Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - January 10, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
FRIDAY, JANUARY 10, 2025
A4
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
NEWS I TOP NEWS
Spin aside, ER wait times not improving
D
R. Shawn Young, the chief
operating officer at Health
Sciences Centre — where a
middle-aged man died after spend-
ing eight hours in the emergency de-
partment Tuesday — said wait times
at the hospital’s ER have improved
over the past year.
That’s not entirely true.
Statistically, there’s been a tiny
year-over-year improvement in ER
wait times at HSC. The most recent
available data show the median ER
wait time was 3.77 hours in Novem-
ber, down slightly from 3.9 hours in
November 2023. That is statistically
insignificant. It would be more accu-
rate to say ER wait times at HSC are
largely unchanged from a year ago.
Young also didn’t say that ER wait
times at HSC peaked in November
2023. They increased significantly and
steadily from 2017 to 2023, after the
former Progressive Conservative gov-
ernment announced the consolidation
of acute care hospitals in Winnipeg,
including the closure of three ERs.
To compare with a year ago while
ignoring the previous six years is
misleading. It gives the impression
hospital overcrowding is improving
when it isn’t.
Here’s a more accurate assessment:
the median ER wait time at HSC has
more than tripled since November
2017, when it was 1.18 hours, Winnipeg
Regional Health Authority data show.
The median wait time is the point at
which half of patients wait longer and
half wait less to see a doctor or nurse
practitioner.
Wait times fluctuate from month to
month. In the fall of 2017 and into the
winter of 2018, the median ER wait
time at HSC was at or below two hours.
It increased to more than three hours
by 2022 and has remained well above
three hours ever since, peaking in
November 2023.
ER wait times at HSC have actually
increased in recent months, from 3.17
hours in September 2024 to 3.53 hours
in October and 3.77 hours in Novem-
ber.
That is the information Young should
have communicated to the public. In-
stead, he delivered political spin.
“They’re not where we want them to
be,” Young said of wait times during a
Tuesday news conference. “It’s going
to be a long time before we get them to
where we want them to be.”
Where, exactly, does HSC want them
to be? Back to 2017 levels, when they
were well below two hours? What is
the plan to get there? So far, the public
hasn’t heard one from HSC, Shared
Health or the NDP government,
beyond vague platitudes about adding
more staff.
We won’t know for some time why
the man died in the ER Tuesday morn-
ing. He was assessed as a low-acuity
patient, which means on the Canadian
triage and acuity scale (which assigns
patients a number from one to five,
one being the most acute), he was
likely triaged as a four or a five. Under
hospital protocol, he should have been
re-assessed periodically.
Young said he didn’t know how often
the man had been re-assessed. The
patient’s condition deteriorated after
about eight hours, and he was taken to
a resuscitation room, where he died.
Either he was not assessed properly
in the first place, or there were aspects
of his condition that were not easily
detectable. The public will learn more
after the matter is thoroughly investi-
gated. Health Minister Uzoma Asag-
wara ordered a critical incident inves-
tigation into the death Wednesday.
We know the hospital was, as usual,
overcrowded. There is a shortage of
hospital beds on medical wards, which
has been the case for at least seven
years. That means many ER patients
sick enough to be admitted to hospital
could not be transferred to a hospital
bed. Instead, they piled up in the emer-
gency department, and ER doctors and
nurses, who are already short-staffed,
had less time to see new patients.
That’s what drives up wait times and
makes for unsafe ERs.
Low-acuity patients wait longer, and
high-acuity patients are seen first. But
this case is a stark reminder of how
long wait times for low-acuity patients,
which are typically more than 10 hours
at HSC, can end in disaster. Just be-
cause a patient is triaged as a four or a
five doesn’t necessarily mean they can
wait 10 hours or more for care. There
might be hidden conditions that should
be addressed sooner rather than later.
This incident should come as no
great surprise. There is a severe short-
age of staffed medical beds not only at
HSC, but at all Winnipeg hospitals.
The number of licensed hospital
beds at HSC declined from 791 in
2020-21 to 781 in 2023-24, Shared
Health’s 2023-24 annual report states.
Average bed occupancy during that
period increased from 83.45 per cent
to a staggering 98.2 per cent. That
means on average, there is barely any
extra capacity in the hospital to absorb
surges in patient demand.
There is also a shortage of personal
care home beds and other off-site, long-
term treatment options for patients
who should be moved out of hospital.
Together, this causes hospital conges-
tion and creates bottlenecks in emer-
gency departments and urgent-care
centres.
The problem is far worse today
at HSC and most other Winnipeg
hospitals than it was two, five or seven
years ago. At best, it has stabilized
since November 2023. But to char-
acterize ER wait times or hospital
congestion as having improved over
the past year is simply not true.
tom.brodbeck@freepress.mb.ca
TOM BRODBECK
OPINION
Drilling for clues about climate
A
TEAM of international scien-
tists, including a University
of Manitoba academic, has re-
trieved the world’s longest ice sample
in an effort to learn about Earth’s cli-
mate nearly a million years ago.
Just after Christmas from a remote
site in Antarctica, the team drilled
thousands of metres to reach where
the ice sheet meets bedrock. The ice
sample contains greenhouse gas bub-
bles that hold clues to climate and
atmospheric history dating back more
than 800,000 years.
The ice core shows a continuous re-
cord of the Earth’s climate as far back
as 1.2 million years.
Dorthe Dahl-Jensen, chair of the
ice core science consortium at the U
of M, was part of the team to drill the
2,800-metre sample.
“We’re pretty excited about it and
can’t wait to get working on (re-
searching) it,” she said from Den-
mark Thursday.
The project was 10 years in the
making, Dahl-Jensen said.
The team began using radars in
2014 to identify the spots likely to
contain the old ice. Drilling began in
2019.
Over a period of four seasons (the
team did not drill during the height
of the COVID-19 pandemic), a special
drill designed in Europe went through
the ice sheet metre by metre to reach
the bedrock.
Dahl-Jensen, her team and a broad-
er group of scientists will soon begin
extracting greenhouse gases trapped
in bubbles within the ice sample,
which consists of one-metre blocks
that will be transported to Denmark
from Antarctica in insulated foam
containers.
By studying the ice and gases, re-
searchers hope to learn about the past
to help the future.
“Right now we are warming the
climate because we are increasing
the concentrations of greenhouse
gases, and in that way we are going
exactly into a climate situation that
reminds very much about the climate
about 1.2 million years ago,” she said.
“So by looking back in time, we get a
snapshot on the climate situation that
might be valuable for us in under-
standing what’s going on right now.”
The project was co-ordinated by the
Institute of Polar Sciences of the Na-
tional Research Council of Italy and
funded by the European Commission
with support from national partners
across Belgium, Denmark, France,
Germany, Italy, Norway, Sweden,
Switzerland, the Netherlands and the
United Kingdom.
In Spring, Dahl-Jensen and a differ-
ent team will undertake a similar pro-
ject in Nunavut, drilling thousands of
metres below the ice to retrieve cores
in order to learn about what Canada’s
climate once was. The analysis will
eventually take place at the Univer-
sity of Alberta.
nicole.buffie@freepress.mb.ca
U of M researcher among scientists
studying world’s longest ice sample
NICOLE BUFFIE
PNRA-IPEV
The ice-core storage cave in Antarctica. Core samples, as pictured below, are cut into one-metre blocks and sent to Denmark for further research.
Ottawa credits MMF, funding plan for Michif resurgence
THE number of people able to have a
conversation in a traditional Indigen-
ous language across Canada has in-
creased 45 per cent since the federal
government allocated funding directly
to Métis nations for classes and pro-
gramming.
Taleeb Noormohamed, parliament-
ary secretary to the Canadian Herit-
age Minister Pascale St-Onge, said the
Michif language has seen a resurgence
because of the Manitoba Métis Federa-
tion’s efforts.
“That shows that these types of ef-
forts, these types of initiatives, have a
profound impact,” Noormohamed told
reporters at a Winnipeg news confer-
ence Thursday to formally announce
the funding and provide an update on
the program.
The Liberal government announced a
new model to support Métis languages
in April 2023 that directly allocates
the funds to the Manitoba Métis Fed-
eration, allowing them to implement a
language strategy that addresses their
unique priorities and redistribute re-
sources to Red River Métis organiza-
tions and community groups.
Andrew Carrier, minister of French
and Michif language protection for the
MMF, said there are fewer than 1,000
people in Manitoba who still speak
Michif and the funding will support the
language’s advancement.
“With the help of the federal govern-
ment we’re able to give the Michif lan-
guage a chance to survive and to pros-
per,” he said.
Michif is a combination of French
nouns and Cree verbs and is spoken by
Métis people in several provinces and
territories across Canada.
Currently the MMF has funded class-
es through community organizations
and the universities of Winnipeg and
Manitoba, with plans to expand its of-
ferings to school divisions.
Noormohamed said one of the chal-
lenges with funding for language edu-
cation in the past was that it had been
done on an ad hoc, short-term basis that
didn’t give organizations the time and
capacity to plan programs properly.
“So this model, I think, is one that is
transformative in that regard, and be-
cause it is driven by the federation it al-
lows a lot more planning and program
development,” he said.
The MMF currently has a request for
proposals on its website for individuals
and communities to apply for funds to
enhance Michif education.
In October 2023 the federal gov-
ernment announced more than $15.3
million over five years to the MMF to
support the revitalization efforts of the
language.
nicole.buffie@freepress.mb.ca
NICOLE BUFFIE
No delay
on Trump
sentence:
Supreme
Court
WASHINGTON — A divided Supreme
Court on Thursday rejected presi-
dent-elect Donald Trump’s bid to delay
his sentencing in his hush money case
in New York.
The court’s order clears the way for
Judge Juan M. Merchan to impose a
sentence Friday on Trump, who was
convicted in what prosecutors called
an attempt to cover up a $130,000 hush-
money payment to porn actor Stormy
Daniels. Trump has denied any liaison
with Daniels or any wrongdoing.
Merchan has said he will not give
Trump jail time, fines or probation.
But Trump’s attorneys have argued
that evidence used in the Manhattan
trial violated last summer’s Supreme
Court ruling giving Trump broad
immunity from prosecution over acts
he took as president.
At the least, they have said, the sen-
tencing should be delayed while their
appeals play out to avoid distracting
Trump during the presidential transi-
tion.
Prosecutors pushed back, saying
there’s no reason for the court to take
the “extraordinary step” of intervening
in a state case now. Trump’s attorneys
haven’t shown that an hour-long virtual
hearing would be a serious disruption,
and a pause would likely mean pushing
the case past the Jan. 20 inauguration,
creating a years-long delay in senten-
cing if it happens at all.
Trump’s attorneys went to the jus-
tices after New York courts refused
to postpone sentencing, including the
state’s highest court on Thursday.
Judges in New York have found that
the convictions on 34 felony counts of
falsifying business records related to
personal matters rather than Trump’s
official acts as president. Daniels says
she had a sexual encounter with Trump
in 2006. He denies it.
Trump’s attorneys called the case
politically motivated, and they said
sentencing him now would be a “grave
injustice” that threatens to disrupt the
presidential transition as the Repub-
lican prepares to return to the White
House.
Trump is represented by D. John
Sauer, his pick to be the solicitor gen-
eral, who represents the government
before the high court.
Sauer also argued for Trump in the
separate criminal case charging him
with trying to overturn the results of
the 2020 election that resulted in the
Supreme Court’s immunity opinion.
Defence attorneys cited that opinion
in arguing some of the evidence used
against him in the hush money trial
should have been shielded by presiden-
tial immunity. That includes testimony
from some White House aides and so-
cial media posts made while he was in
office.
The decision comes a day after Jus-
tice Samuel Alito confirmed that he
took a phone call from Trump the day
before the president-elect’s lawyers
filed their emergency motion before
the high court. The justice said the call
was about a clerk, not any upcoming or
current cases.
— The Associated Press
;