Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - February 5, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
SERVING MANITOBA SINCE 1872. FOREVER WITH YOUR SUPPORT.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2025
WEATHER
LIGHT SNOW. HIGH -14 — LOW -16
SPORTS
JETS BEAT CANES, PUSH STREAK TO SEVEN / D1
Trump
wants 1.8M
Gazans
kicked out
WASHINGTON — U.S. President
Donald Trump on Tuesday suggested
that displaced Palestinians in Gaza
be permanently resettled outside the
war-torn territory and proposed the
U.S. take “ownership” in redeveloping
the area.
Trump’s audacious proposal appears
certain to roil the next stage of talks
meant to extend the tenuous ceasefire
between Israel and Hamas and secure
the release of the remaining hostages
held in Gaza.
The provocative comments came as
talks are ramping up this week with
the promise of surging humanitarian
aid and reconstruction supplies to help
the people of Gaza recover after more
than 15 months of devastating conflict.
Now Trump wants to push about 1.8
million people to leave the land they
have called home and claim it for the
U.S., perhaps with American troops.
Trump outlined his thinking as he
held talks with Israeli Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu at the White
House, where the two leaders also dis-
cussed the fragile ceasefire and hos-
tage deal in the Israeli-Hamas conflict
and shared concerns about Iran.
“I don’t think people should be going
back,” Trump said. “You can’t live
in Gaza right now. I think we need
another location. I think it should be
a location that’s going to make people
happy.”
Trump said the U.S. would take
ownership of the Gaza Strip and rede-
velop it after Palestinians are resettled
elsewhere and turn the territory into
“the Riviera of the Middle East” in
which the “world’s people”— including
Palestinians — would live.
“We’ll make sure that it’s done world
class,” Trump said. “It’ll be wonderful
for the people — Palestinians, Palestin-
ians mostly, we’re talking about.”
Egypt, Jordan and other U.S. allies in
the Middle East have cautioned Trump
that relocating Palestinians from Gaza
would threaten Middle East stability,
risk expanding the conflict and under-
mine a decades-long push by the U.S.
and allies for a two-state solution.
Still, Trump insists the Palestinians
“have no alternative” but to leave the
“big pile of rubble” that is Gaza. He
spoke out as his top aides stressed that
a three- to five-year timeline for recon-
struction of the war-torn territory, as
laid out in a temporary truce agree-
ment, is not viable.
Last week, both Egyptian President
Abdel Fattah el-Sissi and Jordanian
King Abdullah II dismissed Trump’s
calls to resettle Gazans.
But Trump said he believes Egypt
and Jordan — as well as other coun-
tries, which he did not name — will ul-
timately agree to take in Palestinians.
“You look over the decades, it’s all
death in Gaza,” Trump said. “This
has been happening for years. It’s all
death. If we can get a beautiful area to
resettle people, permanently, in nice
homes where they can be happy and
not be shot and not be killed and not be
knifed to death like what’s happening
in Gaza.”
Trump also said he isn’t ruling
out deploying U.S. troops to support
reconstruction of Gaza. He envisions
“long-term” U.S. ownership of a rede-
velopment of the territory.
AAMER MADHANI,
ZEKE MILLER
AND TIA GOLDENBERG
● GAZA, CONTINUED ON A2
Ottawa, province put $80 million towards northern sea route
Tariff threat gives Churchill boost
M
ANITOBA’S waterway link to
European trade — the Port of
Churchill — was the recipient
of nearly $80 million in funding an-
nounced one day after Canada avoided
sweeping tariffs by U.S. President
Donald Trump.
“The timing couldn’t be more per-
fect,” Premier Wab Kinew said Tues-
day, standing beside federal ministers
and Port of Churchill leadership.
Building up Canada’s only deep-wa-
ter Arctic seaport connected to rail
benefits Canadians on several levels,
the premier said: it bolsters the local
economy, creates a new trade route to
global markets and shows the U.S. that
Manitoba has an Arctic presence.
“Arctic security is something we’re
both interested in,” Kinew said. “I
look forward to hopefully being able to
take some of our American friends to
Churchill soon and show off this great
port, this amazing asset.”
The funds, tabbed jointly by Mani-
toba and Ottawa, builds on decades of
investment in the area, Kinew said.
Last year, the two governments
committed $60 million to begin port
upgrades and finish the Hudson Bay
Railway’s stabilization.
The feds have invested $277 million
over the past six years to restore the
railway and port. The rail line runs
from The Pas to Churchill. The port
makes Manitoba a “Maritime prov-
ince,” politicians say, because it leads
to the ocean.
“In these unpredictable times …
investing in the North, in the Arctic is
more important than ever,” said Dan
Vandal, MP for Saint Boniface–Saint
Vital.
GABRIELLE PICHÉ
● PORT, CONTINUED ON A2
● TACKLING TARIFFS / A3, 4
Governments flex muscle at border crossing
EMERSON — Federal Public Safety
Minister David McGuinty and
Premier Wab Kinew used the Cana-
da-U.S. border as a backdrop Tues-
day to tout the creation of a “fentanyl
czar,” who will work with the U.S. to
curb drug trafficking.
The two leaders were in Emerson
to sell the new position as a way to
boost border safety, one day after
U.S. President Donald Trump post-
poned 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian
goods for at least a month.
“The interpretation of today is Ca-
nadians should know we have a very
strong border, and we’re making it
stronger,” McGuinty said.
“Canadians should know we’re
co-operating between different
orders of government. Canadians
should know that their efforts to
stand up for Canada are not in vain.”
McGuinty, Kinew and Terry
Duguid, the federal cabinet minister
for Prairies Economic Development
Canada, spoke to members of law
enforcement agencies at the event,
including the Canadian Border
Services Agency, RCMP, Manitoba
Conservation and Manitoba First Na-
tions Police Service. A federal border
officer demonstrated the use of a
machine that detects dozens of items,
including drugs and explosives.
While Kinew didn’t take questions
from the media at the show-and-tell,
he did talk about the issue at a news
conference later in the day.
The premier, who has spoken about
“Trump-proofing” the economy, said
it’s his responsibility to keep Manito-
bans safe.
“I don’t know anyone out there that
would say Donald Trump and I are
two peas in a pod, but if we share an
interest in cracking down on drug
trafficking in our respective juris-
dictions, then I think we both pursue
that at the same time.”
The event was supposed to include
a demonstration of one of Canada’s
new Black Hawk border patrol units,
but that was cancelled at the last
minute without explanation. Canada
has invested $1.3-billion on border
security in response to Trump’s
rhetoric about cross-border drug
trafficking.
Despite the hiccup, McGuinty
said the event was not just to send a
message to Trump.
SCOTT BILLECK
MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS
Federal Public Safety Minister David McGuinty (at mic), Prairies Economic Development Minister Terry Duguid (centre) and Premier Wab Kinew (left) address border security Tuesday.
A WINNIPEG man arrested for
human smuggling last year is
back in custody accused of traf-
ficking more migrants while he
was on bail.
Abdi Ali, 31, was denied bail
Monday by provincial court Judge
Margaret Wiebe.
“Mr. Ali was already released
on conditions, and he flagrantly
ignored the condition to remain
in Winnipeg and was found at the
border in the company of illegal
migrants,” Wiebe said. “I fail
to see how he can be trusted on
another form of release.”
Court heard Ali was driving
north from the area of the Em-
erson border crossing, headed to
Winnipeg, when RCMP pulled him
over for speeding on Feb. 22, 2024.
Eight foreign nationals, all with
passports from the Republic of
Chad, were in Ali’s van.
Police released Ali with a warn-
ing, but after learning he had been
a suspect in two smuggling inci-
dents in the area, followed him to
Winnipeg, where he was arrested
that same day.
Questioned by police, Ali, who
was found in possession of $2,300
in U.S. currency, claimed he
had picked up the passengers in
Blumenort, where they had been
staying for 15 days in a farmer’s
shed.
Court documents filed in a civil
forfeiture proceeding say Ali told
police he was an Uber driver and
was taking his passengers to a
shelter.
DEAN PRITCHARD
Accused human smuggler, 31,
arrested again while out on bail
● BORDER, CONTINUED ON A2
● ARREST, CONTINUED ON A2
;