Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - May 6, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
A2
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
Coun. Sherri Rollins, whose Fort Rouge-East Fort
Garry ward includes the former police station, said she’s
long awaited a better use for the site and thinks housing
would be a great fit.
“I would like to be there the day that they tear it down.
It will feel like work completed to me. It’s ugly,” said
Rollins.
Initially, Pembina Trails School Division expressed
interest in potentially using the site to support Vincent
Massey, which was worth exploring, she said.
“In terms of urban planning, it is important to kind of
go to that school division and say, ‘What do you need?’
It is very contiguous property with all these public
services,” said Rollins.
Provincial staffing and school funding changes compli-
cated that option, she said.
The Pembina property is one of five city-owned lots that
was earmarked for sale or lease to create affordable hous-
ing in March through the city’s Housing Accelerator Fund
land enhancement office. The other properties include 825
Taché Ave., 795 William Ave., 425 Osborne St., and 569
Watt St.
The plans are connected to the city’s agreement under
the federal Housing Accelerator Fund, which aims to
help trigger more home construction, including afford-
able units.
joyanne.pursaga@freepress.mb.ca
X: @joyanne_pursaga
NEWS
TUESDAY, MAY 6, 2025
VOL 154 NO 147
Winnipeg Free Press est 1872 / Winnipeg Tribune est 1890
2025 Winnipeg Free Press,
a division of FP Canadian Newspapers Limited Partnership.
Published six days a week in print and always online
at 1355 Mountain Avenue,
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R2X 3B6, PH: 204-697-7000
CEO / MIKE POWER
Editor / PAUL SAMYN
Associate Editor Enterprise / SCOTT GIBBONS
Associate Editor News / STACEY THIDRICKSON
Associate Editor Digital News / WENDY SAWATZKY
Director Photo and Multimedia / MIKE APORIUS
NEWSMEDIA COUNCIL
The Winnipeg Free Press is a member of the National
Newsmedia Council, which is an independent organization
established to determine acceptable journalistic practices and
ethical behaviour. If you have concerns about editorial content,
please send them to:
editorialconcerns@freepress.mb.ca.
If you are not satisfied with the response and wish to file a
formal complaint, visit the website at www.mediacouncil.ca and
fill out the form or call toll-free 1-844-877-1163 for additional
information.
ADVERTISING
Classified (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7100
wfpclass@freepress.mb.ca
Obituaries (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7384
Display Advertising : 204-697-7122
FP.Advertising@freepress.mb.ca
EDITORIAL
Newsroom/tips: 204-697-7292
Fax: 204-697-7412
Photo desk: 204-697-7304
Sports desk: 204-697-7285
Business news: 204-697-7292
Photo REPRINTS:
libraryservices@winnipegfreepress.com
City desk / City.desk@freepress.mb.ca
CANADA POST SALES AGREEMENT NO. 0563595
Recycled newsprint is used in the
production of the newspaper.
PLEASE RECYCLE.
INSIDE
Around Town C8
Arts and Life C1
Business B5
Classifieds D7
Comics C5
Diversions C6,7
Horoscope C4
Miss Lonelyhearts C4
Obituaries D6
Opinion A6,7
Sports D1
Television C4
Weather B8
COLUMNISTS:
Dan Lett A5
READER SERVICE ● GENERAL INQUIRIES 204-697-7000
CIRCULATION INQUIRIES
MISSING OR INCOMPLETE PAPER?
Call or email before 10 a.m. weekdays
or 11 a.m. Saturday
City: 204-697-7001
Outside Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900 press 1
6:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday-Friday.;
7 a.m. - noon Saturday; Closed Sunday
TO SUBSCRIBE: 204-697-7001
Out of Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900
The Free Press receives support from
the Local Journalism Initiative funded
by the Government of Canada
Wayne Ewasko, who was interim
PC leader at the time, apologized
March 5 for refusing to search the
landfill, a week after the province
announced unidentified human
remains had been discovered there.
The remains were since identified as
belonging to Myran and Harris.
Khan promised to improve “the
tone of question period” as the legis-
lative session resumed after being on
break since April 24.
“A new day has begun,” Khan told
the chamber.
He promised to hold the NDP
government to account for what he
described as its failed promises to
fix health care, make life more af-
fordable and keep Manitobans safe.
Khan said the official Opposition
also plans to prevent question period
from descending into a ruckus, as
witnessed of late.
On April 22, for instance, there
was an uproar in the house when
PC MLA Greg Nesbitt suggested a
$10,205 contract for counselling ser-
vices paid for by Finance Minister
Adrien Sala was for his own therapy.
The government said after question
period the contract was to provide
counselling services for searchers
looking for human remains at the
Prairie Green Landfill.
The next day, Nesbitt, the member
for Riding Mountain, requested and
received a rare apology from the
speaker. Nesbitt accused speaker
Tom Lindsey — the NDP MLA for
Flin Flon — of taking sides, not
maintaining order and allowing
government benches to drown out
his right to ask questions about the
contract.
Lindsey said he shouldn’t have told
Nesbitt he couldn’t ask a question
in the house where free speech is
upheld.
Nesbitt, however, was the one
apologizing Monday for his “inap-
propriate” choice of words in asking
Sala about the contract for coun-
selling services. The PC MLA said
he apologized in person to Sala that
morning and was apologizing to all
members publicly in the chamber for
“any unintended consequences of the
way my questions were worded.”
Khan said he didn’t ask Nesbitt to
apologize.
“Greg (Nesbitt) came to me and
said he wants to do this. He thought
it was the right thing to do,” Khan
told reporters.
“Of course, I support him as the
leader and also, the greater picture
is it is signifying a real change in the
PC Party Manitoba. We are setting a
new tone.”
Sala said he accepts Nesbitt’s
apology, “but this isn’t about me,”
the finance minister said outside the
chamber.
“I think the proper thing to do here
is to ensure that those landfill work-
ers who are the recipients of those
supports hear an apology from him
and their team,” Sala said.
— with files from Nicole Buffie
carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca
“I was shocked, I couldn’t believe
the Jets came back, and then I was
really excited — obviously, the ref
was, too,” Polanski said.
“It’s awesome. I feel like the Jets
have kind of been looked down on
recently with their losses, so I was
very excited. It was pretty awe-
some.”
Meanwhile, one city business is
making it... snow-ish.
Dreamcatcher Promotions, a local
First Nations-run business, has print-
ed 120,000 Whiteout rally towels,
with another 40,000 on the way as
the Jets gear up to host at least the
first two games of the second-round
best-of-seven series against the Dal-
las Stars, which begins Wednesday
night.
Owner Michelle Cameron, who is
from Peguis First Nation, said their
machines have been running 14
hours each day.
“It’s been a dream come true,”
said Cameron, who watched with
teary eyes as 15,225 of her towels
were waving inside the arena when
she attended Game 1 of the opening
round.
“As a First Nation-owned company,
we don’t get these opportunities. So
for us, it’s unheard of.”
The partnership began after
Cameron met Jets co-owner Mark
Chipman at a local event a few years
ago. A coffee meeting followed and
she pitched the company’s growing
capacity.
“He was impressed by our story of
growth and wanted to work with an
Indigenous company. The opportuni-
ty came and we seized it,” Cameron
said.
Dreamcatcher Promotions started
printing different Jets-branded
T-shirts and hats, and the partner-
ship has blossomed ever since.
“Because of the tariffs, it was im-
portant the Jets supported Canadian
and local, and that’s why ‘printed
locally’ is also on the towels.”
Annabella Maguet wasn’t just wav-
ing the towels — she was wearing
them Sunday.
Maguet collected several towels
from Games 1, 2 and 5, enough to
fashion her own Whiteout-themed
pants and jacket.
“After Game 1, I saw one of my
friend’s moms, who had made pants
from old whiteout towels, and I
thought it was such a good idea, so I
kind of re-created her look,” she said.
She didn’t stop there, however.
After Game 5, Maguet and her
mother, Carolyn, managed to find a
few more, enough to sew together the
matching jacket.
“I got so many compliments, and
so many people were asking if I
would sell to them or how much I was
charging for them, which is funny
because I’m not really a seamstress.
I just fix up my family’s clothes and
my brother’s hockey gear,” she said.
Sunday night’s thrills rippled south
down Carlton Street, and hung a
right on Broadway, leading to the
Manitoba legislature.
“I left a good chunk of my voice (at
the game), but I will always be able
to say, ‘Go Jets go!’ and ‘We want
the cup!’” said Premier Wab Kinew
during Monday’s question period,
repeating the chant three times to
cheers from the assembly.
New Progressive Conservative
Leader and former Blue Bombers
offensive lineman Obby Khan also
took the opportunity to salute the
moment.
“Go Jets go!” he said while re
-
ferring to the “incredible overtime
action.”
— with files from Maggie Macintosh
scott.billeck@freepress.mb.ca
Finger-lickin’ playoffs, baby!
Even KFC is leaning into the
playoff energy, embracing
a long-running local meme
that ties its acronym to the
Winnipeg Jets’ leading scorer.
The brand, which partnered
with the Jets earlier this
season, is playing along with
fans who’ve dubbed Kyle
Connor “Kyle F---ing Connor”
for years.
“It became very clear to us how much Jets fans love ‘KFC’, with many rocking their own version
of KFC bucket hats with Kyle’s face pasted on,” said Lauren Pottie, a senior manager at KFC Canada.
“So the KFC-KFC connection really was borne out of that and with the playoffs, we knew this was
the time to celebrate these local rituals and go all in.”
Pottie said the partnership between the Jets and the fried chicken giant is about connecting
with the local culture and the fans.
Connor has been working with the brand, they said.
“We do have plans beyond this ad campaign to enrich the game-day experience of Jets fans.
We’ve partnered with local creators and huge Jets fans to build on the momentum and excitement
that surrounds these playoffs,” Pottie said.
That includes some unique KFC swag to help fans cheer on the Jets and Connor at an upcoming
game, Pottie said.
Details on that are still to come.
TORIES ● FROM A1
HOUSING ● FROM A1
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
A former police station on Pembina Highway owned by the city has sat mostly vacant for more than a decade.
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
New Progressive Conservative Leader Obby Khan apologizes Monday for his party’s refusal to search a landfill for victims of a serial killer.
SUPPLIED
Annabella Maguet’s Whiteout outfit made from towels given out at playoff games.
SUPPLIED
JETS ● FROM A1
;