Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - January 27, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Ma
r
k
e
t
ALL PROCEEDS FROM THIS EVENT SUPPORT
$5 ENTRY / KIDS UNDER 12 FREE
LGCA # 750-RF-46735, 750-RF-46703, 750-RF-46734, 750-RF-46734
This Weekend!
FEBRUARY 1 & 2
10 AM TO 4 PM – BOTH DAYS
ASSINIBOIA DOWNS – 3975 PORTAGE AVE
*
ANTIQUES
*
COLLECTIBLES
*
CRAFTS
*
Door Prize: 65” RCA SMART TV
PLAYER’S CHOICE RAFFLE
*
50/50
MONDAY, JANUARY 27, 2025WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM ●
A5
NEWS I LOCAL / CANADA
PHOTOS BY JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS
IT’S SNOW
AMAZING!
People enjoy the Guin-
ness Book of World
Record’s largest snow
maze at A Maze In
Corn Sunday.
The St. Adolphe facility
celebrated its opening
this weekend.
The attractions include
snow carvings and
buildings, sleigh rides, a
slide-down snow moun-
tain, bonfire and giant
luge run.
Arya says he’s out of
Liberal leadership
race as Carney gets
more caucus support
O
TTAWA — One of the seven Lib-
eral leadership hopefuls says the
party is not allowing him to run,
as another high-profile cabinet minis-
ter endorsed Mark Carney on Sunday.
Ontario member of Parliament Chan-
dra Arya said the Liberal party in-
formed him he’s out of the running to
be its next leader.
Arya, who was the first to announce
his candidacy to replace Prime Minis-
ter Justin Trudeau, said Sunday that he
was waiting on official communication
from the Liberals and considering his
next steps.
“This decision raises significant
questions about the legitimacy of the
leadership race and, by extension, the
legitimacy of the next prime minister
of Canada,” Arya said in a social media
statement.
Arya did not elaborate on his con-
cerns or provide reasons the party gave
for declining his candidacy. He did not
immediately return phone calls and
messages later Sunday.
Liberal party spokesman Parker
Lund confirmed Arya would not be a
candidate, citing a section of the na-
tional leadership rules that state a pro-
spective candidate can be disqualified
if they are found to be “manifestly unfit
for the office” of leader.
That could be “due to public state-
ments, past improper conduct, a lack
of commitment to democracy, or other
reputational or legal jeopardy,” the
rules say.
Lund did not say what specifically led
to Arya being removed from the race.
Arya was one of seven people who
submitted paperwork and a refundable
$50,000 deposit last week to enter the
race.
Former finance minister Chrystia
Freeland and former Bank of Canada
governor Mark Carney are widely seen
as the front-runners.
Former Government House leader
Karina Gould, MP Jaime Battiste and
former MPs Ruby Dhalla and Frank
Baylis have also submitted the paper-
work to enter the race. The party has
up to 10 days to approve the candidates.
Industry Minister François-Philippe
Champagne was the latest cabinet min-
ister to endorse Carney as the pair cam-
paigned in Champagne’s home riding of
Saint-Maurice—Champlain on Sunday.
“We have the same economic vision,”
Champagne told reporters in French at
a dairy farm in St-Tite, Que.
He referred to the threat of tariffs
from U.S. President Donald Trump,
saying the country faces an unpreced-
ented moment.
Champagne also said he wants to
defend the French language and it’s
important for the next party leader to
speak both official languages.
None of the Liberal leadership can-
didates are francophones and Quebec’s
78 seats in the House of Commons are
critical for winning a federal election.
Arya made headlines early on in
the race for saying he does not speak
French and suggesting in an interview
with the CBC that he didn’t think it was
important to Quebecers that the prime
minister speak the language.
Carney has secured the support of
several high-profile Liberals from the
province, including Foreign Affairs
Minister Mélanie Joly, Labour Minister
Steven MacKinnon and Environment
Minister Steven Guilbeault.
Carney’s list of cabinet endorse-
ments also includes Defence Minister
Bill Blair, Transport Minister Anita
Anand and Housing Minister Nate Ers-
kine-Smith.
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre
shared an open letter to Carney on
social media on Sunday, saying the
Liberals are holding a leadership race
because “Canadians were done with
Justin Trudeau” and his government.
Poilievre challenged Carney to commit
to “banning any prior Trudeau minister
from serving in (his) cabinet” should he
win the leadership contest.
Asked about Poilievre’s comments,
Carney said he thinks Canadians and
Quebecers want change.
“They want us to put the emphasis on
the economy,” he said in French. “There
will be a change with my government.”
Carney also said he will “100 per
cent” run as a Liberal candidate in the
next election regardless of the outcome
of the leadership race.
That was one of the demands from
Freeland, who on Friday released an
open letter to candidates asking them
to pledge that they will run in the next
election and to hold four leadership de-
bates, two in each official language, as
soon as possible.
Freeland is also set to make a pitch
to francophone voters on Sunday, when
she is scheduled to appear on the popu-
lar Radio-Canada talk show Tout le
monde en parle.
The former finance minister has
support from a number of her caucus
colleagues, including Health Minis-
ter Mark Holland, Fisheries Minister
Diane Lebouthillier and Justice Minis-
ter Arif Virani.
The deadline for registering to vote
in the leadership contest is Monday.
Candidates have to submit their full
entry fee of $350,000 by Feb. 17.
The Liberals are set to choose the
party’s next leader on March 9.
— The Canadian Press
SARAH RITCHIE
JUSTIN TANG / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES
‘This decision raises
significant questions
about the legitimacy of
the leadership race and,
by extension, the legit-
imacy of the next prime
minister of Canada’
—Liberal MP Chandra Arya in a social media
statement
;