Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 8, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Centre Street West 55+ Development
By Falki Developments
199 Center Avenue West,
Gimli Manitoba
Available September 1, 2024
Monthly Rate:
$
2200 plus utilities
• 1160 sq ft living space with
fi nished 280 sq ft garage
• Spacious 2-bedroom,
2-bathroom fl oor plans
• Attached garage with direct
access to your home
• In-fl oor radiant heating for
year-round comfort
• Covered back patio and
relaxing outdoor space
• No condo fees or unexpected,
additional expenses
• Snow removal / Grass cutting
included
• Wheel Chair Accessible
• In-suite Laundry
• Quartz Counter-tops
• Stainless Steel Appliances
• 24/7 security surveillance
• Long-term leases
• 30 Units available for lease
Contact: info@falkidevelopments.com
Tel: 204-407-6030
TOP NEWS
A3 THURSDAY AUGUST 8, 2024 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
Highway 6
remains deadly,
dangerous
A
T least 12 people were killed in
vehicle crashes in a two-week
span, prompting a plea for Mani-
tobans to take care on the roads and
avoid high-risk driving behaviours.
The grim toll includes three people
who died in related collisions on High-
way 6 Monday — a head-on crash in-
volving a handi-van and the other in-
volving people who became stranded
waiting for the route to reopen.
One of the victims was identified as
Marybelle Yetman, 23, who lived in
Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation in north-
ern Manitoba.
“Marybelle’s beautiful bright spirit
will be remembered by all who knew
her,” NCN Chief Angela Levasseur and
council said in a statement. “Mary-
belle’s large, close-knit, loving family
fondly remembers her as ‘the baby’ and
the ‘apple of her father’s eye,’ she was a
true ‘daddy’s girl.’
“Marybelle was a wonderful mother
of two beautiful twin girls and a hand-
some son. She was a caring and special
daughter, sibling, friend, and relative,
as well as a devoted partner to Devon
Hart.”
RCMP spokeswoman Tara Seel said
36 people have died in 32 collisions in
RCMP jurisdiction so far in 2024, com-
pared with 78 deaths during the same
period in 2023.
The five-year average from Jan. 1 to
Aug. 7 is 49 deaths.
“Our condolences go out to the fam-
ilies and friends and loved ones who
have lost someone in these collisions,”
said Seel.
In Winnipeg, 15 people have died in
collisions this year, a city police spokes-
woman said. The Winnipeg Police Ser-
vice reported eight fatalities in 2023
and 28 in 2022.
Seel said fatal collisions have
far-reaching impacts on victims’ fam-
ilies and friends, and on police officers
who respond or inform next of kin.
“When you have to go knock on some-
one’s door and tell them their loved one
is never coming home, you can never
really put that away,” she said. “That
stays with you your whole career and
beyond.”
Impaired driving, speeding, distract-
ed driving or non-use of seatbelts are
common factors in crashes in Mani-
toba.
“These are the high-risk driving
behaviours that we’re seeing that are
leading to deaths on the roads,” said
Seel.
She urged people to drive sober, slow
down, stay focused and wear a seatbelt.
“We all must do our part,” she said.
The RCMP continues to investigate
the crashes on Highway 6.
The first happened at about 3:30
p.m. Monday, when a northbound SUV
crossed the centre line and collided
with a southbound minivan, which was
operating as a handi-van, about 40 kilo-
metres south of Grand Rapids, said po-
lice.
Yetman, the front passenger in the
SUV, died at the scene. The SUV’s
23-year-old male passenger was not
seriously injured, said RCMP.
NCN said a young female underwent
surgery after suffering extensive injur-
ies, and a young male passenger was
released from hospital after being air-
lifted to Winnipeg.
The minivan’s front passenger, a
42-year-old Mosakahiken Cree Nation
woman, died after being taken to Grand
Rapids’ nursing station, said RCMP.
The driver — a 53-year-old Winni-
peg man — and a passenger suffered
non-life-threatening injuries.
RCMP advised motorists the high-
way would remain closed for a lengthy
period. Many opted to turn around, said
police.
When the highway reopened at 11
p.m., a northbound SUV had a drained
battery from the long wait and would
not start, said RCMP. The driver of a
northbound pickup truck turned around
and pulled up behind the SUV to help.
As the vehicles’ occupants stood out-
side, a northbound van pulling a load-
ed trailer crashed into the back of the
pickup, which was pushed into the SUV.
The SUV then struck two men from
The Pas who had been in that vehicle.
A 33-year-old man died at the scene.
A 36-year-old man was not seriously in-
jured, said police.
This year, six people have been killed
in four crashes on Highway 6, which
extends between Thompson and the
Perimeter Highway on Winnipeg’s out-
skirts.
One fatality was reported in both
2022 and 2023, said Seel.
The Safer Highway 6 Citizens Ad-
visory Group has called for improve-
ments, including more passing lanes,
rest stops and wider shoulders, on the
northern part of the route.
Group member and Thompson resi-
dent Volker Beckmann said several
factors, including fatigue from jour-
neys that last up to 10 hours, comprom-
ise safety on northern Manitoba’s main
highway, which is about 740 kilometres
long.
He said many residents are scared to
use the highway, especially during the
winter months, but have no choice.
The group has presented its recom-
mendations to the NDP and Progres-
sive Conservatives in recent years.
“It should be something adopted by
any political party in terms of reducing
accidents and deaths,” said Beckmann.
Transportation and Infrastructure
Minister Lisa Naylor is attending a
northern transportation symposium in
Thompson in September, when Beck-
mann will give a presentation on the
group’s concerns and recommenda-
tions.
Naylor said Highway 6 is a priority
for the NDP government.
“It’s a terrible tragedy,” she said of
Monday’s fatal collisions. “I’m horri-
fied by the loss of life for anybody on
our highway network.”
The province created a road safety
unit, tasked with reviewing the network
for safety improvements, in response to
a crash that killed 17 seniors near Car-
berry last year.
“We want a system that’s safe for how
people actually drive, not how they are
supposed to drive,” said Naylor.
More than $100 million has been set
aside for projects on Highway 6 in the
province’s five-year infrastructure
plan, including reconstruction of two
stretches that are 14.3 km and 16.5 km
in length, respectively.
Temporary toilets and garbage bins
were installed at the Devils Lake rest
area and a new location near Williams
River before the May long weekend.
chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca
CHRIS KITCHING
SUPPLIED
Marybelle Yetman.
RCMP pleads for caution as northern route,
others bring death toll to 12 in two weeks
Peace breaks out as London
braces for violent protests
LONDON — As the British capital
braced for another night of violent
far-right protests, Canada has up-
dated a travel advisory, warning
visitors to “exercise a high degree
of caution” when travelling to the
United Kingdom.
Those expected anti-immigration
protests failed to materialize, as
peaceful anti-racism demonstrators
instead showed up in force.
Police had prepared for another
night of violence at 100 locations fol-
lowing a week of rioting and disor-
der fuelled by misinformation over a
stabbing attack against young girls.
Many businesses had boarded up
windows and closed down in fear of
what lay ahead.
Stand up to Racism and other
groups had planned counter-protests
in response, but in most places they
reclaimed their streets with nothing
to oppose.
In London, Bristol, Oxford, Liver-
pool and Birmingham, large, peace-
ful crowds gathered outside agencies
and law firms specializing in immi-
gration that had been listed by inter-
net chat groups as possible targets of
far-right activity.
In resounding choruses they chant-
ed: “Whose streets? Our streets!”
It was a vast change from the chaos
that has erupted on streets through-
out England and Belfast, Northern
Ireland, since July 30.
The Canadian travel advisory
warned that even peaceful demon-
strations can turn violent at any time
and that Canadians should take note
of any protests in the immediate
vicinity.
Cities and towns have been wracked
by riots and looting for the past week
as angry mobs, encouraged by far-
right extremists, clashed with po-
lice and counter-demonstrators. The
disturbances began after misinfor-
mation spread about the stabbing
rampage that killed three girls in
the seaside community of Southport,
with social media users falsely iden-
tifying the suspect as an immigrant
and a Muslim.
Rioters spouting anti-immigrant
slogans have attacked mosques and
hotels housing asylum-seekers, cre-
ating fear in Muslim and immigrant
communities. In recent days, reports
have emerged of violent counter-
attacks in some areas.
The head of London’s Metropol-
itan Police Service said earlier Wed-
nesday that officers were focused
on protecting immigration lawyers
and services. In addition to thou-
sands of officers already deployed,
about 1,300 specialist forces were on
standby in case of serious trouble in
London.
“We’ll protect those people,” Com-
missioner Mark Rowley said. “It is
completely unacceptable, regardless
of your political views, to intimidate
any sector of lawful activity, and we
will not let the immigration asylum
system be intimidated.”
By early late evening, though, with
the exception of scattered disturb-
ances and some arrests, trouble had
not erupted.
A crowd of immigrant supporters
that quickly grew to several hun-
dred in the London neighbourhood
of North Finchley found themselves
largely alone with several dozen po-
lice officers.
The crowd chanted “refugees wel-
come” and “London against racism.”
Some held signs saying “Stop the far
right,” “Migration is not a crime” and
“Finchley against Fascism.”
At one point, an unruly man who
had been shouting at the group and
pulling his shirt up to show off an
eagle tattoo was punched by a pro-
tester. He was led away by someone
and officers questioned a possible
suspect.
Outside an immigration centre in
the Walthamstow area in east Lon-
don, an anti-racism protest leader
barked “fascist scum” to which a
crowd of hundreds responded: “off
our streets.”
In Liverpool, hundreds showed up
to defend the Asylum Link immi-
gration centre. A grandmother held
a placard reading “Nans Against
Nazis” and someone else held a sign
saying, “When the poor blame the
poor only the rich win.”
Prime Minister Keir Starmer has
described the previous disturbances
as “far-right thuggery,” rejecting any
suggestion that the riots were about
the government’s immigration poli-
cies. He has warned that anyone tak-
ing part in the violence would “face
the full force of the law.”
Police have made more than 400
arrests and are considering using
counter-terrorism laws to prosecute
some rioters.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said in a
post on X that the police, city hall and
community leaders were working to
protect targeted buildings and places
of worship.
— The Associated Press
Canada issues travel advisory for Great Britain
DANICA KIRKA AND BRIAN MELLEY
PA
Counter-protesters gather in Walthanstow, London ahead of anticipated far-right protests that never materialized.
Your present
can change
their future.
When your need is hope
Amazing things are possible
when you support St. Boniface
Hospital Foundation.
204-237-2067
bealifeline.ca
GIVE TODAY
;