Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - January 16, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
TOP NEWS
A3 THURSDAY JANUARY 16, 2025 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
Province to appoint lead prosecutor for hate crimes
THE Jewish Federation of Winnipeg
and the National Council of Canadian
Muslims have welcomed Manitoba’s
plan to combat hate-motivated crimes
by appointing a special lead prosecutor
and providing more training for Crown
attorneys.
“Antisemitism and all forms of hate
have no place in our society, and we
welcome any initiative that strengthens
the tools available to combat and pros-
ecute them,” said federation spokes-
man Adam Levy.
Nusaiba Al-Azem, director of legal
affairs for the National Council of Can-
adian Muslims, called it an important
step.
“This, in fact, is a change that we’ve
advocated for at the federal govern-
ment and across the country for some
time — more training, a more system-
atic response,” she said.
Justice Minister Matt Wiebe an-
nounced the initiative Wednesday amid
a rise in reported hate crimes across
Canada. In Winnipeg, a recent spate
of antisemitic graffiti in Charleswood
resulted in mischief charges being laid
against a 19-year-old man. Premier
Wab Kinew described it as an “act of
hatred.”
The Manitoba Prosecution Service al-
ready has a hate-crime working group.
The announcement means a Crown at-
torney will be assigned to co-ordinate
its work, Wiebe said.
Hate crimes prosecutions can be
complex, so the province plans to pro-
vide Crown attorneys with additional
specialized training to enhance their
expertise and support the prosecution
of hate crimes, he said.
“We’re building on the resources and
expertise within our prosecution servi-
ces,” the minister said.
His plan came as news to Manitoba
prosecutors who say they’re “stretched
to the max” as it is.
“We support increased focus on this
complex work,” Manitoba Association
of Crown Attorneys president Chris-
tian Vanderhooft said Wednesday. “Un-
fortunately, (the association) found out
about this new role when the govern-
ment announced it this morning,” he
said by email.
“Placing new responsibilities on a
designated Crown attorney, at a time
when prosecutors are stretched to the
max, is concerning to our members,”
Vanderhooft said.
“We hope the government will step
up with additional resources to allow us
to effectively do this critical work.”
A number of Crown attorneys from
across Manitoba voluntarily partici-
pate in the working group, in addition
to their regular duties, he said.
Progressive Conservative Justice
Critic Wayne Balcaen, a former police
chief in Brandon, asked: “What is the
minister doing with the need for more
Crown prosecutors, other than giving
them more work and a title?”
Appointing a lead prosecutor and
providing specialized training may
help prosecutors “better navigate the
complexities and uniqueness of hate
crime cases, ensuring they are han-
dled with the sensitivity and precision
needed,” said Levy, who believes re-
cent incidents influenced the govern-
ment’s announcement.
“The recent string of antisemitic
graffiti in Charleswood and the charge
of (mischief) rather than a hate crime
highlights the challenges of prosecut-
ing hate-motivated acts under current
legal frameworks,” Levy said.
On Tuesday, Winnipeg police an-
nounced the accused had been arrested
Sunday and charged with 26 counts of
mischief under $5,000 for incidents
that happened between Sept. 28 and
Dec. 31.
Winnipeg police said mischief char-
ges were laid after consultation with
the Crown determined the graffiti
didn’t fit the Criminal Code definition
of a hate crime.
Proving that hate is a motivating fac-
tor behind a crime can be difficult, said
Kenneth Grad, an assistant professor of
law at the University of Manitoba.
Had the graffiti targeted a place of
worship, it could be considered a hate
crime, or if the Crown could prove the
graffiti was motivated by hate based on
the race, nationality, colour, religion,
sex, age, mental or physical disability
or sexual orientation of the victim, that
could result in a tougher sentence, he
said.
The province’s plan to direct more
attention and training toward prosecut-
ing hate-motivated crimes may help, he
said.
“It could have an effect that makes
the prosecution of crimes a little bit
easier or at least help obtain, perhaps,
more convictions,” he said. “It could
help just having people with more ex-
pertise dealing with these types of of-
fences.”
In Winnipeg, there were 178 po-
lice-reported hate crimes from 2017 to
2022.
In 2022, there were 3,576 hate-motiv-
ated crime incidents across Canada.
“Hate crimes are not just offences
against individuals,” Levy said Wed-
nesday. “They impact entire commun-
ities and undermine the values that we,
as Canadians, cherish.”
— with files from Erik Pindera
carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca
CAROL SANDERS
Truce would take effect Sunday, pending Israeli government approval
Gaza ceasefire raises hope for reprieve
J
ERUSALEM — After more than a
year of painstaking negotiations,
Israel and Hamas agreed Wednes-
day to a ceasefire deal in the Gaza Strip
that, if implemented, would see nearly
three dozen Israeli hostages reunited
with their families and give hungry and
displaced Palestinians a reprieve from
months of violence.
Israel’s government still needs to for-
mally approve the deal, in a vote offi-
cials say will take place Thursday mor-
ning. But the agreement could mark
a first step toward ending a 15-month
war that has destroyed Gaza and divid-
ed Israelis.
The truce, mediated by the U.S.,
Egypt and Qatar, would begin on Sun-
day and cover an initial period of 42
days.
“This is one of the toughest negotia-
tions I’ve ever experienced,” President
Joe Biden said Wednesday from the
White House. “And I’m deeply satis-
fied this day has come … for the sake
of the people of Israel and the families
waiting in agony, and for the sake of the
innocent people in Gaza who suffered
unimaginable devastation because of
the war.”
Under the first six-week phase of
what mediators hope will evolve into
a three-stage peace process, 33 of the
98 remaining Israeli hostages in Gaza
— mainly women, children, the elder-
ly and wounded — will be released
from Hamas captivity in exchange for
hundreds of Palestinians in Israeli de-
tention, in a carefully choreographed
sequence that will involve humanitar-
ian groups and co-ordination between
Hamas, Egypt and Israel.
Among the 33 captives slated for re-
lease are Americans Keith Siegel and
Sagui Dekel-Chen, said a senior ad-
ministration official, who spoke on the
condition of anonymity under rules set
by the White House. Dekel-Chen was
wounded in the Hamas attack on Oct.
7, 2023, and Siegel, 64, will be freed be-
cause of his age. A third U.S. citizen,
Edan Alexander, was abducted near
Gaza while serving in the Israeli mil-
itary and won’t be released until the
second phase of the ceasefire.
Hamas will release five female Is-
raeli soldiers in the first phase. The re-
mains of at least four more Americans
are also still in Gaza. “We are commit-
ted to getting the remains out,” the of-
ficial said.
Israel will withdraw troops from
some parts of Gaza and allow a surge
of humanitarian aid into the enclave,
where 90 per cent of the population,
or 1.9 million people, are displaced
in squalid conditions with little food,
water or shelter from the cold.
During the first phase, aid entering
Gaza is supposed to reach more than
500 trucks per day, State Department
spokesman Matthew Miller said Wed-
nesday — a more than sixfold increase
over the average number in December.
But even once the bombs stop falling,
steep challenges will remain in getting
lifesaving aid to civilians who need it,
including abiding lawlessness in Gaza,
destroyed roads and onerous Israeli
inspection processes for cargoes en-
tering the territory, aid workers say.
“This is a moment of hope and oppor-
tunity, but we should be under no illu-
sions how tough it will still be to get
support to survivors,” U.N. Under-Sec-
retary-General for Humanitarian Af-
fairs Tom Fletcher said in a statement.
“The stakes could not be higher.”
Israeli forces will remain in a buffer
zone along Gaza’s borders, Qatari Prime
Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman
Al Thani said in a news conference in
Doha, where negotiators spent the last
few days hammering out the deal. Af-
ter a week, if the truce holds, Palestin-
ian civilians sheltering in southern and
central Gaza will be allowed to return
to the north, which in recent months
has been decimated by intense Israeli
bombardment and clashes with Hamas
militants.
Since October, Israeli forces have be-
sieged the northernmost part of Gaza,
blocking most aid and forcing thou-
sands of residents to evacuate. Israel
divided the enclave into a north and
south with a line of fortified check-
points known as the Netzarim Corridor
just outside Gaza City, only occasional-
ly allowing humanitarians to cross into
northern areas.
Negotiations for Phase 2 of the deal
— during which the remaining living
hostages would be released and Israel
would withdraw completely from Gaza
— are supposed to begin in the coming
weeks. During Phase 3, Hamas would
return the bodies of hostages who were
killed and the reconstruction of Gaza
would begin.
The deal has offered hope in a con-
flict that has taken an immense human
toll: Israeli attacks have killed more
than 46,700 people in Gaza and injured
more than 110,200, according to the
Gaza Health Ministry, which does not
distinguish between civilians and com-
batants but says the majority of the
dead are women and children. Israel
estimates that about 1,200 people were
killed in Hamas’s Oct. 7, 2023 attack, in-
cluding more than 300 soldiers. It says
405 soldiers have been killed in its mil-
itary operation in Gaza.
Israeli officials have emphasized that
so far, the truce is a temporary pause.
The thorniest questions — including
who will govern and secure Gaza — re-
main unresolved, and negotiations over
these and other issues are expected to
begin later in the process.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin
Netanyahu’s office issued a statement
after the announcement insisting some
details still needed to be worked out.
Late Wednesday, the parties were still
arguing over high-profile prisoners to
be released under the deal, according
to an official familiar with the matter,
who spoke on the condition of anonym-
ity to discuss sensitive talks.
Netanyahu’s cabinet and members
of his coalition government must vote
Thursday to approve the deal. His far-
right allies in government, including
both Finance Minister Bezalel Smo-
trich and National Security Minister
Itamar Ben-Gvir, slammed the agree-
ment as a bad deal that spares Hamas
and threatened to withdraw from Net-
anyahu’s government.
Still, the prime minister is widely
expected to have enough votes to push
the deal through, and Israel’s Supreme
Court is expected to dismiss possible
legal challenges to the deal.
Leaders from mediating countries
appeared to dismiss the proceedings in
Israel as formalities. Qatar’s Moham-
med, Biden and Egyptian President
Abdel Fattah El-Sisi each declared
victory after months of negotiations
that repeatedly saw negotiators and
intelligence chiefs huddle in Middle
Eastern capitals, only to return home
empty-handed.
The mediators have temporarily
reconciled the opposed positions of Is-
rael and Hamas. Israel wanted to con-
tinue the fighting after a pause and
hostage-for-prisoner exchange, while
Hamas insisted on a permanent end to
the war before it would surrender any
captives.
But pressure on both parties pushed
them to close the gap. Netanyahu was
under fire from hostage families and
those who lost loved ones in the war. He
was also in potential legal peril abroad,
after the International Criminal Court
issued an arrest warrant accusing him
of war crimes and crimes against hu-
manity.
In Gaza, Hamas was severely weak-
ened after Israel killed its top lead-
ers and kneecapped regional allies.
Residents grew angry as they struggled
to survive the punishing campaign Is-
rael launched in response to the Hamas
attacks.
The deal largely aligns with the
phased approach Biden proposed in
May: An initial truce and hostage re-
lease is intended to lead to “sustainable
calm,” according to a joint statement by
Qatar, Egypt and the U.S. Those three
countries are meant to serve as guar-
antors of the deal. Mohammed said a
monitoring body would be established
in Cairo.
Biden and president-elect Donald
Trump each claimed credit for a dip-
lomatic achievement closed through
rare foreign policy collaboration be-
tween the outgoing and incoming ad-
ministrations. As Biden officials car-
ried out the formal diplomacy, Steve
Witkoff, Trump’s special envoy to the
Middle East, met with Netanyahu over
the weekend to pressure the Israeli
prime minister to agree to a deal before
Trump’s inauguration.
Biden said “this deal was developed
and negotiated under my administra-
tion” but that his officials had been
speaking “as one team” with their soon-
to-be successors in recent days.
Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya hailed
the deal as a triumph for the militant
group: “Today we prove that the occu-
pation will never defeat our people and
their resistance,” he said in a statement.
Hospitals in Israel are preparing to
receive hostages who may be malnour-
ished, injured or ill — and will certainly
be traumatized, Israeli media reported.
In Tel Aviv, where thousands have
gathered for months each Saturday
to protest the government’s failure to
bring the hostages home sooner, crowds
beat drums and chanted.
“I hope it will not just be a ceasefire
but a stop to the war,” said Benjamin
Terem, 65, from Tel Aviv. “We cannot
stay in this situation.”
— The Washington Post
CLAIRE PARKER, KAREN DEYOUNG,
GERRY SHIH, HAZEM BALOUSHA
AND HEBA FAROUK MAHFOUZ
OHAD ZWIGENBERG / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Relatives and friends of people killed and abducted by Hamas and taken into Gaza react to the ceasefire announcement as they take part in a demonstration in Tel Aviv Wednesday.
;