Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - July 31, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Find It... Love It.. Buy It For Less!
APPY TIME
Buy One Appy
Get 2nd Half Off
with purchase of
Beverage. Dine in Only
Expires August 31, 2024
Open 9am-9pm
670 Sheppard St. (204) 633-2718
EVERYDAY FLOWERS,
WEDDINGS, FUNERALS
RECEIVE 10% OFF
YOUR FIRST IN PERSON
PURCHASE WITH
CODE WFP
Exp. Sept 20th, 2024
addisontaylordesign.com
33 Stapleton Street
+1 (204) 560 6446
To Book your End of Summer Savings for August 28th
Call Shelley Promotions at 204-223-1159 or ShelleyOstrove@gmail.com
CUSTOM BUILT SHEDS
MADE IN MANITOBA
DWIGHT BARKMAN
(204) 213-0766
beautifulsheds@gmail.com
beautifulsheds.ca
CHECK OUT
OUR WEBSITE
FOR DISCOUNT
PRICES
beautifulsheds.ca
We at BEAUTIFUL SHEDS are committed to working with
you, our valued customer to ensure you get the exact
garden shed or storage shed, to fit your need.
309 Des Meurons St.
at the corner of Des Meurons and Marion
204-417-0026
Gourmet Premium Hard Ice Cream
LARGEST Selection of small batch
house made ice cream
OVER 30 FLAVOURS
9 FLAVOURS of
Dairy Free/Vegan Ice Cream
50% off
ANY REGULAR
PRICED LARGE
PIZZA
Expires August 31, 2024
204-388-5000
11am- midnight
1420 Henderson Hwy.
8TH - 22ND AUGUST, 2024
25
%
OFF
Selected Brands
Expires September 3, 2024
Back to School Special
UP TO
We Accept Most Insurance Plans
• Contact Lenses & Fitting
• Comprehensive Eye Exam
We Carry All Luxury Brands
Book Your Eye Exam
English, Punjabi, & Hindi
Mon – Fri 10am – 6pm
Saturday 10 am – 5 pm
204-421-2100
100 - 1730 Leila Ave
info@blessoptical.com
www.blessoptical.com
CONTACT @ 204-807-3853
OR 204-881-0612
24/7
WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM ●
A5
MORE than 1,000 vulnerable
residents in northern Manitoba have
been sent south as wildfire smoke
encroaches on some First Nations
communities.
Smoke from an out-of-control
fire in northeastern Manitoba has
created issues in Red Sucker Lake,
Wasagamack and God’s Lake First
Nations.
The province said fire is not
threatening the communities, but
smoke is a health risk for the elderly,
young children and people with res-
piratory issues.
“The direction of the wind and
the humidity could allow the smoke
to stay closer to the ground and be
trapped in some of those commun-
ities,” said Earl Simmons, the prov-
incial wildfire service director.
“We’re sending water bombers,
and our crews are out there trying to
prevent that fire from reaching any
of those communities and the hydro
line.”
About 1,400 residents from the
three First Nations were sent to
Winnipeg or Brandon starting last
Friday, said Simmons.
The evacuations are “dynamic and
fluid” at this time, he added.
Another nearby community,
Manto Sipi Cree Nation, started
evacuations Tuesday for members
with the highest health concerns, the
Canadian Red Cross said.
The organization is supporting
more than 700 evacuees from the
affected communities, as well as
Marcel Colomb First Nation, which
ordered a complete evacuation last
week due to another wildfire.
Manitoba Keewatinowi Okima-
kanak, which represents most north-
ern First Nations in the province,
said this year’s evacuations have
gone ahead with minimal obstruc-
tions.
“The leadership in these commun-
ities have been very strong and very
proactive. That really makes a dif-
ference so that we’ll minimize any
kind of panic or chaos when they are
evacuating the communities,” Grand
Chief Garrison Settee said on Tues-
day.
The advocacy organization is
working with food bank Harvest
Manitoba to get supplies to evacuees.
Simmons said there have been
about 165 wildfires so far this year,
with 50 currently active, which is
below the average of 277 for the
same time in previous years.
“This fire activity just started up
in the last few weeks. Prior to that,
we had a good month or so with no
fire activity and a lot of rain across
the province,” said Simmons.
“We’ve got a fair bit of dry light-
ning coming through. Because of
these dry conditions they’re starting
fires. We’re trying to jump on those
fires before they get going.”
Fire crews from Ontario and water
bombers from Quebec have been
brought in to help with firefighting
efforts.
— The Canadian Press
NEWS I LOCAL / CANADA
WEDNESDAY, JULY 31, 2024
Action from PM needed on discrimination report
J
UST when I thought maybe — just
maybe — Canadian society has
made progress on racial discrimin-
ation, a disturbing report out of Ottawa
shows that white supremacy is alive
and well at the highest level of bureau-
cracy in the federal government.
The Coalition Against Workplace
Discrimination obtained an internal
report from the federal public service
that examined allegations of racial
discrimination against Black and other
racialized staff, including Indigenous
workers, in the Privy Council Office.
The report was released Monday.
What it found was a culture of white
supremacy where racial slurs are
common — including the use of the
N-word — and where non-white staff
are regularly passed up for promotions
in favour of their white colleagues.
“Black and racialized employees —
through dozens of examples of racial
stereotyping, microaggressions and
verbal violence — described a work-
place culture where such behaviour is
regularly practised and normalized,
including at the executive level,” the
report says.
The PCO is the highest level of bu-
reaucracy in the federal civil service.
It serves the Prime Minster’s Office
and cabinet and sets the tone for the
entire government. The clerk of the
PCO is the highest-ranking bureaucrat
in the federal government. It’s not a
stretch to say that what goes on in the
PCO likely has a cascading effect on
the rest of the federal civil service.
It is beyond dumbfounding that
this still goes on in any workplace in
Canada, much less at the most senior
level of administration in the federal
government.
People are seriously using the
N-word in the PCO? And according to
the report, they’re using it “comfort-
ably” in front of Black staff? You gotta
be kidding me. How is this happening
in 2024 and why haven’t heads rolled?
The report shows white employees
work in the PCO for longer periods
of time than non-white staff and are
“clustered in permanent and high-
er-level positions.” Non-Black em-
ployees of colour say they observed
anti-Black discrimination from man-
agers and employees that negatively
impacted the career advancements of
Black staff.
Staff “detailed a culture of whiteness
at the executive levels and the ways in
which a clear preference for whiteness
is pervasive at PCO,” the report says.
Many racialized employees who
were passed up for promotions had
high performance reviews but saw
white staff who trained with them
advance above their level. Also, Black
employees were “chastised or discour-
aged” from taking part in diversity,
equity and inclusion work, the report
says.
What’s shocking is no one seems
to be taking responsibility for this.
The silence from elected officials is
deafening.
“Racism and discrimination is never
acceptable,” Finance Minister Chrys-
tia Freeland said when asked about
the report Monday. “It’s not acceptable
anywhere in Canada, least of all inside
our government.”
That’s it? No followup? No public
statement that government is appalled
by these findings and that it is launch-
ing an inquiry into what is obviously a
toxic and grotesque culture at the high-
est level of the federal bureaucracy?
Instead, all Canadians get is a
talking-point answer from the finance
minister.
Where is Prime Minister Justin
Trudeau on this? Why has he not
launched a further review into these
findings and held senior bureaucrats
responsible for them?
When the PCO was asked for com-
ment on the report, it did not respond
to a request from The Canadian Press.
Senior bureaucrats obviously prefer to
bury the report instead.
It’s not surprising. It appears
government was planning to keep this
report under wraps all along. The only
reason it was released is because the
Coalition Against Workplace Discrim-
ination obtained it through a freedom
of information request. That means the
federal Liberal government — which
purports to be the great defender of ra-
cial equality — was happy to withhold
this information from the public.
The question now is, where else
in the federal public service is this
happening? It’s a broader question that
should be examined.
If this is the tone set at the highest
level of administration in the federal
government, it likely exists elsewhere.
If white supremacy and racism have
been normalized at that level, chances
are it has a cascading effect on other
levels of the bureaucracy.
More importantly, it’s devastating
for Black and other racialized staff
who have to endure this level of hatred
and exclusion by white managers and
employees.
This report should be dealt with by
the prime minister and cabinet. Just
because it was released in the dead of
summer when few people pay attention
to politics or what’s going on in Ottawa,
doesn’t mean it should collect dust on
some bureaucrat’s shelf.
Canadians should be very disturbed
by this.
tom.brodbeck@freepress.mb.ca
TOM BRODBECK
OPINION
Northern First Nations sending
residents south due to wildfire smoke
BRITTANY HOBSON
PROVINCE TRUMPETS
$49M IN ROAD REPAIRS
THE provincial government is touting
$49 million in southern Manitoba road
repairs and construction projects to enhance
safety and strengthen the economy.
“People throughout southern Manitoba
can look forward to improved driving condi-
tions on important routes,” Transportation
and Infrastructure Minister Lisa Naylor said
in a press release Tuesday.
Projects recently completed, currently
underway or scheduled to start imminently
include reconstruction of the southbound
lanes on a section of Highway 75 and the
completed intersection reconstruction of the
Trans-Canada Highway at Deacon’s Corner.
Rural Municipality of Montcalm Reeve Paul
Gilmore said the Highway 75 repairs are long
overdue.
“I’m certain our ratepayers will applaud
this initiative along with the thousands of
travellers on this major highway connecting
Manitoba to our southern neighbours,” he
said in the press release.
This year’s provincial budget included
$500 million in capital funding to repair and
rebuild Manitoba’s highways and public
infrastructure.
NEW ACCESSIBLE SPRAY
PAD OPENS IN MAPLES
A state-of-the-art, 3,000-square-foot
accessible spray pad and playground opened
Tuesday at Adsum Park in The Maples.
The $1.7-million recreational infrastructure
received funding from all three levels of
government and the neighbourhood.
In addition to the new spray pad and play-
ground, the project included new asphalt
pathways, seating areas, fencing, benches,
picnic tables, a bike rack, shade structures
and upgraded landscaping.
The park upgrades received $400,000 from
the federal Canada Community Building
Fund, $545,000 from the provincial Building
Sustainable Communities Program, $723,000
from the City of Winnipeg, and $50,000 from
Maples Recreation Association Inc.
IN BRIEF
;