Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - October 21, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
B4
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
P
ARIS — The Louvre remained
closed Monday, a day after his-
toric jewels were stolen from the
world’s most-visited museum in a dar-
ing daylight heist that prompted au-
thorities to reassess security measures
at cultural sites across France.
The museum’s staff asked dozens of
visitors who were queuing in front of
the glass pyramid entrance to leave. In
a message posted on social media, the
Louvre said visitors who have booked
tickets will be refunded. It did not pro-
vide additional details. The Louvre will
also be closed on Tuesday, its weekly
closing day.
On Sunday, thieves rode a basket lift
up the Louvre’s facade, forced a win-
dow, smashed display cases and fled
with priceless Napoleonic jewels, offi-
cials said. The theft occurred about 30
minutes after the museum opened, with
visitors already inside, and was among
the highest-profile museum thefts in
living memory.
It unfolded just 250 metres from the
Mona Lisa, in what Culture Minister
Rachida Dati described as a profession-
al operation that lasted just a few min-
utes.
French Justice Minister Gerald Dar-
manin acknowledged security failures
on Monday.
“One can wonder about the fact that,
for example, the windows hadn’t been
secured, about the fact that a basket lift
was on a public road,” he said on France
Inter radio. “Having (previously) been
interior minister, I know that we cannot
completely secure all places, but what
is certain is that we have failed.”
Interior Minister Laurent Nunez
ordered prefects across France to im-
mediately reassess security measures
protecting museums and other cultural
sites and enhance them if needed.
Culture Minister Rachida Dati said
investigators are working on evidence
found at the scene.
“We did find motorcycles and they
have a licence plate,” Dati said on news
broadcaster CNews. “I also want to pay
tribute to the security officers who pre-
vented the basket lift from being set on
fire. One of the criminals tried to set
it on fire, but they forced him to flee.
This allowed us to recover evidence at
the scene.”
Officials said the heist lasted less
than eight minutes in total, includ-
ing less than four minutes inside the
Louvre. “They went straight to the dis-
play windows, they knew exactly what
they wanted. They were very efficient.”
Dati said.
Dati stressed that a decade-long
“Louvre New Renaissance” plan that
was launched earlier this year includes
security improvements.
“When the Louvre Museum was de-
signed, it was not meant to accommo-
date 10 million visitors,” she said.
The 700-million-euro (US$760-mil-
lion) plan is intended to modernize
infrastructure, ease crowding and give
the Mona Lisa a dedicated gallery by
2031.
Sunday’s theft focused on the gilded
Apollo Gallery, where the Crown Dia-
monds are displayed. Alarms brought
Louvre agents to the room, forcing the
intruders to bolt, but the robbery was
already over.
A worker in the Louvre filmed a per-
son in the Apollo Gallery on Sunday
morning wearing a yellow jacket and
standing by a glass encasing, according
to video viewed and verified by BFM
television. It is unclear whether the per-
son is one of the suspects.
Eight objects were taken, according
to officials: a sapphire diadem, neck-
lace and single earring from a match-
ing set linked to 19th-century French
queens Marie-Amélie and Hortense;
an emerald necklace and earrings
from the matching set of Empress
Marie-Louise, Napoleon Bonaparte’s
second wife; a reliquary brooch; and
Empress Eugénie’s diadem and her
large corsage-bow brooch, a prized
19th-century imperial ensemble.
One object, the emerald-set imperial
crown of Napoleon III’s wife, Empress
Eugénie, containing more than 1,300
diamonds, was later found outside the
museum, French authorities said.
— The Associated Press
NICOLAS Sarkozy will become the
first former French president in living
memory to be imprisoned when he is
expected to begin a five-year sentence
today in Paris’ La Santé prison.
Convicted of criminal conspiracy in
a scheme to finance his 2007 election
campaign with funds from Libya, Sar-
kozy maintains his innocence. Regard-
less, he will be admitted to serve his
time in a prison that has held some of
the most high-profile inmates since the
19th century. They include Capt. Alfred
Dreyfus, wrongly convicted of treason
because he was Jewish, and the Vene-
zuelan militant known as Carlos the
Jackal, who carried out several attacks
on French soil.
Sarkozy told Le Figaro newspaper
that he expects to be held in solitary
confinement, where he would be kept
away from all other prisoners for sec-
urity reasons. Another possibility is
that he is held in the prison’s section
for “vulnerable” inmates, colloquially
known as the VIP section.
Former La Santé inmates described
their experiences and what the for-
mer president might expect to face.
The prison, which was inaugurated in
1867, has been fully renovated in recent
years.
“It’s not Nicolas Sarkozy, president
of the Republic, that’s coming … It’s a
man and he will live exactly the same
thing that everyone” does, Pierre Bot-
ton, a former businessman-turned-au-
thor who was imprisoned in La Santé’s
vulnerable section between 2020 and
2022 for misappropriation of funds
from a charitable organization, told The
Associated Press.
In an unprecedented judgment, the
Paris judge ruled that Sarkozy would
start to serve prison time without wait-
ing for his appeal to be heard, due to
“the seriousness of the disruption to
public order caused by the offence.”
The former president has denied any
wrongdoing and protested the decision
that he should be imprisoned pending
appeal.
“I’m not afraid of prison. I’ll hold
my head high, including in front of the
doors of La Santé,” Sarkozy told La
Tribune Dimanche newspaper. “I’ll
fight till the end.”
La Tribune Dimanche reports Sar-
kozy has his prison bag ready with
clothes and 10 family photos he is al-
lowed to bring.
Sarkozy also told Le Figaro news-
paper he would bring three books —
the maximum allowed — including The
Count of Monte Cristo in two volumes
and a biography of Jesus Christ. The
hero of The Count of Monte Cristo by
French author Alexandre Dumas, es-
capes from an island prison where he
spent 14 years before seeking revenge.
One of Sarkozy’s sons, Louis, called
for a rally this morning in support of
his father in the high-end Paris neigh-
bourhood where Sarkozy lives with his
wife Carla Bruni-Sarkozy. The super-
model-turned-singer has shared photos
of Sarkozy’s children and songs in his
honour on her social media feeds since
his conviction.
Under the ruling, the 70-year-old Sar-
kozy will only be able to file a request
for release to the appeals court once
he is behind bars, and judges will then
have up to two months to process the
request.
The National Financial Prosecutor’s
office told Sarkozy the specifics of his
detention last Monday, but details have
not been made public. Justice Minister
Gérald Darmanin confirmed that Sar-
kozy will enter La Santé today and that
he’ll personally visit him to make sure
security conditions are met.
In the so-called VIP section, Sarkozy
could have his own room in one of 18
identical 96.8-sq.-ft. cells in a wing
separated from other general prison
inmates.
Botton, who says he has known Sar-
kozy for decades, expressed doubt that
the former president will be accorded
many special privileges in prison.
“Even if you are president of the Re-
public, even if you are a very rich man,
you decide nothing.”
— The Associated Press
NEWS I WORLD
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2025
Minn. woman
who cast dead
mother’s ballot for
Trump must write
essay on voting
JACK DURA
A MINNESOTA woman convicted of
filling out and submitting a mail-in bal-
lot for her deceased mother in support
of Republican Donald Trump during
the 2024 presidential election was or-
dered by a judge to write an essay and
read a book about voting’s importance
to democracy.
Trump, who won a second term last
year, has railed against mail-in voting
as fraudulent and falsely claimed it as
one reason he lost the 2020 election to
Democrat Joe Biden. Itasca County At-
torney Jake Fauchald said the Minne-
sota case shows how well the election
system works and catches attempted
voter fraud.
Danielle Christine Miller, 51, of Nash-
wauk, in a rural area about three hours
north of Minneapolis, was charged
last fall with three felonies after local
election officials notified authorities
in October about two absentee ballots
that had been flagged for fraud. One of
those was from a registered voter who
had died, Miller’s mother.
According to court papers, Miller told
an investigator that she had filled out
her mother’s absentee ballot and signed
her mother’s name on its signature en-
velope. She said her mother was an avid
Trump supporter and wanted to vote for
him, but she died in August 2024 before
receiving an absentee ballot, according
to the complaint. Miller also said she
signed her mother’s signature as a wit-
ness on her own ballot, the document
said.
Miller pleaded guilty last week to
intentionally making or signing a
false certificate. As part her plea, she
claimed she was intoxicated when sub-
mitting the mail ballots and was unable
to precisely remember what she did, but
agreed that the evidence could find her
guilty, Fauchald said. A message left for
Miller’s attorney was not immediately
returned.
Minnesota Ninth Judicial District
Judge Heidi Chandler on Wednesday
dismissed the other two charges. Mil-
ler’s sentence includes up to three years
of supervised probation and an $885
fine.
The judge also imposed some other
unorthodox conditions.
Miller must read a book about the his-
tory of voting in America and current
related issues, Thank You for Voting:
The Maddening, Enlightening, Inspir-
ing Truth About Voting in America, by
Erin Geiger Smith; and she was ordered
to write a 10-page paper “regarding the
importance in voting in a democracy
and how election fraud can undermine
the voting process.”
Fauchald said the sentence is a fair
outcome. He called the paper a unique
aspect of sentencing, but a fair expect-
ation.
— The Associated Press
Myanmar military raids
major cybercrime centre
BANGKOK — Myanmar’s military has
shut down a major online scam oper-
ation near the border with Thailand,
detaining more than 2,000 people and
seizing dozens of Starlink satellite in-
ternet terminals, state media reported
Monday.
Myanmar is notorious for hosting
cyberscam operations responsible for
bilking people all over the world. These
usually involve gaining victims’ confi-
dence online with romantic ploys and
bogus investment pitches.
The centres are infamous for re-
cruiting workers from other countries
under false pretences, promising them
legitimate jobs and then holding them
captive and forcing them to carry out
criminal activities.
Scam operations were in the inter-
national spotlight last week when the
United States and Britain enacted sanc-
tions against organizers of a major
Cambodian cyberscam gang, and its
alleged ringleader was indicted by a
federal court in New York.
According to a report in Monday’s
Myanma Alinn newspaper, the army
raided KK Park, a well-documented
cybercrime centre, as part of oper-
ations starting in early September to
suppress online fraud, illegal gambling,
and cross-border cybercrime.
It published photos displaying seized
Starlink equipment and soldiers said to
be carrying out the raid, though it was
unclear when exactly they were taken.
KK Park is located on the outskirts
of Myawaddy, a major trading town on
the border with Thailand in Myanmar’s
Kayin state. The area is only loosely
under the control of Myanmar’s military
government, and also falls under the in-
fluence of ethnic minority militias.
There have been previous crack-
downs on cyberscam operations in My-
anmar earlier this year and in 2023.
— The Associated Press
EMMA DA SILVA / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Police patrol at the Louvre museum the day after Sunday’s jewels robbery in Paris.
Former French president set to start
serving five-year prison sentence
JEFFREY SCHAEFFER
AND NICOLAS GARRIGA
Louvre remains closed
one day after jewel heist
SYLVIE CORBET
Police hunt thieves as France reassesses security at museums, culture sites
CHRISTOPHE ENA / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILES
Nicolas Sarkozy leaves a Paris court Sept. 25
after being sentenced to fiv years in prison.
U.S. nuclear
security
furloughs
workers
as part of
shutdown
MATTHEW DALY
WASHINGTON — The federal agency
tasked with overseeing the U.S. nucle-
ar stockpile has begun furloughing
employees as part of the ongoing fed-
eral government shutdown, Energy
Secretary Chris Wright said Monday.
In a visit to Nevada, Wright said the
National Nuclear Security Admin-
istration is furloughing 1,400 feder-
al workers as part of the shutdown,
which began Oct. 1. Nearly 400 federal
workers will remain on the job, along
with thousands of NNSA contractors,
the Energy Department said. The
NNSA, a semi-autonomous branch of
the Energy Department, also works to
secure nuclear materials around the
world.
“Tough day today,” Wright said in
Las Vegas before a scheduled visit to
the Nevada National Security Site in
Mercury, Nev. “We’re working hard
to protect everyone’s jobs and keep
our national stockpile secure,” Wright
said.
The furloughs do not pose an im-
mediate threat to national security,
Wright said, adding: “We have emer-
gency employees and the current nu-
clear stockpile is safe.”
President Donald Trump’s Republic-
an administration fired hundreds of
NNSA employees earlier this year, be-
fore reversing course amid criticism
the action could jeopardize national
security. Similar criticism emerged
Monday after Wright’s announcement.
Wright said the disruption would af-
fect employees and their families and
will delay testing of commercial react-
ors, including some small modular re-
actors that the Trump administration
has pushed as a cheaper alternative
to costly nuclear plants that can take
years or even decades to bring online.
“These are jobs of great gravity,”
Wright said, urging congressional
leaders to reopen the government as
soon as possible.
Democratic Sen. Ed Markey of Mas-
sachusetts said it was “dangerously
unacceptable that the Trump adminis-
tration claims it will have to tempor-
arily suspend certain nuclear security
programs because of the ongoing gov-
ernment shutdown.”
“There is no justification for relax-
ing security and oversight when it
comes to our nuclear stockpile,” Mar-
key said.
House Armed Services Committee
Chairman Mike Rogers, R-Ala., said
lawmakers were informed of the pend-
ing furloughs late last week.
“These are not employees that you
want to go home,” he said at a news
conference Friday. “They’re manag-
ing and handling a very important
strategic asset for us. They need to be
at work and being paid.”
Republican Sen. Roger Wicker of
Mississippi, who chairs the Senate
Armed Services Committee, called the
furloughs unacceptable.
“We cannot allow delays or interrup-
tions to our nuclear programs during
this shutdown. This is not a partisan
issue, and for the sake of our nation-
al security” Congress should immedi-
ately reopen the government, Wicker
said in a statement. “In the interim, it
is incumbent upon Secretary Wright
to work with Congress, OMB and the
White House to ensure our nuclear
weapons stockpile remains safe, se-
cure and capable of deterring our ad-
versaries.”
At the heart of the government
shutdown are looming health insur-
ance spikes for millions of people.
Democrats are seeking negotiations on
expiring health care subsidies while
Republicans say they won’t discuss it,
or any other policy, until the govern-
ment reopens.
The February firings, which initially
included NNSA workers, were part of
a massive purge of federal workers led
by then-Trump adviser Elon Musk and
his Department of Government Effi-
ciency.
One of the hardest-hit offices at the
time was the Pantex Plant near Ama-
rillo, Texas. Those employees work on
reassembling warheads, among the
most sensitive jobs across the nuclear
weapons enterprise, with the highest
levels of clearance.
Employees received furlough notices
dated Sunday for 30 days or less, with
an expiration date of Nov. 18. Employ-
ees who are not involved in performing
critical functions such as those related
to the safety of human life and the pro-
tection of property or working on the
orderly suspension of operations were
being placed in a furlough status with-
out pay.
— The Associated Press
;