Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - November 5, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 5, 2025 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
SECTION B
CONNECT WITH WINNIPEG’S NO. 1 NEWS SOURCE
▼
CITY
●
BUSINESS
‘I am scared for my life’
A
CORE-AREA business owner,
who requested anonymity and
declined to share details about
his company out of fear for his life,
says he and others feel they have no
choice but to comply with extortion
demands.
“We don’t have any other option,”
the man said Tuesday. “I have to
work. I have to keep going for my
family. I have to work for my family. I
am scared for my life.”
He said he continues to hand over
money in exchange for promised pro-
tection — but the demands never stop.
“They keep coming, and they keep
asking for more money,” he said, de-
clining to say when he was last ap-
proached.
“We feel helpless. Nobody will pro-
tect us.”
Another business owner in the same
area said it’s become like the “Wild
West.”
“I’ve been here for 35 years,” the
man said. “There’s no solution. Even
the cops can’t solve it. I’ve felt help-
less for a long time.
“But we have no other options. I
have a family I have to support. The
good thing is (my children) are almost
finished with university now. So I’m
happy.”
Both men said they had seen a video
circulating on social media of the
latest arson targeting a convenience
store on Logan Avenue last week. Nei-
ther seemed surprised.
The charred remains of Logan
Convenience at 1521 Logan Ave.,
which was set ablaze early on Oct. 28,
were visible to passersby Tuesday as
contractors removed plywood from
the doors and began working on the
store’s gutted interior.
Police confirmed the fire is being
investigated as arson, though they
have not said whether it is connected
to a string of extortion-related attacks
on local businesses.
Surveillance footage of the inci-
dent, which later circulated on social
media, shows two people entering the
store shortly after 1 a.m. One suspect
appears to point a gun at the clerk
while the other pours liquid from a
gas can across the floor.
Moments later, the armed suspect
leads the clerk outside as flames en-
gulf the 1½-storey building — con-
structed in 1906 and once home to a
CIBC branch.
The attack is the latest in a growing
series of violent incidents targeting
businesses, many in the city’s North
End, where owners say they’re being
forced to pay for protection from an
organized extortion racket, or face
having their livelihoods go up in
flames.
“We are begging for help. It’s affect-
ing all types of businesses,” Ahmed
Muhammad, owner of the Quickie
Mart on Selkirk Avenue, said in July
after several businesses were hit.
“People are going to get hurt. People
are going to die. People have been in-
side when they’ve firebombed these
places.”
Business owners at the time alleged
four men had been demanding large
sums of money to allow them to con-
tinue operating. Businesses are set on
fire when the owners refuse to com-
ply. The owners started a group chat
to detail their experiences and share
information. The men, they said, also
visited Ur’s Convenience Store on Sel-
kirk and Magnus Foods Grocery and
Convenience Store on Main Street.
They said the same people threat-
ened an automotive business on Sel-
kirk and a beauty salon in the area.
“The asks have ranged from any-
where between $1,000 and $3,000
monthly or, ‘We will burn you down,’”
Muhammad said, adding he received
a text from one of the men demanding
$500,000.
Recent arson at gunpoint amplifies extortion threats for core-area businesses
SCOTT BILLECK
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
Firefighters clean up after the early-morning blaze. A clerk had a gun pointed at him, while another person poured an accelerant believed to be gasoline across the floor, video shows.
INSTAGRAM
Security video of a fire at Logan Convenience on Oct. 28. Police have not confirmed
whether the fire is connected to a series of extortion-related attacks on local businesses.
Former homeless man urges managed encampment
CLAUDEMIER Bighetty lived in home-
less encampments on and off for more
than 10 years.
“During that time, I was gang-in-
volved, sold (and) used drugs. I did
what I thought I had to do to survive. I
know how vulnerable people are forced
to make choices to stay alive on the
streets,” Bighetty told members of city
council’s community services commit-
tee on Tuesday.
After getting sober, finding a home,
securing a job and getting married
within the past two years, he came to
city hall to share his thoughts on how
the city can best help people in encamp-
ments.
Bighetty supports the city’s new
policy to ban encampments in many
public spaces, including around schools
and daycares. However, he said his sup-
port hinges on the addition of a “man-
aged encampment to housing” site.
“I have seen how the lack of safe sup-
port spaces drives cycles of violence,
theft and instability. Simply displacing
people does not fix these problems.
Managed encampment sites where
people can access continuous (sup-
ports)… provides a path out of survival
mode and into recovery, stability,” said
Bighetty.
Such a site would offer safety and
fire prevention service, portable toi-
lets, a water supply, tents and heaters.
People who stay in the spaces would be
required to work on a housing plan.
Bighetty, who is now a homeless out-
reach worker for St. Boniface Street
Links, said he once broke into a busi-
ness, then waited for police to arrive
and arrest him, all in the hope of find-
ing addictions treatment.
He said he would have explored the
managed encampment option, if it had
been available.
In September, city council approved
a policy to prohibit camps from play-
grounds, pools, spray pads, recreation
facilities, schools, daycares, adult care
facilities, medians, traffic islands, tran-
sit shelters, bridges, docks, piers, rail
lines and rail crossings. They are also
prohibited when a “life-safety issue
exists” and wherever they could pose a
hazard or obstruction to vehicle or ped-
estrian traffic.
On Tuesday, Bighetty was one of sev-
eral members of St. Boniface Street
Links who urged councillors to pair
that policy with a managed encamp-
ment-to-housing project.
“I think that we need to think about
a way forward that does… protect the
public while at the same time protects
interests of those living unsheltered,”
Marion Willis, executive director of
Street Links, told the committee.
JOYANNE PURSAGA
● RACKETS, CONTINUED ON B2
● ENCAMPMENT, CONTINUED ON B2
Drug rehab
staffer injured
in attack by
armed resident
A STAFF member at a Winnipeg drug
rehab centre, frequently used as an
inpatient facility for people involved
in the criminal justice system, was at-
tacked and seriously injured by a resi-
dent armed with a weapon.
City police responded to reports of an
assault at the Behavioural Health Foun-
dation at 35 Avenue de la Digue short-
ly after 9 p.m. on Oct. 24. The victim,
a person in their 20s, was transported
to hospital in unstable condition, and
later upgraded to stable condition, Win-
nipeg Police Service spokesman Const.
Claude Chancy said.
Officers arrested a 29-year-old
woman and charged her with assault
with a weapon and breaching a release
order. Police withheld further details
about the victim.
The Free Press has confirmed the ac-
cused involved in the attack is Jennifer
Marie Pollard, who was being treated
at the foundation’s inpatient facility in
St. Norbert.
A judge in Manitoba’s mental health
court had ordered her to complete ad-
dictions programming during a hear-
ing on Aug. 14, after she pleaded guilty
to a pair of robberies at Winnipeg gro-
cery stores.
In one case, she stole about $55 worth
of batteries and hygiene products, and
then tried to punch a loss prevention
officer. In another case, she threatened
an employee at a different grocery
store with a knife while attempting to
steal a donation box containing about
$20, court heard.
A review of court records shows Pol-
lard has had a handful of other convic-
tions in recent years.
Crown prosecutor Eric Hachinski
once told court she suffered from an
“exceptionally traumatic past.”
“From the Crown’s perspective, cer-
tainly, our primary concern is that she
gets help, I think both for the sake of
the public, in terms of what’s being go-
ing on, and for her, as well,” Hachinski
said to Judge Sidney Lerner during a
sentencing hearing in August 2023.
At the time, Pollard was appearing
before the court on charges of breaking
and entering, and mischief.
Defence lawyer Amado Claros said
Pollard was born in B.C. and spent time
in Chilliwack in the early years of her
life. Her father killed her mother when
she was a child, at which point her
grandparents brought her to Winnipeg
to live with them.
He said Pollard turned to the “heavy
consumption” of marijuana as a coping
mechanism.
“That, unfortunately, was worsened
by her hanging around with the wrong
crowd, where she started experi-
menting with meth,” Claros said.
Lerner urged Pollard to stay off
drugs, warning her, “Meth is going to
turn you into a regular customer at the
Winnipeg Remand Centre.”
During the hearing in August, Judge
Kael McKenzie granted Pollard release
into the drug treatment program. She
was ordered to appear weekly in men-
tal health court; records show she had
been complying with that requirement.
TYLER SEARLE
● ATTACK, CONTINUED ON B2
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
Street Links outreach worker Claudemier Bighetty has first-hand experience with
homelessness, which he uses to inform his approach.
;