Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 7, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
DROP
ZONE
August 20, 2024
Be part of the excitement
thedropzone.ca
There is still time to register!
Rappel down Manitoba Hydro
Place and break down barriers
for Manitobans with disabilities.
TOP NEWS
A3 WEDNESDAY AUGUST 7, 2024 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
However, Gillingham said he
understood why questions have
emerged about the award.
“I can certainly appreciate how
the public would wonder why we
would award a contract to a company
that we’re in court with… There’s a
limited number of towing companies
in the city and only a small number
of bidders for this contract, so we
have to maintain the competition,”
he said.
The mayor said he will speak to
the city’s interim chief administra-
tive officer about whether the city
should disclose more information
when it spends taxpayer dollars on
private contracts.
“These are public dollars… being
allocated and expended here, so the
public should have access, and coun-
cillors should have access, to the
reasons behind decisions,” he said.
Masood Khan, chief financial
officer of Bison Towing, said his
company was told verbally that city
officials found it wasn’t ready to han-
dle the work. Khan said the company
priced its bid at the rock-bottom
price of $14.70 because it expected
to earn money from additional fees
paid by vehicle owners throughout
the contract.
He said Bison has operated for less
than two years but met all contract
requirements.
“We are disappointed. We put a lot
of effort into this… We built a yard,
we did everything, we did fencing.
We did all we could,” said Khan.
Zakria Shoaib, Bison’s director,
said he doesn’t understand why the
contract would go to a company
that’s engaged in a legal dispute with
the city.
“Knowing the fact that the city has
sued someone and they have count-
er-sued them back and are (still)
doing business with each other… it is
kind of confusing,” said Shoaib.
Nick Roscoe, owner of Dr. Hook
Towing, said his company’s bid
was notably higher than the others
because it aimed to factor in future
fuel, insurance and wage costs, since
the contract could last for years.
“If you have that contract for an
extended period of time, one must
calculate what could happen,” said
Roscoe.
He said he didn’t expect the
contract would be won by a company
that’s being sued by the city.
“I think it’s caught everybody
by surprise… It’s not necessarily
our place to say the city should or
shouldn’t (do this), but at the end of
the day, they did and now it’s public
knowledge what they did. I think it’s
a tough pill for everyone to swallow,
not just the industry,” said Roscoe.
In an email, a city spokesman
confirmed the award and the prices
each bidder had submitted for the
work. Spokesman David Driedger
also noted the city lawsuit does not
ban Tartan from bidding on city
contracts.
“In order to prevent a person
or company from bidding on city
contracts, they would need to be de-
barred under… the city’s purchasing
policy. Debarment is a structured
process with definite causes and
steps, and it is completely distinct
from litigation,” wrote Driedger.
Tartan Towing declined to com-
ment on Tuesday. In a statement of
defence last year, the company de-
nied the city’s legal allegations and
argued the municipal government
should pay damages to the company
for breaching its contract.
joyanne.pursaga@freepress.mb.ca
X: @joyanne_pursaga
TOWING ● FROM A1
NIC ADAM / FREE PRESS
The city is suing Tartan Towing for alleged overbilling, so competitors and councillors are wondering why it won a police towing deal.
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
Mayor Scott Gillingham says despite the lawsuit, ‘there’s a limited number of towing
companies... so we have to maintain the competition.’
Violent long weekend kicks off with pair of
unprovoked attacks in Lord Selkirk Park
Boy charged in
two random
stabbings
T
WO unprovoked stabbings just
minutes apart on Friday kicked
off a spree of random, violent
crime on Winnipeg streets that kept
police busy throughout the August long
weekend.
The stabbings injured two people and
raised alarm among investigators, who
believe a 15-year-old boy is responsible
for the crimes, Winnipeg Police Ser-
vice spokesman Const. Pat Saydak said
at a news conference Tuesday.
“I can’t speak on the specifics of what
was going through his mind or what
possible mental health issues he may
have, but we find it very concerning,”
Saydak said.
“We’re very happy that we made an
arrest.”
The youth is in police custody on two
charges of assault with a weapon for
the attacks that occurred within a few
blocks in the Lord Selkirk Park neigh-
bourhood, Saydak said.
The first incident happened on the
400 block of King Street at about 10:15
a.m. A 50-year-old man was walking
when the attacker approached him and,
without provocation, stabbed him in the
upper body, before fleeing. The victim
was taken to hospital in stable condi-
tion, police said.
About five minutes later, a 27-year-
old woman was attacked in a lane near
the 700 block of Main Street. She was
stabbed repeatedly in her upper and
lower body, police said. The woman was
taken to hospital in unstable condition
and later upgraded to stable.
A police canine unit tracked the male
suspect to the 100 block of Lusted Av-
enue, where he was arrested.
The suspect and the two victims
didn’t know each other, Saydak said,
adding the boy was not known to police.
In an unrelated case on Saturday, po-
lice said a 40-year-old man is respon-
sible for a series of carjackings and
robberies in east Winnipeg.
The first incident happened at a store
on the 1000 block of Nairn Avenue at
about 12:30 p.m.
Saydak said the suspect pulled out a
lighter and threatened a cashier as he
demanded cash. He fled without get-
ting any money.
Fifteen minutes later, the suspect
confronted a woman in her 80s as she
sat in her vehicle. The man pulled her
out of the vehicle, threw her to the
ground and threatened to stab her be-
fore fleeing in her vehicle.
The woman suffered serious injuries,
police said.
The spree continued into Sunday,
when, at about 5:45 a.m., the man con-
fronted a woman at a business on the
1600 block of Regent Avenue West. He
threw the victim to the ground in an at-
tempted carjacking, but was unable to
start the vehicle because he didn’t have
an immobilizer key fob, Saydak said.
The suspect stole the woman’s purse
and fled. The woman suffered minor
injuries.
Later, at about 7:30 a.m., the man en-
tered a business on the same block and
lured a female victim outside by telling
her there was something wrong with
her parked vehicle. The man punched
her several times in the upper body,
threatened to kill her and stole the
vehicle.
Members of the heavily armed police
tactical support team found the vehicle
on the 500 block of Selkirk Avenue, and
a man was later arrested in the area.
“People need to go about their busi-
ness as unusual. They can’t be afraid of
what goes on,” Saydak said when asked
about the violent daytime incidents.
The constable noted such attacks are
“not normal” and assured the public po-
lice “take this matter very seriously.”
Scott Matthew MacCaull is charged
with four counts of robbery and single
counts of aggravated assault, uttering
threats and possession of property ob-
tained by crime over $5,000. He was
detained in custody.
WPS public affairs director Kelly
Dehn agreed the weekend crimes are
indicative of the trend in Winnipeg,
where police data show violent offences
increased by 12 per cent in 2023 and
31.4 per cent compared to the five-year
average.
“This was a very violent string of
attacks, and so yeah, you could say it’s
part of that,” he said.
tyler.searle@freepress.mb.ca
TYLER SEARLE
Body of missing woman
found in Saskatoon landfill
SASKATOON police announced Tuesday they
had found the remains of a missing woman in
a city landfill three months after their search
began.
Police, dozens of searchers and a forensic an-
thropologist began combing through trash at the
site in May in an attempt to find Mackenzie Lee
Trottier.
The 22-year-old Métis woman was last seen in
December 2020.
Paul Trottier told a news conference it had
been a long and difficult time trying to find out
what happened to his daughter. The 93 days po-
lice spent searching the landfill were particularly
tough, he said.
“Today, we have our answers. Mackenzie is
home,” he said.
Trottier thanked police and Métis and Indigen-
ous groups for their support. “Our (Missing and
Murdered Indigenous Women) family, victim ser-
vices … and our friends and family — you have
been the fabric that have held us together,” he
said.
Police Chief Cameron McBride said an autopsy
could not determine the cause of Trottier’s death
and the case has been turned over to the Sas-
katchewan Coroners Service.
Staff Sgt. Corey Lenius said a suspect in Trot-
tier’s disappearance died of a drug overdose in
December 2023. Because police can’t lay charges
against him, Lenius said, the man’s identity won’t
be released.
He did not say if the death is considered a homi-
cide.
Lenius added that Trottier and the suspect
knew each other, and Trottier stayed at the man’s
home “quite often.”
It was data from the man’s cellphone that point-
ed investigators to the landfill, the officer said.
Ernie Walker, a forensic anthropologist who
oversaw the landfill search, said finding Trotti-
er’s remains was “a fluke.”
Walker said the city’s ability to track waste
from pickup spots to the landfill was what al-
lowed this search to succeed, because it provided
a rough estimate of the area to go through.
Police estimate about 5,000 tonnes of waste was
sorted through in the search for Trottier. Some of
her remains were found July 30, and the rest of
her remains were discovered Thursday.
McBride said an estimated $1.5 million was
spent on the landfill search. Police have asked for
funding support from the federal and provincial
governments, he added.
A search for the remains of two slain First Na-
tions women is set to get underway later this year
at a landfill just north of Winnipeg.
Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew announced ear-
lier this year there is a multi-stage plan to search
the Prairie Green landfill for the remains of Mar-
cedes Myran and Morgan Harris.
Jeremy Skibicki was convicted last month of
first-degree murder in the deaths of Myran, Har-
ris and two other Indigenous women. Court heard
he killed the women and disposed of their bodies
in garbage bins.
Winnipeg police and the former Progressive
Conservative government refused to search the
landfill, saying it would be too complex and dan-
gerous.
The NDP government, elected last year, prom-
ised there would be a search. A provincial spokes-
person said Tuesday the forensic anthropologist
for the search has been following the Saskatoon
case closely.
“Manitoba’s team looks forward to meeting
with the Saskatoon team to learn from their suc-
cess,” the spokesperson said in an email.
— The Canadian Press
JACK FARRELL
;