Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 2, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
A2
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
NEWS
FRIDAY, AUGUST 2, 2024
VOL 153 NO 222
Winnipeg Free Press est 1872 / Winnipeg Tribune est 1890
2023 Winnipeg Free Press,
a division of FP Canadian Newspapers Limited Partnership.
Published six days a week in print and always online
at 1355 Mountain Avenue,
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R2X 3B6, PH: 204-697-7000
CEO / MIKE POWER
Editor / PAUL SAMYN
Associate Editor Enterprise / SCOTT GIBBONS
Associate Editor News / STACEY THIDRICKSON
Associate Editor Digital News / WENDY SAWATZKY
Director Photo and Multimedia / MIKE APORIUS
NEWSMEDIA COUNCIL
The Winnipeg Free Press is a member of the National
Newsmedia Council, which is an independent organization established
to determine acceptable journalistic practices and ethical behaviour. If
you have concerns about editorial content, please send them to:
editorialconcerns@freepress.mb.ca.
If you are not satisfied with the response and wish to file a formal
complaint, visit the website at www.mediacouncil.ca and fill out the
form or call toll-free 1-844-877-1163 for additional information.
ADVERTISING
Classified (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7100
wfpclass@freepress.mb.ca
Obituaries (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7384
Display Advertising : 204-697-7122
FP.Advertising@freepress.mb.ca
EDITORIAL
Newsroom/tips: 204-697-7292
Fax: 204-697-7412
Photo desk: 204-697-7304
Sports desk: 204-697-7285
Business news: 204-697-7292
Photo REPRINTS:
libraryservices@winnipegfreepress.com
City desk / City.desk@freepress.mb.ca
CANADA POST SALES AGREEMENT NO. 0563595
Recycled newsprint is used in the
production of the newspaper.
PLEASE RECYCLE.
INSIDE
Arts and Life C1
Classifieds D8
Comics C5
Diversions C6,7
Horoscope C6
Jumble C6
Miss Lonelyhearts C6
Opinion A6,7
Sports D1
Television C4
Weather C8
COLUMNISTS:
Tom Brodbeck B1
READER SERVICE ● GENERAL INQUIRIES 204-697-7000
CIRCULATION INQUIRIES
MISSING OR INCOMPLETE PAPER?
Call or email before 10 a.m. weekdays
or 11 a.m. Saturday
City: 204-697-7001
Outside Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900 press 1
6:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday-Friday.;
7 a.m. - noon Saturday; Closed Sunday
TO SUBSCRIBE: 204-697-7001
Out of Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900
The Free Press receives support from
the Local Journalism Initiative funded
by the Government of Canada
Meanwhile, residents of a neighbour-
ing four-suite building have been un-
able to return to their homes since July
5, when city bylaw officers ordered
them to evacuate.
“I’ve had to come to the realization
that I’m going to have to find another
place to live,” said one man who has
been staying in hotel rooms. “It’s a
long-running, not funny joke.”
The man, who did not want to be
identified, said his landlord is subsi-
dizing his lodgings at $40 per day, but
he is left to pay the remaining expense
out of pocket.
He has been unable to return to his
home to retrieve his belongings, and
is suffering with significant mental
anguish as a result of being displaced,
he said.
“It feels like I am super isolated for
reasons that are not my fault,” he said.
“There needs to be some clarity, some
long-term vision about what (evacuees)
are supposed to do.”
Gillingham said long-term aid for
displaced residents falls under the
purview of the province, pointing to
the Residential Tenancies Branch as a
possible avenue for support.
Sheldon Blank, the owner of Winni-
peg’s former Vulcan Iron Works site in
Point Douglas, said he spent thousands
of dollars fighting to demolish the
property after it burned in several
fires over the last year.
The city ordered him to complete an
emergency demolition, but work was
halted for several months after the
province identified asbestos.
“The city said do it, the province
said don’t. That’s the quandary I was
in,” he said. “I was subject to fines, I
was subject to ridicule and everything
under the sun….What (the govern-
ments) did was inappropriate. There
should be a proper, reasonable policy
to deal with it.”
Blank suggested the province ex-
plore the possibility of tax incentives,
grants or support programs for prop-
erty owners to assist in the removal of
asbestos-containing materials.
Inspectors should also consider the
amount of asbestos that is present in a
building before it halts demolition ef-
forts, he said, describing the approach
as heavy-handed.
“There’s a thing called reasonable-
ness and if that was applied, none of
these sites would be a problem.”
Many building materials used prior
to 1990 contain asbestos, including
pipe wrap, insulation, tiles, drywall
compound, ceiling tiles and window
sealant.
The microscopic fibres in asbestos,
if inhaled, can remain embedded in
lungs for years. Over time, inflamma-
tion and scarring can lead to cancer.
“As such, Manitoba laws assume sus-
pect materials as containing asbestos
unless proven otherwise and imple-
ments measures to prevent exposures,”
the spokesperson said.
“Enforcement officers consider the
date of construction and any subse-
quent renovations when determining
whether there are suspect materials
in a structure, an approach consistent
with other Canadian jurisdictions.”
The spokesperson noted that identi-
fying asbestos becomes increasingly
difficult post-demolition because it is
difficult to test and isolate contaminat-
ed materials.
City communications officer Kalen
Qually said municipal staff will contin-
ue to work with the contractor at the
McDermot site and with the province
to resolve the stop-work order.
“We do expect there will be schedule
delays as a result, but the city intends
to continue with demolition and clean-
up of the site as soon as possible,” he
said, adding evacuated residents will
be permitted to return to their homes
as soon as possible.
tyler.searle@freepress.mb.ca
“But (church officials) moved him to
Regina and he remains there, as far as
I know.”
The Free Press was unable to reach
Turcoane, who operated Father’s Fur-
niture store in Regina.
The arrest came after two years of
searching for possible witnesses, tak-
ing multiple statements and obtaining
a search warrant to access historic
church records stored in Toronto.
RCMP also issued a media release in
Saskatchewan hoping for leads. Many
of the people who would be of interest
in the case have either left the prov-
ince or are deceased, Church said.
“Today’s the first step,” he said. “We
have tried to reach out to, and have
reached out to, people disclosed by the
survivor, who has told us names. We’ve
reached out to those, some we’ve had
difficulty finding.”
Church has kept in regular contact
with the woman, who he said was
“very emotional” that her story was
being told.
“She’s happy we’re doing this at this
time,” he said. “She wants this fellow
to face the court system and pay for
what happened and she wants some of
the people she went to church with to
come forward and get involved.”
The incident has rocked the small
community, which Church described
as being “in the middle of nowhere.”
There are fewer than 1,500 people
living in the RM of Riding Mountain
West.
“It shocked the community… people
most likely have forgotten all of this.
And it’s all coming back to everybody
now… we’ve had phone calls here and
people are upset,” he said.
“A lot of memories are coming back
to them and maybe ones they’ve for-
gotten, so it’s difficult.”
Anyone with information is asked to
call Russell RCMP at 204-773-2675.
Coral Kendal, executive director
of the Survivor’s Hope Crisis Centre,
which operates in the Interlake-East-
ern region, said it can be more difficult
for victims to report a sexual assault
in a rural community.
“…What it might mean to actually go
through the steps of making the report
and attending a trial and the stigma
that is more prevalent in a small town,
because everybody knows everybody
and is in everybody’s business,” she
said.
“That figurehead or a person of
power is known by the entire commu-
nity, and so there’s a lot more weight to
coming out against that person, and it
can actually ostracize the survivor.”
It is never too late to come forward
about sexual violence, Kendal said.
“Folks who are hearing this story
now and it’s bringing up feelings for
them about their own experiences, it’s
never too late to talk about that and to
be supported it in that,” she said.
Last March, retired Catholic priest
Arthur Massé was acquitted of inde-
cent assault on an Indigenous girl at
Fort Alexander Residential School in
Manitoba more than 50 years ago.
Victoria McIntosh had alleged she
was assaulted by Massé in a bathroom
at the former Sagkeeng First Nation
school sometime between 1968 and
1970, when she was around the age of
10.
Manitoba Court of King’s Bench
Justice Candace Grammond told
court at the time said she believed the
woman had been assaulted but wasn’t
convinced, based on McIntosh’s testi-
mony, that Massé was the person who
assaulted her.
malak.abas@freepress.mb.ca
In an email, Jackson told the Free
Press it’s regrettable that it took
an arbitration award to prompt the
pilot program.
An arbitrator ruled in April that
HSC staff face an “unacceptable
level of risk” in exterior areas of
the hospital campus and gave the
facility 30 days to create a safety
plan.
A separate arbitration panel was
to address interior safety concerns.
“This has been a longstanding
and significant safety and risk
situation,” Jackson said. “We are
continuing to monitor to ensure that
the needed steps are introduced on
a permanent basis, as well as (that)
the promised expansion of (institu-
tional safety officers) and security
needed at every entrance, in every
facility, is in fact delivered upon.”
A spokesman for physician advo-
cacy organization Doctors Manito-
ba said security is a major concern
at the facility.
“Any proven steps that create a
safer space for physicians, staff and
the public are welcomed,” spokes-
man Keir Johnson said, adding he
hadn’t received any feedback on the
technology pilot yet.
“Physicians at HSC report an
average of two to three physical
safety incidents and six to seven
psychological safety incidents per
year.”
Short-term trials to assess weap-
on-detection systems are useful,
but are not a permanent remedy,
Jackson said.
“There remains a great deal
more work to be done to ensure the
workplace addresses safety hazards
in health-care facilities,” she said.
carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca
DEMOLITION ● FROM A1
PRIEST ● FROM A1
SCANNERS ● FROM A1
TYLER SEARLE / FREE PRESS
Demolition at 579 McDermot Ave. has ground to a halt after city inspectors identified the possible presence of asbestos.
ROMANIAN ORTHODOX EPISCOPATE OF AMERICA
Constantin Turcoane
Lennard is a small community near the Saskatchewan border north of Russell.
Appeals court upholds Donald
Trump’s hush money gag order
N
EW YORK — Two months after
his felony conviction, Donald
Trump still isn’t allowed to say
everything he wants about his historic
hush money criminal case. After a New
York appeals court upheld his gag order
Thursday, he won’t be for a while.
The state’s mid-level appellate court
denied the Republican former presi-
dent and current nominee’s latest bid
to lift the restrictions, swatting away a
last-minute argument that he’s unfairly
muzzled while Vice President Kamala
Harris, his likely Democratic opponent,
pits herself as an ex-prosecutor taking
on a “convicted felon.”
At the same time, Trump’s lawyers
are again asking trial Judge Juan M.
Merchan to exit the case, saying his
daughter’s work for Harris’ 2020 presi-
dential campaign underscores ques-
tions about his ability to be impartial.
Merchan rejected two prior recusal
requests, last year and at the start of
the trial in April, saying the defense’s
concerns were “hypothetical” and
based on “innuendos” and “unsupport-
ed speculation.”
In a letter to Merchan made public
Thursday, Trump lawyer Todd Blanche
said Harris’ entry into the presidential
race makes those issues “even more
concrete” and said the judge hasn’t
addressed them “at a level of detail
sufficient to repair the lack of public
confidence in the integrity of these pro-
ceedings.”
Separately, House Judiciary Commit-
tee Chairman Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio,
sent a letter to Loren Merchan demand-
ing she turn over any documents per-
taining to Harris’ campaign, President
Joe Biden’s abandoned reelection cam-
paign and any discussions she or her
firm may have had about Trump’s hush
money prosecution. Jordan’s request in-
cludes any conversations she may have
had with her father about the case.
In its gag order ruling Thursday, a
five-judge panel found that Judge Mer-
chan was correct in keeping some re-
strictions in place until Trump is sen-
tenced because the case is still pending
and his conviction doesn’t constitute a
change in circumstances that warrants
lifting it: “The fair administration of
justice necessarily includes senten-
cing,” they wrote.
The gag order bars Trump from
speaking out about the prosecution
team, court staffers or their fam-
ilies, including Merchan’s daughter, a
Democratic political consultant.
In June, Merchan lifted a ban on
Trump commenting about witnesses
and jurors and he has always been free
to speak about the judge and Manhat-
tan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, an
elected Democrat whose office pros-
ecuted the case.
Trump is scheduled to be sentenced
on Sept. 18, but the case and gag order
could end before that if Merchan grants
a defense request to throw out his con-
viction in light of the Supreme Court’s
presidential immunity ruling. Merchan
said he plans to rule on Sept. 6.
Trump, who has denied any wrong-
doing, was originally scheduled to be
sentenced July 11. Merchan postponed
it until September while he consid-
ers the impact of the Supreme Court’s
ruling, which gave broad protections
to presidents and insulated them from
prosecution for official acts.
Trump has pledged to appeal his
conviction, but he can’t until he is sen-
tenced.
— The Associated Press
MICHAEL R. SISAK
;