Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - January 6, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Capturing the
moments of
your Manitoba
Choose from 150 years of
Free Press archived photos.
M
A
K
E
S
A
N
I
D
E
A
L
G
I
F
T
winnipegfreepress.com/
photostore
SERVING MANITOBA SINCE 1872. FOREVER WITH YOUR SUPPORT.
MONDAY, JANUARY 6, 2025
WEATHER
SCATTERED FLURRIES. HIGH -18 — LOW -24
CITY
CITY EYES SPEED LIMITS FOR E-BIKES, SCOOTERS / B1
Man who drove truck into crowd, killing 14, previously recorded video of French Quarter with Meta smart glasses
New Orleans attacker once visited Canada
N
EW ORLEANS — The man
responsible for the truck attack
in New Orleans on New Year’s
Day that killed 14 people visited the
city twice before and recorded video
of the French Quarter with Meta smart
glasses, an FBI official said Sunday.
Shamsud-Din Jabbar also travelled
to Cairo and Canada before the attack
although it was not yet clear whether
those trips were connected to the at-
tack, Deputy Assistant Director Chris-
topher Raia said at a news conference.
Federal officials believe Jabbar, a U.S.
citizen and former U.S. Army soldier,
was inspired by the Islamic State mili-
tant group to carry out the attack.
Police fatally shot Jabbar, 42, during
an exchange of gunfire at the scene of
the deadly crash of the rented pick-
up truck on Bourbon Street, famous
worldwide for its festive vibes in New
Orleans’ historic French Quarter.
Canadian Public Safety Minister Da-
vid McGuinty said the Canada Border
Services Agency has confirmed that
the man behind the deadly truck attack
on Bourbon Street in New Orleans
travelled to Ontario in July 2023.
A statement from McGuinty on Sun-
day said Canada’s border agency con-
firmed that Jabbar travelled to Canada
from Houston, Texas, for four days
before returning to the U.S in 2023.
McGuinty said Sunday that he en-
courages “anyone who may have come
into contact with the attacker and who
may have information pertinent to the
FBI’s investigation to reach out to the
appropriate law enforcement authori-
ties.”
“Canadian authorities will continue
to work with their American counter-
parts, including the FBI, as they pur-
sue their investigation,” McGuinty’s
statement said.
The RCMP, the Ontario Provincial
Police and the Canadian Security In-
telligence Service did not immediately
respond to requests for comment about
Jabbar’s 2023 travels to Canada.
U.S. federal investigators so far
believe Jabbar acted alone, but are
continuing to explore his contacts.
“All investigative details and evi-
dence that we have now still support
that Jabbar acted alone here in New
Orleans,” said Raia. “We have not seen
any indications of an accomplice in the
United States, but we are still looking
into potential associates in the U.S. and
outside of our borders.”
Lyonel Myrthil, FBI special agent
in charge of the New Orleans Field
Office, said Jabbar was in Cairo, Egypt
for about two weeks in late June and
early July 2023, and flew to Ontario on
July 10 before returning to the U.S. on
July 13.
Second blaze hits Morden golf clubhouse
A golf clubhouse in the Pembina Valley
has been ravaged by fire, days after
it celebrated its grand reopening fol-
lowing a blaze that razed the building
about three years ago.
The Minnewasta Golf and Country
Club, a treasured attraction near the
town of Morden, caught fire for the
second time shortly before 2 a.m. on
Sunday, Chief Andy Thiessen of Mor-
den Fire and Rescue said.
The blaze caused significant damage
to the clubhouse, restaurant and ban-
quet facility, which officially opened
to the public last weekend. Thiessen
said it appears the fire started in the
kitchen area.
“The news from the golf course is
truly devastating. Especially heart-
breaking because we had just celebrat-
ed the ribbon cutting on New Year’s
Eve,” Morden Mayor Nancy Penner
said.
“We celebrated at midnight with fire
works. I couldn’t have asked for a more
beautiful evening and now, five days
later, we are back to square one.”
Firefighters from Morden, Winkler
and Plum Coulee battled the blaze
overnight, as temperatures plummet-
ed as low as -28 C before warming
throughout the day. No injuries were
reported, Thiessen said.
Crews remained on scene Sunday
afternoon, and Thiessen expected they
would continue to monitor for flareups
and hot spots into the early evening.
“Ironically, the cold weather is
helping us in that regard, but it was
also a deterrent while we were actually
fighting the fire,” he said.
Thiessen could not provide exact fig-
ures, but estimated losses could total
up to $6 million.
He credited the fire crews for work-
ing quickly to contain the blaze.
“I have the utmost respect for them.
They did the best they could, and un-
der the conditions, they went over and
above,” he said. “We were able to save
a fair bit (of the building)… it’s not a
total loss this time.”
The building, located about a
five-minute drive southwest of Mor-
den’s town centre, was destroyed in a
blaze in November 2021.
The cause of that fire was later
linked to a malfunctioning electrical
box. Community members rallied
together to raise funds and build the
facility anew, Thiessen said.
TYLER SEARLE
JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS
HAVING A BALL
Harlem Globetrotters’ Speedy Artis dribbles the basketball past the opposition Washington Generals at Canada Life Centre Sunday.
The world-famous Globetrotters dazzled the Winnipeg crowd with their spins, slams, dunks and trick plays.
JACK BROOK, STEPHEN SMITH
AND SARA CLINE
● NEW ORLEANS, CONTINUED ON A2
● CLUBHOUSE, CONTINUED ON A2
Trudeau set
to step down
as leader,
Globe reports
OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail is
reporting that Prime Minister Justin
Trudeau is expected to announce he is
stepping down as Liberal party leader
as early as today.
Trudeau has faced mounting calls
for his resignation from MPs in his
caucus as public opinion polls have
continued to put the governing Liber-
als trailing far behind the Conserva-
tives.
The Globe report says three sources,
who weren’t authorized to speak about
the matter publicly, did not know a
specific timeline but they expected
Trudeau would announce his plans
before a national caucus meeting
scheduled for Wednesday.
The Canadian Press has not inde-
pendently confirmed the Globe report.
Trudeau’s itinerary says he is set to
take part in a cabinet committee on
Canada-U.S. relations today. It’s not
clear if Trudeau will stay on as prime
minister or if an interim leader would
be selected through a Liberal leader-
ship race if he decides to step down.
Last week, Winnipeg South Centre
MP Ben Carr became the first Man-
itoba Liberal MP to publicly call for
Trudeau to step down as his party’s
leader.
“I do not arrive at this decision easi-
ly, nor do I make it happily,” Carr said
Friday in a statement first provided to
the Free Press.
“I made a commitment to act with
the utmost integrity in every action
I undertake.… It means to be hon-
est, open and to make decisions with
conviction and only after thorough and
thoughtful reflection. It is with those
principles in mind that today I call for
a change in the leadership of the Liber-
al Party of Canada.”
Carr said he came to the decision
after “daily conversations with constit-
uents, supporters, mentors, friends and
colleagues over a prolonged period, out
of which has emerged a clear belief
that it is time for change.”
“I felt somehow as though I would
be betraying my party, leader and
colleagues. As time has passed howev-
er, and the further I reflected on the
conversations … I concluded that it is
in fact the opposite which is true,” he
said.
“What I have heard consistently
from the people I represent, is that
they are not feeling alienated by pro-
gressive values and policies, but rather
by our leadership.”
— The Canadian Press, with Free Press files
;