Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - January 8, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
WEDNESDAY JANUARY 8, 2025 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
SECTION B
CONNECT WITH WINNIPEG’S NO. 1 NEWS SOURCE
▼
CITY
●
BUSINESS
JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS
People watch as firefighters battle a blaze at the Holy Ascension Greek Orthodox Church, which also burned in June and was damaged by fires at a neighbouring property in recent years.
A
FLAME-RAVAGED church suffered a final blow
Monday night, becoming the latest victim in
a scourge of fires repeatedly striking Win-
nipeg’s vacant properties and running emergency
crews ragged.
Holy Ascension Greek Orthodox Church — now re-
duced to a roofless, burned-out heap — is a symbol of
the growing issue, which reached record highs last
year and shows no signs of slowing.
“It’s quite frustrating because it’s a significant
use of resources when we have to return to these
and they pose an ongoing risk,” Winnipeg Fire Para-
medic Service deputy chief Scott Wilkinson said.
“It’s been an escalating issue for quite a number of
years. In 2024, we don’t have final year numbers, but
it anecdotally appears we’ve surpassed all previous
years with the number of vacant building fires, un-
fortunately.”
Firefighters arrived at the church near Main
Street and Euclid Avenue at about 6:15 p.m. to find
the building engulfed in smoke and flames. They
were able to fight the fire only from the outside be-
cause the building was not safe to enter, the WFPS
said.
The temperature was -20 C as firefighters battled
the blaze throughout the evening before it was de-
clared under control at about 1 a.m. The building,
which also burned in June and was damaged by fires
at a neighbouring property in 2023 and 2021, is a
complete loss, the WFPS said.
“I’m kind of desensitized to it at this point. It’s sad,
but I have to be,” church secretary Stephanie Sar-
lakis said, speaking outside the ruined structure.
Sarlakis, who visited the building Tuesday to take
photos and assess the damage, said the church has
been plagued by repeated break-ins, thefts and fires
that drove the congregation away.
It has officially sat vacant since September but was
largely unused dating back to the summer, when the
last fire caused extensive damage to the basement
and banquet area. Holy Ascension did not have insur-
ance on the building, constructed in 1938, which had
been denied coverage because of damage to its roof,
boiler and other infrastructure, she said.
The parish’s congregation of approximately two
dozen people had resorted to hosting services in
their own homes.
The property was listed for sale and a potential
buyer had been interested, Sarlakis said. Monday’s
blaze struck on the eve of Orthodox Christmas, ex-
acerbating the pain of former parishioners who
scoured social media for updates as the house of wor-
ship burned, she added. “We’ll regroup after the holi-
days and come together as a board and figure it out.”
Mynarski Coun. Ross Eadie said securing insur-
ance is challenging for many properties in the ward,
which encompasses parts of the North End and Point
Douglas.
“It’s a huge cost. Huge. Small businesses, residents,
everybody is suffering here because of the social
ills out there on the streets,” Eadie said. “You’ve got
these people, whether they are stealing to feed their
drug habit, or whatever they are doing, they are the
ones who are doing this … we have to provide more
opportunity for people not to get into that racket.”
Evidence of squatters littered the building in the
months before Monday’s fire, with the interior pil-
laged of metal piping and wires. Discarded condoms
and drug paraphernalia have also been found, Sar-
lakis said.
Garry Saniuk, the caretaker for an adjacent apart-
ment complex, agreed the former church is fre-
quently targeted by people living on the streets. The
72-year-old man spent the night curled up inside a
sleeping bag in his apartment, which was left without
heat and electricity for up to seven hours.
The power was restored around 3 a.m., with the
temperature dipping below 18 C in his suite, he said.
“It’s a concern,” Saniuk said of vacant buildings
and fires in his neighbourhood. “One of the pun-
ishments (authorities) should give these people who
light these fires is to send them to the burn unit in a
hospital for a day and let them see what kind of dev-
astation people suffer.”
The cause of Monday’s fire remains under inves-
tigation, but Wilkinson said it was likely man-made.
“When we have buildings that are vacant and
secured with no utilities connected to them, there
aren’t too many other options,” he said.
The fire in June was being investigated as arson,
police said at the time. United Fire Fighters of Win-
nipeg Local 867 president Nick Kasper said city fire-
fighters face some of the highest call volumes and
lowest temperatures in the country. Vacant buildings
are dangerous because they are difficult to access
and ventilate.
Such properties can present unknown structural
hazards, and are typically more involved in fires by
the time they are reported, he said.
“That takes a pretty significant toll on our people.
Firefighting is a hazardous profession at the best of
times and these risks are compounded exponential-
ly,” Kasper said. “When you fight this many fires
this frequently, it’s almost a matter of time (before
somebody gets hurt).”
Union data suggests firefighters faced an average
of 20 vacant property fires per month last year. In
the first six days of 2025, crews saw eight significant
fires including several in vacant buildings, he said.
The union leader called for more fire resources,
saying staff and equipment are stretched dangerous-
ly thin. He also said the number of vacant properties
must be reduced as soon as possible.
Kasper credited his fellow firefighters for their
bravery and dedication in the face of challenging
circumstances. Last month, the city began work on
a pilot project to inspect unsafe conditions at prop-
erties sooner, in the hopes vacant buildings are dealt
with before they are set ablaze.
City officials were monitoring 684 properties
under Winnipeg’s vacant buildings bylaw, includ-
ing 526 residential and 158 commercial spots, at the
time. The WFPS urged anybody who sees someone
entering a vacant building to immediately contact
emergency services.
tyler.searle@freepress.mb.ca
Point Douglas parish a total loss; ‘I’m… desensitized’: church secretary
Vacant church fire
latest in growing crisis
TYLER SEARLE
Councillor forced to take action to view city housing report
A CITY councillor says he’s been forced
to file a freedom of information request
for a report on federal housing funding
he said is being unfairly withheld from
council.
Coun. Brian Mayes (St. Vital) said
while a report prepared by City of Win-
nipeg staff summarizing the first year
of the federal Housing Accelerator Fund
was submitted to the Canada Mortgage
and Housing Corporation in December,
he has not been able to access it despite
repeated requests. A city hall vote on
the program is scheduled for Jan. 30.
Mayes said it was the first time he’s
had to file a freedom of information re-
quest in his 13-year career and criticized
an “obsessive” secrecy around the hous-
ing fund, which is set to provide the city
$30.6-million in payments from 2023-26
with a goal of creating more than 3,000
new housing units in Winnipeg.
“It’s frustration. I’m voting on this, I
should see it,” he said Tuesday.
“Why the hell do federal bureaucrats
have this information and I don’t? I find
that baffling.”
“I’m not claiming there’s corruption,
I’m not claiming there’s any inefficiency,
but … give me the facts before I vote.”
Council has highlighted eight initia-
tives, including changes to zoning rules
and a capital grant program, set to be
funded from future accelerator fund
payments. One initiative, a $12-million
incentive plan for infrastructure and
service upgrades to new housing de-
veloped from the federal fund, is sched-
uled to be discussed at Jan. 30’s council
meeting.
A spokesperson for the city pointed to
a recent update provided at a Decem-
ber council meeting that outlined the
first year of the program and said fur-
ther information was coming.
“Per our agreement with CMHC,
the city needed to submit an update on
each of our eight initiatives in order to
receive the scheduled program funds,”
city spokesman Kalen Qually said in an
email.
“The information submitted by the
city is being reviewed by CMHC and
then a public report from both the city
and CMHC will be released to the pub-
lic at a later date.”
Mayes said city staff have told him
the federal body will decide when the
report should be made public.
He suggested the city is treading
lightly amid the Housing Accelerator
Fund’s uncertain future: federal Con-
servative leader Pierre Poilievre has
said he would end the program if elect-
ed prime minister later this year.
MALAK ABAS
MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS
The remains of the vacant Holy Ascension Greek Orthodox
Church, which has been vacant since at least September.
‘Bizarre and
unnerving to
the highest
degree’
DEAN PRITCHARD
AS day turned to night, April 26, 2023,
Tyrus Mann spent hours pushing a laun-
dry bin around at Main Street and Disraeli
Freeway, stopping to chat with friends,
chow down on a slice of pizza from an out-
reach worker and visit a homeless shelter.
No one who encountered Mann, includ-
ing two beat cops who walked past him on
the street, knew that amongst the debris
piled in the laundry cart was the body of
45-year-old Ryan Cory Monias, who Mann
had beaten to death or unconsciousness
hours earlier.
“Whether he was dead at that instant, we
don’t know,” Crown attorney Boyd McGill
told King’s Bench Justice Rick Saull at a
sentencing hearing Tuesday, describing
the killing as “bizarre and unnerving to
the highest degree.”
Mann, who later that night set Monias’s
body ablaze in a Point Douglas parking lot,
pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was
sentenced to 12 years in prison.
Court heard Mann lives with a “verit-
able alphabet of disorders,” including
schizophrenia and alcohol-related neuro-
logical disorder, and is “extremely low
functioning” with an IQ of 50.
McGill and defence lawyer Amanda
Sansregret jointly recommended the 12-
year sentence, which McGill said “takes
into account (Mann’s) limitations.”
According to an agreed statement of
facts previously provided to court, Mann
and Monias were at the Manwin Hotel on
Main Street when Mann, believing Monias
was a “skinner” (street slang for a sex
offender), assaulted and “incapacitated”
Monias.
Mann strapped Monias’s body inside a
sleeping bag, then placed it in a laundry
bin, covered it with scavenged debris and
wheeled the bin to the area of Our Rela-
tives Place homeless shelter on Disraeli
Freeway around 7:30 p.m.
Mann “herded (Monias’s body) around
for hours, like luggage,” until shortly af-
ter midnight when he wheeled the bin to
a warehouse parking lot on Gomez Street,
where he set it on fire, McGill said.
Security video played in court showed
Mann leaving the parking lot as the laun-
dry bin was engulfed in a roaring ball of
flame.
Teenagers driving by a short time later
“couldn’t quite believe their eyes” and
called 911, McGill said.
An autopsy could not determine how
Monias died and described him as being
“cooked to the bone.” The autopsy showed
no evidence of smoke in Monias’s lungs,
suggesting he was already dead when
Mann set fire to his body.
Police arrested Mann days later in an un-
related stabbing the same day Monias was
killed and recovered a knife later found to
have blood on it matching Monias’s DNA.
Mann, who was not yet a suspect in
Monias’s killing, was released on an
undertaking and then rearrested May 2
for an unrelated offence. A day later, po-
lice connected Mann to Monias’s death and
arrested him for committing an indignity
on human remains.
Mann “voluntarily” confessed and told
police he became angry with Monias,
thinking he was a sex offender, and
“snapped” his neck before “fold(ing) him
like a pretzel” and placing the body in a
sleeping bag, said the agreed statement of
facts.
Mann received credit for time served,
reducing his remaining sentence to ap-
proximately 10 ½ years.
dean.pritchard@freepress.mb.ca
Mentally challenged killer
handed 12-year jail sentence
● HOUSING, CONTINUED ON B2
;