Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 10, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Your present is
changing their
future.
You are transforming child health
care and research in Manitoba.
#GiveBetterFutures
DONATE TODAY AT:
goodbear.ca
W
HEN Beausejour Mayor Ray
Schirle had to go to an emer-
gency room last fall, he was
forced to seek help in a community
nearly 30 minutes down the road.
The ER at the town’s hospital was
closed that Sunday, meaning the near-
est site for Schirle or any resident in
medical distress was in Selkirk.
“Every minute counts when it comes
to people’s health, especially when it’s
an emergency,” he told the Free Press
Friday.
Schirle’s experience is a familiar
tale for residents of some rural and
northern communities that continue to
deal with temporary or indefinite ER
closures due to staff shortages.
“It’s not just Beausejour. It’s right
across Manitoba,” he said.
A Doctors Manitoba analysis showed
18 rural or northern hospitals are reli-
ably open 24-7 in August, 25 are open
part-time or experiencing frequent
gaps in coverage and 25 are closed
due to temporary or long-term suspen-
sions of service.
This month, Beausejour’s ER is open
eight days out of 31 — from 8 a.m. to
6 p.m. — with no coverage on week-
ends, according to a schedule on Inter-
lake-Eastern Regional Health Author-
ity’s website.
Schirle said it’s his understanding
the ER, which serves the community
of 3,000 people and a wider area in
eastern Manitoba, has less coverage
this summer than last.
“The safety and health of our
residents is being compromised,” he
said.
Manitoba Nurses Union president
Darlene Jackson said critical staff
shortages are driving ER closures in
smaller communities.
“Unfortunately, one of the worst
things coming out of this is the
residents don’t have access to health
care in their own communities and
they have to travel to get it,” she said.
Jackson said some understaffed
ERs are forced to close when employ-
ees, who are overworked, take “well-
deserved” vacations.
She predicted closures will continue
until staffing ranks are bolstered.
“The answer is we need more nurs-
es, which is not going to be a short-
term answer, because we have a finite
pool of nurses in this province,” said
Jackson.
Aside from waiting for new gradu-
ates to enter the public health-care
system, Manitoba must do everything
it can to retain the nurses it already
has, she added.
“They are our only resource until
we can bolster our nursing numbers,”
she said.
Jackson hopes the public system will
be able to bring back nurses who left
for private agencies or reluctantly re-
tired due to crises in health care.
MNU said recent data showed nurs-
ing vacancy rates of 34.4 per cent in
Northern Health Region and 31.6 per
cent in Interlake-Eastern. Rates for
Prairie Mountain Health and Southern
Health-Santé Sud were 29.4 per cent
and 26.2 per cent, respectively.
The ER at Carberry’s hospital re-
opened in May, after closing indefin-
itely last year. The province hired
three physicians to work on rotation.
One of the doctors, who travelled
from Ottawa to work two weeks every
month, has decided not to return for
personal reasons, said Carberry May-
or Ray Muirhead.
That left gaps in August, while Prai-
rie Mountain Health looks for a re-
placement, he said.
The ER is closed five days this
week, all next week and the last week
of the month, according to the region-
al health authority’s online schedule.
“We had to fill those gaps as best we
could,” said Muirhead. “It’s not just
the doctors. You need to have the lab
and nursing staff on site, too.”
Other than that, everything has been
going well since the ER reopened, he
said.
For the remainder of August, Hami-
ota’s ER is open just six days, but only
one of those days has 24-hour cover-
age.
“It really does show up quite a bit in
the summer, with staff taking holidays
and different things like that playing
into it,” Mayor Randy Lints said of the
closures.
Despite this month’s gaps, things
are looking up for the local health cen-
tre in the long-term, said Lints.
He said Prairie Mountain Health
provided an international medical
graduate in February and another doc-
tor is being recruited from the U.K.
Hamiota is one of a few south-
western communities to hire Winni-
peg-based firm Waterford Global to
recruit doctors, at a cost of more than
$100,000.
The health authority is covering
about half of the bill. Funds were also
provided by the Hamiota Health Cen-
tre Foundation.
The fact municipalities are getting
directly involved in recruiting efforts
is a major shift from the past, said
Lints.
“We’ve all got to work together to
get out of this hole,” he said.
The NDP government has set a tar-
get of hiring 1,000 health-care work-
ers, including 100 doctors and 210
nurses, this year. Health Minister
Uzoma Asagwara said the province
wants a “significant number” of those
employees to be in rural areas.
Asagwara met last week with mu-
nicipal councils, including Hamiota’s
leadership, to identify communities’
needs and potential solutions.
“We’ve been working really hard for
months directly with communities to
support them to be able to retain and
recruit health-care staff,” the minis-
ter said. “There’s no one-size-fits-all
(solution).”
The government recently expanded
the nurse float pool, which aims to
attract staff from private agencies.
It is also looking to boost the number
of health-care training seats in rural
areas.
Asagwara cautioned it will take
time to ease staff shortages.
Spokespeople for Prairie Mountain
Health and Southern Health-Santé
Sud said the regional authorities are
working with the province, commun-
ities and others to recruit and retain
staff.
“Emergency department services
are temporarily suspended at times
when the necessary complement of
health-care providers cannot be se-
cured to keep an ED safely open,” a
Prairie Mountain spokesperson wrote
in an email.
Northern Health Region said it has
not had any new closures of ERs this
year.
chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca
TOP NEWS
A3 SATURDAY AUGUST 10, 2024 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
INTERLAKE-EASTERN REGIONAL HEALTH AUTHORITY
Beausejour Health Centre’s emergency room will only be open for eight days out of 31 in August, with no coverage at night or on weekends.
FACEBOOK
Beausejour Mayor Ray Schirle had to travel
to Selkirk for emergency care last fall.
MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS FILES
Greg Nesbitt, PC MLA for Riding Mountain, says he hasn’t breached ethics guide-
lines and wasn’t aware of the contract in question, which was signed last year.
NDP accuses Tory of failing to disclose government contract
MANITOBA New Democrats are accus-
ing a member of the Progressive Conserv-
atives of violating ethics guidelines — a
charge the Tories say is false.
Mike Moyes, the NDP’s caucus chair, has
filed a complaint with the provincial ethics
commissioner.
He says Tory legislature member Greg
Nesbitt is a shareholder and officer in a
company that owns a hotel and conference
centre in Russell, which signed a $50,000
contract last December to rent space to the
government.
Nesbitt’s shares in the company are list-
ed in mandatory disclosure statements
filed with the ethics commissioner, but the
contract is not.
Nesbitt, who was first elected in 2016,
says he sold his shares in the hotel com-
pany in 2018 under an 11-year buyout that
is not yet complete.
He says he has had nothing to do with
workings at the Russell Inn and has con-
tinued to list the shares under the advice of
the ethics commissioner until the financial
transaction is finished.
“I talk with the ethics commissioner
every year on this. He obviously knew I
was involved with the Russell Inn back in
2016,” Nesbitt said Friday.
Nesbitt said he was not aware of the con-
tract signed last year and was told by the
ethics commissioner that he is not required
to reveal any contracts between the hotel
company and the government.
The accusation is the latest battle over
disclosure statements that all Manitoba
legislature members must file with the
commissioner.
In June, Nesbitt accused NDP cabinet
minister Ian Bushie of hiding the fact he
has a contract with the provincial govern-
ment.
Bushie is the sole proprietor of Grand-
pa George’s, a family-run gas station and
convenience store that was listed in April
as having received a government contract
worth up to $100,000.
Bushie said he did not disclose the con-
tract because he did not believe it was re-
quired.
He said the contract is to supply grocer-
ies and goods for wildfire crews and has
been renewed consistently since it was
first signed several years ago.
He also said that while the contract is
listed as worth up to $100,000, the actual
amount paid is very small as it depends on
fire activity and how much food and goods
are needed in any given year.
The ethics commissioner has not yet
ruled on that complaint.
— The Canadian Press
STEVE LAMBERT
Ethics commissioner hasn’t yet
ruled on pair of complaints
Amid continuing staff shortages, ‘safety and health of our residents being compromised’
CHRIS KITCHING
Rural communities struggle with ER closures
;