Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - January 18, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
GIANT
WAREHOUSE
FURNITURE
SALE
75
%
OFF
UP
TO
SAT 10 – 5 & SUN 12 - 4
SECTIONALS | SOFAS | CHAIRS
BEDROOM & DINING FURNITURE
ARTWORK | LIGHTING | RUGS
• One & two bedroom suites
• Weekly housekeeping
• Continental Breakfast, Dinner
• Planned activities
• In-suite washer & dryer
• Guest Suite
• Private Dining Room
• Shuttle bus
• Daily security check
• Spacious suites with balconies
• Full kitchen with fridge, stove
and microwave
One
bedrooms
available
45 Boulton Bay
Conveniently located at the end of Boulton Bay,
south of Grant Ave. in River Heights.
ASK US ABOUT OUR MOVE-IN INCENTIVES!
SATURDAY, JANUARY 18, 2025WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM ●
A7
NEWS I CITY / PROVINCE
‘They should have kept him
and made sure he was safe’
A
33-YEAR-OLD father who was
fatally shot by a Manitoba RCMP
officer Tuesday had sought care
for his mental health struggles multiple
times, but didn’t get the help he needed,
his wife has told the Free Press.
Chelsea Lakatos-Wiebe said her hus-
band Cory Wiebe’s most recent hospital
visit was five days before he was shot,
while he experienced a mental health
crisis at their home in Dominion City,
about 75 kilometres south of Winnipeg.
“They’d give him meds and let him
go,” Lakatos-Wiebe said about his trips
to rural hospitals. “He was crying for
help and he wanted them to put him
somewhere, but they pushed him away.”
Lakatos-Wiebe said the health-care
system failed her husband and she
called on the Manitoba government to
improve access to care.
“They failed him, but they also failed
all these children. He was their hero,”
she said.
She said Wiebe, originally from Win-
nipeg, was a loving husband and fath-
er, who leaves behind seven children
between the ages of two and 14. The
couple had one child together and three
each from previous relationships.
“He always made sure everyone was
taken care of and loved, even though he
was hurting,” Lakatos-Wiebe said.
The shooting happened outside the
family home when officers from the
Morris detachment responded to a well-
ness call at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Lakatos-Wiebe said she had called
911 to request an ambulance, and then
asked police to respond, to seek help
for her husband, who was in a state of
crisis.
The Independent Investigation Unit
of Manitoba, a civilian police watch-
dog, is investigating the shooting. The
watchdog said it was informed by
RCMP that the first officer to arrive
was waiting for backup when they were
allegedly confronted by a man who
came out of a garage and advanced to-
ward the officer with a metal object in
his hand.
“Despite repeated commands to stop
and drop the weapon, the male con-
tinued towards the officer, who then
discharged his firearm,” a separate
RCMP news release said.
The officer performed CPR until
paramedics, who were staged nearby,
arrived and took over, the IIU said.
A STARS air ambulance airlifted
Wiebe to hospital, where he died, RCMP
said.
RCMP confirmed that officers from
the Morris detachment are not yet
equipped with body-worn cameras. A
provincewide rollout that began in Nov-
ember is expected to take 18 months.
Lakatos-Wiebe, 31, was in the house,
where she had an obstructed view when
the shooting happened. She said she has
questions about how the call was han-
dled and the level of force used.
The couple, who were due to cele-
brate their second wedding anniver-
sary in February, had been together
for five years. Wiebe, a diamond driller
whose job took him out of province for
weeks at a time, was the family’s sole
provider, his wife said.
She said Wiebe had a long battle
with mental health issues, which were
exacerbated when the family was dis-
placed by an accidental fire at their
home nearly two years ago.
They moved back about two months
ago, after their home was rebuilt.
Lakatos-Wiebe said she continuously
encouraged her husband to seek help,
which resulted in several visits to rural
hospitals. “He wanted to get help, but he
needed that push to go,” she said.
She said she accompanied him to
Boundary Trails Health Centre, located
between Morden and Winkler, on Jan. 9,
after she urged him to seek treatment
for physical and mental health issues.
Lakatos-Wiebe said Wiebe, whose
diagnoses included bipolar disor-
der, told hospital staff he had suicidal
thoughts. She questioned why he wasn’t
admitted to a facility for mental health
care.
“They should have kept him and
made sure he was safe,” she said.
Lakatos-Wiebe said her husband was
given medication and a prescription
for additional tablets. “He said, ‘I told
you I wasn’t going to get the help,’” she
said. “I was a hot mess because I knew I
could only do so much for him.”
Lakatos-Wiebe said improvements
are needed to ensure Manitobans get
mental health care when they need it.
“I’m disgusted with the system,” she
said.
In separate statements, Mental
Health Minister Bernadette Smith and
Southern Health offered condolences.
“While I can’t comment on the specif-
ics as there is an active investigation,
we know too many families and com-
munities are affected by the loss of a
loved one who have struggled with their
mental health,” Smith said. “It is clear
that there is a need for more mental
health services in rural health-care fa-
cilities and communities, that’s why we
have committed to hiring more mental
health workers in our province.”
A Southern Health spokesperson said
a patient safety team is conducting a
review. “We are unable to provide any
further information until the review is
complete,” the spokesperson said.
A GoFundMe page was set up to pro-
vide financial support to the family.
The widow, who is planning her hus-
band’s funeral, said she doesn’t know
how she will raise the kids without him.
“He loved his family. He was truly a
good person,” she said.
The IIU has asked witnesses to call
investigators at 1-844-667-6060.
chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca
CHRIS KITCHING
‘He was crying for help and
he wanted them to put
him somewhere, but they
pushed him away’
— Chelsea Lakatos-Wiebe, on her late husband,
Cory Wiebe
Two arrested, two sought
in armed carjacking
A 43-YEAR-OLD man was carjacked
at gunpoint on William Avenue early
Wednesday.
Winnipeg police said the man was in
a parking lot on the 500 block of Wil-
liam at about 6:30 a.m., when a suspect,
who was armed with a sawed-off shot-
gun, demanded he hand over cash and
property.
The suspect made off with the man’s
keys and stole his Hyundai Santa Fe,
peeling out of the lot. The victim wasn’t
injured.
About two hours later, officers saw
the vehicle at Sargent Avenue and Fur-
by Street and tried to pull it over. The
driver fled and hit a city bus and a po-
lice vehicle, police say.
Traffic officers found the vehicle at
Kate Street near McDermot Avenue
and witnessed four people running
away.
Officers arrested two suspects while
two others remain at large. Police found
the sawed-off shotgun in the vehicle.
Dregus Young, 23, is charged with
armed robbery using a firearm and
other offences, including two probation
order breaches and dangerous driving.
Kayla Nepinak, 24, is charged with pos-
sessing stolen property and firearms
offences.
Both were detained.
Court records show Young and Ne-
pinak have a history of committing rob-
bery and violent incidents.
In December 2020 in Thompson,
Young was given just shy of two years
in jail, minus time served, for robbery
with a weapon, mischief to property
and failing to comply with a court or-
der that he not possess weapons for
offences he committed in May of that
year.
He was banned from owning weapons
for 10 years, which has subsequently
been upgraded to a lifetime ban.
Young has been convicted of assault-
ing two peace officers in separate inci-
dents, assault with a weapon and a court
order breach for possessing weapons.
In Dauphin in October 2020, Nepinak
was convicted of aggravated assault
and possession of a stolen car in rela-
tion to an incident nine months earlier.
She was given 15 months in jail, minus
time served, and banned from possess-
ing weapons for 10 years.
fpcity@freepress.mb.ca
No charges for SCO chief in Ottawa bar fight
SOUTHERN Chiefs’ Organization
Grand Chief Jerry Daniels will not be
charged in connection with an alterca-
tion outside an Ottawa bar last month.
Ottawa Police Service spokeswoman
Const. Cailey Walker said the case “is
considered closed” but could be re-
opened if new information is brought
forward.
“We did investigate and at this point
the file has been closed. That’s really
all I can say.”
Multiple sources had told the Free
Press that Daniels and at least one
member of a Manitoba First Nation
were involved in an altercation outside
a bar. Daniels was taken to hospital and
treated.
At the time, Ottawa police confirmed
they were sent to the ByWard Market
on Dec. 3 at 2:30 a.m., and a man had
been taken to hospital. They said the
matter was still under investigation and
no charges had been laid.
Daniels took a leave of absence af-
ter the incident and Lake Manitoba
First Nation Chief Cornell McLean
was named acting grand chief. Daniels
apologized on Dec. 20, saying he was
seeking treatment for alcohol use.
“I will do better,” he said in a state-
ment. “The past few weeks have been a
wake-up call and I recognize the need
for change in my lifestyle.
“Just like anyone who faces the shame
of having personal struggles laid bare,
I wish I had been honest sooner about
my challenges with alcohol.”
Daniels also said he was committed
to entering a program that included
both alcohol treatment and traditional
ceremony.
The leave of absence was to end on
Jan. 6. An official with SCO could not
be reached for comment to confirm
whether Daniels is back at work.
kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca
KEVIN ROLLASON
Widow of man killed by Mountie angry with health-care system
;