Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - February 10, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
WILL YOU JOIN OUR
MENTORING MOVEMENT?
...and begin your rewarding new journey today!
Help us enable life-changing mentoring relationships to ignite
the power and potential of young people in Winnipeg!
BigWinnipeg.com
TOP NEWS
A3 MONDAY FEBRUARY 10, 2025 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
Trump said Canada would be “much better off”
as a state, and said he’d be fine with “subsidizing”
Canada if it was a state, an apparent reference to
the U.S. trade deficit with Canada.
Statistics Canada says Canada’s overall trade
surplus with the U.S. was $94.4 billion in 2023,
primarily due to oil exports.
Trump made the statehood comment in re-
sponse to a question from Fox News anchor Bret
Baier, who asked about Prime Minister Justin
Trudeau’s comments last week to a group of busi-
ness leaders claiming Trump is not joking about
making Canada a state.
“I think Canada would be much better off being
a 51st state because we lose $200 billion a year
to Canada and I’m not going to let that happen,”
Trump told Baier.
“It’s too much. Why are we paying $200 billion
a year essentially in subsidy to Canada? Now, if
they’re a 51st state I don’t mind doing it.”
On Friday, Trudeau told a crowd of more than
100 business leaders at a Canada-U.S. economic
summit in Toronto that Trump’s comments about
making Canada a state are “a real thing.”
His comments about Trump were made behind
closed doors after reporters were ushered out
of the room. The Toronto Star was able to hear
what Trudeau was saying because the audio was
inadvertently broadcast.
Terry Sheehan, the MP for Sault Ste. Marie,
Ont., which is home to Algoma Steel, posted to
X on Sunday evening that the steel produced in
Sault Ste. Marie is “used to make everything
from armoured vehicles to the Ambassador
Bridge.”
Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet
said in a social media post directed at Trump that
there is no scenario where the U.S. will produce
enough aluminum to replace what it gets from
Quebec before the end of the president’s mandate.
He told Trump that he was exposing America’s
cutting-edge industries to serious inflation and
that he should negotiate instead.
Trump initially threatened to impose 25 per
cent tariffs on all Canadian products due to
border security issues around fentanyl and illegal
immigration, but the president’s comments con-
tinue to focus on trade with Canada, and more re-
cently, a perceived lack of U.S. banks in Canada.
Border issues remain the official justification
for threatening tariffs, according to the presi-
dent’s executive order.
On Feb. 3, both Canada and Mexico were
granted at least 30 days reprieve from the tariffs
threat being realized after both Trudeau and
Mexican president Claudia Sheinbaum talked to
Trump about their respective border plans.
Canada’s plan includes $1.3 billion in spending,
first announced in December, on enhanced bor-
der security, including patrols with helicopters,
and the creation of a “fentanyl czar,” who will
work with U.S. counterparts in combating the
toxic drug crisis.
Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force 1 on
Sunday as he travelled to the Super Bowl game
in New Orleans, Trump continued to threaten a
country that has long been one of the U.S.’s clos-
est allies. He claimed that Canada is “not viable
as a country” without U.S. trade and warned
that the founding NATO member can no longer
depend on the U.S. for military protection.
“You know, they don’t pay very much for mili-
tary. And the reason they don’t pay much is they
assume that we’re going to protect them,” he said.
“That’s not an assumption they can make because
— why are we protecting another country?”
In the Fox interview, which was pre-taped
this weekend in Florida, Trump also said that
he has not seen enough action from Canada and
Mexico to stave off the tariffs he has threatened
to impose on the country’s two largest trading
partners once a 30-day extension is up.
“No, it’s not good enough,” he said. “Some-
thing has to happen. It’s not sustainable. And I’m
changing it.”
Trump’s participation in the Super Bowl in-
terview marked a return to tradition. Presidents
have typically granted a sit-down to the network
broadcasting the game, the most-watched televi-
sion event of the year. But both Trump and his
predecessor, Joe Biden, were inconsistent in their
participation.
Biden declined to participate last year — turn-
ing down a massive audience in an election year
— and also skipped an appearance in 2023, when
efforts by his team to have Biden speak with a
Fox Corp. streaming service instead of the main
network failed. During his first term, Trump
participated three out of four years.
Trump was the first sitting president to attend
the Super Bowl in person — something he told
Baier he was surprised to learn.
“I thought it would be a good thing for the coun-
try to have the president at the game,” he said.
During his flight to New Orleans, Trump
signed a proclamation declaring Feb. 9 “the first
ever Gulf of America Day” as Air Force 1 flew
over the body of water that he renamed by proc-
lamation from the Gulf of Mexico.
In the interview Trump also defended the
work of billionaire Elon Musk, whose so-called
Department of Government Efficiency, or DOGE,
has been drawing deep concern from Democrats
as he moves to shut down whole government
agencies and fire large swaths of the federal
workforce in the name of rooting out waste and
inefficiency.
Musk, Trump said, has “been terrific,” and
will target the Department of Education and the
military next.
“We’re going to find billions, hundreds of
billions of dollars of fraud and abuse,” Trump
predicted. “I campaigned on this.”
He was also asked about his dancing, which has
become a popular meme on social media.
“I don’t know what it is,” he said. “I try and
walk off sometimes without dancing and I can’t. I
have to dance.”
— The Canadian Press / The Associated Press
BEN CURTIS / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Aboard Air Force 1 on his way to the Super Bowl in New Orleans, U.S. President Donald Trump said Canada can no longer depend on the U.S. for military protection.
TARIFFS ● FROM A1
Local group calls for school trustee election oversight
R
ETIRED school trustees are lead-
ing a new campaign for legislative
change so their successors cannot
draw their own ward boundaries and
must disclose the names of donors who
contribute to hyperlocal races across
Manitoba.
Just Elections’ self-imposed mandate
is to promote free and fair school board
contests in all 38 divisions in the prov-
ince and protect them from “interfer-
ence.”
Among its demands, the coalition
wants to introduce contestant spending
limits, ban out-of-province residents
and corporate, organization and union
donations and ensure anyone who vio-
lates reporting rules be penalized.
Its members say an independent re-
view commission must be established to
assess school ward boundaries every 10
years.
“When I hear the fact that there are
outside people trying to interfere with
the democracy of elections of school
board trustees… It makes my blood
boil,” said Kathy Mallett, co-chair of the
non-partisan group made up primarily
of inner-city leaders and community or-
ganizations.
It’s unacceptable that Manitoba has no
rules on trustee fundraising, said Mal-
lett, who represented West End families
on the Winnipeg School Division’s board
of trustees in the early ’90s.
Unlike candidates for municipal,
provincial and federal office, trustee
hopefuls do not have to file audited fi-
nancial statements or follow financing
laws. In the past, individual contestants
and organizations, such as the Winnipeg
Labour Council, have voluntarily shared
endorsements at their discretion.
The status quo came into question in
October 2022 when a number of candi-
dates launched well-funded campaigns
with similar professional websites, so-
cial media posts and email templates.
The apparent co-ordination of cam-
paigns in WSD sparked intrigue among
voters and veteran board members —
many of whom have historically mount-
ed self-funded bids or sought small do-
nations from friends, neighbours and
family members.
The Free Press learned Walter
Schroeder, a Toronto philanthropist
whose foundation has donated millions
to local kindergarten-to-Grade 12 pro-
jects, was privately sponsoring trustee
candidates.
None of the incumbents in the last
election said they had received finan-
cial support from Schroeder, whose
controversial proposal to pay for the
reinstatement of its police-in-schools
program was rejected by the 2018-22
iteration of the board.
Following the election, the Manitoba
Liberals tabled a private member’s bill
to introduce oversight for trustee cam-
paign donors and expenses. It wasn’t
passed by the legislature.
A scan of provincial school board fi-
nancing rules conducted by Just Elec-
tions shows Manitoba is an outlier.
Alberta requires public disclosures of
contributions of $50 or more while On-
tario prohibits donations that exceed
$1,200, per the coalition’s analysis.
The Manitoba government’s latest
throne speech hinted at incoming legis-
lation to “protect our elections and dem-
ocracy from third-party and foreign
interference” and changes to the next
round of school board races.
A spokesperson for Education Min-
ister Tracy Schmidt indicated work is
underway, but it is “very early days.”
More information will be revealed in
the coming months, Schmidt’s office
said.
Former trustee Liz Ambrose recalled
being overwhelmed by the sheer size of
wards in WSD — at the time, hers was
larger than a federal riding — when she
first ran for a seat on its board more
than 30 years ago.
She said she was also taken aback by
the few campaign requirements for con-
testants.
“I was quite shocked that I didn’t have
to report (my finances) to anybody. I
kept my little ledger book for years,”
said the co-chair of Just Elections.
Ambrose said she’s long chalked up
the lack of transparency to there be-
ing little public awareness, care or
understanding about trustee roles and
responsibilities; she credits her initial
win in 1995 to her last name beginning
with an A and so being listed at the top
of ballots.
Given organized entities’ growing at-
tempts to influence school boards both
in Canada and south of the border, she
said it’s “high time” that rules be intro-
duced and the province stop allowing
trustees to set ward boundaries as they
please.
Just Elections documents categorize
the latter as a conflict of interest.
The group’s formal presentation sug-
gests an independent commission that
looks at electoral boundary changes
would be “a proactive way to address
issues of equity and representation in
the governance of our public school
board.”
maggie.macintosh@freepress.mb.ca
MAGGIE MACINTOSH
LOCAL JOURNALISM INITIATIVE REPORTER
;