Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - April 29, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
4285 Portage Avenue
|
Headingley, MB R4H1C6
(204) 819-9540
|
sales@classictrailers.ca
ENDS
SATURDAY
MAY 10TH AT
3:00 PM
HOURS: MON-FRI 9AM TO 5PM, SAT 10AM TO 3PM, SUN CLOSED
AS LOW AS
$
44
WKLY OAC
BEAT THE MAY LONG
WEEKEND RUSH FOR SERVICE!
“GET YOUR RV READY TO GO”
Jim Gorrie & his son Michael
BURTON CUMMINGS
THEATRE
MAY 23-25
3 0 B R E A T H T A K I N G Y E A R S
O N E W O R L D W I D E P H E N O M E N O N
SERVING MANITOBA SINCE 1872 PROUDLY CANADIAN
TUESDAY, APRIL 29, 2025
LIBERAL
165
PC
147
BLOC
23
NDP
7
GREEN
1
PPC
0
Father, mother, daughter, 5, killed in Vancouver attack
VANCOUVER — Richard Le sent a
text to his 16-year-old son on Satur-
day at about 8 p.m., saying he and
the teen’s stepmother and little sister
would soon leave the Lapu Lapu Day
festival in Vancouver.
Instead Le, his wife Linh Hoang
and their five-year-old daughter Katie
were run down moments later. The
family is among the 11 people killed
in a ramming attack, Le’s brother said
Monday.
Police and witnesses have said a
black SUV raced down a crowded
street lined with food trucks, leaving
the dead and dozens of injured victims
in its wake.
Of the 32 people sent to hospital
on Saturday, police say seven people
remain in critical condition and three
more have serious injuries.
Kai-Ji Adam Lo, 30, of Vancouver
has been charged with eight counts of
second-degree murder — and police
have said more charges are likely as
victims are identified.
Vancouver Police Sgt. Steven Ad-
dison confirmed Lo is the brother of
Alexander Lo, who was killed last year
in the city in an unrelated homicide.
Adam Lo set up an online fundraiser
for his brother’s funeral expenses but
it has since been removed from the Go-
FundMe crowdfunding platform.
Lo wrote his brother had died in a
“senseless act of violence” and while
the brothers had “disagreements” the
killing had hit him with “overwhelm-
ing force.”
Addison said at a news conference
Monday there are many people who
are affected by Saturday’s attack at the
festival.
“We will never be normal again.
But as people return to their normal
routines, we want to be victim centred
and trauma informed.”
Of the 11 people who died, nine are
female and two are male, Addison said.
NONO SHEN AND BRENNA OWEN
Poilievre
has only
himself
to blame
HISTORY is replete with stories
about political leaders who went
down to defeat because they were
unable to recognize the moment
when their fortunes began to
change.
For Pierre Poilievre and the Con-
servatives, that moment may have
come on Jan. 2.
While most Canadians were still
wiping the sleep from their eyes
after New Year’s Eve and Day,
far-right academic Jordan Peterson
posted a YouTube interview with
Poilievre. Given that Poilievre
was infamous for refusing to do
sit-down interviews with traditional
news organizations, his two-hour
chat with Peterson was quite re-
markable for a variety of different
reasons.
Over the course of the interview,
Poilievre talked confidently about
what he was going to do to reshape
the federal government and its
programs to remove the stench
of “wokeism.” Poilievre seemed
almost gleeful in discussing how
broken Canada had become, over-
run by drugs and criminals with
“foreign conflicts… spilling onto
our streets.” He claimed the alarm-
ing increase in racist incidents was
largely a backlash against the Lib-
eral government’s indiscriminately
progressive world view.
OPINION
● VANCOUVER, CONTINUED ON A3
● POILIEVRE, CONTINUED ON A2
DAN LETT
Carney pulls off an election win unthinkable four months ago; Singh quits, Poilievre in danger of defeat
Liberals rise from the ashes
O
TTAWA — As Canadians
handed the Liberals a fourth
mandate on Monday, Jagmeet
Singh announced he’d be resigning as
NDP leader and the Bloc Québécois
appeared to be in a position to hold
the balance of power.
In the early hours of Tuesday
morning, ballots were still being
counted and dozens of seats were still
too close to call. It’s not yet known
whether the Liberals will lead a ma-
jority or minority government.
But Prime Minister Mark Carney
will take a seat in the House of Com-
mons for the first time having won
his Ottawa-area seat and will lead
Canada through an economic crisis
triggered by U.S. President Donald
Trump.
Conservative Leader Pierre Poil-
ievre conceded to the Liberals around
midnight, but noted the results are
extremely close and said change can
sometimes take time. Poilievre said
he will continue to hold the Liberal
government to account but will also
stand united against the tariffs from
Trump.
Poilievre hushed some booing from
the crowd when he congratulated
Carney on his win.
“No, no, we’ll have plenty of oppor-
tunity to debate and disagree. But
tonight we come together as Canadi-
ans,” he said.
Poilievre said his purpose in poli-
tics “will continue to be” working for
Canadians to have a safe and afford-
able country, and said he ran in “a
very difficult environment” but said
the public will still desire change in
the next election.
“We have to learn the lessons of
tonight, so that we can have an even
better result the next time,” he said.
With the NDP at risk of losing offi-
cial party status — and after losing
his own riding — Singh said he’d be
stepping down as leader once the par-
ty selects an interim replacement.
“We may lose sometimes and those
losses hurt,” Singh said, fighting
emotion as he stood beside his wife on
a stage in Burnaby, B.C.
DYLAN ROBERTSON
● CARNEY, CONTINUED ON A2
BLAIR GABLE / REUTERS
Prime Minister Mark Carney applauds at the Liberal Party headquarters Monday after his party won enough seats to form government, though a majority was elusive at deadline.
— elected and leading as of 12:30 am. today
;