Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 1, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
THURSDAY AUGUST 1, 2024 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
SECTION B
CONNECT WITH WINNIPEG’S NO. 1 NEWS SOURCE
▼
CITY
●
BUSINESS
Man’s card hit for US$2.1K
in Ticketmaster breach
Class-action
lawsuit just
the ticket:
ex-client
NICOLE BUFFIE
A WINNIPEGGER whose credit card
was compromised in a recent Ticket-
master security breach wants to see a
class-action lawsuit launched against
the entertainment-industry giant.
The federal privacy commissioner
announced Wednesday it would be in-
vestigating Ticketmaster’s practices
with respect to security safeguards and
whether the company complied with
breach notification requirements.
Geoff Peters was reading a Free
Press story detailing another Mani-
toban’s experience of being skimmed
thousands of dollars from her Ticket-
master-linked credit card when he
checked his Visa statement.
He found a July 14 charge for
US$2,100 to the American Registry of
Pathology, a medical book company
based in Maryland.
“I’m like, ‘This doesn’t sound like
anything I would have ever bought, let
alone spend more than my entire pay-
cheque on, on a Saturday night,” Peters
said Wednesday.
Ticketmaster, owned by U.S.-based
Live Nation Entertainment Inc., noti-
fied customers in early July that “an
unauthorized third party” snagged
information from a cloud database in
April and May.
The company said the accessed
data could have included customers’
names, basic contact information and
payment-card information such as en-
crypted credit or debit card numbers
and expiration dates.
Peters never received a notification
from Ticketmaster that his information
was included in the breach, but the tim-
ing raised red flags.
“This is the only account that it could
have happened to,” he said. “It just
seemed too coincidental to be a coinci-
dence.”
He later found out the same company
tried to charge another $1,500 to his
card, but the purchase was flagged and
declined.
The Winnipegger hasn’t used his
Ticketmaster account in nearly a
year; he began boycotting the Califor-
nia-based company when ticket prices
increased exponentially and became
too expensive to justify buying.
“It’s always been at the top of my
least-favourite companies and I would
love if there was some class-action law-
suit,” he said.
Privacy Commissioner of Canada
Philippe Dufresne said the investiga-
tion will help the agency understand
why the cyber incident happened and
what must be done to prevent it from
happening again.
This is not the first time Ticket-
master has faced a federal investiga-
tion and litigation; in 2019 the company
was ordered to pay $4.5 million to set-
tle misleading pricing claims in online
ticket sales after its 2010 amalgamation
with events promoter and venue oper-
ator Live Nation.
Dufresne says data breaches have
surged over the last decade and have
increased in both their scale and com-
plexity.
‘Painful memories’ for ex-tenant of North End landlord
A FORMER tenant of the landlord who
suddenly evicted residents of a North
End apartment block earlier this month
claims he was forced to leave his West
Broadway residence after the same in-
dividual subjected him to harassment
and bullying.
Christopher Reed says he filed a
complaint with the Manitoba Human
Rights Commission against 211 Furby
Ltd., alleging its sole director, Kelly
Vasas, threatened him with illegal evic-
tion, shut off his power and removed his
door during his time living at the prop-
erty from 2016 to 2021.
Vasas took ownership of 285 College
Ave. the day before dozens of tenants
were evicted without notice July 12.
Days later, the province stepped in, pro-
viding 24-hour security and “helping
tenants return to their units immedi-
ately.”
Reed said he’s speaking out because
watching the news about the residents
at 285 College “brought back painful
memories” of Vasas and his time living
at 211 Furby St.
“I had that God-awful feeling of be-
ing displaced when I saw those other
tenants,” he said.
Reed, a member of Rolling River
First Nation, has a disability as a result
of post-traumatic stress disorder and
said Vasas used racial slurs, threatened
him and, on one occasion, removed his
suite’s front door while he was away.
By December 2021, the aggression
escalated to the point where Reed al-
leges the power to his suite was turned
off on more than one occasion, includ-
ing Christmas Eve.
“I slept with my winter jacket on and
several layers for warmth,” he said. “I
was unable to use the washroom facili-
ties in my suite or use the kitchen sink.”
Vasas’s lawyer Gary Sinnock said his
client had no comment.
Reed said he believes Vasas was at-
tempting a “renoviction” — where
a landlord evicts tenants, renovates
suites and hikes the rent — and he got
help through Legal Aid Manitoba.
Reed’s lawyer at the time, James
Beddome, called the situation “easily
the worst tenancy dispute” he had dealt
with and said learning recently that
Vasas was the landlord at 285 College
Ave. wasn’t a shock.
“It’s sad to say, but it wasn’t surpris-
ing,” he said.
Beddome said Reed is filing a human
rights complaint, in part, because the
residential tenancies branch claims
the process is “paper-intensive” and
doesn’t account for many tenant issues
— it’s difficult to prove how much a per-
son may have lost financially if they ha-
ven’t kept records of furniture that was
illegally thrown out or the impact an
abusive landlord can have on a tenant,
for example.
“This (case) definitely stands out
as particularly bad that way, because
there were so many issues, and also, it
also stands out in terms of lack of rem-
edies,” he said.
“Part of the challenge is the resi-
dential tenancies branch cannot give
awards for pain, suffering emotional
distress.”
MALAK ABAS
Improvements in the inner city
B
ESIDE a community centre on
Burrows Avenue, an excavator
scoops up dirt at the future
home of a new basketball court and
playground.
All three levels of government
broke ground Wednesday morning at
the Northwood Community Centre
to mark the start of the recreational
area, designed to provide inner-city
kids with a sense of belonging.
“The Northwood Community Cen-
tre has always been a hub of activity,
a place where families gather, friend-
ships are formed and memories are
made,” said Point Douglas Coun. Viv-
ian Santos. “With these new enhance-
ments we’re not only improving the
physical landscape but also fostering
an environment that promotes health,
wellness and inclusivity.”
Santos, newly appointed as the
chair of community services, said the
recreation area will offer a safe space
for youth.
Liberal MP Kevin Lamoureux
(Winnipeg North) and NDP MLA
Diljeet Brar (Burrows), who repre-
sent the area, said the upgrades will
help make the community stronger
and healthier.
The project, funded by Ottawa,
the province and the city, will cost
$602,000. It’s expected to be complet-
ed by fall or spring next year.
Santos said there are similar pro-
jects in the works in other parts of the
city, including the addition of splash
pads to Tyndall Park.
“We know that the inner city, espe-
cially the downtown and inner city
that surrounds the downtown, require
some more significant investments,”
Santos said. “As a kid and as a family
growing up, a lot of these after-school
activities are becoming quite expen-
sive, so if the city can participate in
that way with these new recreation-
al amenities, that’s our way of sup-
porting them.”
Sel Burrows, a longtime activist and
Point Douglas community leader, said
while the addition of new recreation
spaces is good, it’s just a drop in the
bucket. There also needs to be a focus
on providing funding for free pro-
gramming, he said.
Burrows used to be a recreation
director and said he’s seen the city’s
commitment to recreation in the in-
ner city disappear over the years. He
said leadership and organized activ-
ities are crucial to keeping youth out
of crime.
“One of the things I learned over
the years is kids vote with their feet.
If there’s good programming, they’ll
show up en masse,” Burrows said
Wednesday. “One of the problems we
have in the inner city is most of the
community centres, they don’t have
leadership that knows how to organ-
ize programs that kids want to go to.”
Community centres, school gyms
and churches are “hopping” in com-
munities outside the inner city, he
said, adding free activities are a big
draw.
“It’s really important to have the fa-
cilities, but there’s got to be activities.
There’s got to be teams,” Burrows
said. “There’s got to be things that
kids can belong to and feel part of.”
Burrows wants to see a profession-
al recreational director in each in-
ner-city community.
“If you give kids something posi-
tive to do, they will do that. If you
don’t give kids something positive to
do, they will do negative things,” said
Burrows.
jura.mcilraith@freepress.mb.ca
Community activist says quality activities
can help youth steer clear of trouble
JURA MCILRAITH
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
(From left) Diljeet Brar, Kevin Lamoureux, Michelle Cooke, Vivian Santos, Marsha Missyabit and Lora Meseman break ground on a new basketball court and playground.
● TICKETS, CONTINUED ON B2
● LANDLORD, CONTINUED ON B2
Judge opens door to class-action photo radar suit
A JUDGE has given the green light for
a proposed class-action lawsuit to pro-
ceed against the provincial government
and City of Winnipeg over photo-radar
tickets.
The province had tried to have the
claim tossed out of court.
In a 2022 statement of claim filed in
the Court of King’s Bench, later amend-
ed, William Acheson of Winnipeg al-
leged the fine he paid after getting
ticketed by photo radar should have
been lower, due to the provincial legis-
lation being applied in error from Nov.
20, 2017, to Nov. 12, 2021.
His claim argues that thousands of
other drivers caught speeding via photo
radar should get partial refunds of their
paid fines, amounting to approximate-
ly $36 million in alleged overcharges
when combined.
Acheson filed the suit against the
provincial government — which col-
lects the revenue from photo enforce-
ment tickets under the Highway Traffic
Act and provides some to the city. A
judge has yet to certify the lawsuit as
a class action and it has not been heard
fully in court.
Acheson alleges that Manitoba and
Winnipeg were not calculating the
fines consistent with the governing
regulation, with the charges accruing
on each kilometre per hour “in excess
of 10 km/h” over the speed limit, but
were instead calculating the fines with
the charges accruing on each kilometre
per hour over the speed limit.
The province brought a motion seek-
ing to have the claim struck, arguing it
is an abuse of court process and has no
reasonable cause of action.
Acheson filed a motion seeking to add
the city as a defendant, which the city
resisted for similar reasons as the prov-
ince’s motion to strike, as well as argu-
ing he was barred by the Public Offi-
cers and Police Services acts, which
grant immunity from doing so.
In a written decision issued last week,
King’s Bench Justice Gerald Chartier
rejected the provincial government’s
motion and allowed the addition of the
city as a defendant, but struck out por-
tions of Acheson’s claim that alleged the
province made fraudulent misrepre-
sentations and sought rectification.
ERIK PINDERA
● PHOTO RADAR, CONTINUED ON B2
;