Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - November 6, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
OTTAWA — The federal budget
is a “bold response” to a global
moment of economic disruption,
Prime Minister Mark Carney argued
Wednesday, replying to critics who
question the ambition of Ottawa’s plans.
“These profound changes require a
bold response, and that’s what we got
yesterday,” Carney told a news confer-
ence in a public transit yard in Ottawa.
The budget predicts that, in terms
of real GDP, Canada’s economy will be
1.8 per cent smaller by the end of 2027
than forecasts suggested late last year
— before U.S. President Donald Trump
launched his global tariff campaign.
Carney claimed measures in the
budget will help Canada meet a lofty
goal of attracting $1 trillion in invest-
ment over the next five years. That
level of investment, if it comes to pass,
would more than offset the disruption
caused by U.S. tariffs.
“Now is not the time to be cautious,
because fortune favours the bold. It is
a time to get big things done for Can-
adians, and get them done fast,” he said.
Wednesday marked the start of Car-
ney’s campaign to sell Canadians on
the first government budget released
under his watch.
He was joined at the event by Nova
Scotia MP Chris d’Entremont, who left
the Conservative caucus to join the Lib-
erals on Tuesday, moving them within
two votes of a majority.
They’ll need to find those votes —
or abstentions — if they are to get the
budget passed and survive a confidence
vote which could trigger a federal elec-
tion.
The budget includes nearly $90 bil-
lion in net new spending over five
years, after government cost-savings
goals are taken into account.
The plan has received a lukewarm re-
ception from opposition leaders.
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre
lambasted the Liberals in question
period Wednesday over high levels of
spending and maintaining the indus-
trial carbon price, which he argues
places undue burden on manufacturers
and raises costs for Canadians.
Poilievre said that the $78.3 billion
deficit in the budget is the largest in
Canadian history outside the pandemic.
Longtime Liberal adviser Tyler
Meredith pointed out on social media
that, according to the Bank of Canada’s
inflation calculator, then-prime minis-
ter Stephen Harper’s 2009-10 budget-
ary deficit of $55.6 billion is larger than
the 2025-26 deficit, in today’s dollars.
Poilievre signalled Tuesday that
the Conservatives would introduce a
budget amendment to cut bureaucracy
and kill the industrial carbon price.
Typically the Official Opposition
introduces the main amendment to a
budget and the third party in the House
of Commons introduces a subamend-
ment.
But in the midst of debate over the
budget in the House of Commons Wed-
nesday Poilievre failed to table his
amendment, opening the door for the
Bloc Québécois to do so instead.
Its amendment calls on parliamen-
tarians to reject the budget in its en-
tirety, primarily for a lack of measures
targeting Quebec.
The Conservative party confirmed
to The Canadian Press it would table
a subamendment to the Bloc’s amend-
ment this morning.
The first budget vote will take place
tonight, on the Conservative subamend-
ment, and the second vote will be on the
Bloc amendment on Friday.
It’s not clear at this point if the gov-
ernment will deem the amendment
votes to be confidence matters, but the
main vote on the budget will be. It won’t
take place until the week of Nov. 17, as
the House is on a break for Remem-
brance Day next week.
Carney said there’s “a lot in this
budget” that reflects input from other
parties. He said there’s alignment
across the government and opposition
parties on aspects of the budget.
Peter Bethlenfalvy, Ontario’s finance
minister, said Wednesday he spoke to
his federal counterpart after the budget
was released and described the spend-
ing plan as lacking “some ambition.”
“It’s less transformational. It’s more
tinkering,” he told reporters at Queen’s
Park.
Bethlenfalvy said the budget falls
short on infrastructure support for the
provinces and further tariff relief for
the auto sector that supports the econ-
omies of many southwestern Ontario
cities.
Carney was touting a 10-year, $51
billion fund for local infrastructure —
bridges, roads, hospitals and transit
systems — in Ottawa on Wednesday
morning.
TD Economics said in a report that
much of the budget’s new investments,
such as the local infrastructure fund,
are the result of reallocation from
other pools of funding rather than net
new money.
TD Bank economists said $9 billion
of the funding for local infrastructure
over five years in Budget 2025 was new
money.
The federal government is pitching
an increase in capital funding from
$32.2 billion this year to $59.6 billion by
2029.
In commentary published online in
The Hub, University of Calgary econo-
mist Trevor Tombe pointed out that
$8.3 billion of that increase is actually
new and much of it is spent on transfers
to provinces.
“That’s roughly 0.2 per cent of GDP
and in line with commitments seen in
many previous budgets. So, for all the
hype, this budget does little that’s ‘gen-
erational,’” Tombe wrote.
Carney pushed back Wednesday
against critics and analysts who said
the budget does not do enough to en-
courage investment.
He argued the budget offers a “sea
change” by reducing operational
spending growth from eight per cent
annually to less than one per cent while
ramping up government capital invest-
ment.
Adjustments to the tax code allowing
businesses to write off their own cap-
ital spending in the first year also make
the country a more attractive place to
invest in the face of protectionist U.S.
policies, Carney said.
“Look, I’ve been around a lot of
budgets,” he said. “This is a very differ-
ent budget.”
The TD Economics report said the
accelerated capital spending expens-
ing measure and enhancements to the
existing scientific research and experi-
mental development tax credit “do put
Canada on somewhat more even foot-
ing” with the United States.
U.S. President Donald Trump’s One
Big Beautiful Bill Act also included im-
mediate expensing for businesses.
Tombe called that measure — dubbed
the “productivity super-deduction” in
the budget — a “bright spot” that could
help spur manufacturing investment in
Canada.
“Unfortunately, while a real step to
encourage private investment, poten-
tially boosting GDP by 0.2 per cent (the
government reckons), it’s a temporary
measure, so its long-term impact is
muted,” he wrote.
Bank of Canada governor Tiff
Macklem said he would not comment
directly on measures in the federal
budget during a scheduled appearance
before the House of Commons finance
committee on Wednesday.
But he told members of Parliament
he believes the budget got the diagnosis
right on what ails the Canadian econ-
omy: flagging productivity and low in-
vestment levels.
Macklem said that to boost growth
and make up for the hit from U.S. tar-
iffs, Canada needs to create conditions
that encourage private investment.
That’s a job best suited to targeted
fiscal policy, he said, rather than the
sweeping effects of monetary policy
and changes in the Bank of Canada’s
benchmark interest rate.
“I think what’s going to be import-
ant in moving forward is the quality of
those investments, the quality of that
spending and the execution,” Macklem
said.
“That’s not the responsibility of the
Bank of Canada, but it is the responsib-
ility of parliamentarians.”
— The Canadian Press
OTTAWA — Prime Minister Mark Car-
ney and his fellow Liberal MPs said
Wednesday the party is open to talk-
ing to any opposition MPs interested in
joining their team — a day after Nova
Scotia MP Chris d’Entremont quit the
Conservatives to join the government
caucus.
Carney and d’Entremont were met
with thunderous applause and cheers
as they walked into Wednesday’s Liber-
al caucus meeting on Parliament Hill.
Some Liberal MPs began chanting the
former Conservative’s name.
Industry Minister Mélanie Joly said
the Liberals had been courting d’Entre-
mont behind the scenes for five years.
“We’ve been trying to recruit him
for a long time,” Joly said in French.
“Finally, he saw the light.”
D’Entremont, who has been an MP
for six years, was first elected in 2019.
Ahead of Wednesday’s caucus meet-
ing, D’Entremont joined Carney at a
post-budget media conference in Ot-
tawa’s south end. He told reporters he
didn’t believe his values as a “red Tory”
were being “represented” in the cur-
rent Conservative caucus.
“I didn’t find I was represented there
… my ideals of an easterner, of a red
Tory and quite honestly of trying to find
ways to find solutions and help the com-
munity rather than trying to oppose
everything that’s happening,” he said.
D’Entremont said there are probably
other Conservative MPs “in the same
boat,” but he would let them share their
stories “if the time comes.”
Carney would not bite when asked
whether he is approaching other oppos-
ition MPs in an attempt to overcome the
two-seat margin keeping his govern-
ment in minority status.
He thanked d’Entremont for joining
the Liberals after the budget’s release
on Tuesday and told reporters it was
“an honour” to welcome him to his cau-
cus. He said global economic uncer-
tainty calls for a unified approach to
strengthening Canada’s economy.
“We’ll speak to anyone publicly or
otherwise that can support us,” he said.
A senior Liberal government source,
speaking on background because they
were not authorized to speak publicly
about the matter, confirmed there have
been discussions with additional MPs,
though they would not say who.
Publicly, Liberals were tight-lipped
Wednesday about whether they have
been actively trying to poach from the
opposition benches — or if more could
follow d’Entremont.
Liberal MP Kody Blois — who, like
d’Entremont, represents a riding in
Nova Scotia — said that the two have
spoken “for a long time about the ways
in which we can collaborate.”
Blois did not explicitly say he was
part of an effort to enlist d’Entremont,
adding that if the government was try-
ing to recruit more MPs that “wouldn’t
be a conversation I’m going to have
right here in front of the media.” He
said the Liberals are offering a big tent
and there’s room for more “moderate”
conservatives.
“It’s great to see Mr. d’Entremont
join. If there’s other members of Par-
liament feeling the same way, again,
I think we’re always welcome to those
conversations,” Blois told reporters.
Some Liberal MPs still voiced lin-
gering concerns about whether the min-
ority government can get the two votes
its needs to pass the budget and avoid a
winter election. It could also pass it if
enough opposition MPs don’t vote.
Interim NDP leader Don Davies said
Wednesday his party is going to take
time before the first budget vote to con-
sult with stakeholders about what to do.
“Caucus members have very serious
concerns about this budget. There’s a
lot of questions that have been raised
about it that we’re going to be consult-
ing with people about and seeking an-
swers,” Davies said.
Quebec NDP MP Alexandre Bouler-
ice said these talks will involve meet-
ings with constituents and unions. The
House of Commons takes a one-week
break next week.
B.C. NDP MP Gord Johns said he was
glad about $258 million set aside in the
budget for a federal aerial firefighting
fleet, but also referred to the Liberals
as “progressive conservatives.”
Conservative MPs have been lash-
ing out at d’Entremont for crossing the
aisle.
MP Jamil Jivani called d’Entremont
“an idiot” on Wednesday. On Tuesday,
Conservative MP Aaron Gunn called
his former caucus colleague a “coward.”
Ontario Conservative MP Michael
Barrett quoted d’Entremont’s past
criticisms of the Liberal government
and said the newest Liberal MP had de-
scribed the anticipated federal deficit
as “monstrous.”
“Mr. d’Entremont is a man, if he
plans to vote for this budget, that can’t
be taken at his word. And that should be
incredibly disappointing, and I’m sure
it is for his constituents,” Barrett said.
Conservative Whip Chris Warken-
tin said in a statement Wednesday the
party caucus is “disappointed” d’Entre-
mont “let his own personal grievances
of not getting elected deputy Speaker
get in the way of his promises, and that
he agrees with Liberals that Canadians
will have to sacrifice more for their
failures.”
Several Tory MPs also made a point
of stating that they remain steadfastly
behind the party’s current leader,
Pierre Poilievre.
Liberal MP Marc Miller said he
does not know what motivated the
floor-crossing but d’Entremont has al-
ways been seen as a moderate in the
House and is well-liked across party
lines.
“It’s a testament to how miserable the
attitude is in the Conservative party
currently, particularly with a miserable
leader like Pierre Poilievre, to attack
Chris,” Miller said. “He’s universally
liked and appreciated, and he’s seen as
a good guy.”
When d’Entremont was asked about
the criticisms coming from his for-
mer caucus colleagues, he said they
should try to build something instead of
“knocking people down.”
“I think they should look at them-
selves and see if they’re offering the
right thing to Canadians, of trying to
build for the world. We have a great
opportunity here in Canada and rather
than knocking people down, we should
try to find ways to work together, and
that’s what I’ve always tried to do in my
career,” he said.
— The Canadian Press
FEDERAL BUDGET
A3 THURSDAY NOVEMBER 6, 2025 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
“While the budget frames this
as a government-wide savings ef-
fort, there are no explicit protec-
tions for science positions. This
raises serious risks of science
staffing cuts and departmental
budget reallocations away from
core research functions,” O’Reil-
ly said.
Manitoba Environment Min-
ister Mike Moyes said he’s been
in talks with his federal counter-
part about the budget and will
have further discussions about
the implications for Manitobans.
In 2023, the federal govern-
ment announced its intention to
fund the water agency to the tune
of $85.1-million over five years.
The agency guides water policy
and administers funding to pro-
grams that protect, rehabilitate
and respond to emerging issues
in eight major watersheds: Lake
Winnipeg, Lake of the Woods,
the Great Lakes, Lake Simcoe,
and the Mackenzie, Fraser, Saint
John and St. Lawrence rivers.
The agency headquarters is lo-
cated in downtown Winnipeg and,
at the time of its announcement,
was due to open regional offices
in Quebec, Ontario and British
Columbia. The department em-
ploys more than 200 staff, about
half of whom are in Winnipeg.
In 2024, the federal govern-
ment said the agency would
distribute $64.5 million over 10
years to protect Lake Winnipeg
and its watershed.
nicole.buffie@freepress.mb.ca
JUSTIN TANG / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Prime Minister Mark Carney (left) walks with
MP Chris d’Entremont on Wednesday.
PHOTOS BY ADRIAN WYLD / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Prime Minister Mark Carney began the Liberal campaign to sell the budget to Canadians, and ward off a possible election if it is defeated.
Liberals courted MP for years before he quit Conservatives
DAVID BAXTER
Carney defends ‘bold response’
CRAIG LORD
Critics question scale of investment as sales campaign begins; first budget vote tonight
WATER ● FROM A1
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre delivers
his response to the budget Wednesday.
;