Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - February 6, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
WILL YOU CHOOSE
A HOME PACKAGE
OR $1,250,000 CASH?
ORDER ONLINE
MORE EARLY WINNERS THAN EVER BEFORE
All images are for illustration purposes, prizes may not be exactly as shown. *50/50 PLUS
®
tickets and BIG SCORE PLUS™ tickets can only be ordered with your 2025 Mega Million
Choices main ticket order. Must be 18+ to play. For complete rules and regulations go to: stbmegamillionchoices.ca. LGCA 1517-RF-46042, LGCA 1517-RF-46029, LGCA 1517-RF-46030
BUY YOUR
TICKETS TODAY 204-256-7203 | 1-855-256-7203
stbmegamillionchoices.ca
SCAN TO ORDER
PURPOSE. PASSION. PROGRESS.
MAIN TICKETS
1 FOR $100 | 3 FOR $200 | 6 FOR $325 | 12 FOR $525
50/50 PLUS
®
TICKETS
WINNER TAKES HALF! PLUS 20 EXTRA WINNERS!
10 FOR $25 | 30 FOR $50 | 60 FOR $75 | 100 FOR $100
BIG SCORE PLUS™ TICKETS $171,000 IN CASH PRIZES!
10 FOR $25 | 30 FOR $50 | 60 FOR $75 | 100 FOR $100
WIN THIS HOME
BY DANZANTE LIVING IN WEST ST. PAUL
WIN AND CHOOSE A MEGA HOME OR
$1.25 MILLION CASH
ERIN CEBULA & GREG MACKLING LOTTERY CO-SPOKESPEOPLE
2,000 PRIZES TO WIN
WORTH OVER $2.1 MILLION
HOMES IN WEST ST. PAUL | PRAIRIE POINTE | BISON RUN | ST. ADOLPHE
VERNON, BC | WATERFRONT LAC DU BONNET COTTAGE
TICKETS IN PERSON
ST. VITAL CENTRE
WINNIPEG & SELKIRK FOOD STORES
AND MAIN ST. PHARMACY
2025
EVERY SINGLE PRIZE HAS A CASH OPTION!
ULTIMATE BONUS
WORTH OVER $105,000
DEADLINE: MIDNIGHT, FEBRUARY 13, 2025
N
O
W
5
WINNERS!
MARCH 15
TH
, 2025 | RBC CONVENTION CENTRE
S O N S A N D D A U G H T E R S O F I TA LY
Another Project By
presents
Announcing the
2025 Canadian Italian
Business Professional
Award recipient
IDA ALBO
IN SUPPORT OF:
Join us on March 15
to celebrate with Ida
on receiving this
prestigious award
Please visit
sonsofitaly.ca/gala
to purchase tickets
& sponsorships
O
R
D
E
R
S
O
N
S
A
N
D
D
A
U
G
H
T
E
R
S
O
F
I
T
A
L
Y
C
A
N
A
D
A
•
•
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 2025
A4
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
NEWS I TOP NEWS
‘Significant revenue… has been diverted to Bodog’
Lottery operator seeks gambling site ban
M
ANITOBA Liquor and Lotteries
is asking the courts to ban an
offshore online casino, which it
says has kept “significant” sums from
its coffers, from operating in the prov-
ince.
Gaming website Bodog and its oper-
ators, which are registered in Antigua
and Barbuda, are breaking the law by
offering online gambling in Manitoba,
where the Crown corporation has au-
thority over legal gaming, says the no-
tice of application that was filed in the
Court of King’s Bench last week.
MLL said it filed the application on
behalf of the Canadian Lottery Coali-
tion, which represents Crown gaming
authorities in British Columbia, Sas-
katchewan, Quebec and the Maritimes,
as well as Manitoba.
The coalition, which formed in 2022,
is aimed at combating illegal online
gambling in Canada. Federal law al-
lows gambling only when managed and
licensed by provincial governments.
The notice of application, which
names Il Nido Ltd. and Sanctum IP
Holdings Ltd., also seeks a declaration
from the court that the companies’
advertising of websites bodog.eu and
bodog.net in the province as lawful,
“safe” and “trusted” is false and mis-
leading.
The application seeks either a tem-
porary or permanent injunction that
forces the companies or any affili-
ates or successors to cease operations
in Manitoba, stop advertising and to
implement geo-blocking technology
on their website to prevent anyone in
Manitoba from accessing it.
Currently, anyone in Manitoba can
access, register with, deposit funds and
place bets on the website, MLL said in
the filing.
The operators falsely advertise the
site as “the most trusted site in Canada
to play casino games,” the court filing
alleges.
The Crown corporation asserts
Bodog’s activities divert customers in
the province away from Liquor and Lot-
teries’ legitimate and regulated online
gaming operation, PlayNow.com.
“As a result of Bodog’s illegal activ-
ities… significant revenue that would
otherwise be generated by (MLL) has
been diverted to Bodog,” the court fil-
ing reads.
Manitoba’s Crown gaming corpora-
tion would not divulge to the Free Press
how much it estimates illegal gambling
has affected its bottom line in recent
years.
William Hill, the executive direc-
tor of the coalition, said Wednesday
that research conducted by gaming
consultant H2 Gambling Capital has
estimated illegal online gaming costs
Canadian public gaming corporations
about $2 billion in revenue annually.
He said offshore gambling diverts
tax revenue from provincial govern-
ments, which have less to spend on
health care and education as a result,
and unregulated sites don’t have player
protections.
“You have a consumer protection
issue,” said Hill.
He added that many illegal gam-
bling sites don’t issue financial reports,
which allows for potential tax evasion,
fraud and money laundering.
Liquor and Lotteries said in the fil-
ing that online gambling has grown in
recent years, in part because of 2021
Criminal Code amendments permit-
ting single-event sports betting and the
COVID-19 pandemic, which closed ca-
sinos and led gamblers to the web.
That led the corporation to develop
new rules and regulations for online
gaming, including measures to prevent
money laundering, the filing said.
Every dollar Bodog receives is a dol-
lar Liquor and Lotteries didn’t, so it has
spent “significant time and expense”
on trying to stop the online casino from
operating, the court filing said. The
Crown corporation wants that money
reimbursed.
The corporation said in the filing it
delivers its profit to the provincial gov-
ernment to fund public services and is
required to implement measures meant
to encourage people to gamble respon-
sibly.
The lottery coalition, the court filing
says, sent cease-and-desist letters to
Bodog in February and June 2023, but
the operators have refused to pull the
sites from Manitoba.
The notice of application is scheduled
to be heard by a judge on March 5.
erik.pindera@freepress.mb.ca
ERIK PINDERA
RCMP have released thermal
imaging video in which a group
of migrants was caught crossing
into Canada, near Emerson, from
the U.S. in mid-January.
Mounties released the brief
video at a news conference in
Edmonton Wednesday in which
RCMP and Canada Border Servi-
ces Agency officials detailed two
recent border incidents at Coutts,
Alta., 100 kilometres south of
Lethbridge, as well as the earlier
incident near Emerson.
The news conference was held
to demonstrate law enforcement
efforts on border security amid
the tariff threat from U.S. Presi-
dent Donald Trump. Trump has
insisted Canada clamp down on
illegal migrants and illicit drugs
that cross from Canada into the
U.S., without giving evidence to
back up his claim incidents are
rising.
The 37-second video was taken
by RCMP in an aircraft equipped
with thermal imaging technol-
ogy. It detected the migrants and
guided officers on the ground to
the location of the six people, who
were travelling in frigid temper-
atures in the dark on Jan. 14.
Mounties detected the group
at about 7:30 p.m., 15 kilometres
east of Emerson.
Three of the people were from
Sudan, while the others were
from Jordan, Chad and Mauri-
tania. All were transferred to the
border agency.
RCMP Asst. Commissioner
Lisa Moreland had told the Free
Press the aircraft’s ability to re-
spond quickly was instrumental
in ensuring the migrants weren’t
harmed by the freezing temper-
atures, which dipped below -20 C.
Several ambulances were sta-
tioned at the RCMP detachment
in Emerson, close to the border,
if needed.
Moreland noted Wednesday
no one in the group wore proper
winter clothing.
fpcity@freepress.mb.ca
RCMP catch 6
crossing border
near Emerson
Contractors fined for manipulating Manitoba Housing bids
BRANDON — A group of local con-
tractors admitted on Wednesday that
they violated the federal Competition
Act during a scheme to bid on Manitoba
Housing projects roughly 10 years ago.
Geoff Gregoire, Guy Pringle, James
Kauk, Ryan Lamont and Doug Gun-
narson appeared in Brandon Court
of King’s Bench to plead guilty for of-
fences under the law. The contractors
reached an agreement with the Crown
prosecutor to accept fines as high as
$61,000 each on the condition that crim-
inal charges against them be stayed.
The Crown had acknowledged weak-
nesses in its evidence that could under-
mine the case. Defence lawyers added
it was a representative from Manitoba
Housing who had encouraged the con-
tractors to bid on the projects in a way
that led to the violations.
Under the plea bargain, the contract-
ors would admit they had violated the
Competition Act and receive fines of:
$61,000 to Gregoire, $53,000 to Kauk,
$33,000 to Pringle, $25,000 to Gunnar-
son and $24,000 to Lamont.
Justice Elliot Leven noted that the
fines reflect the length of time each
contractor was involved in the scheme.
The contractors had been charged
with conspiracy to commit fraud over
$5,000, a Criminal Code violation, and
conspiring to allocate contracts under
the Competition Act.
The Crown told court Wednesday the
contractors discussed their bids with
each other and decided who would win
before they submitted their offers to
Manitoba Housing, an arm of the prov-
incial government.
The Crown said this created an un-
competitive bidding system that ap-
peared competitive.
Crown attorney Dan Manning said
there were several concerns about the
strength of evidence had the case gone
to trial. Examples included that the
contractors’ roughly 10-year-old text
messages, seized as evidence, were
now harder to submit to court because
Canada had strengthened its digital pri-
vacy laws.
In addition, a Crown witness would
have to testify against the contract-
ors based on 10-year-old memory and
notes, and a separate testimony was
shaky as the witness was interviewed
by investigators who had used leading
questions.
Defence lawyers said it was a Mani-
toba Housing representative who
“brought in” all five contractors to the
scheme and encouraged them to bid on
projects in an anti-competitive way. De-
tails about the representative, such as
whether they were charged or penal-
ized, were not discussed in court.
The defence stressed that the con-
tractors delivered high-quality work
and netted profit margins that are typ-
ical of the industry.
Defence lawyer Richard Wolson said
they had profit margins of about 10 per
cent on the projects in which bids vio-
lated the Competition Act. He said that
margin is within reasonable bounds
for the industry, and noted the Crown
agreed the projects for Manitoba Hous-
ing were built at an expert level.
Manning told court the Crown could
prove more than 50 bids were manipu-
lated from 2011 to 2016. The total value
of those bids was $3.3 million.
Leven said he supported the agree-
ment that had been reached, the penal-
ties were proportionate and the guilty
pleas were a sign of remorse.
He said with the potential weakness
of the evidence, it was possible some of
the accused may have been acquitted
had the case gone to trial.
— Brandon Sun
CONNOR MCDOWELL
;