Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 8, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Going
to the
Lake?
Relax with the Free Press
all summer long!
Pick up the Saturday Weekend Edition
of the Free Press at these resort areas:
• Clear Lake
• Falcon Lake
• Gimli
• Grand Beach
• Nestor Falls, ON
• St. Laurent
• Sioux Narrows, ON
• Victoria Beach
• West Hawk Lake
• Whiteshell
• Winnipeg Beach
• Lac du Bonnet
YOUR SUMMERTIME NECESSITY!
ss
Experience the vibrant lifestyle at Misericordia
Terrace in the heart of Winnipeg! Nestled at the
edge of Wolseley neighborhood, our community
offers an active and engaged
living experience for adults 55+.
WHY CHOOSE
MISERICORDIA TERRACE?
• 1 & 2-bedroom apartments
• All-inclusive living with meals,
housekeeping, & more
• Washer/dryer, fridge freezer & microwave
included
• Proximity to local shops, restaurants,
& amenities
• Active living with bus routes & walking trails
• Stunning panoramic city views & seasonal
terrace access
*terms and conditions apply
LIMITED-TIME OFFER!
Sign your lease and move in by October 30, 2024
to receive a $1500 CAD move-in bonus*!
$1500CAD
MOVE-IN BONUS!
MOVE-IN SPECIAL
AT MISERICORDIA TERRACE
Don’t miss out on this
limited-time offer! Enhance
your lifestyle and join our
thriving community today.
CALL US AT
204.788.8020
or visit
misericordiaterrace.ca
TO SCHEDULE A TOUR
Hurry, offer ends soon!
THURSDAY, AUGUST 8, 2024
A4
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
NEWS I CANADA / WORLD
Canada pulls
diplomats’ kids out
of Israel as fear of
broader war builds
OTTAWA — The Canadian government
said it decided to pull its diplomats’
children and their guardians out of Is-
rael, amid fears over an expanded Mid-
dle East war.
Global Affairs Canada said it has ap-
proved the temporary relocation of the
children and their guardians to a safe
third country.
Embassy staff are expected to re-
main in Israel.
“The Embassy of Canada to Israel
in Tel Aviv, the Embassy of Canada to
Lebanon in Beirut and the Representa-
tive Office of Canada to the Palestinian
Authority, all remain fully operational
and continue to provide essential ser-
vices to Canadians, including consular
services,” Global Affairs Canada said
in a statement Wednesday evening.
Diplomats stationed in nearby Ram-
allah in the West Bank and in Beirut,
Lebanon, do not have dependents living
with them.
“Staff at our missions in Lebanon and
Ramallah remain in place and are be-
ing regularly updated on the ongoing
situation and the measures Global Af-
fairs Canada is taking,” the department
said.
Tensions in the Middle East have
sparked fears about an all-out war af-
ter the killing last week of a senior
Hezbollah commander in Lebanon and
Hamas’s top political leader in Iran.
On Saturday, the government warned
Canadians to avoid all travel to Israel
due to the “ongoing regional armed
conflict and the unpredictable security
situation.”
The government also advises against
travelling to the West Bank, Gaza Strip,
Jerusalem and Lebanon.
The current conflict broke out on
Oct. 7, after Hamas launched a deadly
surprise attack on Israel that killed an
estimated 1,200 people. The Hamas-
run Health Ministry in Gaza reports
more than 39,100 Palestinians have
since been killed in the war.
The Gaza Strip has been ravaged by
the conflict, which has also seen a pre-
viously unprecedented direct assault
on Israel by Iran, as well as Israeli at-
tacks on Iran and Lebanon, including
the capital city of Beirut.
— The Canadian Press
LAURA OSMAN
Region on edge after killing of Hamas leader in Tehran
Israel at ‘peak readiness’; awaits Iran response: IDF
I
SRAEL / LEBANON — Military
Chief of General Staff Herzi Hale-
vi said Israeli forces were at “peak
readiness, both in offence and in de-
fence,” as they braced for Iran’s prom-
ised retaliation for the killing of a
Hamas leader on Iranian soil.
“We will know how to carry out a very
rapid offensive anywhere in Lebanon,
anywhere in Gaza, anywhere in the
Middle East, above ground and below
ground,” he told members of the Israel
Defense Forces (IDF) on Wednesday.
In his remarks made at the Tel Nof
Air Force Base, the IDF chief noted:
“We have carried out very important
operations in recent weeks, eliminat-
ing the most senior commanders of our
most problematic enemies and we are
not stopping.”
The Middle East has been on edge
since the killing of Hamas leader Is-
mail Haniyeh in a targeted attack
blamed on Israel as he visited Tehran
last week.
That came on the heels of Israel kill-
ing Fuad Shukr, a top military com-
mander with the Iranian-allied Hezbol-
lah, who was killed in Beirut.
There is widespread expectation that
an attack on Israel by Iran and its al-
lies — like Hezbollah in Lebanon, the
Palestinian militant group Hamas in
Gaza and the Houthis in Yemen — is
imminent.
That in turn has raised fears that a
strong Israeli counter-attack could
spark an all-out war in the region.
Echoing similar appeals made in re-
cent days, French President Emmanuel
Macron urged Iran’s new president,
Masoud Pezeshkian, to de-escalate the
situation in the Middle East.
Macron called upon Pezeshkian to
do everything possible to prevent fur-
ther military escalation, which would
benefit no one, not even Iran, and would
cause lasting damage to regional stabil-
ity, Macron’s office, the Élysée Palace,
said on Wednesday evening.
Egypt prohibited its airlines from
flying over the Iranian capital Tehran
overnight Wednesday.
“All Egyptian airlines should avoid
flights over Tehran,” a security notice
from the civil aviation authority in
Cairo read.
Plans for flights over this area will
be rejected, it said. Such a notice from
Egypt is “very unusual,” wrote the or-
ganization OPS Group, which informs
its members about risks and changes in
international air traffic.
“It is possible that this is an indicator
of an Iranian response to Israel and in
turn a potentially large set of airspace
disruptions,” the group wrote.
Earlier this week, Jordan asked all in-
coming aircraft to carry an additional
45 minutes of fuel in case of diversions,
while a number of airlines have sus-
pended flights to Beirut.
On Wednesday, a major bloc of Mus-
lim-majority countries meeting in
Saudi Arabia denounced Haniyeh’s kill-
ing.
Foreign ministers of member states
of the 57-member Organization of Is-
lamic Cooperation (OIC) said it strong-
ly condemned the assassination “and
holds Israel, the illegal occupying
power, fully responsible for this hein-
ous attack.”
Haniyeh’s killing “constitutes a
crime of aggression, a flagrant viola-
tion of international law and the UN
Charter and a serious infringement of
the sovereignty, territorial integrity
and national security of the Islamic Re-
public of Iran,” it added.
In the closing statement by the min-
isters who met in the Saudi coastal city
of Jeddah, the OIC also condemned “the
continued war crimes, aggression and
genocide committed by Israel” in the
Gaza Strip and the West Bank.
Lebanon’s Shiite Hezbollah organiza-
tion congratulated Yahya Sinwar after
he was named on Tuesday as Haniyeh’s
successor for the top Hamas post.
Sinwar had previously been the lead-
er of Hamas in the Gaza Strip, where he
has eluded Israeli forces for the past 10
months of war.
He was one of the masterminds of the
October 7 attacks on southern Israel
that left some 1,200 people dead.
Sinwar’s appointment as head of the
organization’s political bureau was
proof of Israel’s failure, Hezbollah said
in a statement.
With Sinwar’s appointment, Hamas
was also sending a “strong message” to
Israel and its allies, since Hamas was
united in its decisions and remained
steadfast. It was “continuing on the
path of resistance and struggle,” Hez-
bollah said.
Meanwhile, the Houthi rebels in
Yemen and Hamas allies also congratu-
lated Sinwar.
A spokesman for the militia said on
X that the Houthis prayed that Sinwar
would receive “divine support” to ful-
fill his responsibilities “in this historic
phase in the confrontation with Israel.”
— The Associated Press
CHRIS MCGRATH / GETTY IMAGES
Mourners carry the coffin of Hezbollah fighter Amin Hassan Badreddine during his funeral service in Beirut, Lebanon, Wednesday.
;