Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - October 29, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 29, 2025
A2
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
NEWS
VOL 154 NO 292
Winnipeg Free Press est 1872 / Winnipeg Tribune est 1890
2024 Winnipeg Free Press,
a division of FP Canadian Newspapers Limited Partnership.
Published six days a week in print and always online
at 1355 Mountain Avenue,
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R2X 3B6, PH: 204-697-7000
CEO / MIKE POWER
Editor / PAUL SAMYN
Associate Editor Enterprise / SCOTT GIBBONS
Associate Editor News / STACEY THIDRICKSON
Associate Editor Digital News / WENDY SAWATZKY
Director Photo and Multimedia / MIKE APORIUS
NEWSMEDIA COUNCIL
The Winnipeg Free Press is a member of the National
Newsmedia Council, which is an independent organization
established to determine acceptable journalistic practices and
ethical behaviour. If you have concerns about editorial content,
please send them to:
editorialconcerns@freepress.mb.ca.
If you are not satisfied with the response and wish to file a
formal complaint, visit the website at www.mediacouncil.ca and
fill out the form or call toll-free 1-844-877-1163 for additional
information.
ADVERTISING
Classified (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7100
wfpclass@freepress.mb.ca
Obituaries (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7384
Display Advertising : 204-697-7122
FP.Advertising@freepress.mb.ca
EDITORIAL
Newsroom/tips: 204-697-7292
Fax: 204-697-7412
Photo desk: 204-697-7304
Sports desk: 204-697-7285
Business news: 204-697-7292
Photo REPRINTS:
libraryservices@winnipegfreepress.com
City desk / City.desk@freepress.mb.ca
CANADA POST SALES AGREEMENT NO. 0563595
Recycled newsprint is used in the
production of the newspaper.
PLEASE RECYCLE.
INSIDE
Arts and Life C1
Classifieds D7
Comics C5
Diversions C6-7
Horoscope C4
Jumble C6
Miss Lonelyhearts C4
Business B5
Opinion A6-7
Sports D1
Television C4
Weather B8
COLUMNISTS:
Tom Brodbeck A5
Deveryn Ross A7
READER SERVICE ● GENERAL INQUIRIES 204-697-7000
CIRCULATION INQUIRIES
MISSING OR INCOMPLETE PAPER?
Call or email before 10 a.m. weekdays
or 11 a.m. Saturday
City: 204-697-7001
Outside Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900 press 1
6:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday-Friday.;
7 a.m. - noon Saturday; Closed Sunday
TO SUBSCRIBE: 204-697-7001
Out of Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900
The Free Press receives support from
the Local Journalism Initiative funded
by the Government of Canada
Panicked B.C. citizens could learn from Naawi-Oodena
T
HE mayor of Richmond, B.C.,
caused a panic when he wrote a
letter to 150 property owners in
the city last week.
“Please take note that the recent B.C.
Supreme Court decision of Cowichan
Tribes v. Canada, made some very
important decisions which could nega-
tively affect the title to your property,”
Mayor Malcolm Brodie wrote.
“The court has declared Aboriginal
title to your property, which may com-
promise the status and validity of your
ownership.”
Nothing could be further from the
truth, but the letter caused anxiety
throughout British Columbia anyway.
During a trip to the West Coast this
past weekend, the situation in Rich-
mond was all people wanted to talk
about.
It’s something people in Manitoba
have already experienced — and
learned from.
In August, B.C. Supreme Court
Judge Barbara Young granted Quw’ut-
sun (Cowichan Nation) title over 7.5
square kilometres of riverfront land
within the city of Richmond. The
Crown now must negotiate “for the
reconciliation of their Aboriginal title.”
In her decision, Young said her
recognition of the land title of the
Cowichan does not “displace private
owners” (also called “fee simple” own-
ers) but, rather, orders a negotiation
process to begin.
The mayor of Richmond didn’t care
much about that, though.
When Brodie wrote to owners about
the affected properties in the area,
he may as well have said: the big bad
native people are coming, so watch
out for your home, your livelihood and
everything else.
B.C. Premier David Eby has said the
province is working with the City of
Richmond to appeal the decision.
These kinds of decisions are taking
place all across B.C., as the prov-
ince comes to grips with the fact the
Crown never pursued treaties past the
Rocky Mountains. All of the province
is illegitimately occupied and legally
unceded.
This has resulted in some modern
treaties, such as for the Nisga’a, Tsaw-
wassen, Maa-nulth and Tla’amin — or
interesting anomalous situations, such
as when former prime minister Justin
Trudeau recognized Haida Gwaii as
“Haida Aboriginal title” during his
final week in office.
In all of these cases, Indigenous title
and Canadian title have found ways
to coexist. Yet, the fear-mongering
continues.
Manitoba learned this when the for-
mer Kapyong Barracks, a 64-hectare
site on Route 90 bordering the River
Heights and Tuxedo neighbourhoods in
Winnipeg, was given to the seven First
Nations who constitute Treaty 1. All
were owed land that was never provid-
ed under the terms of the original 1870
agreement.
After a long court battle and negoti-
ation, a deal was forged to hand over
the area in 2019. In 2022, the land was
designated an urban reserve and plan-
ning begun.
In the midst of all of that was a great
deal of paranoia, anxiety and misinfor-
mation about what would happen to one
of the most affluent areas of Winnipeg.
Over the years, fears (based, frankly,
on long-standing stereotypes) ran ram-
pant that gang houses, meth labs or a
drug rehab clinic would pop up.
Manitobans now know that Naa-
wi-Oodena represents a gas station
(one of the few in the area, in fact) and
— what will one day be — kilometres
of green space, a multi-use sport com-
plex, 1,000 residential units, 750,000
square feet of commercial space and
nearly $100 million in infrastructure.
In other words: Treaty 1 came, saw
and created a space for all citizens to
enjoy.
It’s a lesson citizens in Richmond,
B.C., will now learn, too.
“This case was never about chal-
lenging the fee simple with respect
to privately owned lands,” said David
Rosenberg, lead counsel for the Co-
wichan Nation. “The case was brought
against the Crown for return of public
lands that were wrongfully taken. We
have a decision that now recognizes
that Aboriginal title and fee simple
interest can and do coexist.”
The negotiations to sort all of this out
will take years, maybe even a lifetime.
There is even another First Nation, the
Musqueam, disputing the Cowichan
claim.
There is no easy solution to this com-
plicated situation.
A long negotiation could produce
many things, such as a form of
“co-government” between the Co-
wichan and the City of Richmond, a
shared tax revenue system or the sim-
ple offer of land or money as compen-
sation for loss.
It won’t involve Canadians being
kicked out on the street.
There is a lot of uncertainty, but it’s
far better than the huge mess of hav-
ing no clarity regarding the thousands
of Indigenous land claims throughout
B.C.
That’s not to mention the deep harm
and division that’s created when fear
and anxiety confuse and create misin-
formation.
niigaan.sinclair@freepress.mb.ca
NIIGAAN SINCLAIR
OPINION
The study used data modelling to
estimate how much the bears leave
behind after they feast on ringed seals.
Because they are “blubber special-
ists,” Gamblin said, the bears eat much
of the seal fat, but unlike some other
carnivores, they don’t guard or hoard
their prey. Dragging their prey —
seals or even narwhals — up onto the
sea ice helps scavengers survive.
Even rare scavengers, such as griz-
zly bears and snowy owls, have come
to the table for the spoils of a polar
bear’s hunt, the study found. Previous
research from Gamblin’s lab at U of M
has found the Arctic fox population is
directly linked to polar bears’ “hunting
success.”
This study points to the importance
of conservation efforts.
“This just highlights one other po-
tential impact of climate change, but it
really comes down to making changes
on a global scale that will reduce the
loss of sea ice,” Gamblin said.
The ecological benefits provided by
the bears are irreplaceable, she said.
“We already know how the Arctic
is warming at a rate of four times
the rest of the world, and we know
that we’re experiencing loss of sea
ice, and so, what our research group
is interested in doing is showing that
when we lose sea ice, we’re losing this
energy source for all kinds of different
species,” she said.
“It has the potential to impact much
further down into the food web.”
The issue of climate change hits
home in the polar bear capital of the
world.
There are fewer polar bears in and
around Churchill: one study, published
in 2022, estimated there are roughly
600 — half of the number of polar
bears that roamed the area 35 years
earlier, according to Polar Bears Inter-
national. The bears attract thousands
of tourists to Churchill each year:
more than 25,000 travellers visited in
2023. Tourism in Churchill contributes
$99.8 million to Manitoba’s economy, a
2024 economic impact study shows.
“It’s always good to see knowledge
like this formalized, but I think it will
come as no surprise to anyone who’s
spent some time watching bears that
they have a very important role in
supporting ecosystems and everything
that lives around them,” said Drew
Hamilton, co-owner of Discover Chur-
chill Tours.
Polar bear season in the northern
town, traditionally in October and No-
vember, has recorded above-seasonal
temperatures this year.
When Hamilton looked out his
window Tuesday, it was raining, not
snowing.
“It’s the talk of the town; every-
body’s wondering what the next couple
of months are going to hold … as the
sea ice comes or it doesn’t, these bears
stick around. The tourists all leave,
but the bears stick around. So then,
you have to take a hard look at what
it takes to co-exist with polar bears,”
Hamilton said, pointing to practical
concerns, such as the need for a bear-
proof trash management system in
town.
Hamilton, who has worked in Chur-
chill for about a decade and said he’s
“been in the bear business” since the
late ’90s in Alaska and other areas,
said he and other Churchill residents
are witnessing the realities of climate
change, and they need systems in
place to protect the bears, both for the
environment and the economy.
“This is changing before our eyes,
and hopefully that sparks some
urgency in both looking at polar bear
conservation and confronting climate
change,” he said.
katie.may@freepress.mb.ca
BEARS ● FROM A1
“Good ideas aren’t developed behind
closed doors on Parliament Hill,” Fra-
ser said. “They are developed through
conversation, engaging with people
who manage the justice system, who
work within the justice system and
the people on the front lines who help
promote public safety.”
He said when he mentioned Wiebe’s
idea to leaders in other jurisdictions
across the country, it became “painful-
ly obvious” they needed to take action.
“If we are going to count on people
to keep our community safe, the very
least we can do is make sure the law
returns the favour,” Fraser said.
“People who are subjected to
assaults when they are trying to save
lives, when they are trying to fight
fires, do not deserve to see the people
that assault them treated with impuni-
ty by the criminal justice system.”
The event was attended by Winnipeg
Mayor Scott Gillingham, United Fire
Fighters of Winnipeg president Nick
Kasper and Manitoba Government and
General Employees’ Union president
Kyle Ross.
Kasper said incidents of violence
against firefighters and paramedics
are on the rise across the country.
“Here in Winnipeg, we’ve seen near-
ly 100 assaults in 2025 alone,” he said.
“In one case, a firefighter was struck
in the face with a metal pole. Days
later, police had to disarm a patient
with a knife (who was) threatening
to kill (first responders). These are
not isolated events. They represent a
growing national crisis.”
The assault with the metal pole
happened while crews were respond-
ing to a vehicle fire in the 300 block of
Princess Avenue on July 11.
As the fire engine approached the
intersection, a man armed with the
pole struck the vehicle.
When the crew stopped and a
firefighter got out, he was confronted
and struck in the face with the pole,
causing minor injuries.
Police confirmed the accused was
out on bail at the time of the attack.
He’s been in custody since the incident,
court records show, with his next court
date scheduled for Nov. 17.
Both Kasper and Ross — whose
union represents 385 city paramed-
ics — said Tuesday’s announcement
represents a solid first step.
“Earlier this year, we surveyed our
members and the results were trou-
bling,” Ross said. “Ninety-three per
cent of our workers said they are ex-
posed to violence, and nearly a quarter
told us they face violence every day.
“The changes to the Criminal Code
are an important step in recognizing
the dangers paramedics face. While it
won’t stop an incident from happening,
these changes send a message that
first responders, what they do, and the
risks they take, matter.”
Gillingham was in Ottawa last week
to speak to the House of Commons jus-
tice committee; he called for multiple
reforms to reduce the risk of crime
being committed by repeat offenders.
“This legislation is critical because
it’s about our workers, about the men
and women that are moms and dads,
sons and daughters, who serve as
emergency responders in our commu-
nity,” Gillingham said Tuesday.
“They deserve protection, and this
legislation will provide that protec-
tion.”
In Ottawa Tuesday, grieving mother
Meechelle Best appeared before the
parliamentary justice committee to
advocate for bail reform.
Best’s daughter, Kellie Verwey, was
killed in a crash on Jan. 15 that was
allegedly caused by a man wanted by
police and was believed to have been
impaired when he fled the scene. The
accused, James Hilton, had been out on
bail on other charges, but had failed to
comply with his conditions, prompting
a warrant being issued for his arrest.
Hilton had been released into the
care of a private inpatient treatment
centre in Winnipeg in September 2024,
but fled the facility and was rearrest-
ed.
“We hear a lot these days about
rights — constitutional rights, individ-
ual rights, the rights of the accused
— but what about our rights?” Best told
the committee.
“What about Kellie’s right to safety?
What about our right to live in a
country where the laws protect the
innocent?”
The tragedy became a flashpoint in
the debate about bail reform as Man-
itoba politicians of all stripes unani-
mously called for an overhaul.
— with file from Tyler Searle
scott.billeck@freepress.mb.ca
BAIL REFORM ● FROM A1
The senior governments have not
formally committed to providing
that funding but the mayor is confi-
dent they will.
“We strongly believe, based on
our conversations, on the commit-
ments that have been made, that
we will secure cost-sharing on
the third phase (of the upgrade).
Today, we had to bring forward
water and sewer rates. The respon-
sible thing to do, in my mind, is to
bring forward rates that reflect
the cost-sharing arrangement and,
thereby, also reflect a measure of
affordability for ratepayers,” said
Gillingham.
City finance officials recently
revealed they were finalizing a deal
that will see the federal, provincial
and municipal governments pay
roughly one-third each of the cost
for Phase 2 of the upgrade as well.
The mayor noted the Manitoba
government’s economic develop-
ment strategy includes a commit-
ment to get the sewage treatment
upgrade built.
In an email, a spokesman for
Municipal Relations Minister Glen
Simard expressed support for the
upgrade, but did not confirm exact
funding.
“We know how important this
project is to the people of Manitoba,
and we are committed to making
sure Phase 3 is completed,” the
statement said.
However, a city councillor fears
the city is basing the proposed
rates on a “guesstimate” of future
funding.
“Of course, it’s going to cost us
less if other levels of government
give us a billion dollars, but there’s
no evidence that’s coming,” said
Coun. Brian Mayes (St. Vital), a for-
mer chairman and current member
of the water and waste committee.
If the funding isn’t provided, sew-
er rates will surge to the amounts
proposed in March, said Lisa
Marquardson, a water and waste
spokeswoman, in an email.
The most recent sewer rate hike
was part of a trio of substantial fee
increases Winnipeggers faced this
year. The city’s annual per-home
garbage fee rose to $254 (prorated
to $190.50) from $93, on April 1.
Property taxes rose 5.95 per cent,
its largest annual increase since the
1990s, which will cost the owners of
a sample single-family home $121
more.
One ratepayer fears many resi-
dents will struggle to pay all of the
costs.
“I’m concerned for those (who)
are on fixed budgets, whether it’s
low-income (people) or seniors…
You may think you’re getting a bet-
ter deal (with reduced sewer rate
hikes), but it’s still an increase,”
said Terry Cooper.
A program that aims to help
low-income residents pay utility
bills is being expanded to help off-
set the financial strain, said Coun.
Ross Eadie, chairman of water and
waste.
The H2O Help to Others Program
previously provided a one-time util-
ity bill credit to low-income people.
If council approves, the program
would allow people to apply for the
credit every two years instead of
just once. It would allow all people
who receive employment and
income assistance to apply for the
credit, not just those who are at risk
of having their water disconnected.
“It’s being enhanced quite a bit,”
said Eadie.
Earlier this year, the city in-
creased the maximum credits
that program provides to $280 per
one-person household, up from
the previous $155, and to $580 per
household of five or more, up from
$400.
The first of the two new sewer
rate hikes would take effect Jan. 1,
2026.
joyanne.pursaga@freepress.mb.ca
X: @joyanne_pursaga
SEWER RATES ● FROM A1
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
Fire and paramedic chief Christian Schmidt (left) chats with provincial Justice Minister Matt
Wiebe and federal Justice Minister Sean Fraser.
;