Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - February 5, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 5, 2025 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
SECTION B
CONNECT WITH WINNIPEG’S NO. 1 NEWS SOURCE
▼
CITY
●
BUSINESS
City can’t afford to pay for proposed rec centre project on its own
Transcona pool dream treading water
A
PROPOSAL to build Winnipeg’s
first new indoor pool in more
than 40 years has been ranked as
a key recreation priority but would re-
quire plenty of financial help to become
a reality.
The East of the Red RecPlex would
feature a lap pool, leisure pool, lazy
river, water slides, gymnasiums, fit-
ness space, a walking/running track,
café, community kitchen and gathering
spaces at a site next to the Transcona
Library, if approved.
Outdoor play areas, an outdoor
basketball half-court and a “potential”
74-space child care centre are also
being considered, due to recent public
feedback, a city report notes.
Coun. Jeff Browaty (North Kildonan)
said the aquatic centre is a key recrea-
tion priority for the Transcona area.
“In terms of indoor pools, that quad-
rant certainly needs one. The (popu-
lation) has really exploded in recent
years” said Browaty.
Ideally, the project could also create
room for more swimming lessons, since
many city-run classes fill up within
minutes after registration starts, he
noted.
The project would create the first
new city-owned indoor pool since the
Margaret Grant and Eldon Ross pools
were constructed in the early 1980s,
city spokeswoman Pam McKenzie said
in an email.
Lora Meseman, executive director of
the General Council of Winnipeg Com-
munity Centres, said the pool would be
a great amenity that helps seniors and
others access low-impact exercise.
“It will put less pressure on our
health system if we (have) spaces
where residents can participate and be
active,” said Meseman.
Transcona lacks full-size gyms, mak-
ing the existing spaces difficult for
sports organizations and community
centres to book, she said.
“Transcona definitely needs that
regional recreation,” said Meseman.
While community centres focus on
recreation first, she’s hopeful adding
daycare spots will meet a clear com-
munity need.
“There is a high demand for daycare
spaces and many community centres
get approached for that and that’s not
really what the community centres are
there for,” said Meseman.
Browaty, who is council’s finance
chairman, said the RecPlex will only be
built if the provincial and federal gov-
ernments help the city pay for it.
JOYANNE PURSAGA
● POOL, CONTINUED ON B2
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
BEETLES, NOT CHAINSAWS, HIBERNATE
City of Winnipeg urban forestry worker Loren Gair clears tree debris from a felled Dutch elm in Assiniboine Park Tuesday. Winter is a prime
time to tackle ailing trees as the elm bark beetle, which spreads the Dutch elm disease, is overwintering.
Report calls for Manwin Hotel to stay empty
THE city’s public service is urging the
property and development committee
to deny an appeal made by the Manwin
Hotel’s owner to allow tenants back into
the building.
In early January, the committee
issued a vacate order to 34 residents of
the notorious Main Street hotel amid
multiple outstanding permit require-
ments and compliance orders.
The hotel’s owner, Akim Kambam-
ba, appealed the order and a hearing is
scheduled before the committee on Feb.
10.
The building’s issues date to 2017
when the city discovered the hotel’s 24
units had been subdivided into 34 units
without proper permits, electrical work
or inspections, a report says.
Several of the building’s original
units were split up using partition walls
and new doorways were built to separ-
ate the units, the report states.
In 2021, the department again issued
compliance orders that were supposed
to be completed by April 29, 2022, but
went unfulfilled.
The department said in the report it
has “shown extreme patience in wait-
ing for the owner to bring the property
into compliance.”
“There has been seven-plus years
where the owner will do just enough
work to demonstrate some forward
progress in the permitting process.
Meanwhile, there remains significant
deficiencies and a lack of actual prog-
ress to bring the property into bylaw
and code compliance,” the report says.
The hotel’s owner also owes the city
more than $200,000 in penalties and
fines for the shoddy work.
In January, Kambamba told the Free
Press the vacancy order was issued due
to a fire escape that was not up to code.
City spokesman Kalen Qually would
not comment on the issue ahead of next
week’s hearing.
Following a fire in a bathroom of the
hotel in December, the city’s planning,
property and development department
ordered tenants to vacate the premises
no later than Jan. 17.
Kambamba couldn’t be reached for
comment Tuesday.
The 143-year-old hotel has been the
subject of violence, drug use and mul-
tiple homicides over the years, and
agencies and advocates have called for
its closure.
It was shut down by the province in
February 2021 due to the building hav-
ing no heat or water.
Kambamba blames nearby Main
Street Project’s homeless shelter for
the state of the building.
In a letter attached to the appeal re-
port, the hotel owner said those who are
turned away from the shelter come to
the Manwin to sleep or stay warm and
often do damage to suites and bath-
rooms.
Kambamba pointed to a freedom of
information request that showed Win-
nipeg Police Service dispatches to 637
Main St. (Main Street Project shelter)
went to 1,583 in 2023 from 35 in 2020.
The property was vacant for the ma-
jority of 2020 until Main Street Project
opened the doors to its 120-bed shelter
on Dec. 18.
The same data show police dispatch-
es to the Manwin at 655 Main St. stayed
consistent throughout the years — 469
in 2023 and 401 in 2020.
Kambamba wrote he doesn’t bring in
enough money to make the constant re-
pairs to the building.
“Many of these people are homeless
looking for shelter after being turned
away from the Main Street Project and
other shelters when these facilities are
full to capacity, especially in the winter.
They are outside always causing dam-
age to our property and the other build-
ings usually by breaking our windows
and doors. We are constantly fixing all
the damages,” Kambamba wrote.
The owner requested the vacate or-
der be lifted to generate revenue that
could be put back in the hotel in order
to complete the outstanding orders.
The latest inspection report says
areas of concern include overall life,
safety and livability conditions, mech-
anical (heating/cooling/plumbing),
electrical, structural, fire separation
requirements and egress paths.
In his letter, Kambamba claims
all needed repairs are being actively
addressed and will be completed on
schedule for inspection.
nicole.buffie@freepress.mb.ca
Owner appeals
city’s vacate order,
says repairs underway
NICOLE BUFFIE
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
The Manwin Hotel has failed numerous health and safety inspections over the years.
Patient
violence
has hospital
staff on edge
A NURSE who works in the Health Sci-
ences Centre adult emergency room
has likened it to a “danger zone” where
they’ve lost count of assaults or threats
— sometimes involving weapons —
against staff.
The nurse, who was granted anonym-
ity by the Free Press, said violence and
volatile patients contribute to high lev-
els of burnout and stress for ER staff
who already had high workloads.
“It’s too frequent to tell you how often
(violence) happens. Substance-induced
psychosis has rapidly increased. It’s out
of control,” the employee said.
The nurse, who described working
conditions in Manitoba’s busiest ER
as “chaos,” pleaded for change from
Shared Health, which runs HSC, and
the provincial government.
“It’s emotionally draining,” the nurse
said. “I feel like a robot. I don’t feel like
I’m giving the care to patients that they
deserve, solely because I’m so exhaust-
ed myself.”
Shared Health said a preliminary
review found 15 violent events were re-
ported by ER nursing and support staff
in 2024, down from 27 reports in 2023,
said the spokesperson, who attributed
the decrease to new security measures.
The NDP vowed to begin “fixing”
health care in Manitoba when elected
in October 2023, saying it will take time
to do so.
“I feel like they made a lot of prom-
ises and they haven’t really made a dif-
ference. Not for us. It’s gotten worse,
not better,” the nurse said.
HSC’s adult ER is often short-staffed,
with up to six patients to every nurse at
busier times, the employee said.
Dr. Shawn Young, chief operating
officer of HSC, recently said the ER’s
baseline is 24 to 25 nurses per shift, but
staffing levels are frequently around 21
to 22 nurses.
The nurse said a daily total of 150 to
200 patients is typical. Shared Health’s
annual report said the adult ER record-
ed nearly 57,824 visits in the 2023-24
fiscal year, the highest total since 2019-
20.
Of those, 20 per cent were admitted
and 28 per cent left without being seen.
The nurse said some admitted pa-
tients are forced to wait long periods in
ER treatment spaces because a bed is
not available on a unit.
“When we have severe ‘access block,’
the people in the waiting room are out
there for 12, 18, 24 hours,” the nurse
said.
“Hallway medicine was abolished,
and some days we don’t have a choice.
We have to put patients in our hallway.
It’s not great for patient care.”
The NDP has promised to train and
hire hundreds of additional nurses, im-
prove efforts to retain staff, reduce ER
waits and change the culture in health
care after seven years of Tory govern-
ance.
CHRIS KITCHING
Aggression, addictions take
toll on people’s care: nurse
● ER, CONTINUED ON B2
;