Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 1, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
For more information
Call: 204-697-7001
or 1-800-542-8900
to suspend your print delivery, or visit
winnipegfreepress.com/customer_service
Winnipeg Free Press general contest rules apply.
PLUS, you will be entered
into a weekly draw for a
chance to win 1 of 5,
$
15 gift
cards to Save-On-Foods!
Gift card draws will take place every Monday for the preceding week. Winners will be contacted by phone and cards
will be available for pick-up at Winnipeg Free Press. Winners do have an option to receive the card by mail, but the
Winnipeg Free Press will not take responsibility for any cards not received in this manner. Gift card promotion runs
from June 24, 2024 through September 9, 2024. All winners must collect their card by October 1, 2024.
Hospital
Vacation
Donation
Program
By choosing to keep your
digital access, you will be
directly supporting our
hospital patient program!
Going on Holidays?
TAKE US WITH YOU!
Enjoy full digital access
while vacation.
$
15
HOME DELIVERY SUBSCRIBERS
THURSDAY, AUGUST 1, 2024
B2
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
NEWS I CITY / PROVINCE
A provincial spokesperson said the residen-
tial tenancies branch’s investigation is currently
underway.
Reed has since moved to a new home, where he
feels safer. He’d like to see a more accessible av-
enue for tenants seeking support, such as a 24-7
phone line. He’d also like to see Vasas penalized
for the evictions at 285 College.
“It is the inhumanity and the psychopathy of
someone to put profit ahead of people, with no re-
gard for legislation, which I find really shocking
and hypocritical,” he said.
Meanwhile, it was quiet at the College Avenue
building Wednesday morning. The fire escape
doors had been propped open as renovations con-
tinued and security vans remained parked along
the street.
A sign on the building warned tenants that au-
thorities had “master key access to building” and
would be patrolling when necessary.
“Govern yourself accordingly,” the sign read.
One tenant, who asked to not be named, was
scrambling outside the building. She said she was
never told who her new landlord was, and doesn’t
know where or to whom the rent should be paid.
“(Employment and Income Assistance) wants
that information before my rent is paid, and to-
morrow’s (Aug. 1),” she said.
The woman was one of the tenants recently
evicted and stayed in a hotel on an emergency
basis covered by the Jordan’s Principle program
and, briefly, with family in Sagkeeng First Nation,
before moving back in with her three-year-old
child.
“I had no choice but to move back here, because
it’s hard finding a place… I’m still looking for a
new place, but for now, it’s within my budget,” she
said.
“I have to stay here. I have no choice.”
malak.abas@freepress.mb.ca
LANDLORD ● FROM B1
Ticketmaster offered affected account holders
complimentary, one-year credit and identity mon-
itoring.
While Peters can’t conclusively say the data
breach was to blame for the unauthorized charge
on his credit card, the experience cemented his
feelings about the company.
The soured music fan wants to see Live Na-
tion and Ticketmaster break up the monopoly on
ticket sales to make events more accessible for
fans. He’d also like to see damages paid to affect-
ed customers for the grief of the data breach.
“But it would take more than that for me to ac-
tually go back to buying Ticketmaster tickets,” he
said.
- with files from the Canadian Press
nicole.buffie@freepress.mb.ca
TICKETS ● FROM B1
The province and city argued that the issue of
overpayments could and should have been raised
through processes available under the Provincial
Offences Act. The two governments contended
that it was an attempt to re-litigate criminal pro-
ceedings through the civil courts. Such attempts
are regularly tossed out as an abuse of process.
Alternatively, the governments argued, the
causes of action were doomed to fail, as they lack
constituent elements.
Acheson argued the claim does not abuse pro-
cess, as he is not challenging the speeding con-
victions, but the correct amount of the fines, to
which Chartier agreed.
Acheson also argued the claim raises reason-
able causes of action.
While Chartier ruled the claim has merit re-
lating to the governments allegedly enriching
themselves unjustly and making negligent mis-
representations, he disagreed that the province
and city fraudulently misrepresented the matter.
The judge instead ruled the allegations are only
that the governments were aware or should have
been aware the tickets weren’t issued properly.
He also decided rectification — a remedy where
a court orders a change to a written document to
indicate what it should have said originally — did
not apply as a cause of action, as tickets don’t con-
stitute a contract or agreement.
erik.pindera@freepress.mb.ca
PHOTO RADAR ● FROM B1
STUDENT AID UPDATING
ALLOWANCES
THE province is making sure Manitoba Student Aid shelter
allowances more accurately reflect actual housing and
rental costs for the upcoming academic year.
Beginning Aug. 1, student aid shelter allowances will
reflect 2022 Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. rental
data, the province said Wednesday in a news release.
To date, shelter allowances for student aid have been
aligned with 1998 CMHC rental rates and updated annually
based on the Consumer Price Index inflation rate. Since
then, rental costs increased above the rate of general
inflation.
Shelter allowances are used to calculate Manitoba
Student Aid applicants’ expenses, based on their living
situation and location of studies. The information is used
to determine financial needs and the amount of funding
awarded to applicants.
Updating the rate used to determine shelter costs brings
the province in line with recent changes announced to the
Canada Student Financial Assistance program. The federal
government also plans to use 2022 CMHC data to calculate
loan amounts for the 2024-2025 school year.
Aligning the way shelter allowances are calculated
means Manitoba can continue to use one needs assess-
ment to administer both provincial and federal student
financial assistance, the release said.
Manitoba Student Aid delivers federal and provincial
financial assistance to supplement post-secondary
education costs. It is available to residents studying in and
outside the province.
A REQUEST FOR
BLOOD DONATIONS
CANADIAN Blood Services is calling on Winnipeggers to
include a blood donation in their long-weekend plans.
Though hospitals have enough blood to meet current
needs, donations are falling short of ongoing demand, the
organization says.
A donor centre at 777 William Ave. will be open this
weekend — Friday, Saturday and Monday — with 322
available appointments to fill.
“Every available appointment needs to be filled this
weekend, and throughout the summer, to ensure there is
always enough blood and plasma available for patients
when and where they need it,” the news release says.
According to Canadian Blood Services, just one in 76 Can-
adians donates blood, despite one in two being eligible.
“This dedicated but small group of donors have been
supporting patients in Canada,” the release says, adding
new donors are needed to keep pace with growing
demand.
There is a particular need for those with O-negative,
O-positive or B-negative blood types.
With recent changes to donation criteria, Blood Services
notes, those deemed ineligible in the past could be able to
donate now.
To book an appointment, visit blood.ca, download the
“GiveBlood” app, or call 1-888-236-6283.
MEN ARRESTED AFTER
LENGTHY CHASE
WINNIPEG police arrested two men after a lengthy stolen
vehicle chase culminated at Charleswood Road and Roblin
Boulevard early Wednesday.
Officers spotted a stolen truck being driven in the Varsity
View neighbourhood of southwest Winnipeg shortly after
1 a.m. and, along with other patrol and tactical officers,
unsuccessfully tried to stop it.
The Winnipeg Police Service helicopter pilot located the
vehicle from the air, allowing officers on the ground to
follow for about 40 minutes, including on a section of the
Perimeter Highway and into Headingley.
Police used stop sticks – devices that puncture tires
when driven over – to get the vehicle to stop. No one was
reported hurt.
Police confirmed the vehicle, a 2006 Ford 350 pickup
truck, was stolen in Portage la Prairie. Officers arrested
two men and found cocaine and meth.
A 34-year-old man from Winnipeg has been charged
with dangerous driving, fleeing police, drug possession,
possession of an identity documents, possession of prop-
erty obtained by crime over and under $5,000 and with six
court order breaches. He was detained.
A 46-year-old man from Winnipeg has been charged
with drug possession and possession of property obtained
by crime over and under $5,000. He was released on a
promise to appear.
SUSPECTS SOUGHT AFTER
MAN SHOT IN RIVERTON
A MAN from Lynn Lake was hospitalized in stable condi-
tion after he was shot in a home in Riverton on Sunday.
RCMP from the nearby Gimli detachment were called
to the home at about 10:50 p.m., where they were told
four men, one of whom had a gun, had come inside and
confronted two other men.
Amid the altercation, one of the suspects fired the gun.
A 44-year-old man from Lynn Lake was hospitalized
in stable condition, while the other man in the house, a
33-year-old from Riverton, wasn’t hurt.
Mounties are asking for anyone with information to call
the Gimli detachment at 204-642-5106 or Crime Stoppers
anonymously at 1-800-222-8477.
IN BRIEF
Speed likely a factor in fatal
four-vehicle Perimeter crash: RCMP
P
RELIMINARY evidence gathered by Manitoba
RCMP suggests the four-vehicle collision that
killed a man in his 20s and seriously injured
another on the south Perimeter Highway early
Tuesday was likely caused by speeding.
Three pickup trucks and a semi-trailer crashed
at the intersection of Highway 15 and Highway 101
at about 12:35 a.m. Tuesday. The first pickup truck
made contact with another truck while the three
pickups were travelling westbound on Highway 15.
The crash caused the second pickup truck to
hit the third one, and both went through the inter-
section.
The driver of the first pickup was pronounced
dead at the scene, while the second pickup driver
was hospitalized.
The semi-trailer had been stopped at a red light
in the southbound lane of the Perimeter Highway,
said RCMP.
On Wednesday, RCMP spokesman Sgt. Paul
Manaigre said Mounties are still gathering further
information about how fast the vehicles were trav-
elling, but investigators believe speed was a factor.
“Based on the officers speaking with the other
two drivers, it would appear that the deceased
driver had come from behind them at a very high
rate of speed,” said Manaigre.
“We don’t know how fast the other two were go-
ing but if this is correct, that would explain how
the second truck was clipped if he wasn’t able to
control his truck.”
The semi-trailer driver, a 69-year-old who wasn’t
hurt, also told RCMP that he saw the truck that hit
him going at a “very high rate of speed.”
“Our traffic analyst will be examining the data
from each of the vehicles to see if that (speed) in-
formation can be retrieved,” said Manaigre.
“Hopefully they’ll be able to get better info from
each of the vehicles in order to get a better picture
of what took place.”
The Oakbank RCMP detachment is leading the
investigation. Officers from multiple detachments,
as well as the Winnipeg Police Service, responded
to the collision.
erik.pindera@freepress.mb.ca
ERIK PINDERA
TYLER SEARLE / FREE PRESS FILES
Tenants getting kicked out of 285 College Ave. sparked a bad memory for one of the landlord’s former tenants.
Birchwood Terrace
residents allowed inside
There were tears and hugs as tenants who’ve been liv-
ing away for nearly three months were finally allowed
to return to their suites at Birchwood Terrace this week
in order to pack their things after being evacuated in
May because of dangerous structural issues in the west
Portage Avenue apartment complex.
Judith Stanley, one of about 250 tenants who received
12 hours’ notice to get out of the property after an
emergency order was issued, said Lakewood Agencies
building management has scheduled times this week
for people to remove their belongings.
No one is allowed to stay in the building yet, she said.
“It was very emotional,” she said.
Structural damage was found on several steel sup-
ports in the underground parkade and residents were
removed May 9.
A recent email from management suggested the
earliest possible date for people to move back into their
suites is Sept. 1, with details to be provided sometime
after mid-August.
Stanley has been able to move approximately 30
boxes of her belongings and isn’t done yet.
“We’re still not allowed to take out any furniture or
anything like that,” she said. “It’s still going to be a long
haul.”
;