Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 7, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
SERVING MANITOBA SINCE 1872. FOREVER WITH YOUR SUPPORT.
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 7, 2024
WEATHER
LIGHT RAIN. HIGH 20 — LOW 11
CITY
MORE THAN 130 DOGS SEIZED / B1
City sues towing company with one hand, awards it a contract with the other
‘A tough pill for everyone to swallow’
T
HE City of Winnipeg has award-
ed a new contract to a towing
company it is suing for allegedly
overcharging the municipal govern-
ment by $1.1 million in the past — and
that decision is sparking questions.
“I’m not comfortable with it at
all… I question the actual awarding
process,” said Coun. Janice Lukes,
chairwoman of the public works
committee.
On Aug. 2, the city awarded Tartan
a contract to tow and store vehicles
until at least June 30, 2025, with up to
four optional one-year extensions.
The winning bidder is expected
to complete tows at the request of
the Winnipeg Police Service, such
as in cases of impaired, unlicensed
or suspended driving, among other
violations. The police service referred
all questions about the contract to city
officials.
In 2023, the city sued Tartan, alleg-
ing it had paid the company $1,115,626
between 2016 and 2022 for “invalid”
tows Tartan either did not perform or
recorded improperly.
The allegations have not been prov-
en in court.
Lukes (Waverley West) said compa-
nies facing allegations from the city
are eligible to bid on city contracts.
“We cannot restrict people from
bidding on a contract if they’re not
(found) guilty of anything. Where do
we draw the line?” she said.
Lukes said she is also looking for
answers on why three bidders for the
work offered such different prices, as
per city documents, including a Dr.
Hook Towing bid for $113,600.50, a
Bison Towing bid for $14.70 and
Tartan’s winning bid for $18,480.
“It makes no sense. It wasn’t
flagged as odd, which again concerns
me… I’m still getting to the bottom of
this,” said Lukes.
She said officials who awarded the
contract are not required to provide
written reasons for the decision, such
as why they didn’t select the lowest
bid.
“I don’t like that. There’s no ac-
countability behind that at all,” said
Lukes.
Mayor Scott Gillingham stressed
Tartan remains eligible to bid on city
contracts and all contractors should
expect to be closely monitored.
JOYANNE PURSAGA
● TOWING, CONTINUED ON A3
ADRIAN WYLD / THE CANADIAN PRESS
THROWING FOR GOLD
Canada’s Camryn Rogers celebrates her Olympic gold medal won in the women’s hammer throw event in Paris Tuesday. Rogers’ distance of
76.97 metres beat the silver medallist — American Annette Echikunwoke — by 1.5 metres. It’s a sweep for Canada: Ethan Katzberg won gold
in the men’s hammer throw Sunday. See Olympic coverage on pages D1, 2.
Trial unlikely
for allegedly
staged
hate crimes
FIVE years after they were accused
of staging antisemitic hate crimes at
their River Heights restaurant, there
are no signs three members of a Win-
nipeg family will ever return to the
city to face prosecution.
Alexander and Oxana Berent
and their son, Maxim Berent, were
charged with public mischief after
alleging their Corydon Avenue restau-
rant, BerMax Caffé and Bistro, had
been the target of four antisemitic
attacks in 2019.
The three accused were given court
approval to relocate to Los Angeles
in January 2020, with the expectation
they would return to Winnipeg for trial
the following October.
Lawyer Phil Cramer, who previously
represented Alexander Berent, replied
“no comment” when asked recently
if Berent had any plans to return to
Winnipeg. Lawyer Brett Gladstone,
who represented Maxim Berent, said
he had not had any contact with Berent
since their relocation to Los Angeles.
Michael Lazar, Oxana Berent’s lawyer,
could not be reached for comment by
deadline Tuesday.
Crown attorney Mike Himmelman,
the prosecutor assigned to the case,
said arrest warrants for the three
accused remain on the books.
The warrants “will remain there,
they don’t go away,” Himmelman
said Tuesday. “If they do return to
the jurisdiction, the warrants will be
executed.”
Police arrested the trio in April
2019, days after they alleged Oxana
had been assaulted during a break-in
at the restaurant. The family claimed
robbers trashed the restaurant,
spray-painted the word “Jew” on the
floor and sketched a swastika on a
wall.
Security video from multiple loca-
tions cast doubt on the family’s claims
and suggested the events were staged,
police alleged in search warrant docu-
ments filed with the court.
Other court records reviewed by the
Free Press showed the café was facing
serious financial troubles in the leadup
to the alleged crime, including six-fig-
ure debts, lawsuits, a real estate lien
and an inability to sell the restaurant
or consistently make rent.
DEAN PRITCHARD
● TRIAL, CONTINUED ON A2
Harris picks Minnesota governor as running mate
PHILADELPHIA — Kamala Har-
ris introduced Minnesota Gov. Tim
Walz to the nation at a raucous rally
Tuesday in battleground Pennsylvania
that was aimed at building momen-
tum for the newly minted Democratic
presidential ticket in the sprint toward
Election Day.
“He’s the kind of person who makes
people feel like they belong and then
inspires them to dream big. … That’s
the kind of vice-president America
deserves,” the U.S. Vice-President and
presumed Democratic presidential
candidate said while standing with
Walz in Philadelphia.
Taking the microphone after Harris,
Walz revved up the crowd for the rig-
orous campaign to come. “We’ve got 91
days. My God, that’s easy. We’ll sleep
when we’re dead,” he said.
The remarks reflected the urgency
of the moment, with Harris tapping
Walz for the ticket during one of the
most turbulent periods in modern
American politics. Republicans have
rallied around former U.S. president
Donald Trump after he was targeted in
an attempted assassination in July. Just
days later, U.S. President Joe Biden
ended his reelection campaign, forcing
Harris to scramble to unify Democrats
and decide on a running mate over a
breakneck two-week stretch.
In choosing the 60-year-old Walz,
Harris is elevating a Midwestern
governor, military veteran and union
supporter who helped enact an ambi-
tious Democratic agenda for his state,
including sweeping protections for
abortion rights and generous aid to
families.
It was her biggest decision yet as
the Democratic nominee and she went
with a broadly palatable choice —
someone who says politics should have
more joy and who deflects dark and
foreboding rhetoric from Republicans
with a lighter touch, a strategy that
the campaign has been increasingly
turning to since Harris took over the
top spot.
Harris hopes Walz will help her
shore up her campaign’s standing
across the upper Midwest, a critical
region in presidential politics that
often serves as a buffer for Democrats
seeking the White House. The party
remains haunted by Trump’s wins
in Michigan and Wisconsin in 2016.
Trump lost those states in 2020 but has
zeroed in on them as he aims to return
to the presidency this year and is ex-
panding his focus to Minnesota.
Since Walz was announced, the team
raised more than US$20 million from
grassroots donations, the campaign
said.
Walz is far from a household name.
An ABC News/Ipsos survey conduct-
ed before he was selected but after
vetting began showed that nearly nine
in 10 U.S. adults did not know enough
to have an opinion about him.
Harris devoted much of her speech
to telling the audience about Walz’s
life and work, which included stints as
a social studies teacher and a football
coach.
“To those who know him best, Tim is
more than a governor,” she said.
“We both believe in lifting people
up, not knocking them down,” she said.
“We both know that the vast majority
of us have so much more in common
than what separates us. And we see
in our fellow Americans neighbours,
never enemies.”
COLLEEN LONG, ZEKE MILLER,
STEVE KARNOWSKI, WILL WEISSERT
AND SEUNG MIN KIM
● WALZ, CONTINUED ON A2
● MORE COVERAGE ON A2
;