Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - January 13, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Read the Winter 2024 issue at
winnipegfreepress.com/fp-features
Available at Manitoba Liquor Marts
- while supplies last!
P
I
C
K
U
P
Y
O
U
R
C
O
P
Y
T
O
D
A
Y
!
MANITOBA
W I N T E R 20 2 4
TOP MANITOBA
SKI SPOTS
MANITOBA’S PREMIER FOOD, DRINK AND LIFESTYLE MAGAZINE
INSIDE
SAVOUR
HOLIDAY
2024 ISSUE
DON'T MISS THE
MONDAY, JANUARY 13, 2025WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM ●
A5
NEWS I WORLD
Seoul confirms two North Korean prisoners captured
S
EOUL, South Korea — South
Korea’s intelligence service NIS
confirmed on Sunday Ukrainian
reports about two North Korean prison-
ers of war.
South Korea’s Yonhap news agency
reported that one of the captured sol-
diers stated during his interrogation
that he had not known he was being
sent to a war zone.
He had assumed that his deployment
was merely a training mission, Yonhap
reported. The soldier also stated that
the North Korean forces fighting on the
Russian side had suffered “significant
losses.”
The NIS has been closely co-operat-
ing with the Ukrainian secret service
since North Korea began sending sol-
diers to Russia.
North Korea is believed to have sent
around 12,000 soldiers to Russia to sup-
port its full-scale invasion of Ukraine,
launched in February 2022. Ukraine
says the North Korean fighters have
suffered heavy losses so far.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr
Zelenskyy said he expected more North
Korean fighters to be taken prisoner as
the fighting in the Kursk region con-
tinues.
“There should be no doubt left in the
world that the Russian army is depend-
ent on military assistance from North
Korea,” Zelenskyy said in a post on X,
attaching a short video of what appears
to be the two wounded prisoners.
Moscow is currently using North
Koreans to reinforce its units in the
counter-attack in Russia’s southern
Kursk region, parts of which Ukrainian
troops seized in a surprise offensive
last August.
According to estimates by both
Ukraine and the United States, the
North Korean troops are suffering
heavy losses there.
Kiev is prepared to hand over the
prisoners to North Korean ruler Kim
Jong Un if he organizes the release of
Ukrainian prisoners of war by Russia,
Zelenskyy said, but there are also other
options for North Korean soldiers if
they do not want to return.
The men had survived despite their
injuries and had been taken to Kiev,
where the Ukrainian secret service was
interrogating them, it was reported.
Zelenskyy stated that the press would
also be given access to the prisoners.
“The world must know the truth about
what is happening,” he said.
Under international humanitarian
law, prisoners of war may not be put
on public display. According to the Red
Cross, reports on prisoners of war are
not prohibited, but the captives should
not be identified.
It was not Zelenskyy’s first report
about captured North Korean soldiers.
However, previous prisoners of war
had died from their injuries, according
to Zelenskyy.
The Ukrainian armed forces mean-
while said they destroyed a Russian
command post in the occupied territor-
ies in the east of the country.
An airstrike was carried out after
appropriate reconnaissance against the
staff of the Russian Guard unit south-
east of Pokrowsk on the edge of the
Donbass, the Ukrainian general staff
said on Facebook on Sunday.
Both warring parties repeatedly
take targeted action against enemy
command centres if the necessary co-
ordinates are available — for example,
through radio reconnaissance or
through reconnaissance patrols in the
enemy rear.
Meanwhile in the southern Ukrain-
ian port city of Kherson, the supply
of electricity and district heating has
completely failed following a Rus-
sian artillery attack. Almost 23,000
households are without electricity, the
regional military administrator Roman
Mrochko announced on Telegram.
Repair crews have already been de-
ployed to repair the damage as quickly
as possible.
The Russian military repeatedly at-
tacks Ukraine’s energy infrastructure.
The repeated power and heating out-
ages in the middle of winter are in-
tended to put pressure on the Ukrain-
ian population.
— dpa
JANOS KUMMER / GETTY IMAGES / TNS
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy says he expects more North Korean fighters to be
taken prisoner as the fighting in the Kursk region continues.
Biden speaks with relatives of Americans held by Taliban
WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden
spoke Sunday with relatives of three
Americans the U.S. government is look-
ing to bring home from Afghanistan,
but no agreement has been reached on
a deal to get them back, family mem-
bers said.
Biden’s call with family members
of Ryan Corbett, George Glezmann
and Mahmood Habibi took place in
the waning days of his administration
as officials try to negotiate a deal that
could bring them home in exchange for
Muhammad Rahim, one of the remain-
ing detainees at Guantanamo Bay.
Corbett, who had lived in Afghan-
istan with his family at the time of the
2021 collapse of the U.S.-backed gov-
ernment, was abducted by the Taliban
in August 2022 while on a business trip
and Glezmann, an airline mechanic
from Atlanta, was taken by the Tali-
ban’s intelligence services in Decem-
ber 2022 while traveling through the
country.
Officials believe the Taliban is still
holding both men as well as Habibi, an
Afghan American businessman who
worked as a contractor for a Kabul-
based telecommunications company
and also went missing in 2022. The FBI
has said that Habibi and his driver were
taken along with 29 other employees
of the company, but that all except for
Habibi and another person have since
been freed.
The Taliban has denied that it has
Habibi, complicating talks with the U.S.
government and the prospect of finaliz-
ing a deal.
On the call Sunday, Biden told the
families that his administration would
not trade Rahim, who has been held
at Guantanamo since 2008, unless the
Taliban releases Habibi, according to
a statement from Habibi’s brother, Ah-
mad Habibi.
“President Biden was very clear in
telling us that he would not trade Rahim
if the Taliban do not let my brother go,”
the statement said. “He said he would
not leave him behind. My family is very
grateful that he is standing up for my
brother.”
Dennis Fitzpatrick, a lawyer acting
on behalf of Glezmann’s family, ex-
pressed dismay at the lack of progress,
saying in a statement, “President Biden
and his national security adviser are
choosing to leave George Glezmann
in Afghanistan. A deal is available to
bring him home. The White House’s in-
action in this case is inhumane.”
Ryan Fayhee, a lawyer acting on
behalf of Corbett’s relatives, said the
family was grateful to Biden for the call
but also implored him to act on the deal.
“A deal is now on the table and the de-
cision to accept it — as imperfect as it
may be — resides exclusively with the
president,” Fayhee said in a statement.
“Hard decisions make great presidents,
and we hope and believe that President
Biden will not let perfection be the ene-
my of the good when American lives
are at stake.”
The White House confirmed the
call with the families in a statement in
which it said they “discussed the U.S.
government’s continuing efforts to re-
unite these three Americans with their
families. The president emphasized
his administration’s commitment to
the cause of bringing home Americans
held hostage and wrongfully detained
overseas.” A spokesperson did not dir-
ectly address the complaint from the
families.
If a deal is not done before Jan. 20,
it would fall to the incoming Trump
administration to pick up negotiations,
though it’s unclear if officials would
take a different approach when it comes
to releasing a Guantanamo detainee the
U.S. government has deemed a danger.
Just 15 men remain at Guantanamo,
down from a peak of nearly 800 under
former president George W. Bush.
Rahim is one of just three remaining
detainees never charged but also never
deemed safe for the U.S. to even consid-
er transferring to other countries, as it
has done with hundreds of other Mus-
lim detainees brought to Guantanamo
but never charged.
The U.S. has described Rahim as a
direct adviser, courier and operative
for Osama bin Laden and other sen-
ior al-Qaida figures and a continuing
threat to U.S. national security, de-
spite never charging him or otherwise
formally making public any evidence
against Rahim in his 17 years at Guan-
tanamo.
Successive U.S. administrations have
kept Rahim under wraps to a degree
remarkable even for the military-run
detention at Guantanamo.
A case-review panel in periodic sec-
urity assessments has judged him a
lasting danger.
— The Associated Press
ERIC TUCKER
;