Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - March 21, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
REGISTER ONLINE AT VQCONFERENCE.COM
PROMOTING INDIGENOUS BUSINESS, COMMUNITY
AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
RBC CONVENTION
CENTRE WINNIPEG
May 15&16, 2024
FEATURING KEYNOTE PRESENTATIONS BY
FOR QUESTIONS CALL 1-800-557-8242
|
204-942-5049
Tatanka
Means
AWARD
WINNING
ACTOR/COMEDIAN
Lisa
Meeches
MENTOR,
ENTREPRENEUR,
PRODUCER
TRADE SHOW -
FREE PUBLIC ADMISSION
FEATURING BUSINESSES,
ARTISTS & CRAFTERS, SERVICE
ORGANIZATIONS, EDUCATION
& TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES
BANQUET ENTERTAINMENT
CANADA’S FUNNY MAN
Howie Miller
PLUS THE IVAN FLETT
MEMORIAL DANCERS
CONNECT WITH 1400+ PARTICIPANTS THROUGH:
PRE-CONFERENCE COURSES
◊
14 INTERACTIVE WORKSHOPS
CULTURAL PRESENTATIONS AND SHARING WITH ELDERS
◊
BUSINESS ADVICE
& NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES
◊
OVER 100 TRADE SHOW
EXHIBITS
DRAGON’S QUEST BUSINESS PLAN COMPETITION
◊
CELEBRATION BANQUET
Vision Quest Conferences Inc. is a registered charitable organization.
A COMMUNITY FUTURES
DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
INITIATIVE PRESENTED BY
DAKOTA OJIBWAY CFDC KITAYAN CFDCCEDAR LAKE CFDC NORTH CENTRAL CFDC SOUTHEAST CFDC
SAY YES TO ST. BONIFACE HOSPITAL
WE CAN DO AMAZING THINGS, TOGETHER.
CHOOSE 1 OF 6
GRAND PRIZES
BISON RUN, PRAIRIE POINTE,
HIGHLAND POINTE, BIG WHITE BC,
OR $1.25 MILLION CASH
2024
ALMOST
95% SOLD
GET YOUR
LIFE CHANGING
TICKETS TODAY
Become Manitoba's next GUARANTEED MILLIONAIRE!
DEADLINE MIDNIGHT MARCH 21
GRAND PRIZE DRAW APRIL 4, 2024
OVER 2,500 PRIZES – CASH OPTIONS ON EVERY PRIZE!
In the event of an advertising discrepancy, the official 2024 Mega Million Choices Lottery Rules and Regulations will apply without exception. *All images are for illustration
purposes, prizes may not be exactly as shown. *50/50 PLUS® tickets and BIG SCORE PLUS™ tickets can only be ordered with your 2024 Mega Million Choices main ticket
order. For complete rules and regulations go to: stbmegamillionchoices.ca. License Numbers: LGCA 1517-RF-42342, LGCA 1517-RF-42343, LGCA 1517-RF-42344
stbmegamillionchoices.ca
BUY
TODAY 204-256-7203
|
1-855-256-7203
1
for
$100 | 2
for
$175 | 4
for
$300 8
for
$500
2
for
$20 | 10
for
$40 | 30
for
$60 | 60
for
$80
2
for
$20 | 5
for
$40 | 15
for
$60 | 40
for
$80
TICKETS
$1,400,000 Winner takes half
236 WINNERS - $166,000 IN PRIZES
CURRENT JACKPOT OVER
LIMITED TICKET PACKS REMAIN
ALMOST GONE
SCAN TO ORDER
TICKETS
AVAILABLE
ONLINE OR
BY PHONE
ONLY
DEADLINE
MIDNIGHT
TONIGHT
D
O
N
’
T
M
I
S
S
O
U
T
!
WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM ●
A5
NEWS I TOP NEWS
THURSDAY, MARCH 21, 2024
Province to apologize
to men switched at birth
N
EARLY 70 years after they were switched
at birth in a rural Manitoba hospital, two
men are set to get a formal apology from the
provincial government.
Edward Ambrose and Richard Beauvais were
born on the same day at the same hospital in Ar-
borg in 1955. The babies were sent home with the
wrong families, and the error didn’t come to light
until more than six decades later via at-home an-
cestry DNA tests.
Today, Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew will offer
an apology to Ambrose and Beauvais in the legis-
lature, said the men’s lawyer Bill Gange. It’s ex-
pected both men will be present in the gallery.
Gange had been trying for more than two years
to get Manitoba to formally acknowledge the er-
ror. He reached out to the previous Progressive
Conservative government and the health minister
at the time, Audrey Gordon, issued a statement
through her office that said the Arborg hospital
was not under the province’s direction or control
in 1955.
But Gange said the province did have some in-
volvement.
“Two-thirds of the operating budget of any
hospital at the time would have been paid by the
provincial government, one-third by the munici-
palities,” he said.
Following last October’s provincial election,
Gange reached out to the NDP government — he
heard back this month that the government would
arrange a formal apology and a meeting with the
premier.
“I think that it will be an important step in the
journey of Mr. Beauvais and Mr. Ambrose in
terms of their own reckoning of the mistake that
was done to them,” Gange said.
It’s time for society to take responsibility for the
two being switched at birth, the lawyer continued.
“When mistakes happen, and a mistake like this
where a person grows up believing that they’re
somebody different than they really are, I think
that it’s important for society … in this case, the
Manitoba government, to take responsibility and
to step up and say, ‘we acknowledge that a wrong
was done to you, and we apologize as a society.’”
As for potential compensation, Gange said he
believes they should be given a financial settle-
ment, but there is no legal recourse at the provin-
cial level. The statute of limitations on cases like
this has expired.
Minister of Municipal and Northern Relations
Ian Bushie spoke publicly about the importance of
an apology when he was in Opposition. On Wed-
nesday, Bushie said it’s significant for the men to
engage with the premier in the legislature.
“I think it’s very important that we acknowledge
what’s been done,” Bushie said. He didn’t want to
comment on the possibility of a settlement.
Ambrose and Beauvais grew up separately, un-
aware of each other. Beauvais was raised Métis
and later moved to British Columbia, where he
still lives. He attended residential day school and
grew up believing he had Métis, Cree and French
heritage. Ambrose grew up in a Ukrainian family
in Manitoba. Both men suffered parental loss at a
young age and spent time in foster care. Ambrose
received his citizenship card from the Manitoba
Métis Federation last month, to recognize the
heritage he didn’t know he had until DNA results
showed he wasn’t biologically related to his sister.
Ambrose’s sister took a 23andMe DNA test,
which revealed she had a brother in B.C. She
reached out to Beauvais, did some digging and
confirmed the DNA results. The Ambrose family
reached out to Gange in March, 2022. The long-
time civil litigation lawyer had already been in-
volved in a switched-at-birth case that resulted in
a federal settlement.
Ambrose and Beauvais aren’t the only babies
who were switched at birth in Manitoba. Two other
cases were discovered 40 years later at a federal-
ly run hospital in Norway House in 1975. Garden
Hill residents Luke Monias and Norman Barkman
received a confidential amount of compensation
after they revealed in 2015 that DNA tests proved
they were switched at birth at the Norway House
Indian Hospital. That same year, Leon Swanson
and David Tait Jr. were also sent home with the
wrong parents, DNA revealed in 2016.
Health Canada investigated both cases and ul-
timately determined the switches were accidental
and that hospital identification bracelets weren’t
often used for babies at the time.
Beauvais and Ambrose are both grateful for
the families they were raised with, including the
foster families that later took them in, their law-
yer said. Neither Ambrose nor Beauvais could be
reached for comment Wednesday.
“Both of them were able to continue on, to grow
up and be healthy and productive people in their
lives, and they’re both very grateful for that,”
Gange said. “But at the same time, they recognize
that things were supposed to be very different
for them, so this apology is important to both of
them.”
— with files from Danielle Da Silva and The Canadian Press
katie.may@freepress.mb.ca
KATIE MAY
;