Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - January 17, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
FRIDAY JANUARY 17, 2025 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
SECTION B
CONNECT WITH WINNIPEG’S NO. 1 NEWS SOURCE
▼
CITY
●
BUSINESS
Historic building joins long list of burned-out Main Street properties
Sutherland Hotel remains add to inner-city blight
A
140-YEAR-OLD building in the
heart of Winnipeg’s inner city
has been reduced to rubble, leav-
ing another gaping hole along a stretch
of Main Street that community mem-
bers say is being abandoned by the city.
The charred remains of the Suther-
land Hotel rose only a few feet high off
the ground on Thursday morning, hav-
ing been demolished overnight, hours
after a fire ravaged the vacant three-
story building on Wednesday.
“It’s just sad,” said Cindy Tugwell,
executive director of Heritage Winni-
peg. “Our built heritage is stories about
our city and our life and our history. It’s
the soul of our city. And we lose a piece
of our identity, I believe, when we lose
these buildings.”
A section of Sutherland Avenue was
taped off Thursday, blackened by the
soot and residue from the blaze and
demolition efforts.
The hotel was shuttered last summer
after another fire, and had fell victim to
others over the years.
Within eyesight just a few blocks east
stood the gutted remains of the Vulcan
Iron Works building that suffered a
similar fate last May.
A couple of blocks north down Main,
another building — Holy Ascension
Greek Orthodox Church — was brought
to its knees by an inferno a week ago.
In between are empty lots where
buildings, including Surplus Direct,
once stood before they, too, met a fiery
demise.
Data provided in December showed
the city battled 182 fires on vacant
properties between January and Sep-
tember 2024, eclipsing 2023’s rate of
156 fires.
At the time, Winnipeg Fire Para-
medic Service deputy fire chief Scott
Wilkinson said the city was on track to
exceed 200 vacant building fires for the
year.
“It’s a crisis,” Tugwell said of the va-
cant buildings. “If you’re in the north
Main area, whether you’re a business
or you live there, I’d be very alarmed to
want to stay.”
Some struggle with the choice.
Di Brandt has lived on Austin Street,
just behind the Sutherland Hotel, for
more than a decade.
Her original attraction to the area
was affordable home prices. Soon after
moving in, she found a vibrant, multi-
cultural neighbourhood with dozens of
artists like herself, living in close prox-
imity.
“It gets so many alarming headlines,
and it is a troubled area,” she said.
SCOTT BILLECK
● FIRE, CONTINUED ON B2
Specialized centre a system-wide example?
A SPECIALIZED clinic at Winni-
peg’s Health Sciences Centre could
be a model for delivering same-day,
specific care across Manitoba, its
medical director says.
For five years, the Wilf Taillieu
Thoracic Surgery Clinic and Endos-
copy Unit at HSC has diagnosed, treat-
ed and operated on patients suffering
from esophageal cancer, lung cancer
and other conditions.
The clinic takes same-day refer-
rals and biopsies and can diagnose
certain types of cancer in as few as
two weeks. Prior to the clinic’s exist-
ence, some conditions took up to eight
weeks to diagnose.
“You will never find an interven-
tion like this that is universally kind
of a win, win, win,” said Dr. Biniam
Kidane.
In 2018, before the clinic opened,
HSC performed 524 related proced-
ures. Last year, clinic surgeons per-
formed 1,275 operations.
The clinic was funded by a $3.5-mil-
lion donation campaign and operation-
al support from the HSC Foundation
and is publicly operated. It is the only
thoracic surgery clinic in Canada.
The medical centre is named for
the late owner of Taillieu Construc-
tion, whose wife, Mavis Taillieu, was
instrumental in fundraising efforts.
Wilf Taillieu died in 2016 of esopha-
geal cancer. He was 67.
Prior to the unit’s opening, HSC
was short on capacity to diagnose
and treat cancer patients, and those
needing immediate care could only go
to an emergency room. Patients with
scheduled thoracic surgeries would
often get bumped for more immedi-
ately life-threatening cases.
“Five years ago I would say we were
middle of the pack for Canada for this
type of care … but now with this clin-
ic, I think we’re sort of top of the pack
in Canada. I would say we’re right up
there delivering Mayo Clinic-level
care,” he said.
Kidane, who was recruited to Win-
nipeg from Toronto to oversee the
clinic, said the success of it is proof
that prioritizing specialized care can
impact the entire health-care system.
“It reduces emergency wait times,
emergency room utilization, health-
care utilization, so it saves money for
(the province), it improves the quality
of life for the patients, they feel way
better, and they actually feel like hu-
mans,” he said.
Lung and esophageal cancer rates
are on the rise in Manitoba and the
clinic helps to intervene on the dis-
ease early for higher success rates,
Dr. Sadeesh Srinathan, head of thor-
acic surgery at HSC, said in a news
release.
According to CancerCare Mani-
toba’s most recent available numbers,
910 Manitobans were diagnosed with
lung or bronchus cancer in 2021. In
Canada, the five-year survival rate
for lung cancer is 22 per cent.
Kidane would like to see the clinic’s
model replicated across the medical
system.
“What this shows is it’s a microcosm
of what can be accomplished when
you focus in on what a population or
a group of patients need, and then de-
sign the system around it,” he said.
nicole.buffie@freepress.mb.ca
HSC facility providing ‘Mayo Clinic-level care’
NICOLE BUFFIE
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
Dr. Biniam Kidane in a procedure room at the Wilf Taillieu Thoracic Surgery Clinic and Endoscopy Unit in the Health Sciences Centre.
Committee votes to set aside cash for Arlington Bridge
THE City of Winnipeg could soon ear-
mark $30 million to complete the first
steps toward replacing the Arlington
Bridge.
On Thursday, council’s public works
committee approved a plan to devote
future money to fund the demolition of
the bridge, which is closed, and com-
plete design work for its replacement.
The motion called to authorize $20
million of capital funding in 2026 and to
allow the funds to be accessed this year
as a “first charge” from that future
budget. The proposal also calls to add
$10 million to the 2027 capital budget
forecast for the project, pending city
council and future budget approvals.
“It’s a critical link to allow transit to
go north and south. … I’m a big trades
corridor supporter, and this will allow
trucking and more vehicles. … There’s
a huge component of active transporta-
tion, both north and south of the Arling-
ton Bridge and people will be using it,”
said Coun. Janice Lukes, chairwoman
of public works, prior to the vote.
The Waverley West councillor ex-
pects the city would take on debt to
fund the work, if council approves the
proposal. Lukes said the borrowing is
justified, deeming the bridge replace-
ment a “generational project.”
“I’ve heard a lot of feedback on the
importance of the Arlington Bridge,”
she said.
The preliminary 2025 budget did not
earmark money for the bridge replace-
ment.
Coun. Ross Eadie (Mynarski) raised
the motion for the funding, arguing the
city must get work started to replace
the “critical” transportation link.
“The motion will be to keep the pro-
ject moving forward, with continuous
design and planning. If we just didn’t
fund anything right now, it would lie
dead and there would be no work done
because there’s just no authority to
spend money,” Eadie said.
In November, the city released a pro-
posal to replace the bridge at its cur-
rent location. It would cost $166 million,
plus up to $27 million more in interest,
and require six years to build.
However, the city had just $149 mil-
lion left to borrow within its council-im-
posed debt strategy when that estimate
was released.
Eadie hopes to secure at least some
of the funding from the other levels of
governments.
The Arlington Bridge, which opened
in 1912, closed suddenly on Nov. 21,
2023, due to structural concerns.
The latest price estimate to replace
the bridge plummeted from a 2019 pro-
posal, which was expected to cost $319
million and offer a much wider, three-
lane structure with two protected one-
way bike lanes and two sidewalks. The
new cheaper plan would produce a nar-
rower, two-lane bridge with two shared,
multi-use active-transportation paths.
Council will cast a final vote on the
budget on Jan. 29.
joyanne.pursaga@freepress.mb.ca
X: @joyanne_pursaga
JOYANNE PURSAGA
No parole for 18 years for
‘Jekyll-and-Hyde’ character
Life
sentence
for killing
gang rival
ERIK PINDERA
A “JEKYLL-AND-HYDE character”
who was considered a role model in
his community was sentenced to life in
prison Thursday without the possibility
of parole for 18 years for fatally shoot-
ing a gang rival on a downtown Winni-
peg street.
Gunni Abdi Hassen, 27, was convicted
last fall of second-degree murder in the
death of Abdulwasi Ahmed, 30, who was
shot in the forehead on Garry Street on
Feb. 9, 2022, during a shootout sparked
by a beef over drug turf.
Hassen, clad in a bow tie, dark suit
and shackled feet, showed no visible
emotion as he heard his sentence read.
“He was seen as a stellar citizen by
family and friends, but as a drug-deal-
ing killer by facts established at trial,”
said Court of King’s Bench Justice
Chris Martin of the difficulty of assess-
ing Hassen’s character when determin-
ing his parole ineligibility.
The sentence was just shy of the 20
years sought by Crown prosecutor
Libby Standil. The minimum sentence
for second-degree murder is life with-
out a chance at parole for 10 years.
Hassen came to the country as an
Eritrean refugee at age 11 and did well
academically and socially.
He worked for the Immigrant and
Refugee Community Organization of
Manitoba — which, ironically, included
being a facilitator for a gang prevention
program, said Martin — and was inter-
ested in becoming a firefighter.
He was described as a commun-
ity-minded person in support letters
filed in court, with people who knew
him expressing shock at the charge.
Standil argued those plaudits were a
smokescreen to obscure who he really
was.
Defence lawyer Evan Roitenberg had
asked for 12 years of parole ineligibil-
ity, arguing Hassen fell into a lifestyle
“that he wasn’t proud of” and hid it
from friends, family and co-workers
out of shame, having fallen prey to the
lure of easy money and the “siren song”
of unsavoury acquaintances.
“In the end, Mr. Hassen appears to
be a Jekyll-and-Hyde character,” said
Martin. “Even in court, sitting in the
prisoner’s box wearing a suit and bow
tie, he was well dressed and mannered
… with a gentle … demeanour.”
Martin said that was the opposite of
the expression shown in his 2022 po-
lice photo and his criminal lifestyle as
a “menacing drug dealer who was able
to arm himself with a loaded handgun,
and for unknown reasons, chose … to
kill another east African gangster in a
wild shootout.”
At trial, court heard evidence that the
two gangs had been sparring over drug
dealing and there had been “tit-for-tat
violence and killings” since 2019.
Hassen and other members of his
gang were doing dial-a-dealer drug
sales, packaging crack cocaine in a Mc-
Dermot Avenue apartment suite, before
two caretakers there would drive them
to drug deals the night of the slaying,
court heard.
● SLAYING, CONTINUED ON B2
;