Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 8, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
THURSDAY AUGUST 8, 2024 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
SECTION B
CONNECT WITH WINNIPEG’S NO. 1 NEWS SOURCE
▼
CITY
●
BUSINESS
Location, location… no thanks
F
OR almost a year, Ed Artola
tried to sell his one-storey
rental bungalow in the
500-block of Atlantic Avenue before
finally giving up.
He didn’t receive a single offer
and he’s blaming a vacant home next
door.
“There are reports of drug usage
(from people who break in) — which
isn’t a surprise — property damage
to my property, breaking into my
property, not being able to sell my
property. It creates a stigma for the
neighbourhood,” said Artola.
White boards covered the empty
home’s windows and doors Wednes-
day, while its tall grass nearly
reached the height of a fence that
divides the two lots.
Artola said the empty home
sometimes attracts squatters and he
fears it could be set on fire, due to the
increased arson risk facing vacant
and derelict structures.
In July 2023, he listed his property
for sale, aiming to move on from be-
ing a landlord. When it became clear
he wouldn’t be able to sell it, he opted
to find a new tenant in June.
“There were people I was told who
wanted to buy the property but… this
property next door was scaring them
off,” he said.
While sales are sizzling in some
segments of Winnipeg’s housing mar-
ket, Artola said dropping the home’s
sale price from $180,000 to $150,000
— the price he paid for it in 2021 —
also failed to attract a buyer.
He said city bylaw officers helped
ensure the house next door is se-
curely boarded up, though he would
ideally like to see it torn down and
replaced.
“I’d love the city to (do) more…. It’s
so slow to get answers, it’s slow for
them to take repossession of these
properties,” he said.
“I know they should take more
accountability, but it might be a
financial thing. Maybe they don’t
have money to knock down all these
properties that are just sitting there.”
He’s considering legal action
against the vacant home’s owner.
City spokesman Kalen Qually con-
firmed that property has been “under
enforcement as a vacant building”
since December 2023, though Winni-
peg Fire Paramedic Service has not
been there because of fires or fire
inspections during that time.
“The city does receive complaints
about vacant properties through 311,
most often about suspected vacant
properties, but we’re not able to quan-
tify how many may have been about
home sales related to vacant proper-
ties,” Qually told the Free Press in an
email.
He noted the city approved a
request to split the vacant property
on Atlantic into two single-family lots
in December 2022, which indicates it
could be redeveloped in the future.
Realtor Frank Zappia, of Zappia
Group Realty, said he has also faced
challenges in selling homes next to
vacant structures.
“It basically wipes out (the chance
of) a family moving there because
of the risk of fire next door…. It be-
comes a fire hazard, arson, all sorts
of stuff can happen,” said Zappia.
That challenge can lead owners to
drop prices or keep homes to rent
them out, preventing permanent resi-
dents from moving in, he said, noting
vacant homes grew more common
after the pandemic.
“Ideally, you need the city to do
something about them… and not just
let them sit there. The longer you let
them (sit there), the more dangerous
it becomes,” said Zappia.
As of last month, the city was
monitoring 695 properties through its
vacant buildings bylaw.
Coun. Cindy Gilroy (Daniel McIn-
tyre) said she’s received complaints
from residents who have struggled
to sell homes because of derelict
properties nearby. Gilroy said the
problem can be devastating for peo-
ple who were banking on their homes
to cover expenses after retiring.
“People maybe have invested in
their properties for years, doing
many upkeeps and when they do look
at downsizing… if that’s their nest
egg for their future and that’s what
they were trying to live off of, it can
be very, very difficult,” she said.
Gilroy noted the city has increased
bylaw inspections, ramped up fines
and enhanced requirements for
boarding up vacant homes to try to
tackle the problem.
Vacant, derelict properties slam brakes
on nearby home sales, neighbours say
JOYANNE PURSAGA
NIC ADAM / FREE PRESS
Ed Artola is a Winnipeg landlord who blames a vacant house next door for preventing him from being able to sell a home he owns and rents out on Atlantic Avenue.
Families of deceased denied
funding for lawyers
Province
to ‘explore
options’ to
cover costs
ERIK PINDERA
JUSTICE Minister Matt Wiebe says the
province is exploring its options after
a judge recommended government be
required to cover the cost of lawyers
representing families of the deceased
at inquests.
Provincial court Judge Robert Hein-
richs made the recommendation in a
report last week on the long-delayed
joint inquest into the police-involved
deaths of Evan Caron, 33, and Adrian
Lacquette, 23, which he oversaw in
January.
In a statement issued Wednesday,
Wiebe said he reviewed the report and
the judge’s recommendations.
“I take to heart the comments made
by family members at the inquest about
the burden it can place on them,” Wiebe
said.
“Moving forward, we will explore op-
tions so that all families have the oppor-
tunity to meaningfully participate in
the inquest process.”
But he stopped short of saying the
province would make the funding man-
datory, as Hein-
richs urged.
The men were
shot and killed by
Winnipeg police
a week and a half
apart in Septem-
ber 2017 in separ-
ate circumstances.
The shootings of
both men — Caron
stabbed an officer,
while Lacquette pointed a gun at police
— were deemed justified.
Heinrichs’ lengthy report from the
inquest — a court hearing called by
the chief medical examiner to look at
the facts of deaths in certain circum-
stances — was released to the public
last Thursday.
Many families, Heinrichs wrote,
can’t afford to pay for lawyers and
provincial judges have no authority to
order any agency to cover the cost.
Provincial funding has, technically,
been available for families who’ve been
granted standing in inquests in the
past, but is only provided in extraordin-
ary cases.
A government spokesman previously
said five of 10 families who sought such
funding in any provincial inquest since
2017 were approved.
The factors the province considers in
granting the money include: the com-
plexity of the inquest; whether it could
be said the Crown attorney assigned to
the inquest is not able to “protect the
family’s interest;” if the family had a
role in the events being examined; and
their ability to pay.
Vivian Caron and Joanne Malcolm,
mothers of the two men, sought funding
from the government, but were denied.
“They wanted to have legal counsel
represent them at this inquest … Joanne
Malcolm and Vivian Caron carried on,
wanting to represent themselves, how-
ever, Joanne Malcolm eventually gave
up,” wrote Heinrichs.
“Vivian Caron did carry on admir-
ably and fully participated in this in-
quest, questioning witnesses and mak-
ing recommendations. However, she
would have benefited from having legal
counsel.”
Vivian Caron, who is in her late 50s,
told the court the hearing was not satis-
factory for her, as a result.
Heinrichs said that seeking but not
securing funds has been the case for
“many other family members” in pre-
vious inquests.
The judge suggested providing such
funding aligns with the principles of
reconciliation between Indigenous
people and other Canadians. Both Evan
Caron and Lacquette were Indigenous.
Richard Longstrup — a lawyer ap-
pointed to conduct the hearings as in-
quest counsel — also focused on legal
funding in his closing remarks.
Longstrup recommended funding be
made mandatory, in part, so lawyers
can help families cope during the diffi-
cult hearings and sift through complex
evidence on their behalf.
erik.pindera@freepress.mb.ca
Pavilion protest decries Israeli actions in Gaza
ROUGHLY 40 protesters outside Folk-
lorama’s Israel pavilion held Palestin-
ian flags and handmade signs reading
“This is genocide” and “Winnipeg for-
ever stands with Gaza” Wednesday.
The peaceful protest, the latest in a
series dating back 10 years, outside the
Asper Jewish Community Campus on
Doncaster Street sought to inform pa-
vilion-goers about the conflict between
Israel and Hamas and its impact on
civilian life, an organizer said.
“Our goal here is to educate the
people going into the Israeli pavilion
that probably wouldn’t know about it,”
said Ramsey Zeid, president of the
Canadian Palestinian Association of
Manitoba Wednesday night. “These are
average Winnipeggers going into Folk-
lorama, thinking that this is just a nor-
mal, everyday pavilion but maybe not
knowing that they are killing innocent
Palestinians every day, that they’re
stealing their heritage, their culture,
their food.”
Zeid said the turnout is smaller than
they’ve had in some years, adding it’s
smaller because “people are tired,
people are worn down” from protesting
for the last 10 months. Tensions be-
tween the cultural groups have been
heightened as war continues in the Mid-
dle Eastern states.
Zeid added it’s important to continue
protesting. If they stop, it sends a mes-
sage that what Israel is doing to Pales-
tinian people is okay, he added.
The Israel pavilion was aware of
the pro-Palestinian protest scheduled
to happen Wednesday evening and to-
night, said Jeff Lieberman Wednesday
afternoon. After the gathering began,
the chief executive officer of the Jew-
ish Federation of Winnipeg said there
were fewer people in the rally than he
had anticipated.
“Everybody has a right to protest
peacefully and that’s what they were
doing,” Lieberman said on the phone.
“We knew it would be a little bit larger
than normal and we expected that it
would be peaceful, and it is.”
Lieberman said in anticipation of
the bigger rally, the pavilion worked
with police and Folklorama like they
do every year to create a security plan.
The security presence this year was
larger, he added, as multiple marked
and unmarked police vehicles parked
nearby or drove the streets.
The protesters have never been vio-
lent, Lieberman said. In previous years,
there have generally been 10 or fewer
members in the rallies.
There was no disruption to those try-
ing to get into the show.
jura.mcilraith@freepress.mb.ca
JURA MCILRAITH
NIC ADAM / FREE PRESS
Protesters for Palestine demonstrate across the street from the Israel Folklorama pavilion at
the Asper Jewish Community Campus Wednesday.
● DERELICT, CONTINUED ON B2
Matt Wiebe
;