Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - August 13, 2024, Winnipeg, Manitoba
A2
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
NEWS
TUESDAY, AUGUST 13, 2024
VOL 153 NO 230
Winnipeg Free Press est 1872 / Winnipeg Tribune est 1890
2024 Winnipeg Free Press,
a division of FP Canadian Newspapers Limited Partnership.
Published six days a week in print and always online
at 1355 Mountain Avenue,
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R2X 3B6, PH: 204-697-7000
CEO / MIKE POWER
Editor / PAUL SAMYN
Associate Editor Enterprise / SCOTT GIBBONS
Associate Editor News / STACEY THIDRICKSON
Associate Editor Digital News / WENDY SAWATZKY
Director Photo and Multimedia / MIKE APORIUS
NEWSMEDIA COUNCIL
The Winnipeg Free Press is a member of the National
Newsmedia Council, which is an independent organization established
to determine acceptable journalistic practices and ethical behaviour. If
you have concerns about editorial content, please send them to:
editorialconcerns@freepress.mb.ca.
If you are not satisfied with the response and wish to file a formal
complaint, visit the website at www.mediacouncil.ca and fill out the
form or call toll-free 1-844-877-1163 for additional information.
ADVERTISING
Classified (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7100
wfpclass@freepress.mb.ca
Obituaries (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7384
Display Advertising : 204-697-7122
FP.Advertising@freepress.mb.ca
EDITORIAL
Newsroom/tips: 204-697-7292
Fax: 204-697-7412
Photo desk: 204-697-7304
Sports desk: 204-697-7285
Business news: 204-697-7292
Photo REPRINTS:
libraryservices@winnipegfreepress.com
City desk / City.desk@freepress.mb.ca
CANADA POST SALES AGREEMENT NO. 0563595
Recycled newsprint is used in the
production of the newspaper.
PLEASE RECYCLE.
INSIDE
Around Town C8
Arts and Life C1
Business B5
Classifieds D7
Comics C5
Diversions C6-7
Horoscope C4
Miss Lonelyhearts C4
Obituaries D6
Opinion A6-7
Sports D1
Television C4
Weather B8
COLUMNISTS:
Dan Lett A4
Rochelle Squires A7
Gwynne Dyer A7
READER SERVICE ● GENERAL INQUIRIES 204-697-7000
CIRCULATION INQUIRIES
MISSING OR INCOMPLETE PAPER?
Call or email before 10 a.m. weekdays
or 11 a.m. Saturday
City: 204-697-7001
Outside Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900 press 1
6:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday-Friday.;
7 a.m. - noon Saturday; Closed Sunday
TO SUBSCRIBE: 204-697-7001
Out of Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900
The Free Press receives support from
the Local Journalism Initiative funded
by the Government of Canada
He said he knows he’s not the only building
owner waiting — he said Imrie Demolition, the
contractor tasked with his permit, has more
than 40 others sitting in limbo that the city has
delayed or stalled on.
“I emailed them on Saturday or Sunday, I said,
‘Can we expedite this one?’ Because obviously
somebody’s got an in for that place, to have
(four) fires in four months, that just doesn’t
make sense,” he said.
A manager at Imrie Demolition confirmed the
firm has been waiting on the permit since May
but declined to comment further.
City of Winnipeg communications officer
Kalen Qually said every vacant building dam-
aged by fire is a unique situation.
“When looking at the demolition of a vacant
building that’s been damaged by a fire, time-
lines can vary a great deal depending on a num-
ber of factors and on the actions of the property
owner,” he said in an email.
While Qually did not refer to 362 Manitoba
Ave. directly, he said factors include proper
submission of the demolition application, co-or-
dinating the demolition with all utilities and
ensuring taxes owed on the property are paid.
The landlord owns several properties in the
North End. He previously owned a building on
College Avenue but it burned down about three
years ago. He said any kind of preventative
measure implemented by the city could make a
difference.
“At least put up a fence around it,” he said.
“That could be a start, all the buildings that are
slated for demolition, at least put up a high fence
around it.”
Ten days before the March 27 fire, a man was
found shot in the building and later died in hos-
pital. A Winnipeg man was later arrested and
charged with first-degree murder.
The landlord said his building is part of a
long line of systemic failures in Winnipeg that
weren’t as prominent when he began developing
properties in 1991.
“Now, it’s worse than it’s ever been,” he said.
Vacant building fires have become a burning
issue in Winnipeg, particularly in the city’s
core. The union representing city firefighters
has said spikes in vacant building blazes have
stretched resources thin and left psychological
tolls on its members. Nearby residents have told
the Free Press in the past the lots are dangerous
eyesores that attract violence and gang activity.
City council has turned its focus to streamlin-
ing the process to take over derelict properties,
including approving land acquisition programs
to speed up the transfer of lots from owners
looking to offload their properties to the city.
Council has also proposed permitting lots to
be sold for as little as $1 to non-profit housing
providers.
A motion passed in July will require stricter
standards for boarding up homes.
“This property that has now had four fires is
one of the very reasons we’re taking this issue
very, very seriously and it’s a priority for myself
and council as well,” Mayor Scott Gillingham
said at an unrelated news conference Monday.
Gillingham said he would discuss how the
city could provide support to the owner of 362
Manitoba Ave. with his staff this week.
As of July, there were 695 properties moni-
tored by the city through its vacant buildings
bylaw.
The William Whyte Neighbourhood Asso-
ciation recently counted at least 42 burnt-out
buildings in the area.
President Darrell Warren said he’s waiting
for government to commit dollars to cleaning up
the persistent problem.
“We’re working right now with the city, the
province and the feds to go ahead and come up
with money, because, unfortunately, demolition
is a very costly process,” he said.
Warren said he wants to see the damaged,
boarded-up homes replaced with affordable
infill housing.
“There’s a lot of good people in the neighbour-
hood, in the William Whyte area. Unfortunately,
we’re going through a bad spell right now,” he
said.
“Once we can turn that around and get some
houses on the lots, get families in there, it’s a
win-win.”
malak.abas@freepress.mb.ca
Human-rights
commissioner
resigns after
probe into
Israel comments
OTTAWA — The recently appointed chief commission-
er of the Canadian Human Rights Commission agreed
to resign Monday after an investigation into his past
comments related to Israel.
The justice minister launched an external investiga-
tion after Canadian Jewish organizations raised con-
cerns about Birju Dattani’s past activities, including
allegations of anti-Israel comments.
The law firm that conducted the investigation did not
find any indication that Dattani harboured or harbours
antisemitic beliefs, or any evidence that he has uncon-
scious or conscious biases toward Jews or Israelis.
“In reviewing Mr. Dattani’s scholarly work, he has
criticized Israel and, in particular, its treatment of Pal-
estinians,” the law firm concluded in its report, which
was shared publicly Monday.
However, the investigation found he “deliberate-
ly de-emphasized” those criticisms when he was
questioned about them.
“To be clear, it is our view that his involvement in
advocacy and criticism does not necessarily result in
the inference that Mr. Dattani could not perform the
role of chief commissioner,” the report stated.
“However, Mr. Dattani’s efforts to downplay the
critical nature of his work was concerning and, cer-
tainly, his failure to directly disclose this work de-
prived the government of the opportunity to have a
discussion with Mr. Dattani about what, if any, impact
his scholarship and perspective would or could have if
he were appointed to the role of chief commissioner.”
The lengthy report detailed 14 allegations levied
against Dattani, including comments he made on social
media and elsewhere under the name Mujahid Dattani
dating back more than 10 years.
The investigating firm found that his explanation for
not including the name Mujahid Dattani on his applica-
tion and background check “lacks credibility.”
Instead, he provided the name Birju Mujahid Dat-
tani, despite appearing on several panels and on social
media using only the name Mujahid Dattani.
“On a balance of probabilities and based on the total-
ity of evidence, we find that Mr. Dattani intentionally
omitted the reference to ‘Mujahid Dattani’ on the back-
ground check consent form (and elsewhere) and at no
time in the application or interview process disclosed
that, in the past, he had used the name ‘Mujahid Dat-
tani,’” the investigative report states.
After receiving the findings, Justice Minister Arif
Virani told Dattani in a letter on July 31 that the results
of the investigation raised serious concerns about his
candour during the appointment process.
Dattani, the first Muslim and racialized person to be
appointed to the role, was due to start last Thursday but
agreed to take a leave while Virani considered how he
should respond.
“The findings speak for themselves,” Virani said in a
statement Monday.
“I have accepted Mr. Dattani’s decision to step down
as chief commissioner. As I have said, maintaining the
confidence of all Canadians in the Canadian Human
Rights Commission remains my top priority.”
In a letter to the minister, Dattani denied that his fail-
ure to disclose the name Mujahid was intentional.
He said he adopted the middle name in early 2001
when he became Muslim but was only asked for his
given name on the application.
He told the minister a cursory Google search of any
of the names he provided would have provided all the
information about Mujahid Dattani within seconds.
Even the mild insinuation that he provided both his
first and adopted middle name in an attempt to hide
something is “gross overreach and simply false,” he
wrote to the minister on Aug. 1.
He said his initial interview for the job happened in
June 2022, well before the significant rise in antisem-
itism that followed the Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel,
and that it’s unreasonable to suggest he should have
highlighted his academic work on the subject of Israel
“as a result of concerns that were not foreseeable” at
the time.
“I remain a steadfast believer in the commission’s
work, mandate and its importance to our democracy,”
Dattani said in a statement Monday.
Conservative deputy leader Melissa Lantsman wel-
comed the news of his resignation but called it overdue.
“Dattani’s past writings were easily discoverable
with a simple Google search,” Lantsman said in a post
on X.
“Either the political staff in the Trudeau government
failed to do such a rudimentary search, or they found
that material and viewed the comments as not prob-
lematic.”
She called for a “full, free, and fair investigation”
into how the appointment happened in the first place.
The process to appoint a new chief commissioner will
begin “as soon as possible,” Virani said in a statement
— The Canadian Press
LAURA OSMAN
FIRE ● FROM A1
NIC ADAM / FREE PRESS
The William Whyte Neighbourhood Association counted at least 42 burnt-out buildings in the area.
Ukrainian forces controlling front line of
advance into Russia’s Kursk region: top general
KYIV, Ukraine — Ukraine’s top military com-
mander said his forces now control 1,000 square
kilometres of Russia’s neighbouring Kursk re-
gion, the first time a Ukrainian military official
has publicly commented on the gains of the light-
ning incursion that has embarrassed the Krem-
lin.
Gen. Oleksandr Syrskyi made the statement in
a video posted Monday to Ukrainian President
Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s Telegram channel. In
the video, he briefed the president on the front-
line situation.
“The troops are fulfilling their tasks. Fighting
continues actually along the entire front line.
The situation is under our control,” Syrskyi said.
Russian forces are still scrambling to respond
to the surprise Ukrainian attack after almost a
week of fierce fighting.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said the
incursion, which has caused more than 100,000
civilians to flee, is an attempt by Kyiv to stop
Moscow’s offensive in eastern Ukraine’s Donbas
region and gain leverage in possible future peace
talks.
Zelenskyy confirmed for the first time that the
Ukrainian military is operating inside the Kursk
region. On Telegram, he praised his country’s
soldiers and commanders “for their steadfast-
ness and decisive actions.” He did not elaborate.
Speaking Monday at a meeting with top sec-
urity and defence officials, Putin said the attack
that began Aug. 6 appeared to reflect Kyiv’s at-
tempt to achieve a better negotiating position in
possible future talks to end the war. He insisted
Moscow’s army would prevail.
Putin said Ukraine may have hoped that the at-
tack would cause public unrest in Russia but that
it has failed to achieve that goal and he claimed
that the number of volunteers to join the Russian
military has increased because of the assault. He
said Russian forces will carry on with their of-
fensive in eastern Ukraine regardless.
“It’s obvious that the enemy will keep trying
to destabilize the situation in the border zone to
try to destabilize the domestic political situation
in our country,” Putin said. Russia’s main task is
“to squeeze out, drive the enemy out of our ter-
ritories and, together with the border service, to
ensure reliable cover of the state border.”
Acting Kursk Gov. Alexei Smirnov reported to
Putin that Ukrainian forces had pushed 12 kms
into the Kursk region across a 40-km front and
currently control 28 Russian settlements.
Smirnov said 12 civilians have been killed
and 121 others, including 10 children, have been
wounded in the operation. The area has been
evacuated of about 121,000 people who left the
areas affected by fighting, he said.
Tracking down all the Ukrainian units that
are roaming the region and creating diversions
is difficult, Smirnov said, noting that some are
using fake Russian IDs.
The governor of the Belgorod region adja-
cent to Kursk also announced the evacuation of
people from a district near the Ukrainian border.
Ukrainian forces swiftly rolled into the town of
Sudzha about 10 kilometres over the border after
launching the attack. They reportedly still hold
the western part of the town, which is the site of
an important natural gas station.
The Ukrainian operation is under tight se-
crecy and its goals remain unclear. The stunning
manoeuvre that caught the Kremlin’s forces off
guard counters Russia’s unrelenting effort in
recent months to punch through Ukrainian de-
fenses at selected points along the front line in
eastern Ukraine.
Zelenskyy said the territory now controlled by
Ukrainian forces was used to strike Ukraine’s
Sumy region many times, adding that it is “ab-
solutely fair to destroy Russian terrorists where
they are.”
“Russia brought war to others. Now it is com-
ing home,” he said in a video posted on his Tele-
gram channel.
Russia has seen previous incursions into its
territory during the nearly two-and-a-half year
war but the foray into the Kursk region marked
the largest attack on its soil since the Second
World War, constituting a milestone in the hostil-
ities. It is also the first time the Ukrainian army
has spearheaded an incursion rather than pro-
Ukraine Russian fighters.
The advance delivered a blow to Putin’s efforts
to pretend that life in Russia has been largely
unaffected by the war. State propaganda tried
to play down the attack, emphasizing the author-
ities’ efforts to help residents of the region and
seeking to distract attention from the military’s
failure to prepare for the attack and quickly
repel it.
— The Associated Press
SAMYA KULLAB
;