Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - March 25, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
MONDAY MARCH 25, 2024 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
SECTION B
CONNECT WITH WINNIPEG’S NO. 1 NEWS SOURCE
▼
CITY
●
BUSINESS
Troubled, shuttered apartment block slated for sale
A troubled, low-income apartment
block in the West End neighbourhood
is up for sale, months after the building
was shuttered due to failed safety in-
spections and dozens of residents were
forced into the streets.
The tumultuous saga of the Adanac
Apartments highlights the dangers of
providing low-income housing with-
out incorporating social supports, said
Marion Willis, executive director of St.
Boniface Street Links.
“This is a population plagued by a
multitude of challenges, addictions and
mental health primarily,” Willis said of
the building’s former tenants.
The Adanac, a 46-suite apartment
block at 737 and 743 Sargent Avenue,
was seized in a receivership granted
by the Winnipeg Court of King’s Bench
last December. The building is current-
ly listed for sale at $2.6 million, accord-
ing to a recent property summary.
The apartments had long been a
source of fires and crime, generating
hundreds of calls for service from
emergency responders since 2018, city
officials said previously.
The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Ser-
vice ordered the building to close last
August, following a failed fire-safety
inspection that revealed a dysfunc-
tional fire alarm system, insufficient
smoke alarms and limited access to
electricity, extinguishers and fire es-
capes.
Days after the order came down, doz-
ens of residents fled with their posses-
sions in hand, many of them destined
for homeless shelters or encampments.
“For me, when I look at the Adanac
now and I look at the various responses
of the Adanac being up for sale, does
that leave me feeling hopeful? Not real-
ly,” said Willis, whose organization for-
merly housed several tenants inside the
building.
The Adanac is one of many dilapidat-
ed properties that could be revitalized
to address Winnipeg’s ongoing “social
crises.” Its closure exemplifies what
happens when property owners provide
housing to high-risk tenants “without
any supports whatsoever” from senior
levels of government, she said.
For such buildings to be successful,
they must include in-house addictions,
mental health, justice and education
services that are available to tenants
24-7. While housing is the integral, first
step of addressing social challenges,
it cannot be successful without con-
sistent, immediate and low-barrier sup-
ports, she said.
“Bricks and mortar on its own will
not change a thing,” she said. “It’s about
coming up with a plan that considers all
of that, and how you keep the gangs and
the drug dealers out to keep the build-
ing a safe place for people to live and
begin to rebuild their lives. They are
not going to be able to do that on their
own.”
Additional funding for low-income
property owners is another import-
ant aspect of addressing Winnipeg’s
critically low affordable housing stock
because damage caused by tenants is
often financially unsustainable, Willis
added.
The Adanac property assessment
notes it has “extensive fire damage” in
at least five units, and most units suf-
fered significant damage due to the
“abrupt abandonment by the previous
tenants and their attempts to retrieve
personal items from the building.”
Additionally, the property’s common
areas — such as hallways, stairwells
and lobbies — need to be refinished and
the roof has not been inspected. The
sale of the building will be contingent
on court approval, it says.
The Free Press connected with the
Adanac’s former owners, who declined
to comment.
The provincial and municipal govern-
ments have each said they are commit-
ted to increasing Winnipeg’s housing
stock and addressing chronic homeless-
ness during their political tenure.
While the future of the Adanac build-
ing remains unclear, Willis hopes it
can one day be restored and serve as a
model of sustainable, supportive low-in-
come housing, she said.
tyler.searle@freepress.mb.ca
TYLER SEARLE
FREE PRESS FILES
The Adanac is one of many dilapidated
properties that could be revitalized.
Plenty of vehicles ticketed despite little snow
NOT much “white stuff” fell on Winni-
peg this winter, but drivers who parked
on the city’s designated snow routes
had to shell out a lot of green anyway.
In total, 5,046 drivers who failed to
obey the bylaw, which bans parking on
marked streets from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m.,
were both ticketed and towed, the City
of Winnipeg said.
The ban, which is imposed annual-
ly in the fall, was lifted by the city on
March 20 this winter.
Each driver was on the hook for a
$100 ticket ($75 if paid withing 14 days)
and a $130 towing bill.
“Oh my god, that’s ridiculous,” said
Ashton Zorn, who got up one morning
in February and saw an empty space on
the street where his vehicle had been
parked.
“I’d like to know why so many times
people were towed with so little snow
this year.”
This winter marked the second
year the municipal government ran
a campaign to warn drivers their ve-
hicles would be ticketed and towed if
they parked overnight on snow/winter
routes. The city wants streets free of
vehicles so snow-clearing can be con-
ducted. The number of cars ticketed
and towed dropped from the previous
year, when 5,558 were removed.
City statistics also show 2,326 vehi-
cles were ticketed (but not towed) be-
cause they had been parked on residen-
tial streets slated to be cleared after a
snowfall.
In total, it amounts to $655,980 in
towing bills and $737,200 in tickets
($552,900 if all were paid within 14
days).
Michael Cantor, the city’s manager of
street maintenance, said snow clearing
is just one reason for the parking ban.
“It is operationally driven,” he said.
“We have to do snow clearing, but we
also have to do ice control. We need to
put salt and sand on the street and it has
to be across the entire lane.”
Cantor said, although not ideal, salt
can be spread on a road with parked
vehicles, but it’s tough to spread sand,
which won’t cover the entire street if
cars are in the way.
“If the pavement is bare and there’s
no precipitation, there is no need for
salt or sand,” he said, adding if there is
ice, crews need to get to it.
As for how many vehicles are ticket-
ed and towed each winter, Cantor said a
major factor is the number of available
Winnipeg Parking Authority officers.
“There are many variables,” he said.
“It’s not the same time frame each win-
ter and it also depends on how many
units the (authority) has on a given
night.”
The bylaw changed after the winter
of 2021-22, when just two vehicles were
towed. In 2020-21, 18 cars were towed,
while five were removed in 2019-20.
The change meant the snow route ban
was no longer automatic and didn’t ne-
cessarily begin Dec. 1 and end March
31.
In the winter of 2022-23, 5,558 tickets
were handed out and 10,866 vehicles
were towed. It was also the first winter
the city started the ban when snow was
in the forecast and took it down when no
more snow was expected in the spring.
The snow route ban that winter began
Nov. 25, 2022, and ended March 17,
2023. This winter’s ban came late, not
beginning until Jan. 15 and ending on
March 20.
As for Zorn, he admits that even af-
ter being ticketed he rolled the dice and
continued to park on the street over-
night.
“I was playing with fire, for sure,” he
said laughing.
“I was tempting fate once the snow
was gone, but there would have been no
reason to tow it: there was no snow.”
kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca
KEVIN ROLLASON
MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS FILES
Ashton Zorn: ‘I’d like to know why so many times people were towed with so little snow.’
Environmental coalition sends postcards to legislature urging enshrinement of emissions reduction targets
Make Manitoba ‘part of the solution’
A
COALITION of environmental
groups hopes to combat climate
change by mailing dozens of post-
cards to the provincial legislature.
The postcards, addressed to Premier
Wab Kinew, call on the province to en-
shrine its emissions reduction targets
into legislation so “Manitoba can be
part of the solution” to climate change.
“Manitobans want protection from
the health consequences and econom-
ic costs of frequent extreme weather
events,” read the postcards, which were
distributed during a Manitoba Climate
Action Team event on Sunday.
“Our lives and the lives of future
generations depend on this decisive
action.”
The action team — which includes
representatives from Climate Change
Connection, Wilderness Committee,
Green Action Centre, Manitoba Energy
Justice Coalition and Canadian Centre
for Policy Alternatives — wants the
province to reduce its annual green-
house gas emissions by 45 per cent
before 2030, said communication man-
ager Bethany Daman.
The latest provincial targets, previ-
ously announced by the Progressive
Conservative government, aim to re-
duce such emissions by roughly 27 per
cent before 2027.
NDP Environment Minister Tracy
Schmidt has not announced any chan-
ges to the targets since taking office
last October.
Her portfolio includes responsibility
for Efficiency Manitoba — the govern-
ment arm in charge of cutting back on
provincial energy use — and the minis-
ter has been tasked with helping guide
Manitoba toward net-zero emissions by
2050.
Enshrining emissions targets into
legislation will ensure future polit-
icians remain accountable beyond “the
four-year cycle of government,” Da-
man said.
“Our goal is to bring people togeth-
er who are concerned about climate
change to be able to amplify their
voices in a way that really ends up mo-
tivating shifts at a provincial level,”
Daman said, speaking from the lobby
of the Park Theatre in south Osborne
where she helped host an Earth Month
kick-off party.
April is internationally recognized as
a month of environmental education,
acknowledgment and activism that cul-
minates annually with Earth Day on
April 22.
“We as Manitobans are incredibly
concerned about climate change, but
this isn’t something we can tackle on
our own. We need policy and system
level changes,” she said.
Public officials, including Kinew and
Schmidt, were not formally invited to
attend the party, Daman said.
Around 3 p.m., roughly an hour af-
ter the event began, a few dozen of the
postcards had been signed by attendees
and were waiting to be mailed. Daman
expected to gather more signatures be-
fore the event ended at 8 p.m.
The party also featured climate
change petitions, climate change liter-
ature, arts and crafts, live music and a
pop-up clothing and audio record swap
meet.
Winnipeg senior Pat Wally was
among those who signed one of the
postcards destined for the legislature.
“We need to make sure the gov-
ernment knows that the community
— young, old and middle aged — is
concerned. I feel the general public is
ahead of the curve over government
and they need to know we are all watch-
ing,” she said.
Wally, who is in her 70s, is part of a
fledgling group of senior climate ac-
tivists that is searching for Manitoba
members.
She attended the event in the hopes
of meeting other seniors who share her
concerns about the environment. While
she was mostly greeted by young and
middle-aged people during the time she
was at the party, the turnout gave her
hope, she said.
Daman said the Climate Action Team
will continue to collect and mail post-
cards to the premier throughout April.
Several other events, including a
virtual seminar on Indigenous archi-
tecture, group hikes through the As-
siniboine Forest, information sessions
and sustainability workshops will take
place during the month.
tyler.searle@freepress.mb.ca
TYLER SEARLE
JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS
Bethany Daman, communications manager for the Manitoba Climate Action Team, says the action team wants the province to reduce its
annual greenhouse gas emissions by 45 per cent before 2030.
;