Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 7, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM ●
B7
BUSINESS
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 7, 2024
Potential China
EV tariffs
welcomed
by GM Canada
THE potential of tariffs on Chinese
electric vehicle imports is being wel-
comed by the Canadian head of Gener-
al Motors as major producer BYD looks
to enter the market.
“We’re encouraged by the govern-
ment’s examination of these issues,”
said Kristian Aquilina, president of
GM Canada. “Because on the basis of
strong competition, a fair playing field,
it encourages us to invest heavily, em-
ploy deeply.”
The federal government wrapped a
30-day consultation last week on wheth-
er to follow the lead of the U.S. and the
European Union on imposing steep tar-
iffs to counter the volume of production
coming out of China.
Canada’s auto sector faces “un-
fair competition” from China’s state-
directed policy of overcapacity and
broad range of non-market policies and
practices, the federal government said
in announcing the consultations.
Without directly calling out Chinese
producers, Aquilina noted similar con-
cerns: “An unfair playing field can be
quite detrimental, and it’s only right
that the government look at these issues
and consider all of the facts.”
He deferred to the Canadian Vehicle
Manufacturers’ Association for more
specific commentary on the tariffs. The
group has pushed strongly for align-
ment with U.S. policy so the more than
$40 billion in Canadian EV industry in-
vestments announced over the past four
years can have room to succeed.
“This transition is happening, but it
does take time, and we have to make
sure that adequate supports are in
place to allow these investments, and
these new facilities to come online,”
said president Brian Kingston.
Aligning with the U.S. would also
send the right signals ahead of North
American trade talks scheduled for
2026, said Kingston.
“Now is the time. Let’s put these
policies in place, show the American
people we are going to stand shoulder
to shoulder with them in this approach
to China.”
Groups like Unifor, the Global Auto-
makers of Canada and the Canadian
Chamber of Commerce have also ex-
pressed support, while climate-focused
associations like Clean Energy Canada
have pushed back over concerns the
move would cut off more affordable op-
tions for electric vehicles.
The potential tariffs could be sub-
stantial. In May, the U.S. boosted its
tariffs to 100 per cent from 25 per cent,
while the EU has set tariffs that could
run upwards of 38 per cent.
For now, the only Chinese-made EVs
imported into Canada are from U.S.
tech giant Tesla, made at the company’s
Shanghai factory, which are subject to a
six-per-cent import tariff.
There is, however, the potential for
China-based BYD, the world’s biggest
electric vehicle producer by volume, to
come to Canada.
A July 24 lobbyist registration showed
the company had hired a consultant to ad-
vise on “matters related to the expected
market entry of BYD into Canada,” and
the application of tariffs on EVs.
BYD, which phased out gasoline-only
models in 2022, sold over three million
vehicles last year.
The company debuted its Seagull EV
last year at a starting price of the equiva-
lent of about $14,600 for a 305-kilometre
range version.
General Motors, meanwhile, discon-
tinued its entry-level Chevy Bolt EV
last year, only to clarify it planned to
later relaunch the model.
Timing of a return, and potential
pricing, of the Bolt is still not fixed, but
the company is aiming to bring it back
late next year, said Aquilina.
For now, the company is focused on
rolling out its newly arrived Chevy
Equinox EV, retailing for around
$50,000, which he said puts GM with
the most affordable EV in Canada that
has around 500 km of range.
While the price range is still out of
reach for many, it also reflects rising
prices generally for cars.
The average price for a new vehicle
in Canada was about $68,000 for June,
up from $55,000 two years ago, accord-
ing to AutoTrader.
Meanwhile, Canadian Black Book
says the average price of an EV topped
$73,000 last year.
The push higher in EV prices came
as producers made bigger vehicles with
bigger batteries that made for greater
range (and potential profits), but GM
says it sees customers’ appetites to give
up some of that range.
“At the outset when range anxiety
was at its highest, that became the
thing that customers wanted more than
anything else,” said Aquilina.
“What the Bolt has proven … is that
customers are willing to make that
trade-off between range and price be-
cause, of course, there is a relationship
and that’s really given us encourage-
ment to reintroduce the Bolt.”
— The Canadian Press
IAN BICKIS
Nissan developing ‘cool paint’ to cut vehicle temperatures
TOKYO — Nissan showed Tuesday
what it called a “cool paint” to keep
people inside vehicles cooler, although
the coating is six times thicker, making
commercialization still a challenge.
The company’s announcement Tues-
day was timely, coming as Japan was en-
during record sweltering temperatures.
Nissan Motor Co. tested the paint
on vehicles scuttling around Tokyo’s
Haneda airport, where there are plenty
of unshaded areas that make it a good
place to assess the technology.
The vehicles with the special paint
looked like ordinary cars, but felt much
cooler to the touch.
The cool paint lowered the cars’ roof-
panel temperature by 12 C and the in-
teriors by 5 C, according to Nissan.
Cooling materials already are widely
used in buildings and other items. Cool-
er cars can reduce use of air-condi-
tioning and relieve the toll from heat on
engines and electric vehicle batteries.
Toyota Motor Corp. has also been ex-
perimenting with paint that delivers low-
er cabin temperatures, mostly focusing
on colours that refract the sun’s rays.
Nissan’s cool paint reflects sunlight
better and also creates electromagnetic
waves that block the rays, redirecting
energy away from vehicles.
Nissan’s paint was developed with
Radi-Cool of China, which developed a
film, fabric and coating that cut heat.
Radi-Cool works with various other
Japanese companies, offering cool-
er-feeling hats and sun parasols. Nissan
is the only Japanese automaker part-
nering with Radi-Cool.
Susumu Miura, a Nissan Research
Center manager, said there were no
discernible negative effects to people’s
health from the electromagnetic waves
emitted by the paint. Such waves are all
around us, he said.
“My dream is to create cooler cars
without consuming energy,” he said.
— The Associated Press
YURI KAGEYAMA
MELINA MARA / THE WASHINGTON POST
Attendees eat lunch at a Google developer conference. The U.S. tech giant is facing multiple court challenges that could force it to remake itself and its businesses.
Baby Googles, Apple search engine?
Antitrust ruling could change internet
A
U.S. federal judge said Monday
that Google broke the law to
kneecap web search competition
in ways that entrenched the tech com-
pany’s power.
It was the second time in the past
year that a judge or jury had declared
Google an illegal monopoly. The previ-
ous time was over how Google runs its
Android app store.
The next steps, which involve propos-
ing legal fixes to undo Google’s behav-
iour, are essentially about imagining an
alternative future in which Google isn’t
Google as we know it.
What new ideas could flourish, which
new companies might get off the ground
or what products might be cheaper if
Google were handcuffed from flexing
its monopoly power over search?
We have the internet we have, and it’s
hard to imagine something different or
if you’d like it more. I’ve sketched out
six changes that could result from the
two monopoly rulings on Google.
This is educated speculation. It’s also
possible not much will really change.
That’s what happened after Google
was found to have broken the European
Union’s anti-monopoly laws.
The U.S. government must now pro-
pose to Judge Amit Mehta ways to re-
strain Google’s actions to fix its mon-
opoly. It could take years to resolve. In
the app store case, a judge will soon de-
cide how Google must change its illegal
status quo.
Google said it plans to appeal Mon-
day’s ruling. A spokesman for Google
declined to discuss speculation about
what happens next.
1. Imagine a Google-quality search
engine but without ads — or one
tailored to news junkies or Lego fans
It’s possible Google could be forced
to let other companies access its search
technology or its essential data to cre-
ate search engines with the technical
chops of Google — but without Google.
You might imagine a company takes
Google’s secret sauce and tweaks it
to make a kid-friendly search engine,
suggested Matt Stoller, director of
research at the American Economic
Liberties Project and a frequent critic
of Big Tech power. Another company
could prioritize websites that look out
for your privacy. Another might show
searches in a visual-first way.
“We’re going to see the innovation of
mankind come out,” Stoller said.
Letting a thousand Google-type search
engines bloom is probably the idea Goo-
gle critics have embraced the most. But
even if the government asks for it and
Mehta agrees, it might not work.
There have been, and are, other
search engines, including Microsoft’s
Bing, the privacy-focused DuckDuck-
Go and Neeva, started by a former sen-
ior Google executive. DuckDuckGo and
Bing are nowhere near as popular or
as lucrative as Google. Neeva was little
used and shut down this year.
The question we could see tested is:
if Google is forced to share the search
prowess the judge said it gained illegal-
ly, could rivals make more appealing
search engines?
2. Would Apple create a search en-
gine?
Google pays Apple billions of dollars a
year — US$20 billion in 2022 — to make
Google the standard way to search the
web on Apple’s Safari browser.
That arrangement gives Google ac-
cess to valuable searches from Apple
device owners, and it guarantees Apple
gobs of money.
Megan Gray, an antitrust law special-
ist with GrayMatters Law & Policy and
a critic of Google’s power, said the judge
could significantly change or end Goo-
gle’s deals with Apple and companies
that put Google search front-and-centre
on Android phones and web browsers.
The likeliest scenario is you’d need
to pick whether to use Google on your
iPhone or something else. But tech-
nologists and stock analysts have also
speculated for years Apple could make
its own search engine. It would be like
when Apple started Apple Maps as an
alternative to Google Maps.
Apple didn’t respond to a request for
comment.
3. Could prices go down for the prod-
ucts that advertise next to your search-
es (which is most products)?
Mehta said Google has the power to
charge artificially high prices for the
text ads you might see when you search
for terms like “auto insurance quotes
Minneapolis.”
In theory, if alternative search engines
get popular, there would be more compe-
tition and lower prices for the insurance
providers and other companies trying to
grab your attention when you search.
And again, in theory, if they pay less
for advertising, car insurance and other
products you buy could be cheaper.
4. The company could break up into
Baby Googles
This one seems unlikely, but the
government could ask the judge to
split Google into parts to fix its illegal
monopoly power. In this scenario, the
Chrome browser might be its own com-
pany and so might Google search and
Android, for example.
Stoller said when corporations such
as Standard Oil and AT&T have been
forced to split up in past illegal-monop-
oly rulings, the component companies
were liberated to come up with clever
ideas that didn’t have a chance inside
the giant corporation.
5. What if Google weren’t allowed to
know so much about you?
Jason Kint, chief executive of online
news lobbying group Digital Content
Next, said Google’s multiple products
should no longer be allowed to com-
mingle information about what you
do. It would essentially be a divorce of
Google’s products without breaking the
company up.
That could mean, for example, that
whatever you did on your Android
phone or the websites you visit using
Chrome would not feed into one giant
Google repository about your activities
and interests.
If Google had less information, it
could be better for your privacy, and it
might help other companies, including
news organizations that don’t have Goo-
gle’s wealth of data.
6. You might be able to download al-
most anything from Google’s Android
app store
The judge in the other Google monop-
oly case has seemed receptive to loos-
ening the company’s absolute power
over apps. That might mean you would
be able to buy an Amazon Kindle e-book
from its Android app, which you can’t
do now. Games such as Fortnite that
have been absent from Android phones
might be available, too.
In a recent court hearing, the judge
also seemed open to cutting the fees
Google collects when you buy digit-
al subscriptions to things like Disney
Plus, Match.com or X from Android
apps. That could translate into lower
prices for things you buy in apps.
— Washington Post
SHIRA OVIDE
Great-West Lifeco reports rise
in Q2 net earnings to $1B
WINNIPEG — Great-West Lifeco
Inc. says its second-quarter earnings
roughly doubled from last year as it
benefited from interest rate move-
ments and lower business expenses.
The insurer says it had net earn-
ings of $1 billion, or $1.08 cents per
share, up from $498 million or 53
cents per share last year.
Great-West says the gains reflect
an improved market experience
from interest rate movements and
low expenses related to business
transformation activities, as well
as a $121 million loss last year from
asset rebalancing in Europe.
Adjusted earnings, or what Great-
West calls base earnings, came in at
$1.04 billion, up from $978 million
last year.
Great-West says it hit record base
earnings in the second quarter as its
U.S. growth surpasses expectations
and is set to become the largest seg-
ment within the company’s portfolio
this year. The company reported
a base return on equity of 17.2 per
cent, up from 15.9 per cent last year.
— The Canadian Press
Suncor Energy earns $1.57B
in second quarter
CALGARY — Suncor Energy Inc. says
it earned $1.57 billion in its second
quarter, down from $1.88 billion in the
second quarter of 2023.
The Calgary-based oil giant says on
an adjusted basis, it earned $1.63 bil-
lion, up from $1.25 billion in the prior
year’s quarter.
Its adjusted earnings worked out to
$1.27 per common share in the second
quarter, up from 96 cents in the same
period of 2023.
Suncor says its upstream production
for the three months ended June 30 to-
talled approximately 771,000 barrels
of oil equivalent per day, up from ap-
proximately 742,000 barrels per day in
the prior year’s quarter.
The company says its refinery crude
throughput increased to 430,500 bar-
rels per day and its refinery utilization
was 92 per cent in the second quarter
of 2024, compared with 394,400 barrels
per day and 85 per cent in the prior
year’s quarter.
Suncor saw record quarterly refined
product sales of 594,700 barrels per
day in the second quarter, compared
with 547,000 barrels per day during the
same time last year.
— The Canadian Press
;