Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - October 16, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
A2
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
The centre would include 20 spaces
where people could detox from drugs
under medical supervision. It would
provide health resources, including
prenatal testing and treatment for
sexually transmitted infections and
other conditions.
If the plan moves ahead, another
20 spaces could be introduced to the
facility in the new year, the province
has said.
Smith said the government is still
determining the appropriate staffing
level for the proposed facility, but
stressed it will be operated by medi-
cal professionals.
The province worked with three
physicians to determine the 72-hour
timeline, she said.
Jitender Sareen, the province’s
medical specialty lead for mental
health and addiction, said he is in
favour of the legislation. He noted the
72-hour window aligns with the Men-
tal Health Act and allows adequate
time for medical professionals to
assess a patient.
People who detox before that period
will be released, while others who
experience prolonged medical events
can be transferred to other facilities
for appropriate care, he said.
“The legislation is really respond-
ing to the crystal meth epidemic, and
this really does require careful, regu-
lar assessments,” Sareen said.
Sareen, who leads the department
of psychiatry at the University of
Manitoba, is one of four high-ranking
medical experts in Manitoba who
wrote a letter of support to Smith’s
office in late September.
“Collectively, we believe that, with
appropriate implementation — in-
cluding enhanced medical oversight,
regular assessments, access to health
services and safeguards to ensure
preservation of human rights and
individual autonomy — this change
will improve safety,” reads the letter,
shared with the Free Press by the
provincial government.
Sareen said the facility should
include security staff and paramedics
who can assess patients as frequently
as every 15 minutes, if needed. A
physician experienced in addictions
and general practice should also be on
hand, he said.
It is critical to ensure the plan
proceeds with patient safety as a
priority, and with a full assessment on
how introducing the detox centre will
affect the health system, he said.
Asked whether he feels the prov-
ince will be prepared to open the de-
tox centre within the next few weeks,
Sareen said: “We are trying to work
with government on those timelines.”
Other co-signers of the endorse-
ment letter include Dr. Rob Grierson,
medical director of the Winnipeg Fire
Paramedic Service; Dr. Erin Knight,
medical lead for the provincial rapid
access to addictions medicine clinics
and president of the Canadian Society
of Addictions Medicine; and Rob Fry,
CEO of mental health and addictions
for Shared Health.
Knight, Grierson and Fry were un-
available for interviews Wednesday.
Progressive Conservative Leader
Obby Khan said he has many ques-
tions about the proposed legislation
and the detox centre, including how
much it will cost to operate, who
will staff it and how safety will be
ensured. He raised concerns about
where other centres could be opened
in the future.
“We can still support the concept
of it, but the devil is in the details,”
Khan said. “Will this turn into a drug
consumption site? I don’t know. These
are questions we are asking.”
Last week, Bill 48 passed second
reading, with Tory support.
The legislative committee that is
reviewing the bill will hear public
presentations this evening.
— with files from Carol Sanders
tyler.searle@freepress.mb.ca
M
ANITOBA Public Insurance has reported
it lost $19.7 million in the last fiscal year,
just as it’s seeking a 2.07 per cent rate hike
to overall basic insurance rates.
The Crown public insurer released its annual
report Wednesday, on the second day of the an-
nual rate hearing before the Public Utilities
Board. MPI reported the net loss of $19.7 million,
for the year ending March 31, 2025 — which is far
better than the $129.5 million hit it took one year
earlier.
“Like many organizations, MPI continues to
face the effects of rising claim costs, global tar-
iffs, and the potential impact on the auto industry,
inflationary pressures and shifting political dy-
namics,” MPI board chair Carmen Nedohin said
in a statement.
“We have remained focused and pragmatic in
the face of this volatility. Through careful finan-
cial stewardship that saw an increase in earn-
ings over the previous year and proactive risk
management, we have taken meaningful steps
to safeguard MPI and protect the investments of
Manitobans.”
Earlier this year, MPI asked the PUB for per-
mission to increase its basic insurance rates by an
average of $21 per year, or 2.07 per cent, for the
average private passenger vehicle. If approved,
drivers won’t start paying the increase until April
1, 2026 and March 31, 2027, depending on when
their insurance is renewed.
Last year, the board imposed a 5.7 per cent in-
crease even though MPI had asked for a three
per cent increase; in 2023, the board ordered a
five per cent increase when MPI asked for no in-
crease.
MPI said the total number of claims went up
by 2.1 per cent, to 280,300, in the last fiscal year,
while the total cost of claims reached $1.2 billion.
The insurer lost $39.6 million on the basic insur-
ance side of its business, up from an $80.2-million
loss one year earlier, but it earned net income of
$53.7 million on the extension side.
At the driver and vehicle licensing section of
its business, it reported a net loss of $29.7 million,
more than double the $13.2 million it lost in 2023-
24.
“Fiscal prudence continues to be the order of
the day,” Nedohin said. “Our goal is to provide the
best service to Manitobans at an affordable cost,
and we need to make the dollars and cents work.”
Other statistics in the MPI report include:
• MPI received an average of 1,121 claims per
working day;
• The insurer received 267,323 property dam-
age claims;
• The average number of Autopac policies is 1.3
million;
• and there were 12,977 third party-liability
bodily injury and Personal Injury Protection Plan
injury claims reported. MPI says PIPP makes
sure Manitobans who are injured in vehicle colli-
sions are “fairly compensated for their economic
losses.”
kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca
NEWS
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2025
VOL 154 NO 281
Winnipeg Free Press est 1872 / Winnipeg Tribune est 1890
2025 Winnipeg Free Press,
a division of FP Canadian Newspapers Limited Partnership.
Published six days a week in print and always online
at 1355 Mountain Avenue,
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R2X 3B6, PH: 204-697-7000
CEO / MIKE POWER
Editor / PAUL SAMYN
Associate Editor Enterprise / SCOTT GIBBONS
Associate Editor News / STACEY THIDRICKSON
Associate Editor Digital News / WENDY SAWATZKY
Director Photo and Multimedia / MIKE APORIUS
NEWSMEDIA COUNCIL
The Winnipeg Free Press is a member of the National
Newsmedia Council, which is an independent organization
established to determine acceptable journalistic practices and
ethical behaviour. If you have concerns about editorial content,
please send them to:
editorialconcerns@freepress.mb.ca.
If you are not satisfied with the response and wish to file a
formal complaint, visit the website at www.mediacouncil.ca and
fill out the form or call toll-free 1-844-877-1163 for additional
information.
ADVERTISING
Classified (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7100
wfpclass@freepress.mb.ca
Obituaries (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7384
Display Advertising : 204-697-7122
FP.Advertising@freepress.mb.ca
EDITORIAL
Newsroom/tips: 204-697-7292
Fax: 204-697-7412
Photo desk: 204-697-7304
Sports desk: 204-697-7285
Business news: 204-697-7292
Photo REPRINTS:
libraryservices@winnipegfreepress.com
City desk / City.desk@freepress.mb.ca
CANADA POST SALES AGREEMENT NO. 0563595
Recycled newsprint is used in the
production of the newspaper.
PLEASE RECYCLE.
INSIDE
Arts and Life C1
Business B5
Classifieds D8
Comics C5
Diversions C6, 7
Horoscope C4
Miss Lonelyhearts C4
Obituaries D7
Opinion A6, 7
Sports D1
Television C4
Weather B8
What’s Up C2
COLUMNISTS:
Dan Lett A4
Stephen Borys A7
Peter McKenna A7
Jeff Hamilton D1
READER SERVICE ● GENERAL INQUIRIES 204-697-7000
CIRCULATION INQUIRIES
MISSING OR INCOMPLETE PAPER?
Call or email before 10 a.m. weekdays
or 11 a.m. Saturday
City: 204-697-7001
Outside Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900 press 1
6:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday-Friday.;
7 a.m. - noon Saturday; Closed Sunday
TO SUBSCRIBE: 204-697-7001
Out of Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900
The Free Press receives support from
the Local Journalism Initiative funded
by the Government of Canada
DETOX ● FROM A1
MPI reports $19.7-M loss as it seeks rate increase
KEVIN ROLLASON
THE city’s legal department is propos-
ing Winnipeg pay $7 million to settle
lawsuits filed by three First Nations
men wrongfully convicted of the 1973
slaying of a restaurant worker.
Allan Woodhouse and Brian Ander-
son, members of Pinaymootang First
Nation in the Interlake, were formally
acquitted of the 1973 slaying of Ting
Fong Chan in 2023, and filed lawsuits in
Court of King’s Bench in 2024 over the
miscarriage of justice.
Clarence Woodhouse, who was for-
mally acquitted of the killing in Octo-
ber 2024, filed his lawsuit last Febru-
ary. A fourth convicted man, Russell
Woodhouse, died in 2011.
The federal justice minister has or-
dered the Manitoba Court of Appeal to
review Russell Woodhouse’s conviction.
That review has not yet occurred.
His estate is not among the plaintiffs
seeking damages from the city and the
provincial and federal governments.
The parties and the men’s lawyers
met for mediation in front of King’s
Bench Justice Ken Champagne during
the summer in an attempt to settle the
matter without going to trial.
The city’s interim director of legal
services, Ashley Pledger, recom-
mended council’s executive policy
committee vote to approve a $7-million
contribution to the potential settlement
proposed during those meetings.
“If the recommended settlement is
not approved, the city will need to incur
significant external legal and related
costs to continue the litigation,” Pledg-
er wrote.
Pledger made the recommendation
in an administrative report ahead of
EPC’s meeting next week.
Mayor Scott Gillingham said he ex-
pects to vote in favour of the settlement.
“That’s what the courts have said, so
the city has an obligation to make good
on what the courts have instructed us
to do,” Gillingham said. “But first and
foremost, we’re going to be having dis-
cussions with city staff at the meeting.”
Civic bureaucrats are negotiating
with insurance companies that covered
the city at the time over the amounts
those firms will contribute, but the in-
surance payout is expected to be less
than the settlement figure, meaning
some of the money will have to come
directly from the municipal govern-
ment, Pledger wrote in her report,
which was made public this week.
If the settlement is approved by all
the parties, the lawsuits will be discon-
tinued.
“If the claims are not settled, next
steps include the exchange of documen-
tary disclosure, examinations of the
parties and the retainer of experts re-
garding liability and the assessment of
damages,” she wrote in the report.
“These steps are expected to take
years and cost hundreds of thousands
of dollars.”
Pledger recommended the commit-
tee approve an over-expenditure of
$500,000 for the city to pay outside law-
yers and other costs, if council does not
approve the settlement offer.
It was not clear Wednesday what fi-
nancial figures the federal and provin-
cial governments may have offered as
part of the mediation process, known as
a judicially assisted dispute resolution.
Ian McLeod, a spokesman for the
federal Department of Justice, said the
process and anything arising out of it is
confidential. He declined further com-
ment.
Ryan Stelter, a provincial government
spokesman, said he could not comment
on the settlement details, “which the
parties agreed would be confidential.”
The claims allege misfeasance in
public office, false arrest, false im-
prisonment, conspiracy, negligent in-
vestigation, malicious prosecution, con-
stitutional and human rights violations
and breaches of statutory duties.
The four men are represented by law-
yer James Lockyer of Innocence Can-
ada — a non-profit organization that
identifies and advocates for the wrong-
fully convicted. Lockyer spent years
advocating and arguing their convic-
tions were miscarriages of justice.
He would not comment Wednesday.
The three living men, as well as
Russell Woodhouse, were convicted in
1974 of the killing of Ting Fong Chan, a
40-year-old father of two, in 1973.
The four were charged based on
questionable eyewitness testimony and
what later were determined to be fabri-
cated confessions. Despite all four hav-
ing only a poor grasp of English, police
produced a full confession written in
English.
The men testified Winnipeg police of-
ficers beat them during interviews, but
the judge refused to believe them.
The cases were prosecuted by Crown
attorney George Dangerfield, who was
involved in several wrongful murder
convictions. He died in 2023.
Anderson served 10 years behind
bars, Clarence Woodhouse spent 12
years in prison and Allan Woodhouse
served 23, before they were declared
innocent. Russell Woodhouse also
served time.
Federal Justice Minister Sean Fraser
ordered the Manitoba’s high court to re-
view the late Russell Woodhouse’s con-
viction last month. A notice of appeal
was filed on Oct. 1, but the matter has
not yet been heard.
It’s the first time a federal attorney
general has asked for a judicial review
after the death of an applicant.
erik.pindera@freepress.mb.ca
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
A proposed detox centre at 190 Disraeli Freeway could open in Point Douglas as early as Nov. 1.
Settlement of $7M recommended in wrongful convictions of 3 Indigenous men
ERIK PINDERA
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
Manitoba Public Insurance is seeking a 2.07 per cent rate
hike to overall basic insurance rates.
;