Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - April 24, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
A2
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
NEWS
THURSDAY, APRIL 24, 2025
VOL 154 NO 137
Winnipeg Free Press est 1872 / Winnipeg Tribune est 1890
2025 Winnipeg Free Press,
a division of FP Canadian Newspapers Limited Partnership.
Published six days a week in print and always online
at 1355 Mountain Avenue,
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R2X 3B6, PH: 204-697-7000
CEO / MIKE POWER
Editor / PAUL SAMYN
Associate Editor Enterprise / SCOTT GIBBONS
Associate Editor News / STACEY THIDRICKSON
Associate Editor Digital News / WENDY SAWATZKY
Director Photo and Multimedia / MIKE APORIUS
NEWSMEDIA COUNCIL
The Winnipeg Free Press is a member of the National
Newsmedia Council, which is an independent organization
established to determine acceptable journalistic practices and
ethical behaviour. If you have concerns about editorial content,
please send them to:
editorialconcerns@freepress.mb.ca.
If you are not satisfied with the response and wish to file a
formal complaint, visit the website at www.mediacouncil.ca and
fill out the form or call toll-free 1-844-877-1163 for additional
information.
ADVERTISING
Classified (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7100
wfpclass@freepress.mb.ca
Obituaries (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7384
Display Advertising : 204-697-7122
FP.Advertising@freepress.mb.ca
EDITORIAL
Newsroom/tips: 204-697-7292
Fax: 204-697-7412
Photo desk: 204-697-7304
Sports desk: 204-697-7285
Business news: 204-697-7292
Photo REPRINTS:
libraryservices@winnipegfreepress.com
City desk / City.desk@freepress.mb.ca
CANADA POST SALES AGREEMENT NO. 0563595
Recycled newsprint is used in the
production of the newspaper.
PLEASE RECYCLE.
INSIDE
Arts and Life C1
Business B5
Classifieds D7
Comics C5
Diversions C6-7
Horoscope C4
Jumble C6
Miss Lonelyhearts C4
Opinion A6, 7
Sports D1
Television C4
Weather B8
COLUMNISTS:
Dan Lett A4
READER SERVICE ● GENERAL INQUIRIES 204-697-7000
CIRCULATION INQUIRIES
MISSING OR INCOMPLETE PAPER?
Call or email before 10 a.m. weekdays
or 11 a.m. Saturday
City: 204-697-7001
Outside Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900 press 1
6:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday-Friday.;
7 a.m. - noon Saturday; Closed Sunday
TO SUBSCRIBE: 204-697-7001
Out of Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900
The Free Press receives support from
the Local Journalism Initiative funded
by the Government of Canada
‘Instead of walking Maven through life, I had to walk him to the morgue’
THE mother of a three-month-old boy
fatally assaulted by his father told a
court Tuesday she was gripped by
thoughts of suicide after her son was
“senselessly and cruelly” killed.
“I truly felt there was no purpose for
me left” and that death would reunite
her with her child, Evelyn Gillis said
at a sentencing hearing for her former
partner Mathieu Moreau.
Moreau, 35, was found guilty of
manslaughter after a judge last year
rejected his testimony at trial claim-
ing he found the child in his crib in un-
explained medical distress.
Moreau’s son Maven was rushed to
hospital with a traumatic brain injury
on Jan. 11, 2020, and was taken off life
support six days later.
Gillis cried as she recounted the grief
and pain she and her family live with
every day, her voice rising in anger as
she frequently turned to look at Moreau
seated in the court gallery with his
family.
“We trusted that Mathieu was telling
us the truth that night it happened,”
Gillis said. “The extent of the betrayal
didn’t end there. You watched us suf-
fer, mourn, grieve, and you attended
Maven’s funeral planning. You ma-
nipulated and disrespected us when we
were in our most fragile state.
“I had to go through my first Moth-
er’s Day without my son,” she said. “In-
stead of walking Maven through life, I
had to walk him to the morgue. The tre-
mendous void will never be filled and
our heartbreak will never go away.”
Prosecutors are urging King’s Bench
Justice Sadie Bond to sentence Moreau
to 10 to 12 years in prison.
“Instead of loving and protecting
Maven, Mr. Moreau did the opposite,
committing a violent act that resulted
in several fractures and a catastrophic
brain injury, killing him,” Crown attor-
ney Jennifer Mann said.
Mann said there was no evidence Mo-
reau was “overwhelmed” by caring for
Maven, noting his in-laws were always
available to help and lived just a short
walk from his home.
“To this day we have no explana-
tion for his behaviour toward Maven,”
Mann said.
Court heard at trial Gillis was out
for dinner in Osborne Village when
Moreau called her parents, then 911,
to report their son was having trouble
breathing in his crib in their Nassau
Street apartment shortly after 9 p.m.
Moreau testified he had gone for a
nap, then heard Maven gurgling in his
crib when he went to the washroom
after waking up. He burped him after
seeing infant formula come from his
mouth and nose, he told court, before
calling for help.
Prosecutors alleged Moreau was fi-
nancially stressed, tired from working
two jobs and upset that he had to return
home to care for Maven when he “lost
control” and assaulted the child, caus-
ing the fatal head injury and shin frac-
tures.
Bond, in a written decision con-
victing Moreau last April, said medical
evidence provided to court indicated
Maven would have shown immediate
signs of having suffered a brain injury,
which Moreau testified he did not see
when he arrived home to care for the
child.
Moreau was acquitted of an addition-
al count of assault relating to a mouth
injury the baby suffered while in his
care a day before he was rushed to hos-
pital.
Defence lawyers Wednesday rec-
ommended Moreau be sentenced to no
more than five years in prison, arguing
his assault on the child was a “spontan-
eous action” and “momentary lapse”
and that he has good prospects for re-
habilitation.
Moreau was found criminally respon-
sible for Maven’s death, but that doesn’t
mean he isn’t grieving, said defence
lawyer Bruce Bonney.
“He also feels terrible for what hap-
pened, he loved his child,” Bonney said.
Bond will sentence Moreau on May
30. He remains free on bail.
dean.pritchard@freepress.mb.ca
DEAN PRITCHARD
U of W English
language cutbacks
condemned
S
UPPORTERS of study-abroad lan-
guage programs are warning that
cutbacks at the University of Win-
nipeg and related closures on other
campuses across the country will have
wide-ranging consequences.
Languages Canada, an organization
that represents post-secondary institu-
tions with language programs, said this
week it has lost 16 members since the
start of the year. Those include a mix
of public and private schools that run
English and French courses targeted at
immigrants.
“This is a country of immigrants and
what unites immigrants coming here
is our shared language. Canada cannot
sustain, never mind grow, without an
effective official languages education
sector. It is an impossibility,” said Gon-
zalo Peralta, executive director of the
industry association.
Peralta said he’s “extremely con-
cerned” about losing 10 per cent of his
organization’s membership in one quar-
ter and Manitobans should be, too.
Participants in these programs not
only power local economies by paying
tuition — they also frequent coffee
shops and their homestay fees help
families make mortgage payments, he
said.
U of W charged $5,500 for its 14-week
English programs, the last of which ran
from Jan. 6 to April 17.
The post-secondary institute was an
affiliate of Languages Canada before
administrators announced in January
they were putting an end to the courses
due to budgetary challenges.
For nearly 60 years, U of W’s Eng-
lish language program was available
to students wanting to improve their
oral and written language skills and at-
tracted temporary visitors from across
the globe. It will cease to exist by the
summer.
U of W president Todd Mondor said
in a news release enrolment “dropped
dramatically” because of recent chan-
ges to federal policies affecting inter-
national student mobility.
Program reports show there was an
average of 215 registrants annually
during the three school years leading
up to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Enrolment plummeted amid travel
restrictions, but the average nearly tri-
pled to 632 in 2022-23. Last year, there
were 507 students.
The final figures for the current
academic year were unavailable Wed-
nesday. Mondor said in September en-
rolment among new non-Canadian stu-
dents had dropped 50 per cent for the
fall term.
Post-secondary leaders on the down-
town campus and elsewhere have
raised concerns about the fallout of
new federal caps on international stu-
dents and related policies since Ottawa
announced them in early 2024.
Immigration, Refugee and Citizen-
ship Canada’s stated goal is to stabil-
ize immigration levels and target “bad
actors” who are overcharging inter-
national students for shoddy programs.
Peralta and his colleagues take issue
with the claims that international stu-
dents are putting a severe strain on
affordable housing stock and social ser-
vices.
Language program students, only 30
per cent of whom arrive with the inten-
tion of continuing their education local-
ly and staying in Canada on a long-term
basis, create jobs and vibrant commun-
ities, he said Wednesday.
Last year, the top countries of origin
for international student registrants
across the Canadian Prairies were
Japan, China, South Korea, Brazil,
Colombia and Mexico, per Languages
Canada.
Manitoba-based Heartland Inter-
national English School, Winnipeg
Global Education College, Robertson
College and St. Boniface University
continue to accept applicants from
these nations and elsewhere.
The industry association’s calcula-
tions suggest its members, including
the four remaining local ones, contrib-
uted a combined $335 million to Mani-
toba, Saskatchewan and Alberta’s econ-
omies last year.
That’s down from $563 million in
2019, per an analysis its leadership
team said was done by a senior econo-
mist who drew on data from Statistics
Canada.
maggie.macintosh@freepress.mb.ca
MAGGIE MACINTOSH
MANITOBA Health announced two new
confirmed cases of measles in the province
Wednesday.
That brings the total number of confirmed
and probable infections reported in Manitoba
to 12 since Feb.10.
Both individuals attended Southwood
School in the Rural Municipality of Stanley
during the infectious period, a news release
late Wednesday stated. The cases were
confirmed after recent travel to Mexico.
Public health officials asked anyone who
may have been exposed at the school on April
14-15 or on school buses servicing South-
wood and Prairie Dale schools on those days
to contact Health Links at 204-788-8200 in
Winnipeg or toll-free in Manitoba at 1-888-
351-9257.
The measles virus spreads through close
contact with an infected person and through
the air via cough or sneeze. The virus can be
spread by droplets that can stay in the air for
several hours. Infection can result in serious
illness or death. Symptoms generally appear
21 days after exposure.
Public health officials urge Manitobans to
stay up to date on immunization, the only
means of protection from measles.
TWO NEW CASES OF MEASLES ANNOUNCED
White House spokesperson Kush
Desai responded to Newsom’s lawsuit,
saying the Trump administration
“remains committed to addressing this
national emergency that’s decimating
America’s industries and leaving our
workers behind with every tool at our
disposal, from tariffs to negotiations.”
Trump has imposed 25 per cent
tariffs on Canadian-built automobiles
and Canadian steel and aluminum, and
threatened a baseline tariff of 10 per
cent on all exports to the U.S.
Canada retaliated with similar tar-
iffs on U.S.-built automobiles as well
as targeted tariffs on key American
industries such as wine, spirits, orang-
es, orange juice, appliances and peanut
butter, to name a few.
Trumps “Liberation Day” April 2
outlined massive tariffs on dozens
of countries, including two islands
— Heard and McDonald — that are
home only to penguins. He’s since put
most of those tariffs on hold, but left
in place up to 245 per cent tariffs on
China, which has imposed stiff tariffs
of its own and refused to negotiate.
The moves put stocks around the
globe into freefall, exacerbated by
his musings about firing U.S. Federal
Reserve chairman Jerome Powell.
As well, the American tourism indus-
try is suffering, as travellers from
affected regions, including Canada and
the European Union, choose alternate
destinations in retaliation. NBC News
said visits from Canada declined 18
per cent in March and travel from the
United Kingdom and Germany have
dropped as much as 29 per cent.
Wall Street investment bank
Goldman Sachs estimates the loss of
tourism and boycotting of U.S. goods
abroad could cost the U.S. economy
$90 billion in 2025.
— The Associated Press
TARIFFS ● FROM A1
DARREN CALABRESE / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is standing behind his platform’s heavy reliance on economic growth.
Conservatives, Liberals called out
over lack of ‘prudence’ in platforms
OTTAWA — Pierre Poilievre is de-
fending the Conservative campaign
platform’s heavy reliance on economic
growth in a period of deep uncertainty,
while the NDP and Liberals spar over
cost-cutting.
The Conservative leader was cam-
paigning in Hamilton, Ont., on Wednes-
day, with just days to go before the fed-
eral vote on Monday and a day after he
released the party’s costed campaign
platform.
That plan promises to reduce the fed-
eral deficit to $14 billion in four years
and banks on billions in unrealized rev-
enues from cutting “red tape” and get-
ting new projects built over that horizon.
Poilievre was asked Wednesday
whether those projections are realistic
given Canada is just two months into a
trade war with the United States — and
as some economists predict the country
could hit a recession if the trade uncer-
tainty is not resolved quickly.
“Now, you ask me in a period of eco-
nomic weakness, after the Liberals
have been in power for three terms,
whether it is wise to campaign on eco-
nomic growth? It’s not only wise, it’s
essential for a change that we grow our
economy,” he said.
Poilievre said he would end Liberal
laws that he claims are holding back
economic growth and the ability to get
resources to market. He also attacked
the spending levels in Liberal Leader
Mark Carney’s campaign platform.
Carney returned fire Wednesday, call-
ing the Conservative platform “a fantasy
of fiscal tricks and phantom growth.”
Carney said a day earlier that his
“numbers are prudent” and the Liberal
plan does not “rely” on rosy predictions in
a global climate of economic uncertainty
driven by the United States’ trade war.
“We are in a crisis. In a crisis, you al-
ways plan for the worst, you don’t hope
for the best, and you don’t make those
types of assumptions,” he said Tuesday.
The Institute of Fiscal Studies and
Democracy, a non-partisan think-tank
at the University of Ottawa, released
its grades Tuesday for the three main
parties’ platforms. It gave the Liberals
a rating of “good” while the Conserva-
tives and NDP both received a “pass.”
The final scores for each of the par-
ties were actually quite close: 35/44 for
the Liberals, 33.5/44 for the Conserva-
tives and 31/ 44 for the NDP.
The institute criticized both the Lib-
eral and Conservative platforms on the
question of “prudence” — how they ac-
count for fiscal and economic risks and
unforeseen events.
It said both platforms included “no
consideration of prudence and risk” in
their “optimistic” outlooks and gave
both campaigns a score of two out of
four on prudence.
Commenting on the Conservative
platform, the institute noted that the
Government of Canada’s planning
framework “does not typically book
additional revenues for new measures
and should not book efficiency savings
before having been achieved, since past
results have proven disappointing.”
The NDP received a score of three
out of four on prudence because its
platform included a small contingency
reserve and made use of the Bank of
Canada’s recent economic scenarios
for a wider range of tariff impacts.
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh was in
Edmonton on Wednesday warning Can-
adians about program cuts under a pos-
sible Liberal government, and arguing
that electing New Democrat members
of Parliament would help keep the Lib-
erals in check.
— The Canadian Press
CRAIG LORD
;