Winnipeg Free Press

Monday, October 20, 2025

Issue date: Monday, October 20, 2025
Pages available: 28
Previous edition: Saturday, October 18, 2025

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions

Logos

About Winnipeg Free Press

  • Publication name: Winnipeg Free Press
  • Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
  • Pages available: 28
  • Years available: 1872 - 2025
Learn more about this publication

About NewspaperArchive.com

  • 3.12+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to One of the World's Largest Newspaper Archives!

Start your Genealogy Search Now!

OCR Text

Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - October 20, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba October 24 - In-Service Day Camp - for kids in grades 1-6 Step into the world of animal adaptations at the Zoo! Explore which animals use their tales and how it helps them survive. Visit assiniboinepark.ca to register now! OPEN DAILY SCHOOL OUT? ZOO CAMP IS IN! JERUSALEM — Gaza’s fragile cease- fire faced its first major test Sunday as Israeli forces launched a wave of dead- ly strikes, saying Hamas militants had killed two soldiers, and an Israeli secu- rity official said the transfer of aid into the territory was halted. The military later said it resumed enforcing the ceasefire, and the official confirmed that aid deliveries would resume today. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he’s not authorized to discuss the issue with the media. A little over a week has passed since the start of the U.S.-proposed cease- fire aimed at ending two years of war. U.S. President Donald Trump said the ceasefire remained in place and “we want to make sure it’s going to be very peaceful.” He told reporters aboard Air Force One on Sunday that Hamas has been “quite rambunctious” and “they’ve been doing some shooting.” He sug- gested that the violence might be the fault of “rebels” within the organiza- tion rather than its leadership. “It’s going to be handled toughly but properly,” he said. Trump did not say whether he thought the Israeli strikes were justified, saying “it’s under review.” Vice-President JD Vance said Sunday that he may visit Israel in the coming days. “We’re trying to figure it out,” he told reporters, saying the adminis- tration wants to “go and check on how things are going.” Regarding the ceasefire, he said that, “there’s going to be fits and starts.” Health officials said at least 36 Palestinians were killed across Gaza, including children. Israel’s military said it struck dozens of Hamas targets after its troops came under fire. T HE Manitoba government has been taking longer to respond to freedom of information requests and collecting more money from people filing them, newly released figures show. Government departments and agen- cies fulfilled more than 1,200 freedom of information requests in the fiscal year that ended in March, said the government’s annual report on its freedom of information law, released last week. A little more than half — 55 per cent — were completed within the normal 45-day period required by law, or after more time under an allowable extension in cases involving a large volume of records or where other gov- ernments or people must be consulted. That on-time completion rate was down from 69 per cent the previous year and 70 per cent the year before. People seeking information paid more than $13,000 collectively — more than triple the amount in the previous year and more than 10 times the amount collected the year before that. One expert said higher fees could have a dampening effect on people who seek information from the pro- vincial government and other public bodies covered under the law. “Higher fees could discourage requests from individuals who do not have access to discretionary income for such a purpose,” said Paul Thom- as, professor emeritus of political science at the University of Manitoba. The NDP government, elected in October 2023, said the delays are driven partly by the recent central- ization of the handling of information requests under the Finance depart- ment. SERVING MANITOBA SINCE 1872 PROUDLY CANADIAN MONDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2025 TODAY’S WEATHER RAIN. HIGH 7 — LOW 5 SPORTS BLUE JAYS FORCE ALCS GAME 7 / C1 JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS HEARTS ON THE RUN Giecel Remocal (from left), Jodie Lumarque and Jonna Lumarque cheer on runners participating Sunday in the 13th edition of the WFPS Run in support of the Heart and Stroke Foundation. For more photos, turn to page A8. CHRIS KITCHING WINNIPEG police made arrests in a second assault at a Charleswood high school, while investigating an attack against a different student who is a newcomer from Ukraine. The 14-year-old newcomer’s mother said a group of girls was allegedly responsible for both assaults, which occurred a day apart in the same washroom at Oak Park High School. “It’s a really serious situation,” the mother told the Free Press. “I feel so sad. I was shocked when I found out (about the other assault).” Both victims are from Ukraine, said the mother, who does not believe they were targeted because of their backgrounds. Two girls are facing charges in the assault of her daughter, which happened Oct. 2. She said one of the suspects was among two who were arrested for the other assault, which occurred Oct. 1. The three suspects were expelled, while two other students were sus- pended, said the mother, whom the Free Press is not naming. Pembina Trails School Division would not provide details of the inci- dents, nor would it say if any students were disciplined. Division spokes- woman Radean Carter said the Oct. 1 incident was not immediately report- ed to the school. Last week, the mother of the Oct. 2 victim met with Oak Park’s principal and police to discuss a safety plan for her daughter. It came after she originally spoke to the Free Press because she wasn’t satisfied with the way the situation was being handled. “The last meeting showed me the school is starting to work at this situ- ation,” said the woman, whose family moved to Canada after Russia’s unpro- voked invasion of Ukraine in 2022. “I feel they are doing everything, step- by-step, that they need to do.” Carter said the school and the division are providing “extensive” supports to the students involved. Arrests in second assault at high school ● ASSAULT, CONTINUED ON A2 Longer waits, higher fees for information requests STEVE LAMBERT ‘Could discourage requests’ from Manitobans with limited income ● INFORMATION, CONTINUED ON A2 Renewed fighting tests Gaza ceasefire, Israel briefly halts aid JOSEF FEDERMAN AND SAMY MAGDY ● CEASEFIRE, CONTINUED ON A3 ;