Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - January 13, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
TOP NEWS
A3 MONDAY JANUARY 13, 2025 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS
STRIDING FOR PERFECTION
Skaters young and old were among those embracing Learn to Winter at The Forks Sunday. Every week-
end through February, join in for skating, skiing, sledding, snowshoeing, music and storytelling.
MacKinnon won’t join Liberal leadership race
O
TTAWA — Another minister ru-
moured to have been considering
a run for the Liberal leadership
has decided against it, saying there
isn’t enough time for him to mount the
kind of campaign he wants.
Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon
said in a social media post Sunday that
the leadership race needs diverse, ex-
perienced and pragmatic voices in both
English and French.
And while he feels he could be that
voice, the Gatineau MP says the length
of the campaign for the leadership
doesn’t fit with his plans.
The Liberal party has said the new
leader will be announced March 9,
leaving prospective candidates just
eight weeks to make their case and sign
up party members to vote for them.
The party is working with a tight time
frame because opposition parties in-
tend to defeat the Liberal government
the next chance they get in the House of
Commons, which would plunge Canada
into an election.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has
prorogued Parliament until March 24,
so the March 9 date gives the new Lib-
eral leader two weeks to prepare for
the House’s return and a national cam-
paign.
MacKinnon said he will focus on his
ministerial responsibilities and will lis-
ten closely to help make an informed
choice around who should replace Tru-
deau.
“I admire all those who have con-
sidered, or are considering, entering
the leadership race. Liberals across
Canada have big expectations. It has
been energizing for me to hear their
voices,” MacKinnon wrote.
“It is the honour of my life to repre-
sent the people of Gatineau in the House
of Commons, and I look forward to once
again seeking their confidence.”
Trudeau announced in early January
that he would resign his role as prime
minister and Liberal party leader as
soon as a replacement is chosen.
In an interview that aired Sunday on
MSNBC’s Inside with Jen Psaki, Tru-
deau said his party’s low popularity
relates to a global anti-incumbent senti-
ment.
“I think now we’re seeing a time
in politics where emotions and social
media is carrying an awful lot of weight
in how people feel about things, but I’m
always going to lean back on what are
the substantive things that are being
done,” Trudeau said.
He also blamed the “political right”
for contributing to perceptions things
are worse than they are, and said
people are looking for quick fixes that
aren’t necessarily possible outside the
medium- and long-term.
Once a new leader is chosen, Trudeau
said he’s “looking forward to resting.”
“My two older kids have about a year
and a half left in high school before
they go off to university. The idea of
being there for them as an active dad,
making lunches and being home when
they get home from school is something
that’s really, really exciting to me.”
So far, former Montreal MP Frank
Baylis and Nepean, Ont., MP Chandra
Arya have joined the race to replace
Trudeau, while former Bank of Can-
ada governor Mark Carney signalled
through his campaign team that he will
launch a leadership bid later this week.
Other high-profile ministers in Tru-
deau’s cabinet who were speculated to
seek the leadership have in recent days
quashed the idea.
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie
Joly took herself out of the running
Friday, saying she’s not willing to leave
her cabinet posting at a “crucial time”
for Canada-U.S. relations.
“The reality is, I can’t do both,” she
told reporters on Parliament Hill on
Friday morning.
Transport and Internal Trade Minis-
ter Anita Anand announced Saturday
that she, too, has declined to run and
would also not seek reelection.
She said the joy of her work in politics
delayed a planned return to academia,
but now that Trudeau has decided to
step aside she says it’s time for her to
do so as well.
“I sincerely thank Prime Minister
Trudeau for welcoming me on the Lib-
eral team as a member of Parliament
and for entrusting me in key cabinet
portfolios,” she wrote in a statement on
social media.
“I am truly grateful to the people of
Oakville for selecting me to represent
them in Canada’s House of Commons,
and for being such a wonderful, wel-
coming community where my husband
and I raised our four children over the
past 20 years.”
Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc
also dashed the hopes of many of his
caucus supporters last Wednesday by
becoming the first potential cabinet
aspirant to rule out a leadership bid.
Since his announcement, several
MPs, including Judy Sgro, have tried to
convince him to change his mind, but
he has signalled his decision is firm.
— The Canadian Press
ALESSIA PASSAFIUME
Cites lack of time to
mount campaign
JUSTIN TANG / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES
Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said in a social media post Sunday that the leadership
race needs diverse, experienced and pragmatic voices in both English and French.
Talk of Canada becoming 51st state a distraction: PM
OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin
Trudeau says talk of Canada becoming
the 51st state is a distraction from more
pressing threats of U.S tariffs on Can-
ada and their likely impact.
In an interview that aired Sunday
on MSNBC, he said Canada is ready to
respond with retaliatory tariffs should
president-elect Donald Trump follow
through with a threat to impose 25 per
cent across-the-board tariffs on im-
ports from Canada and Mexico when
he takes office next week.
Trump has also referred to Canada
as the “51st state,” a notion federal cab-
inet ministers initially played off as a
joke but now appear to be taking more
seriously.
Appearing on Inside with Jen Psaki,
Trudeau said Canadians need to take
Trump’s expansionist rhetoric serious-
ly, and that there is a certain amount of
“flattery” in Trump seeing how great
the country is.
“And I know that, as a successful ne-
gotiator, (Trump) likes to keep people
a little off-balance. The 51st state,
that’s not going to happen. It’s just a
non-starter. Canadians are incredibly
proud of being Canadian,” said Tru-
deau, who taped the appearance while
in the United States to attend Thurs-
day’s funeral for former president
Jimmy Carter.
“But people are now talking about
that, as opposed to talking about, for
example, what the impact (would be) of
25 per cent tariffs on steel and alum-
inum coming into the United States, on
energy, whether it’s oil and gas or elec-
tricity.”
Trudeau said he was able to negotiate
with Trump in a mutually beneficial
Canada-U. S. free trade deal the last
time each was in office, despite it being
“hard” because of Trump’s negotiation
behaviour.
“But we got to a good outcome that
was win-win for both of us,” Trudeau
told Psaki, a former White House press
secretary.
As for Trump calling Trudeau a
“governor,” Trudeau said: “I have been
in politics an awfully long time. I tend
to focus on the substantive things, not
on people choosing nicknames for me. I
mean, if I was that thin-skinned, I prob-
ably wouldn’t last that long in politics.”
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith
made her own appeal to Trump this
weekend, posting on social media that
she spent time at his Mar-a-Lago resi-
dence and met with him and key allies
in the incoming administration.
Smith said the pair had a “friendly
and constructive” conversation on the
importance of the U.S.-Canada energy
relationship, and how U.S. jobs are sup-
ported by Albertan exports.
In one photo she shared online, Smith
is seen standing next to Trump and
Canadian businessman Kevin O’Leary.
“On behalf of Albertans, I will con-
tinue to engage in constructive dia-
logue and diplomacy with the incoming
administration and elected federal and
state officials from both parties, and
will do all I can to further Alberta’s and
Canada’s interests,” Smith wrote.
“We need to preserve our independ-
ence while we grow this critical part-
nership for the benefit of Canadians
and Americans for generations to
come.”
Meanwhile, Foreign Affairs Minister
Mélanie Joly said Canadians need to
“be ready” for economic threats, say-
ing all leaders need to put Canada first
and show a united front.
“We have to be very realistic, very
pragmatic, and we have to be ready,
because something we can’t do is not to
take president-elect Trump at his word.
Because when he says something, he
usually does it,” she said Sunday on
CBC’s Rosemary Barton Live.
She went on to say Ottawa is pursuing
a strategy to engage the incoming U.S.
administration through measures that
include a new border plan, developing
military alliances and co-operating on
energy issues.
“And at the same time, we’re working
on a retaliation plan,” said Joly.
“I can’t go into the details of that re-
taliation plan, because I think it would
be a bad strategy. But what I can tell
you is everything is on the table.”
Former prime minister Jean Chrétien
also weighed in on U.S relations over
the weekend, spending his 91st birth-
day telling Trump to “give (his) head a
shake.”
In an opinion article published in the
Globe and Mail on Saturday, Chrétien
said his birthday called for celebration
with family and friends, but also a look
back at how the country has changed
over the years. He made a pitch for
Canadian politicians to work together
against Trump’s threats.
“I can tell you Canadians prize our
independence. We love our country. We
have built something here that is the
envy of the world — when it comes to
compassion, understanding, tolerance
and finding a way for people of dif-
ferent backgrounds and faiths to live
together in harmony,” wrote Chrétien,
who was prime minister from 1993 to
2003.
“We built a nation across the most
rugged, challenging geography imagin-
able. And we did it against the odds. We
may look easygoing. Mild-mannered.
But make no mistake, we have spine
and toughness.”
— The Canadian Press
ALESSIA PASSAFIUME
JOSE LUIS MAGANA / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILES
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says U.S. tariffs against Canada are a more pressing threat.
Minister says firefighters from Alberta
and B.C. to deploy in California
OTTAWA — Emergency Preparedness
Minister Harjit Sajjan says dozens of
firefighters from Alberta and British
Columbia will help fight wildfires in
California, and the federal government
is co-ordinating efforts with the prov-
inces to deploy resources.
Sajjan says in a social media post that
60 firefighters from the two provinces
will be deployed as soon as today, and
that Canadian officials are working to
identify and prepare more resources to
send in the days ahead.
He says in the post that, “Our Amer-
ican friends have asked for help to
fight the wildfires in California and
Team Canada is responding,” and he
concludes with, “Neighbours helping
neighbours.”
A spokeswoman for Sajjan confirms
in an email that Canada has received
and approved an official request for
help.
Alberta announced last week that it is
sending up to 40 wildland firefighters
with more personnel, waterbombers
and contracted night-vision helicopters
ready to deploy.
B.C.’s forests minister, meanwhile,
has said a crew from the province’s
wildfire service left for California on
Saturday afternoon to help battle the
wildfires ravaging the Los Angeles
area.
Quebec said Friday it will send two
more firefighting aircraft to Califor-
nia, a day after one of the province’s
water bombers collided with a drone
while battling the wildfires. The Can-
adian-made CL-415 was one of the
province’s two planes that was already
helping in the wildfire. Their crews
are sent to California every fall as part
of an annual contract that has been in
place for more than 30 years.
The massive fires have killed 24
people and 150,000 people in Los Angel-
es County are under evacuation orders.
Alberta’s Forestry and Parks Minis-
ter Todd Loewen said on social media
on Saturday that the 40 firefighters
from Alberta are a “trained and experi-
enced” crew of Type 1 wildland fire-
fighters.
“I have spoken directly to Cal Fire
and to the Governor’s Office of Emer-
gency Services to assure them that
Alberta is prepared to support them in
their ongoing efforts,” Loewen said in
his post.
Loewen said additional Type 1 fire-
fighters, incident command personnel,
and qualified support staff are ready to
go, if requested.
He added that Alberta is also pre-
paring its water bombers, pilots, and
contracted night-vision helicopters to
assist in California.
— The Canadian Press
;