Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - November 5, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
WINNIPEG’S LARGEST
CASH & CARRY DEALER!
LOWEST
PRICE
IN TOWN!
702 Broadway and Sherbrook (204) 783-5742
NO ORDERING REQUIRED!
ATTENTION CONTRACTORS & HOME BUILDERS
S P E C I A L P A L L E T P R I C I N G !
TIDAL CLICK
12 MIL
LVP WITH
PAD
Featuring Canadian Products
Beaulieu Canada
Mon, Tues & Fri 8 – 5 Wed & Thurs 8 – 6 Saturday 10 – 2
AERIAL LVP FLOORING
12 MIL
GLUEDOWN
WATERPROOF
$
1
49
sq.ft.
CORETEC PRO PLUS
CORK LVP
20 MIL CLICK
WEAR LAYER
$
3
49
sq.ft.
$
1
99
sq.ft.
SHAW ANVIL PLUS
20 MIL
CLICK W/PAD
WATERPROOF
LVP
$
2
99
sq.ft.
SERVING MANITOBA SINCE 1872 PROUDLY CANADIAN
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 5, 2025
WEATHER
SUNNY. HIGH 5 — LOW -1
CITY
BUSINESS ARSONS TIED TO MOB-LIKE PROTECTION RACKET / B1
JUSTIN TANG / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Prime Minister Mark Carney and Finance Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne present the budget Tuesday, but opposition parties say Liberals are in for a rough ride.
‘Bold,’ ‘swift’ and in peril
O
TTAWA — Prime Minister
Mark Carney’s first federal
budget takes a big swing at
making Canada’s economy a more
attractive place to invest with billions
of dollars for infrastructure and new
tax opportunities for business.
Finance Minister François-
Philippe Champagne tabled the
long-anticipated budget in the House
of Commons on Tuesday afternoon.
He said it’s time for “bold and swift
action” to build Canada’s economy for
an uncertain future.
“There is no place for withdrawal,
ambiguity or even standing still,”
Champagne said in French in his
budget speech.
Opposition parties largely panned
the federal budget in early reactions
Tuesday, creating a political chal-
lenge for Carney’s minority Liberals.
The political calculus to pass the
budget shifted late Tuesday, when
Nova Scotia MP Chris d’Entremont
resigned from the Conservative
caucus, after telling Politico he was
considering joining the Liberals.
Carney needs just a handful of
extra votes, or abstentions, to get the
budget through a confidence vote.
The 406-page budget — its title
repurposes Carney’s election slogan
“Canada Strong” — includes almost
$90 billion in net new spending items
over five years. Most of the spending
is aimed at bolstering Canada’s econ-
omy and securing its sovereignty in
response to U.S. President Donald
Trump’s protectionist policies.
TD Bank senior economist Francis
Fong said Budget 2025 marks a de-
parture from Liberal spending plans
of the past, which typically would
offer an array of smaller spending
measures spread across various
industries and demographics.
“It should be very clear to Cana-
dians that Prime Minister Carney is
really just focusing on competitive-
ness and trade. And I think that’s a
very positive thing,” Fong said.
The new spending is aimed
squarely at boosting productivity and
funding cross-country infrastructure
projects that would help businesses
reach new markets and reduce their
reliance on the United States.
That includes $5 billion over seven
years for a national trade diversifica-
tion corridor and $1 billion over four
years for Arctic infrastructure.
Budget 2025 also adopts a measure
not yet in legislation from the Liber-
als’ fall economic statement last year
— to allow businesses to write off the
full tax costs of some machinery and
technology upfront, freeing up cash
flow.
That measure — one of a series of
moves designed to attract business
investment to Canada — pushes back
against Trump’s One Big Beautiful
Bill Act, a landmark piece of U.S.
legislation attempting to lure more
businesses to relocate south of the
border.
Champagne told reporters at a
news conference before the public
release of the budget Tuesday that
Canada is the “most competitive ju-
risdiction” in the G7 for investment,
based on the country’s low marginal
effective tax rate — how much tax
is applied per dollar of business
investment.
Budget keys on sovereignty, investments,
but opposition parties signal no confidence
CRAIG LORD
Trusted man with son,
then learned the truth
Mother
horrified as
changed
name hides
sex crimes
DEAN PRITCHARD
LISA is the first to admit she’s “a
pretty protective” parent, a byproduct
of decades working in social services
with vulnerable, at-risk youth.
She vets her children’s friends’
parents, doesn’t allow her kids to go on
sleepovers and closely monitors their
electronic devices.
But now she’s living every parent’s
worst nightmare: a man she came to
trust and allowed to spend time with
her pre-teen son is a convicted child
sex offender — a fact hidden from her
because he had changed his name.
“I’ve done so much training to identi-
fy grooming behaviour and predatory
behaviour and the signs of abuse in
children and vulnerable people, and I
had more access and tools than most
to do searches on people — I feel like
a complete failure,” said Lisa, not her
real name, her voice catching as she
tried to hold back tears.
She said the man and her son con-
nected through a local sports commu-
nity about five years ago when the boy
was 12. The man frequently helped
Lisa with home repairs, becoming so
trusted she provided him a key to her
house.
That man Lisa knew as Ryan Knight
was arrested in July and charged with
one count each of making and possess-
ing child pornography, sexual inter-
ference and aggravated sexual assault
for offences alleged to have occurred
between Aug. 1, 2024, and March 1,
2025.
Knight, 44, was born Ryan Gabourie
and under that name was sentenced to
seven years in prison in 2005 for sexu-
ally molesting five young boys after he
entered their homes through unlocked
windows and doors.
Gabourie served his entire sentence
in custody and another three years af-
ter he repeatedly breached conditions
of his release, including contacting a
known sex offender.
A probation officer’s report prepared
in January 2014 quoted Gabourie as
saying: “The only friends I have are
sex offenders.”
A review of the January 2024 edition
of the Manitoba Gazette, the prov-
ince’s official vehicle for publishing
name changes and other public notices,
confirms Gabourie changed his name
to Ryan James Knight in 2021.
News of Knight’s arrest comes more
than a year after Bill 23, the province’s
Change of Name Amendment Act (2)
received royal assent. The amendment,
which would prevent convicted sex
offenders from changing their names,
has yet to go into effect.
“Our department is working hard
to develop the regulations required
to proclaim the amendments passed
through Bill 23 … and put the changes
into effect,” Public Service Deliver-
ies Minister Mintu Sandhu said in an
email Tuesday. “Once consultations
are complete, we intend to have a
spring 2026 proclamation.”
● CONTINUED ON A5
● BUDGET, CONTINUED ON A2
City, province hungry for
slice of $51-B investment pie
AS Prime Minister Mark Carney’s
Liberal government puts its dollars
behind infrastructure spending in
its first budget, Manitoba’s elected
officials are eyeing the pie.
Premier Wab Kinew said he’s
seeking details on the promised
$51 billion, particularly for agricul-
ture-sector investments.
“It’s been a tough time with the
canola tariffs, the pork tariffs and
all the uncertainty with the Trump
administration,” Kinew said Tuesday
after Finance Minister François-
Philippe Champagne tabled the
long-anticipated budget in the House
of Commons.
Kinew pointed to the Prairie In-
novation Centre for Sustainable Ag-
riculture in Brandon and the Global
Agriculture Technology Exchange in
downtown Winnipeg as “shovel-ready
projects.”
The Port of Churchill was men-
tioned often in the 2025 budget,
Kinew noted. It’s “another sign of
momentum that we’re going to build
this big nation-building project.”
“To put a finer point on it, there’s
an icebreaker on the cover of their
budget documents,” Kinew said.
“Come on — send one of those over
here to Manitoba.”
Mayor Scott Gillingham said some
of the infrastructure funds would be
welcome to cover the ballooning cost
of upgrades at the North End sewage
treatment plant, now estimated to be
about $3 billion.
“This is an opportunity to get the
federal funding for the third phase,
which would be really critical to
keeping water and sewer rates af-
fordable for Winnipeggers,” Gilling-
ham said. “That’s vital.”
Gillingham said he met with
Federal Housing Minister Gregor
Robertson two weeks ago, asking for
treatment-plant funding, and money
to expand Route 90 and the Chief
Peguis Trail.
Funnelling some of the $51 billion
to water treatment projects in other
Manitoba communities — such as
Portage la Prairie — would help
enable home building, said Lanny
McInnes, president of the Manitoba
Home Builders’ Association.
Ottawa touts the new Build Canada
Homes agency in its budget, saying
it will help double the pace of home
building over the next decade.
However, much of the work will
likely focus on rental units, McInnes
said.
GABRIELLE PICHÉ
AND NICOLE BUFFIE
● REACTION, CONTINUED ON A2
MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS FILES
Premier Wab Kinew: momentum for Port
of Churchill nation-building project
;