Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 12, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Donate Today
www.movementcentre.ca/support
TOP NEWS
A3 MONDAY AUGUST 12, 2024 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
Concerns mount over possible attempts by foreign powers to influence presidential race
Experts warn of efforts to disrupt U.S. election
A
NALYSTS and intelligence ex-
perts warned Sunday that wider
efforts may be underway by for-
eign powers to disrupt the U.S. presi-
dential election, after the Trump cam-
paign said it believed its email systems
had been breached by hackers working
for Iran.
So far, two Democratic House mem-
bers who have served on intelligence
and security committees have called
for briefings and for declassification of
information related to the possible for-
eign interference in the election.
The Trump campaign announcement
came after it received questions from
news organizations about an internal
vetting document on vice-presidential
candidate JD Vance that had been sent
to the outlets.
The Washington Post was sent on
Thursday the 271-page document,
marked as “privileged & confidential,”
from an anonymous AOL user going by
the name “Robert.” Politico, which was
the first to report on the Trump cam-
paign’s statement, said that it had been
receiving documents, including a vet-
ting document on Vance, from a sender
also going by the name “Robert” since
July 22.
The Trump campaign has pointed to
a report released Friday by Microsoft
in which the company said it had dis-
covered evidence that Iranian hackers
had tried to break into the email ac-
count of a “high-ranking official” on
a U.S. presidential campaign in June,
which was around the same time Vance
was selected as Trump’s running mate.
The company has declined to name
the campaign but a person familiar
with Microsoft’s work confirmed that
the report’s reference was to the Trump
campaign.
U.S. officials have not confirmed the
campaign was hacked and the cam-
paign did not provide evidence of the
breach or Iranian involvement.
Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.), a top
Democrat on the House Homeland
Security Committee’s cybersecurity
subcommittee, said that he was seek-
ing a briefing from the Department of
Homeland Security.
“Yes, Trump is the most despicable
person ever to seek office. He also
sought foreign hacking in a past elec-
tion. But that doesn’t mean America
ever tolerates foreign interference,” he
posted on X.
Former chair of the House Intelli-
gence Committee, Rep. Adam Schiff
(D-Calif.) urged officials to quickly de-
classify any information on the possible
foreign nature of the hack reported by
the campaign.
“In 2016, the Intelligence Commun-
ity moved much too slow to proper-
ly identity the hacking and dumping
scheme carried out by Russia to div-
ide Americans and benefit the Trump
campaign,” he posted on X. “The IC has
since made improvements, but should
act quickly here.”
He also called on both parties to con-
demn the reported hack.
“In 2016, the Trump campaign wel-
comed Russian interference, took ad-
vantage of it and then sought to deny it,
much to the detriment of the country,”
he said.
The Harris-Walz campaign has not
responded to multiple requests for com-
ment.
Since 2016, Democratic campaigns
and affiliated organizations have put
an emphasis on enhanced security
protocols and heavily invested to shore
up systems to guard against hacks and
other cybersecurity threats.
Donald Trump, the Republican nom-
inee for president, said on his social
media platform Truth Social that his
campaign was informed by Microsoft
that one of their websites was hacked
by the Iranian government. He also
claimed that only publicly available in-
formation was taken.
“We were just informed by Microsoft
Corporation that one of our many web-
sites was hacked by the Iranian Gov-
ernment — Never a nice thing to do!”
he posted on Saturday.
“They were only able to get publicly
available information but, neverthe-
less, they shouldn’t be doing anything
of this nature. Iran and others will stop
at nothing, because our Government is
Weak and Ineffective, but it won’t be for
long.”
Microsoft and other security com-
panies say that an Iranian group behind
the June attack on a presidential cam-
paign is run by the Iranian Revolution-
ary Guard Corps.
Microsoft did not confirm the Trump
campaign was the target but the tech
giant said on Friday that Iranian hack-
ers took over a former adviser’s email
account and sent a phishing message
with a malicious link to a senior official
still inside the campaign.
The Iranian hacking group used the
same technique in 2021 against the
press secretary for a U.S. official, ac-
cording to email security provider
Proofpoint. But the group also has cus-
tom malware that can be used in more
subtle attacks.
Proofpoint researcher Joshua Mil-
ler said that the Iranian group is very
actively targeting U.S. politicians and
campaign staff. He said multiple Iran-
ian groups impersonate journalists to
approach targets.
The document that was sent to The
Post was an internal campaign write-
up of Vance’s potential political vulner-
abilities, dated Feb. 23, that had been
commissioned by the campaign from
the law firm Brand Woodward. While
it drew from public records and news
clips, the vetting report itself was an in-
ternal document not previously public.
On Saturday, a spokesperson for the
National Security Council said the
Biden administration “strongly con-
demns any foreign government or en-
tity who attempts to interfere in our
electoral process or seeks to undermine
confidence in our democratic institu-
tions.”
The FBI said in a statement on Sat-
urday that the agency was aware of the
media reports and had no comment.
The news of the hack broke during
Def Con, the annual hacking and secur-
ity conference that draws tens of thou-
sands to Las Vegas in summer. Many
of the attendees interviewed expressed
dread at what might lie ahead.
They speculated that if Iranian hack-
ers were involved, they may have taken
more files than what news organiza-
tions have reported, with plans to drib-
ble out other material to mainstream or
less reputable news sites, including the
surging number filled mainly with pla-
giarized content from elsewhere.
“‘Pink slime’ and fake sites are in
their repertoire, so it’s possible that
information gets posted in other fora
if U.S. media outlets hold back,” Chris
Krebs, the founding head of the Cyber-
security and Infrastructure Security
Agency, which dealt with misinforma-
tion about the 2020 election, said in an
interview with The Post. “It’s possible
they do both.”
Earlier, Krebs wrote a post on X
speculating that actors may be trying
to repeat what happened during the
2016 campaign, when U.S. intelligence
concluded that Russia interfered in the
election by hacking and leaking inter-
nal Democratic documents. “Someone
is running the 2016 playbook, expect
continued efforts to stoke fires in so-
ciety and go after election systems —
95 per cent votes on paper ballots is a
strong resilience measure, combined
with audits. But the chaos is the point,”
he wrote.
Some experts in email security said
publicly available email exchange re-
cords indicate the campaign staff’s
email accounts weren’t well protected.
As one indicator, it had not enabled a
common system called DMARC, which
would confirm that an email sender
from a Trump address was actually
part of the campaign.
While Iranian cyber operations have
become more sophisticated and aggres-
sive since the 2020 election cycle, for-
mer U.S. officials said they pale next to
Russia, which might have also breached
one or more campaigns by now.
Most professionals said they expect
more hacks and leaks as the election
draws closer, with the big unknown be-
ing how the public and media react to
minor nuggets.
“Unfortunately, this isn’t the ‘new
normal.’ It’s just normal,” said Jake
Braun, who recently left the White
House after serving as acting principal
deputy national cyber director.
A spate of recent government and
industry reports have pointed to in-
creased propaganda about the election
from Russia as well as Iran and chan-
nels that are used to push political
viewpoints can be used to spread data
from hacks.
— The Washington Post
ABBIE CHEESEMAN
Harris backs ending taxes on tips, weeks after Trump made similar pledge
U.S. Vice-President Kamala Harris is
echoing an idea first proposed by her
opponent, Donald Trump, by pledging
that she would push to eliminate taxes
on tips.
“When I am president, we will con-
tinue our fight for working families of
America, including to raise the min-
imum wage and eliminate taxes on tips
for service and hospitality workers,”
Harris said during a campaign rally
Saturday at the University of Nevada at
Las Vegas.
It was the last stop for Harris and her
running mate on the Democratic ticket,
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, as they
toured swing states, including Nevada,
where the service industry is a major
employer. Leisure and hospitality is the
main industry in the Las Vegas metro-
politan area, accounting for over a
quarter of total employment in January
2023, according to the Nevada Office of
Workforce Innovation.
Many service workers were enthusi-
astic when Trump made a similar pro-
posal at a rally in the same city two
months ago. “For those hotel workers
and people that get tips, you’re going to
be very happy. Because when I get to
office, we are going to not charge taxes
on tips,” Trump said.
After Harris’s announcement,
Trump said in a post on his social
media platform that Harris “copied
my NO TAXES ON TIPS Policy,” add-
ing that “She has no ideas, she can only
steal from me.”
The idea of scrapping taxes on tips
for some workers is not new and unions
representing service and hospitality
workers have been pushing for it for
years. Still, some of those unions ex-
pressed skepticism that Trump would
be able to implement the idea when he
proposed it. Ted Pappageorge, secre-
tary-treasurer for Culinary Workers
Union Local 226 — which endorsed
Harris and Walz ahead of Saturday’s
event — previously said the Culinary
Union has “fought for tipped workers’
rights and against unfair taxation” for
decades.
“Relief is definitely needed for tip
earners, but Nevada workers are smart
enough to know the difference between
real solutions and wild campaign prom-
ises from a convicted felon,” Pappa-
george said in a statement, referring to
Trump’s New York conviction on char-
ges related to a hush money payment.
The hospitality workers union Unite
Here, which also endorsed Harris,
likewise downplayed Trump’s pledge.
Union President Gwen Mills told The
Associated Press that Trump was
“making a play” for votes.
As The Washington Post has re-
ported, under current law, all gratuities
that workers receive must be taxed at
the same rate as their regular income
and many employers report their work-
ers’ tips to the Internal Revenue Ser-
vice — but much is paid in cash and
never reported. More than 6 million
workers had tips reported to the IRS
in 2018, the most recent year for which
complete data is available.
Tips are crucial for many hospital-
ity and service workers. The federal
government and many states allow
employers to pay tipped workers well
below the normal minimum wage,
provided they make up the difference
to ensure each worker earns at least
the standard federal minimum wage
of $7.25 an hour. When President Joe
Biden was still running for reelection,
he called for eliminating the lower
tipped minimum wage and increasing
the minimum wage for all workers.
— The Washington Post
ANNABELLE TIMSIT
RICK BOWMER / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILES
Donald Trump said on his social media platform Truth Social that his campaign was informed by Microsoft that one of their websites was
hacked by the Iranian government. He claimed that only publicly available information was taken.
;