reimer, a teacher
at the kindergarten-to-Grade 9 build-
ing in Winnipeg’s Pembina Trails
School Division.
“They take pride in that, too, and
being able to share their opinions and
their beliefs.”
One group of Grade 8 girls chose
to study cellphone addiction in teen-
agers and promote mindfulness to
tackle the anxiety that can accom-
pany overuse.
“I can relate to this topic a lot,” said
Lily Crittin, who indicated she spends
anywhere from five to 10 hours on her
cellphone daily.
The 14-year-old said she uses her
phone to complete school work, al-
though her most-used apps are Tik-
Tok and Snapchat.
Lily and her classmates created
flyers to distribute to the public with
suggestions on how to reduce screen
time. Their list includes keeping a
phone outside of the bedroom, mon-
itoring phone use and trying out hob-
bies unrelated to technology, such as
reading and sports.
“Be mindful of your phone use.
Change starts with YOU,” the tip
sheet states.
“There’s a huge amount of kids
who feel anxious or uncomfortable
or unable to concentrate without the
presence of their phone,” said Divisha
Sharma, 13.
Divisha said a balance is needed
so teenagers can both live in the mo-
ment and access the benefits of in-
stant communication with their par-
ents and other people in their lives.
Students need to be wary of the pri-
vacy concerns related to using social
media, she added.
Members of the group said their re-
search and writing skills have proved
useful to spread awareness about the
issue of nomophobia — the fear of be-
ing detached from one’s phone — and
encourage mindful and careful use of
their personal devices.
maggie.macintosh@freepress.mb.ca
Initiative fosters belief kids can help solve
problems in their lives, those of others
MAGGIE MACINTOSH
MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS
General Byng School Grade 8 students (from left): Jamie Plett, Talena Perch, Divisha Sharma and Lily Crittin explain their Upstander project called Phone Addiction in Teens.
LOCAL JOURNALISM INITIATIVE REPORTER
Person in critical condition after Sargent Avenue fire
ONE person was rushed to hospital in
critical condition after a fire in a Sar-
gent Avenue convenience store early
Wednesday.
Crews were sent to the J&F Super-
market at 730 Sargent at 1:18 a.m., saw
heavy smoke coming from the building
and learned one person was trapped in-
side.
Firefighters entered the 24-hour
store and rescued the person. Crews in-
itially fought the fire from outside and
later entered the store to extinguish it,
declaring the fire under control at 2:33
a.m.
A portion of the store’s sign was melt-
ed, while part of its facade was charred
black. Blackened debris remained on
the sidewalk. A piece of yellow emer-
gency scene tape was discarded on a
nearby boulevard.
“Residents are asked to exercise cau-
tion in the area, as water used to fight
the fire has frozen and created slippery
conditions. City of Winnipeg crews are
monitoring conditions and applying
sand and de-icing agents to roadways
and sidewalks as required to improve
traction,” the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic
Service said in a news release Wednes-
day afternoon.
The fire was one of four that city
crews were sent to Tuesday night and
Wednesday morning.
The first was in a six-storey apart-
ment building on the 300 block of Prin-
cess Street at 9:01 p.m. Tuesday. Crews
quickly put the fire out.
Crews were sent to another fire in
a vacant two-storey house on the 100
block of Johnson Avenue West at 8:09
a.m. Wednesday. Crews declared the
fire under control at 9:25 a.m. The
house sustained smoke, water and fire
damage, the WFPS said.
Crews were sent to a detached garage
in the 300 block of Beliveau Road at
8:28 a.m. Firefighters saw heavy smoke
and flames coming from the garage
and nearby mobile home, as well as
downed power lines. The flames were
under control by 8:52 a.m. Residents of
the mobile home got out before crews
arrived. No one was injured.
fpcity@freepress.mb.ca
ERIK PINDERA / FREE PRESS
Fire damage at J&F Supermarket at Sargent Avenue and Beverley Street.
IN BRIEF
PERSON OF INTEREST
SOUGHT IN SLAYING
WINNIPEG police have publicly identified
the victim of a Sept. 10 homicide as Daniel
Raymond Garvey-Rodriguez.
Six months after the 25-year-old man was
found suffering from a gunshot wound outside
an apartment building
in the 200 block of
College Avenue, police
are asking for help
identifying a person of
interest in connection
with the killing.
Police didn’t say
in a news release
Wednesday whether
the pictured male
is a suspect in the
homicide. They released two images of a man
on a bicycle and asked for the public’s help
identifying him.
Police are asking anyone with information
on the unidentified male or the killing to call
the Winnipeg Police Service’s homicide unit at
204-986-6508 or Crime Stoppers anonymous-
ly at 204-786-8477 (TIPS).
MAN’S DEATH BEING
TREATED AS HOMICIDE
THE death of a man found in a Main Street
apartment suite is being investigated as a
homicide.
Police were sent to the building on the 800
block of Main regarding an unresponsive man
at about 9:15 a.m. Tuesday. The man was
transported to hospital and pronounced dead.
The Winnipeg Police Service is asking any-
one with video or information that might help
investigators to contact the homicide unit at
204-986-6508 or Crime Stoppers anonymous-
ly at 204-786-8477 (TIPS).
WINTER PARKING
BAN ENDS
WINNIPEG’S annual winter route parking
ban has been lifted, the City of Winnipeg
announced Wednesday.
The ban, which was put in place in mid-Janu-
ary, prohibited overnight parking between 2
a.m. and 7 a.m. on designated streets.
The city said it will continue to salt and
sand where necessary to improve traction on
streets, bridges and underpasses.
FOUR CHARGED OVER
CIGARETTE SALES
FOUR men are facing charges after police
searched two stores and seized cartons of
illegal cigarettes.
The Winnipeg Police Service’s north district
community support unit began an investiga-
tion into the sale of illegal tobacco at stores in
November. Investigators determined tobacco
and cannabis accessories were readily access-
ible and available for sale to people of all ages.
Police obtained search warrants under
Manitoba’s Tobacco Taxation Act, the Smoking
and Vapour Products Control Act and the
Cannabis Act for stores on the first 100 block
of Stadacona Street in Elmwood and the 200
block of Salter Street in the North End.
Investigators went to both stores Monday
and seized more than $11,000 in cash, along
with the tobacco and the cannabis products.
Four men — ages 41, 37, 37 and 34 — face
several charges related to contravening the
acts and possession of proceeds obtained by
crime. All were released from police custody
on undertakings.
U OF M PRESIDENT
RE-APPOINTED
MICHAEL Benarroch has been appointed to
a second five-year term as president and
vice-chancellor of the University of Manitoba.
The U of M’s board of governors unanimous-
ly approved the re-appointment at a meeting
Tuesday.
“I am excited for where we will take this
university and province in the next five years,”
Benarroch said in a news release Wednesday.
Benarroch, an economist, began the role
on July 1, 2020. He was the founding dean of
the faculty of business and economics at the
University of Winnipeg.
SUPPLIED
;