Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 9, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
A2
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
NEWS
FRIDAY, AUGUST 9, 2024
VOL 153 NO 227
Winnipeg Free Press est 1872 / Winnipeg Tribune est 1890
2024 Winnipeg Free Press,
a division of FP Canadian Newspapers Limited Partnership.
Published six days a week in print and always online
at 1355 Mountain Avenue,
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R2X 3B6, PH: 204-697-7000
CEO / MIKE POWER
Editor / PAUL SAMYN
Associate Editor Enterprise / SCOTT GIBBONS
Associate Editor News / STACEY THIDRICKSON
Associate Editor Digital News / WENDY SAWATZKY
Director Photo and Multimedia / MIKE APORIUS
NEWSMEDIA COUNCIL
The Winnipeg Free Press is a member of the National
Newsmedia Council, which is an independent organization established
to determine acceptable journalistic practices and ethical behaviour. If
you have concerns about editorial content, please send them to:
editorialconcerns@freepress.mb.ca.
If you are not satisfied with the response and wish to file a formal
complaint, visit the website at www.mediacouncil.ca and fill out the
form or call toll-free 1-844-877-1163 for additional information.
ADVERTISING
Classified (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7100
wfpclass@freepress.mb.ca
Obituaries (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7384
Display Advertising : 204-697-7122
FP.Advertising@freepress.mb.ca
EDITORIAL
Newsroom/tips: 204-697-7292
Fax: 204-697-7412
Photo desk: 204-697-7304
Sports desk: 204-697-7285
Business news: 204-697-7292
Photo REPRINTS:
libraryservices@winnipegfreepress.com
City desk / City.desk@freepress.mb.ca
CANADA POST SALES AGREEMENT NO. 0563595
Recycled newsprint is used in the
production of the newspaper.
PLEASE RECYCLE.
INSIDE
Arts and Life C1
Business B5
Classifieds D8
Comics C5
Diversions C6-7
Horoscope C6
Miss Lonelyhearts C6
Obituaries D7
Opinion A6-7
Real Estate B8
Sports D1
Television C4
Weather C8
COLUMNISTS:
Peter Denton A7
READER SERVICE ● GENERAL INQUIRIES 204-697-7000
CIRCULATION INQUIRIES
MISSING OR INCOMPLETE PAPER?
Call or email before 10 a.m. weekdays
or 11 a.m. Saturday
City: 204-697-7001
Outside Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900 press 1
6:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday-Friday.;
7 a.m. - noon Saturday; Closed Sunday
TO SUBSCRIBE: 204-697-7001
Out of Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900
The Free Press receives support from
the Local Journalism Initiative funded
by the Government of Canada
Provincial court Judge Darcie Yale,
who sentenced Noel after his guilty
pleas earlier this year to possession
of a restricted or prohibited firearm
and two counts of possessing a weapon
contrary to court orders, revealed the
circumstances of the slaying in an
Aug. 1 written sentencing decision.
Yale wrote that Winnipeg police
found the sawed-off shotgun in the
basement of Noel’s girlfriend’s moth-
er’s house, after determining Noel had
it in his possession on the day of the
killing.
“Why WPS were searching for the
gun is relevant. A person… who said
he wanted to buy drugs from Mr. Noel
was shot and killed. Mr. Noel was a
suspect in the death. After his arrest,
Mr. Noel gave a statement to police
admitting his involvement in the shoot-
ing,” wrote Yale.
Noel, who was released on bail for
unrelated matters 15 days before the
shooting, was required to live at his
Young Street suite by a court order
that also barred him from possess-
ing any weapons, on top of a 10-year
weapons ban stemming from a prior
conviction.
He was sitting in his bedroom, sell-
ing fentanyl, when Catcheway and his
girlfriend showed up on the pretense of
wanting to buy an ounce of the power-
ful opioid.
Noel told Catcheway he did not have
the amount of fentanyl he wanted, but
would sell him what he had, the judge
wrote. Catcheway was armed with two
guns concealed under his jacket.
Noel had been warned by others that
Catcheway had been robbing people in
the drug world and when he began to
“act erratically,” Noel grew concerned
he was about to be robbed, wrote Yale.
“When the deceased started to reach
behind his back, Mr. Noel pulled out
the gun which he had been storing
loaded with ammunition beside him in
his bed. He did so to deter the de-
ceased from escalating further,” wrote
Yale.
“Mr. Noel and the deceased pointed
their guns at each other. Fearful for
his life, Mr. Noel pulled the trigger of
the gun. He shot the deceased in the
neck, killing him.”
Noel, who turned to living the life
of a hustler as a teen amid a difficult
childhood and has long struggled with
drugs, is no stranger to the criminal
justice system. Yale called his record
“unenviable.”
Noel estimated he has spent 20 of his
55 years behind bars in provincial and
federal facilities.
“His adulthood evidences a life spent
struggling with addictions, violence,
instability in housing and employment,
and complex loss,” wrote Yale, noting
Noel was dealing fentanyl, in part, to
support his own addiction.
But Yale said he has made progress
in trying to recover from the drugs
since his incarceration, though he has
struggled with his mental health.
“Mr. Noel recognizes that but for his
offending behaviour (having the gun
with which he defended himself), he
would be dead,” said Yale.
“The profound impact of this realiza-
tion, coupled with overwhelming stress
associated with being charged with
murder in the death of the deceased…
have hit home and have given him
incentive to change his life.”
Noel immigrated to Canada from
Grenada with his family when he
was around four or five. His parents,
who worked long hours, were largely
absent. His father beat him with a belt,
the judge wrote, leading him to leave
the family home at 14, struggling while
living with another teen.
His parents later decided to move
back to Grenada, where he did not
adjust as a teen, so he moved back to
Winnipeg with his brother to live with
their godfather, who kicked Noel out
when he dropped out of school.
That is when he began to drink
and use drugs, getting in trouble and
becoming transient, leading to a life
of criminal behaviour and addictions,
Yale wrote.
Noel, who has been in custody since
his June 2022 arrest, has just over 2 ½
years left to serve of his sentence. He
will be banned from owning weapons
of any kind for life.
erik.pindera@freepress.mb.ca
The deal covers all educators except
employees of the Division scolaire
franco-manitobaine and those who be-
long to MTS federal bargaining units
in Sandy Bay Ojibway First Nation and
Nelson House.
Its expiration will coincide with the
September 2026 rollout of a new prov-
incewide teacher salary schedule.
Under the harmonized grid, new
hires with a bachelor’s degree in
education will make more than $70,000
annually. Within a decade, those em-
ployees will earn six-figure salaries,
even without additional credentials.
Teachers in the Frontier, Flin Flon
and Kelsey school divisions will
receive an additional $3,000 northern
allowance.
In Thompson-area schools, employ-
ees will maintain status quo salaries.
These educators now no longer have to
forfeit pay if they are unable to travel
to work due to inclement weather.
The Manitoba School Boards Associ-
ation highlighted new language in the
agreement that is “in support of truth
and reconciliation” in a news release
Thursday.
Educators who teach at least 12
per cent of the time in an Indigenous
language will be compensated with a
$500 allowance.
The contract also guarantees paid
leave for up to three days for tradition-
al Indigenous ceremonial, cultural and
spiritual observances.
Other non-salary articles include a
5.5-hour limit on instructional days
and an increase in the minimum
preparation time so teachers are enti-
tled to 210 minutes of prep every cycle
(typically a six-school day rotation) in
2025-26.
A single day off is to be credited for
50 hours of voluntary extracurricular
activity, up to a maximum of three
days.
Divisions will have to recognize
professional development over the
summer months and grant up to two
more days of personal leave during the
year.
Following an on-the-job injury, be it
physical or psychological, teachers will
be reimbursed with sick leave days
and up to $1,000.
While describing the deal as a win
for roughly 16,000 public school teach-
ers, Hauseman questioned the absence
of specific language surrounding
class-size caps and composition.
The associate professor’s other
criticism is the agreement’s generous
pay and “advertising” for uncertified
substitutes because he said it does not
encourage certification.
Substitute pay is being standardized
by geographical region for September
2025. When that grid comes into effect,
employees with temporary teaching
permits will earn 80 per cent of their
certified colleagues’ wages.
maggie.macintosh@freepress.mb.ca
It was a devastating loss, Park said,
and ended her dream of an Olympic
gold in Paris.
It also meant her chance at a repe-
chage round depended on the Korean
advancing to the final. In Olympic
taekwondo, two repechages are held to
decide two bronze medallists.
The system is intended to give
competitors who may have been drawn
against the top contender in earlier
rounds a fair chance at a medal. Con-
tenders defeated by the finalists in the
quarter and semifinals are matched to
determine two third-place winners.
Fortunately for Park, Kim beat No.1-
ranked Zongshi Luo of China in a tight,
three-round semifinal match.
“That was really motivating for me
and just made me fully focused on the
task at hand and I was really hungry
for that medal,” Park said.
“Those last two matches are a good
representation of that.”
Park earned her place in the bronze
match with a decisive 2-0 (6-4, 3-2) win
over Turkiye’s Hatice Kubra Ilgun in
the repechage. It was a roller-coaster
of emotions, nerves and anticipation,
but one Park said she handled well.
“I have grown so much over the past
three years and worked so hard with
my team and my family to be able to
deal with that,” she said.
Earlier in the day, to open her
Olympic tournament, Park defeated
No. 13-ranked Dominika Hronova of
Czechia in two rounds (6-2, 4-3) in the
knockout stage.
Park’s medal is the first for a
Canadian in taekwondo since 2008,
when Karine Sergerie won silver in
the 67-kilogram event in Beijing. The
bronze pushed Team Canada’s overall
medal count to 21 Thursday.
“I’m so thankful for all of Canada.
We’ve truly felt the support while
we’ve been here,” Park said. “Even
after Tokyo (2020) when I fell short, I
still felt all the love and support, so I
think that gave me a lot of confidence
coming into this tournament, know-
ing that they have my back no matter
what, allowed me to fight my best and
fight free.”
Park said she planned to celebrate
the medal with her family on the
Champs-Elysees Thursday night.
Her dad was already planning the
next move for Team Park.
“It’s not done. We haven’t closed the
book,” he said. “This is just one notch
that we can actually add to motivate us
to even train harder and go further.
“I don’t know if we can dedicate our-
selves even more than what we have,
but we will surely try.”
fpcity@freepress.mb.ca
WEAPONS ● FROM A1
TEACHERS ● FROM A1
BRONZE ● FROM A1
SUPPLIED
Neigel Ryan Noel
MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS FILES
Police found Catcheway dead outside the Young Street residence, after officers were called to
the scene about a disturbance and assault at about 9 p.m. on May 4, 2022.
ADRIAN WYLD / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Skylar Park battles with Laetitia Aoun during the bronze medal match.
U.S., Egypt, Qatar urge Israel, Hamas
to restart Gaza ceasefire negotiations
T
HE leaders of the United States,
Qatar and Egypt issued a joint
statement Thursday evening call-
ing on Israel and Hamas to return to the
negotiating table on Aug. 15 to finalize
a ceasefire and hostage release agree-
ment, saying “there is no further time
to waste nor excuses from any party for
further delay.”
“The three of us and our teams have
worked tirelessly over many months to
forge a framework agreement that is
now on the table with only the details of
implementation left to conclude,” said
the statement, signed by President Joe
Biden, Egyptian President Abdel Fatah
El-Sisi and Qatari Emir Tamim bin Ha-
mad Al Thani.
“It is time to release the hostages,
begin the ceasefire and implement this
agreement,” the statement said.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin
Netanyahu’s office said in a statement
it will send a delegation to the resumed
negotiations, to be held in Cairo or
Doha, Qatar, “to finalize the details for
implementing the framework agree-
ment.” Hamas gave no immediate re-
sponse.
The new initiative came as Iran has
threatened a massive retaliation in re-
sponse to an Israeli airstrike near Bei-
rut last week that killed a senior leader
of Iranian-backed Hezbollah, quickly
followed by the killing of Hamas polit-
ical leader Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran.
Haniyeh was the main Hamas negoti-
ator in the ceasefire talks.
Since then, the United States has re-
iterated its pledge to defend Israel and
substantially reinforced its air and
naval assets in the region, including the
Middle East deployment early Thurs-
day of Air Force F-22 Raptors.
A senior administration official who
briefed reporters on the new ceasefire
initiative said it was “not tied to the lar-
ger picture” of the Iranian threat. “This
is about ‘we need to get this deal done.’”
But “if it influences them,” the offi-
cial said of Iran, “that’s fine. I would
say if they launch a major war in the
Middle East, with some massive attack
on Israel — which they’re threaten-
ing — that’s obviously going to signifi-
cantly jeopardize any hope of getting a
ceasefire in Gaza.”
The last round of indirect talks medi-
ated by the three governments ended
nearly two weeks ago in Rome, when
Israel presented new demands to the
“framework” that Biden made public on
May 31. Administration officials from
Biden on down were reportedly furious
at Netanyahu’s last-minute ultimatum,
as were senior Israeli military and pol-
itical leaders.
The three-leader statement ex-
pressed the same sense of urgency,
in nearly the same words, that the ad-
ministration has used over the past
few months as hopes rose and fell that
a ceasefire agreement was near. Both
the statement and the official briefing
implied that it was an ultimatum.
“As mediators, if necessary, we are
prepared to present a final bridging
proposal that resolves the remaining
implementation issues in a manner that
meets the expectations of all parties,”
the statement said. The senior official
provided no details about how a “final”
proposal by the mediators would be en-
forced.
The official, who spoke on the condi-
tion of anonymity under rules set by the
White House, added that “there needs
to be a way forward here. We have lives
on the line, particularly the hostages.”
— The Washington Post
KAREN DEYOUNG
;