Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - January 9, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
II
II
The RW tax holiday is at SALISBURY HOUSE on Thursdays!
No PST
NoGST
APPLIES AT ALL SALISBURY HOUSE FAMILY RESTAURANT LOCATIONS
VALID FROM DECEMBER 19 2024 THROUGH FEBRUARY 13 2025 -THURSDAYS ONLY
THURSDAY JANUARY 9, 2025 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
SECTION B
CONNECT WITH WINNIPEG’S NO. 1 NEWS SOURCE
▼
CITY
●
BUSINESS
RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS
ON EDGE
With the Nestaweya River Trail now running from The Forks to the Manitoba legislative building, there
was no shortage of skaters ready to lace up the blades and try it out Wednesday. The weather is expected to
remain cold before turning mild towards the end of next week.
Wyatt pushes for expropriation
while mayor urges caution
Politicians drawn
into battle over
Lemay Forest
T
HE pitched battle over the fate of
St. Norbert’s Lemay Forest was
being fought on several fronts
Wednesday as activists prevented the
developer’s planner from accessing the
property at one spot, a work crew got
in at another and cut down some trees
and a city councillor called on the may-
or and premier to expropriate the land.
Some area residents have fought to
save the trees on the land amid con-
cerns about potential unmarked graves
of Métis children and others in a for-
mer Catholic orphanage cemetery and
the protection of bird habitat.
The landowner, Tochal Development
Group, has sought approval to build a
large assisted-living facility. Council
rejected the plan, but the developer
intends to appeal the decision before
the provincial government Municipal
Board in February.
“It’s come to a crisis point, we need
this to get resolved,” said Louise May, a
spokeswoman for the Coalition to Save
the Lemay Forest, prior to the arrival of
a work crew Wednesday morning.
Development planner John Wintrup
arrived at the access point with a dump
truck and skid-steer equipment oper-
ator just after 9:30 a.m. but did not
make it past the protesters. Another
work crew gained access in another
area earlier and began felling trees.
Court of King’s Bench Justice Sarah
Inness granted an interim injunction
request last week, ordering defendants
suspected to have protested at the prop-
erty to leave and refrain from blocking
the property’s owner from accessing it
through an easement over city-owned
land.
At a contested hearing Monday, the
developer’s lawyer sought to bar the
group that is opposed to the develop-
ment from the adjacent city-owned
land. Inness ruled Monday protesters
are allowed to remain there but, again,
said they could not impede access.
Wintrup and the equipment operator
tried to get through three times Wed-
nesday, but May said they were waiting
for police to arrive to discuss the mat-
ter. Police did not show up, but were ap-
parently in the area.
The situation grew heated, as protest-
ers and Wintrup argued, people on both
sides recorded video and May repeat-
edly called police.
She said the group wanted police to
enforce provincial cemeteries legis-
lation concerning tree-cutting in grave-
yards.
Kevin Toyne, lawyer for the develop-
er, declined to comment on his client’s
next steps Wednesday afternoon.
Protesters have an Indigenous sacred
fire burning on the adjacent city land.
The developer has granted one man ac-
cess to its property to conduct Indigen-
ous sweat lodges and other ceremony
— and Wintrup said the owner will
allow access to others, too — though
the protesters said some individuals
haven’t been able to get on the land for
that purpose.
Wintrup said the contractors have
been made aware of a buffer zone
where graves are thought to be and
that the developer has sought to mark
graves.
Ian Histed, the lawyer for some
group members, unsuccessfully argued
in court Monday that the judge should
halt tree-cutting based on cemetery
legislation and federal migratory bird
legislation.
The group intends to file an injunc-
tion of its own this week based on those
issues, May said.
“Then it will be the other side that’s
in contempt,” she said, adding she is
also hoping governments expropriate
the land to be used as a park.
Protesters and environmental groups
argue the developer has not done a
proper sweep for pileated woodpeckers
on the land, contrary to federal legis-
lation. Wintrup has said there is no evi-
dence of the birds.
ERIK PINDERA
MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS
Coun. Russ Wyatt (right) met with protesters Wednesday morning, including Louise May
(centre), a spokeswoman for the Coalition to Save the Lemay Forest.
MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS
Development planner John Wintrup films
protesters as he tells them to move at Lemay
Forest on Wednesday. They would not.
● LEMAY, CONTINUED ON B2
Wrecking ball comes for hard-luck
111-year-old Charleswood school
CHAPMAN School is being torn down
once and for all, following an 111-year-
old lifespan often marked by misfor-
tune and mishap.
Construction crews were on site at
3707 Roblin Blvd. on Wednesday to tear
down the third and final version of the
school.
The original building, established in
1913, was set ablaze three years after
it welcomed its inaugural cohort. A re-
placement was destroyed in a second
fire that broke out during the Second
World War and it was hastily resur-
rected.
“It’s always unfortunate when we see
historic property come down, particu-
larly in Charleswood; they have such
limited historical buildings there,” said
Cindy Tugwell, executive director of
Heritage Winnipeg.
The campus was named after George
Chapman, the first reeve of the now-de-
funct rural municipality of Charles-
wood and inaugural chairman of the
area’s hyperlocal school division that
was swallowed by Assiniboine South,
and, after the latest round of amalgam-
ations in 2002, Pembina Trails.
Tugwell said the school itself and
surrounding green space bordered
by Roblin Boulevard, Alcrest Drive,
Vialoux Drive and a line of backyards
on Princeton Boulevard, hold historic
significance and are believed to have
been used by the Red River Métis.
It’s disheartening that yet another
park is shrinking, she said, noting re-
cent headlines about housing projects
slated for the Parker Lands in Fort Gar-
ry and St. Norbert’s Lemay Forest.
A local real estate company bought
the campus, which includes a school,
daycare facility and playground, from
the Pembina Trails School Division in
2019 for $2.41 million.
Karma Development Group is
transforming the grounds into a high-
end condominium complex dubbed
“Princeton Estates.”
Realtor Adam Nemy said a line of
trees along Vialoux Drive has been
dedicated to the City of Winnipeg to
preserve green space.
MAGGIE MACINTOSH
● SCHOOL, CONTINUED ON B2
LOCAL JOURNALISM INITIATIVE REPORTER
;