Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - January 8, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
B4
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
NEWS I WORLD
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 8, 2025
‘Humility, modesty and grace’
Jimmy Carter eulogized by Kamala Harris, congressional leaders at U.S. Capitol
W
ASHINGTON — Nearly 44
years after Jimmy Carter left
the nation’s capital in humbling
defeat, the 39th president returned to
Washington for three days of state fu-
neral rites starting Tuesday.
Carter’s remains, which had been
lying in repose at the Carter Presi-
dential Center since Saturday, left the
Atlanta campus Tuesday morning,
accompanied by his children and ex-
tended family.
Special Air Mission 39 departed Dob-
bins Air Reserve Base north of Atlan-
ta and arrived at Joint Base Andrews
in Maryland. A motorcade carried the
casket into Washington for a final jour-
ney to the Capitol, where members of
Congress will pay their respects.
In Georgia, eight military pallbear-
ers held Carter’s casket as cannons
fired on the tarmac nearby. They car-
ried it to a vehicle that lifted it to the
passenger compartment of the aircraft,
the iconic blue and white Boeing 747
variant that is known as Air Force One
when the sitting president is on board.
Carter never travelled as president on
the jet, which first flew as Air Force
One in 1990 with president George H.W.
Bush.
The scene repeated outside Washing-
ton. The former president’s casket was
removed from the plane, cannons fired
and a military band played. A hearse
emblazoned with the seal of the presi-
dent joined a motorcade that steered
toward Washington.
A bipartisan delegation of members
of Congress were led into the Capitol
Rotunda by Sens. Raphael Warnock and
Jon Ossoff, Democrats who represent
Carter’s home state.
Vice-President Kamala Harris, mem-
bers of President Joe Biden’s cabinet
and three of the nine U.S. Supreme
Court justices — John Roberts, Brett
Kavanaugh and Elena Kagan — also
were present.
The U.S. Army Band Brass Quintet
played as people awaited the casket.
The room fell silent as three knocks
on the rotunda door marked Carter’s
arrival. The casket was placed in the
middle of the room on the Lincoln
catafalque, a platform built in 1865 to
hold slain president Abraham Lincoln’s
casket in the same place.
Harris, Senate Majority Leader John
Thune and House Speaker Mike John-
son delivered eulogies celebrating
Carter’s faith, military service and de-
votion to service, including his hands-
on contributions to building homes for
those in need through Habitat for Hu-
manity.
“Jimmy Carter was that all too rare
example of a gifted man who also walks
with humility, modesty and grace,”
Harris said, recalling his unpretentious
approach to campaigning.
He slept in the homes of his support-
ers to “share a meal with them at their
table and listen to what was on their
minds,” she said.
The U.S. Naval Academy Glee Club
performed the patriotic hymn My
Country, ‘Tis of Thee before bipartisan
congressional leaders and Harris, ac-
companied by her husband Doug Em-
hoff, placed wreaths beside the casket.
Members of Carter’s family, including
some of his grandchildren, wiped tears.
Carter, who died Dec. 29 at the age
of 100, will lie in state Tuesday night
and again Wednesday. He receives a
state funeral Thursday at Washington
National Cathedral. Biden will deliver
a eulogy.
There are the familiar rituals that
follow a president’s death — the Air
Force ride back to the Beltway, a mil-
itary honour guard carrying a flag-
draped casket up the Capitol steps, the
Lincoln catafalque in the rotunda.
There also will be symbolism unique
to Carter. As he was carried from his
presidential centre, a military band
played hymns — Amazing Grace and
Blessed Assurance for the outspoken
Baptist evangelical who called him-
self a “born-again Christian” when he
sought and won the presidency in 1976.
In Washington, his hearse stopped
at the U.S. Navy Memorial, where his
remains were transferred to a horse-
drawn caisson for the rest of his trip to
the Capitol. The location nods to Cart-
er’s place as the lone U.S. Naval Acad-
emy graduate to become command-
er-in-chief.
All of the pomp carries some irony
for the Democrat who went from his
family peanut warehouse to the Gov-
ernor’s Mansion and eventually the
White House. Carter won the presi-
dency as the smiling Southerner and
technocratic engineer who promised
to change the ways of Washington —
and eschewed many of those unwritten
rules when he got there.
From 1977 to 1981, Carter was Wash-
ington’s highest-ranking resident. But
he never mastered it.
“He could be prickly and a not very
appealing personality” in a town that
thrives on relationships, said biograph-
er Jonathan Alter, describing a presi-
dent who struggled with schmoozing
lawmakers and reporters.
Carter often flouted the ceremonial
trappings that have been on display in
Georgia and will continue in Washing-
ton.
As president, he wanted to keep the
Marine Band from playing Hail to the
Chief, thinking it elevated the presi-
dent too much. His advisers convinced
him to accept it as part of the job. The
song played Saturday as he arrived at
his presidential centre after a motor-
cade through his hometown of Plains
and past his boyhood farm. It played
again as his remains were carried out
on their way to Washington.
He also never used his full name,
James Earl Carter Jr., even taking
the oath of office. His full name was
printed on memorial cards given to all
mourners who paid their respects in
Atlanta.
He once addressed the nation from
the White House residence wearing
a cardigan, now on display at his mu-
seum and library. His remains now
rest in a wooden casket being carried
and guarded by military pallbearers in
their impeccable dress uniforms.
As Carter’s remains left Georgia,
president-elect Donald Trump criti-
cized the late former president during
a news conference in Florida for ceding
control of the Panama Canal to its home
country.
Pressed on if criticism of Carter was
appropriate during the solemn funeral
rites, Trump responded, “I liked him as
a man. I disagreed with his policies. He
thought giving away the Panama Canal
was a good thing.”
“I didn’t want to bring up the Pan-
ama Canal because of Jimmy Carter’s
death,” he added, even though he had
first mentioned it unprompted.
— The Associated Press
BILL BARROW, JONATHAN J. COOPER
AND FARNOUSH AMIRI
SHAWN THEW / POOL VIA AP
The casket of former U.S. president Jimmy Carter arrives on a horse-drawn caisson at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, Tuesday.
Man who exploded Tesla Cybertruck used generative AI, police say
LAS VEGAS — The highly decorated
soldier who exploded a Tesla Cyber-
truck outside the Trump hotel in Las
Vegas used generative AI including
ChatGPT to help plan the attack, Las
Vegas police said Tuesday.
Nearly a week after 37-year-old Mat-
thew Livelsberger fatally shot himself,
officials said according to writings, he
didn’t intend to kill anyone else.
An investigation of Livelsberger’s
searches through ChatGPT indicate he
was looking for information on explo-
sive targets, the speed at which certain
rounds of ammunition would travel and
whether fireworks were legal in Ari-
zona.
Kevin McMahill, sheriff of the Las
Vegas Metropolitan Police Depart-
ment, called the use of generative AI
a “game-changer” and said the depart-
ment was sharing information with
other law enforcement agencies.
“This is the first incident that I’m
aware of on U.S. soil where ChatGPT
is utilized to help an individual build a
particular device,” he said. “It’s a con-
cerning moment.”
In an emailed statement, OpenAI
said it was committed to seeing its tools
used “responsibly” and that they’re de-
signed to refuse harmful instructions.
“In this case, ChatGPT responded
with information already publicly
available on the internet and provided
warnings against harmful or illegal
activities. We’re working with law en-
forcement to support their investiga-
tion,” the emailed statement said.
Launched in 2022, ChatGPT is part of
a broader set of technologies developed
by the San Francisco-based startup
OpenAI. Unlike previous iterations of
so-called “large language models,” the
ChatGPT tool is available for free to
anyone with an internet connection and
designed to be more user-friendly.
During a roughly half-hour-long
news conference, Las Vegas police and
federal law enforcement officials un-
veiled new details about the New Year’s
Day explosion.
Among the specifics law enforce-
ment disclosed: Livelsberger stopped
during the drive to Las Vegas to pour
racing-grade fuel into the Cybertruck,
which then dripped the substance. The
vehicle was loaded with 60 pounds (27
kilograms) of pyrotechnic material
as well as 70 pounds (32 kilograms) of
birdshot but officials are still uncertain
exactly what detonated the explosion.
They said Tuesday it could have been
the flash from the firearm that Livels-
berger used to fatally shoot himself.
Authorities also said they uncovered
a six-page document that they have
not yet released because they’re work-
ing with Defense Department officials
since some of the material could be
classified. They added that they still
have to review contents on a laptop, mo-
bile phone and smartwatch.
Among the items released was a jour-
nal Livelsberger kept titled “surveil-
lance” or “surveil” log. It showed that
he believed he was being tracked by
law enforcement, but he had no crimin-
al record and was not on the police de-
partment’s or FBI’s “radar,” the sheriff
said Tuesday.
The log showed that he considered
carrying out his plans in Arizona at the
Grand Canyon’s glass skywalk, a tour-
ist attraction on tribal land that towers
high above the canyon floor. Assistant
Sheriff Dori Koren said police don’t
know why he changed his plans. The
writings also showed he worried he
would be labeled a terrorist and that
people would think he intended to kill
others besides himself, officials said.
Once stopped outside the hotel, video
showed a flash in the vehicle that they
said they believed was from the muz-
zle of the firearm Livelsberger used
to shoot himself. Soon after that flash,
video showed fire engulfing the truck’s
cabin and even escaping the seam of
the door, the result of considerable fuel
vapour, officials said. An explosion fol-
lowed.
Livelsberger, an Army Green Beret
who deployed twice to Afghanistan and
lived in Colorado Springs, Colo., left
notes saying the explosion was a stunt
meant to be a “ wake-up call ” for the na-
tion’s troubles, officials said last week.
He left cellphone notes saying he
needed to “cleanse” his mind “of the
brothers I’ve lost and relieve myself of
the burden of the lives I took.”
The explosion caused minor injuries
to seven people but virtually no dam-
age to the Trump International Hotel.
Authorities said that Livelsberger act-
ed alone.
Livelsberger’s letters touched on
political grievances, societal problems
and domestic and international issues,
including the war in Ukraine. He wrote
that the U.S. was “terminally ill and
headed toward collapse.”
Investigators had been trying to de-
termine if Livelsberger wanted to make
a political point, given the Tesla and
the hotel bearing the president-elect’s
name.
Livelsberger harboured no ill will
toward president-elect Donald Trump,
law enforcement officials said. In one
of the notes he left, he said the country
needed to “rally around” him and Tesla
CEO Elon Musk.
— The Associated Press
MIKE CATALINI
K.M. CANNON / LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL VIA AP
Assistant Sheriff Dori Koren shows a photo of the investigation into a Tesla Cybertruck that
exploded, during a news conference at police headquarters in Las Vegas, Tuesday.
Biden administration asks court to block plea deal for accused 9/11 mastermind
WASHINGTON — The Biden admin-
istration asked a federal appeals court
on Tuesday to block a plea agreement
for accused 9/11 mastermind Khalid
Sheikh Mohammed that would spare
him the risk of the death penalty in
one of the deadliest attacks ever on the
United States.
The Justice Department argued in a
brief filed with a federal appeals court
in the District of Columbia that the gov-
ernment would be irreparably harmed
if the guilty pleas were accepted for
Mohammed and two co-defendants in
the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.
It said the government would be de-
nied a chance for a public trial and the
opportunity to “seek capital punish-
ment against three men charged with a
heinous act of mass murder that caused
the death of thousands of people and
shocked the nation and the world.”
The Defense Department negotiated
and approved the plea deal but later
repudiated it. Attorneys for the defend-
ants argue the deal is already legally
in effect and Defense Secretary Lloyd
Austin, who began the administration’s
efforts to throw it out, acted too late.
When the appeal was filed Tuesday,
family members of some the nearly
3,000 people killed in the al-Qaida at-
tacks already were gathered at the U.S.
naval base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba,
to hear Mohammed’s scheduled guilty
plea Friday. The other two men, ac-
cused of lesser roles in 9/11, were due
to enter them next week.
Family members have been split on
the deal, with some calling it the best
resolution possible for a prosecution
mired for more than a decade in pre-
trial hearings and legal and logistical
difficulties. Others demanded a trial
and — they hoped — execution.
Some legal experts have warned that
the legal challenges posed by the case,
including the men’s torture under CIA
custody after their capture, could keep
the aging detainees from ever facing
verdicts and any possible sentences.
Military prosecutors this summer
notified families of the victims that
the senior Pentagon official overseeing
Guantanamo had approved a plea deal
after more than two years of negoti-
ations. The deal was “the best path to
finality and justice,” military prosecu-
tors said. But some family members
and Republican lawmakers condemned
the deal and the Biden administration
for reaching it.
Austin has fought unsuccessfully
since August to throw out the agree-
ment, saying that a decision on death
penalties in an attack as grave as the
Sept. 11 plot should only be made by the
defence secretary.
A military judge at Guantanamo
and a military appeals panel rejected
those efforts, saying he had no power
to throw out the agreement after it had
been approved by the senior Pentagon
official for Guantanamo.
Defence attorneys say the plea agree-
ment was approved by Austin’s own
officials and military prosecutors and
his intervention was unlawful political
interference in the justice system.
The Justice Department brief Tues-
day said the defendants would not be
harmed by a short delay, given that the
prosecution has been ongoing since 2012
and the plea agreements would likely re-
sult in them serving long prison senten-
ces, potentially for the rest of their lives.
“A short delay to allow this Court to
weigh the merits of the government’s
request in this momentous case will not
materially harm the respondents,” the
government argued.
The Justice Department criticized
the military commission judge for a rul-
ing that it said “improperly curtailed”
the defence secretary’s authority in a
“case of unique national importance.”
Preserving that authority “is a matter
of critical importance warranting the
issuance of extraordinary relief,” the
government’s filing said.
— The Associated Press
ERIC TUCKER
AND ELLEN KNICKMEYER
;