Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 6, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
When your need is hope
Amazing things
happen when you
support St. Boniface
Hospital Foundation.
204-237-2067
bealifeline.ca
GIVE TODAY
A
MASSIVE wildfire has severed a
remote First Nation’s only power
supply, prompting the commun-
ity’s chief to call for long-term support
from the federal government.
Early Saturday morning, Red Suck-
er Lake Anisininew Nation declared a
state of emergency after a 3,000-hec-
tare wildfire burning west of the com-
munity cut off its hydroelectricity, for-
cing residents to flee south.
As of Saturday afternoon, the area
had no power or cellphone service.
“We have no sense of communication
to anybody, it’s a very large concern for
our community,” Chief Samuel Knott
said by phone. Officials set up a make-
shift command centre in the commun-
ity’s nursing station as it was the only
building with working Wi-Fi.
The state of emergency was called
early in the morning to get as many
members out of the First Nation, lo-
cated approximately 700 km northeast
of Winnipeg, as quickly as possible,
Knott said. A news release declaring
the emergency called on provincial and
federal funding for backup generators,
transportation and temporary housing
amid the blaze.
The Red Cross sent out 30 backup
generators to aid in restoring power
temporarily but Knott said the First
Nation needs a permanent back-up gen-
erator for when the community experi-
ences future issues with transmission.
Last winter, residents went without
heat for a night after extreme weather
knocked out the area’s power supply.
“A lot of people got sick out of that be-
cause of the cold, so that’s the kind of
support that I need,” Knott said.
The generators coming to the com-
munity likely won’t be enough to power
fridges and freezers, threatening food
supply, the chief added.
“Wild meat we harvest for special oc-
casions, the things that we cannot buy
at the store,” Knott said. “It will be a big
impact.”
Indigenous Services Canada spokes-
person Jacinthe Goulet said the federal
department has been in communica-
tion with the First Nation and offered
a payment to the community under the
department’s Emergency Management
Assistance Program.
Supports provided through ISC and
the Canadian Red Cross include gen-
erators, accommodations, per diems,
clothing allowances and health sup-
ports for evacuees, Goulet said.
On Saturday, Manitoba Hydro crews
flew by helicopter to the area to assess
the damage, spokesperson Riley Mc-
Donald said. It is not yet known what
caused the outage but the source is like-
ly a power line near the fire that feeds
into the community, the spokesperson
added.
Westerly winds are fuelling the fire
and it is not yet known when residents
can return home. Some residents with
health concerns were evacuated earli-
er this week due to smoke blanketing
the First Nation and about 300 area
residents have registered with the Red
Cross so far, Knott said. Approximately
300 more residents have been identified
as a priority to be evacuated.
Last week, St. Theresa Point First
Nation in the Island Lake region began
evacuations of its vulnerable members
as smoke from nearby wildfires con-
tinues to be a health risk. The Canadian
Red Cross said it had evacuated 152
people from the First Nation as of Fri-
day.
A full evacuation in Marcel Co-
lomb First Nation sent more than 200
residents to Winnipeg, Thompson, the
Pas and Lynn Lake last week.
The province’s wildfire service first
detected the fire near Red Sucker Lake
on July 19 and it is still classified as out
of control. As of Friday, the province
recorded 70 active wildfires and 191
wildfires to date.
— with files from the Canadian Press
nicole.buffie@freepress.mb.ca
TOP NEWS
A3 TUESDAY AUGUST 6, 2024 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
“He served Albertans with un-
wavering bravery, and his loss is
deeply felt,” he said in a post on X on
Saturday.
Smith said 563 people have regis-
tered for the bus tours, with 62 people
taking one of three buses that depart-
ed Hinton and Edmonton on Monday.
Residents aren’t allowed to get off the
buses while in the town.
When asked why Trudeau wasn’t
planning to tour Jasper itself, Dean
McDonald, an incident commander
for Parks Canada, said the prime
minister wanted to provide space for
evacuated residents as they tour the
area themselves.
“We were getting a lot of folks (who)
were evacuated in buses, getting in to
see their homes for the first time,” he
said. “That’s a pretty sensitive piece.”
Parks Canada has said operators of
critical services and critical retail,
such as gas stations, grocery stores,
pharmacies and schools, were also
expected to visit their sites starting
Monday for initial damage assess-
ments.
The agency explained the visits
would help restart those services
quickly, once conditions allow for
residents to return safely.
The fire risk across Alberta
remained high to extreme over the
weekend.
Christie Tucker, a spokeswoman
for Alberta Wildfire, told a provincial
news conference on Monday that cool-
er temperatures have meant wildfires
across the province did not experi-
ence significant growth.
Parks Canada said in an emailed
update Monday that the Jasper wild-
fire is about 340 square kilometres in
size, unchanged from a day earlier.
Ellis said he spoke with the incident
command centre about the Jasper
fire. He was told there are concerns
about warmer, drier weather in the
forecast. Monday was cloudy, with a
bit of rain.
“That’s good. However, to say that’s
going to put out a fire is certainly not
something they’re anticipating,” he
said.
“They do have some concerns about
the forecast ahead. I think it’s fore-
casting some clearer, drier, warmer
temperatures, so obviously they’re
going to be prepared for that.”
Parks Canada also said in its
update that evacuees located in
British Columbia were able to travel
to Alberta on Monday on Highway
16, which runs through the national
park. It said travelers were escorted
by RCMP during scheduled times and
were not allowed to stop along the
way or go into the Jasper townsite.
— The Canadian Press
SUPPLIED PHOTO
Red Sucker Lake Anisininew Nation declared a state of emergency Saturday after a wildfire
burning west of the community severed the First Nation’s power supply.
Wildfire cuts power,
prompts First Nation
to declare emergency
NICOLE BUFFIE
JASON FRANSON / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Wildfire Incident Commander Landon Shepherd (third from left) and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau discuss the Jasper fire Monday.
JASPER ● FROM A1
B.C. officials
warn of
dangers near
river banks
after landslide
VANCOUVER — The B.C. government
says it’s “extremely unsafe” to be near
the banks of the Chilcotin and Fraser
rivers both upstream and downstream
from a massive landslide after water
started flowing through the slide early
Monday.
Emergency Management Minister
Bowinn Ma said Monday that the water
breaching the dam caused by the slide
will cause river bank instability, al-
though the chances of a worst-case scen-
ario are “decreasing.”
Ma says people should stay away and
off the waters as officials monitor the
flow downstream of the slide, which
may impact the Farewell Canyon Bridge,
about 22 kilometres downstream.
Evacuation alerts and orders along the
rivers are not just about residential prop-
erties, she said.
“It is also about people recreating
on the water or along the waterways,”
Ma said at a briefing Monday. “We
need people to leave those areas, to not
put their boats down, to not go down to
take a look at the water, to not engage in
recreation activities anywhere along the
Chilcotin River or the Fraser River right
now.”
Officials said about 15 properties in
the Cariboo and Thomson River Region-
al Districts are on evacuation order or
alert.
Connie Chapman with the province’s
water management branch said the
“pulse” of water from the dam breach
will likely erode river banks and carry
debris from the slide.
She said the water started flowing
through the debris slide, cutting about a
15 metre channel through the dam, and
then began widening with water flows
increasing by the hour.
She said some places along the rivers
will see higher than spring runoff lev-
els and cause the rivers to swell down-
stream in the coming days.
Chapman said officials will be mon-
itoring debris in the “big pulse of water”
now flowing downstream from the site
of the slide.
An emergency alert issued by the
province Monday said anyone along the
banks of the rivers from Hanceville
to the Fraser River, down to the Gang
Ranch Road Bridge south of Williams
Lake, must leave. Flooding and moving
debris pose “a threat to human life,” the
alert said.
Images posted online by the province,
and aerial footage over the slide site
shared by Nathan Cullen, B.C.’s water
and resource minister, show water get-
ting through the massive slide.
The provincial government estimates
the landslide that dammed the river is
1,000 metres long, 600 metres wide and
30 metres deep.
The Thompson-Nicola Regional Dis-
trict said all private properties within
300 metres of the banks of the Fraser
River are on evacuation alert, includ-
ing four addressed properties adjacent
to the river, two properties on Big Bar
Road, one on Empire Valley-Big Bar
Road and another on Watson Bar Road.
The massive landslide last week at Far-
well Canyon located about 22 kilometres
south of Williams Lake dammed the
Chilcotin River and created a lake about
11 kilometres long behind the slide.
— The Canadian Press
;