Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 7, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
WEDNESDAY AUGUST 7, 2024 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
SECTION B
CONNECT WITH WINNIPEG’S NO. 1 NEWS SOURCE
▼
CITY
●
BUSINESS
Man riding at high speed when collision occurred
Cyclist dies after crashing into parked semi
A
67-YEAR-OLD male cyclist died
after crashing into the back of a
parked tractor-trailer on the side
of Kenaston Boulevard, near Waverley
Street, on Friday.
The cyclist was riding at high speed
when he collided with the rear of the
trailer, which had its hazard lights
activated on the northbound shoulder,
shortly before 2:30 p.m., the Winnipeg
Police Service said.
“It’s always tragic. You feel for the
family,” said Mark Cohoe, executive
director of Bike Winnipeg, which advo-
cates for increased cycling awareness
and safety in the city.
“The bottom line is it’s just tragic,”
said local Coun. Janice Lukes (Waver-
ley West).
The WPS provided limited informa-
tion in a news release Tuesday. Police
would not provide more details about
the cause of the crash, which is being
investigated by the traffic division.
The cyclist’s name was not released.
His family has been notified, police
said.
He is at least the second cyclist to be
killed on Winnipeg’s roads in as many
months. Police wouldn’t say if the man
was wearing a helmet.
The crash happened on a stretch of
Kenaston that has one separated cyc-
ling route (on the west side) north of
Waverley, and none to the south be-
tween Waverley and the Perimeter
Highway.
While details are limited, the inci-
dent points to a gap in Winnipeg’s ac-
tive transportation network, and the
importance of separated lanes for cyc-
lists, said Cohoe.
“You don’t have a pathway in that sec-
tion,” he said. “It just showcases that
we want to have a separation on those
roadways.”
There are plans to build a separated
lane on the east side of Kenaston north
of Waverley, said Lukes, chair of city
hall’s public works committee.
She said there are currently no plans
for bike routes on Kenaston between
Waverley and the Perimeter, given the
province’s previously announced plans
to build a bypass in the area.
“When the St. Norbert bypass comes
into play, then stuff like (bike lanes)
will happen,” said Lukes.
In 2015, the former NDP government
said construction of a new $400-million
route bypassing St. Norbert — by link-
ing Kenaston and Highway 75 — would
begin in five years and be completed
within 10 years.
The proposal included a cloverleaf
interchange at Kenaston and the Per-
imeter.
Almost 10 years later, no construc-
tion has taken place.
The NDP lost the 2016 provincial
election to the Progressive Conserv-
atives, who ordered studies and held
public information sessions while in
government. The Tories lost last year’s
election to the NDP.
A provincial spokesperson said a
2020 design study proposed an inter-
change at Kenaston and the Perimeter
as part of the long-term Winnipeg One
Million Perimeter Freeway Initiative.
CHRIS KITCHING
● CYCLIST, CONTINUED ON B2
RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS
CARRYING THE TORCH
Ken Galanchuk, a resident of Saul and
Claribel Simkin Centre and once among
the province’s top athletes in hockey and a
former Olympian in basketball, lights the
cauldron Tuesday for the first Interfacility
Olympics at the Saul and Claribel Simkin
Centre. Starting with the opening ceremon-
ies, the two-day event, which continues
Thursday, will include such activities as
balloon net volleyball, axe throwing and
shuffleboard.
Condo board says Aurora
in violation of its bylaws
Recovery
centre fight
headed to
courtroom
ERIK PINDERA
THE fight over an addiction treatment
centre in a residential condo develop-
ment on Waverley Street has moved to
litigation, despite the operator’s prom-
ise to relocate.
Michael Bruneau, president and chief
executive officer of Aurora Recovery
Centre — a private drug and alcohol
treatment centre north of Gimli —
purchased 23 units at 873 Waverley
St., with plans to renovate and rent the
suites out as the Aurora Family Re-
unification Village, in which children
would live with their parents as they
undergo treatment.
But the condo’s board and owners in
the development opposed the move, tell-
ing Bruneau the paperwork he signed
to buy the condos clearly indicates he
can’t operate a business of any kind in
the residential suites.
In late July, the condo board lawyer,
Lynda Troup of Thompson Dorfman
Sweatman, filed a notice of application
in Court of King’s Bench under the Con-
dominium Act, seeking a declaration
that Bruneau and his company are vio-
lating the condo’s bylaws by using the
suites for business purposes.
The application also seeks a court
order for Bruneau and his company
to cease and desist from carrying out
business in the development.
The court application was filed July
19, two days after Bruneau first told the
Free Press on July 17 he was going to
relocate from the development.
Bruneau said last week he still plans
to move.
“To find an empty apartment block is
quite hard, but I’ve… got an offer on a
site right now to build and I think I’m
going to get it,” he said Friday.
But he insisted he’s moving out only
because of opposition from the board
and other owners, not because his plan
violates the condo rules.
“(The clients) rent a place, it’s in their
name, and we get their children to move
back with them,” he said. “Aurora staff
are hired to help these parents live in
a home.”
He argued providing services to the
residents, such as counsellors and so-
cial workers, is equivalent to a private
homeowner hiring a home-care nurse
to provide services.
“The condo is saying I’m running a
business, I guess we’ll have to find out in
court,” said Bruneau. “The only reason
I’m looking to move — I really think I
can legally do what I’m doing — but the
clients feel very hurt, people are walk-
ing by taking pictures of them, staring.
I would not move if the clients were
happy and could handle the stress… but
they know they’re not wanted.”
The Free Press has confirmed that
people — apparent residents of the
treatment village — have continued to
move into the development.
● RECOVERY, CONTINUED ON B2
More than 130 dogs seized north of city
MANITOBA’S animal health and wel-
fare branch seized more than 130 dogs
from a home north of Winnipeg last
week as local shelters are struggling
— in some cases unable — to meet the
demand created by people who have
abandoned their pets.
The province and the Winnipeg Hu-
mane Society are working together to
provide shelter and care for the seized
dogs.
“This is putting a massive strain on
our shelters for financial gain, and you
just cannot care for animals in that
amount properly,” humane society CEO
Jessica Miller told a news conference
Tuesday.
“They’re (living) on top of each other.
It’s selfish to create animals when shel-
ters are bursting.”
She said details she could share were
in short supply because the investiga-
tion is ongoing, but pointed to backyard
breeders as a major contributor to the
overpopulation problem in many parts
of the province.
Latest case puts ‘massive strain’ on shelters
already struggling to meet demand
MATTHEW FRANK
● DOGS, CONTINUED ON B2
MATTHEW FRANK / FREE PRESS
Jessica Miller, CEO of the Winnipeg Humane Society, with Andrew Clark, director of the soci-
ety’s investigations team, said 130 dogs were seized from a home north of Winnipeg.
;