Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - November 13, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
SA
V
O
U
R
M
A
N
I
T
O
B
A
M
A
N
I
T
O
B
A
’
S
P
R
E
M
I
E
R
F
O
O
D
,
D
R
I
N
K
A
N
D
L
I
F
E
S
T
Y
L
E
M
A
G
A
Z
I
N
E
W
I
N
T
E
R
2
0
2
5
H
e
a
r
t
h
,
H
o
m
e
&
H
o
l
i
d
a
y
Warm up
to the season
C
o
m
i
n
g
s
o
o
n
!
Read the Fall 2025 issue at:
winnipegfreepress.com/fp-features
with flavours that
feel like home
Watch for it in your Free Press
and at Manitoba Liquor Marts!
S
MALL city-owned lots will be tar-
geted in a new strategy to create
affordable homes, while the city
could also soon devote millions of dol-
lars to infrastructure that supports new
housing units.
A “small lot strategy” will seek inter-
est to create projects with one to four
housing units on vacant properties,
says a new report on initiatives linked
to Winnipeg’s share of the federal
Housing Accelerator Fund.
“This will help to rehabilitate vacant
lots and improve health, safety, and
neighbourhood revitalization,” writes
Lissie Rappaport, manager of the city’s
Housing Accelerator Fund office.
The city plans to release an expression
of interest to sell 10 to 20 smaller prop-
erties for $1 each, primarily to non-prof-
it and/or Indigenous developers.
In an interview, Rappaport said that
could produce less traditional housing,
including some homes that are at least
partly pre-fabricated.
“When we put out the expression of
interest, we do want to see some innov-
ation,” she said.
The number of units allowed per lot
will be based on city zoning rules, with
a goal to create “ground-oriented hous-
ing” such as garden suites, secondary
suites, duplexes, triplexes, fourplexes,
row houses, courtyard housing and low-
rise apartments (with four storeys or
less).
For small lots that are difficult to de-
velop, such as those that require demo-
lition, the city may offer financial as-
sistance.
City council would need to approve
a bylaw change to spend accelerator
fund dollars on the new strategy, since
its current bylaw requires projects
to include a minimum of five housing
units.
While the city hopes to secure finan-
cial support from HAF, the Winnipeg
Foundation and the Manitoba gov-
ernment, municipal housing officials
already have the power to start the
small lot strategy itself, said Rappa-
port.
“Additional incentives are needed to
really get the housing off the ground…
We certainly have a number of small-
er lots the city has owned for some
time,” she said.
City housing staff have proposed
changes on how Winnipeg spends its
share of the federal accelerator fund.
If city council approves, the new plan
would devote up to $20 million over the
next two years to future and existing
housing projects approved by the city’s
land enhancement office. That funding
would aim to ensure construction can
start on the projects before the end of
next year.
THURSDAY NOVEMBER 13, 2025 ● ASSOCIATE EDITOR, NEWS: STACEY THIDRICKSON 204-697-7292 ● CITY.DESK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA ● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
SECTION B
CONNECT WITH WINNIPEG’S NO. 1 NEWS SOURCE
▼
CITY
●
BUSINESS
● HOUSING, CONTINUED ON B2
JOYANNE PURSAGA
City looks at turning small lots into affordable housing
Garden suites, duplexes, row houses considered options
THOUSANDS of would-be bus passengers
have been turned away since September,
when the city started cracking down on
people who don’t pay.
Since then, 7,614 people were either de-
nied rides (4,944) or they walked away be-
fore being prompted to pay, the city said
Wednesday.
The city said 931 warnings have been
issued and that 359 riders paid after being
asked. The warnings were issued by tran-
sit safety officers for fare-related issues.
Winnipeg Transit inspectors have made
more than 6,800 fare checks since Septem-
ber, and safety officers have spent more
than 1,400 hours enforcing issues.
The Winnipeg Police Service said on
Nov. 6 that its officers have made nine ar-
rests under the Criminal Code and inter-
vened in 41 fare-evasion incidents since it
began placing more of its officers on and
around buses in September.
“These numbers, after just two months,
show that this community safety officer
team is needed. They’re doing good work,”
Mayor Scott Gillingham said.
“And the goal, ultimately, of the fare
enforcement is twofold. One, to make the
buses safer for riders and drivers, and,
two, to recoup some of the fare that hasn’t
been paid in previous years.”
Gillingham pointed out that the transit
union has said 90 per cent of the assaults
that happen to bus drivers and passengers
are committed by people who do not pay.
“I believe this is making our buses safer.
The fare enforcement is making our buses
safer,” the mayor said.
Winnipeg Transit is launching a
fare-education campaign in the coming
weeks, and all buses will start playing an
audio message reminding passengers to
have their fare ready before boarding.
“Our community safety officers and
transit inspectors can’t be at every bus
stop, all across the city, at once,” Gilling-
ham said.
The Amalgamated Transit Union Local
1505 said the early results on enforcement
efforts mark an important first step.
“This is something we have been advo-
cating for for a long time,” vice-president
Derek Hanley said.
Hanley said the union has long believed
Winnipeg Transit was losing $6 million to
$10 million to fare evasion annually. En-
forcement will help determine whether
those estimates were accurate.
“The simple fact they did 4,944 denied
rides — it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to
do the math and see that’s a lot of money,”
he said. “It’s about $16,000 in just that
small portion of enforcement. And those
are the people that actually got on buses
where the enforcement was being done.”
Hanley said bus drivers are “cautious-
ly optimistic” that their job will become
safer.
“They know someone is going to have
their back,” he said. “And that makes
them feel pretty good, considering for the
longest time, they’ve kind of, like I’ve said
before, been out there as stagecoach driv-
ers without a six-shooter to be able to help
themselves.”
fpcity@freepress.mb.ca
Thousands of
fare evaders
denied bus rides
since crackdown
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
Parade director Monica Derksen says there is a real sense of family history being built up through a parade that first hit the streets of Winnipeg in 1909.
Merry and bright: more than 40,000 expected
for Santa Claus Parade featuring Grey Cup
LINDA Hamilton often had to tiptoe to catch a
good view of the jolly old elf at Winnipeg’s Santa
Claus Parade, so when she saw volunteers in the
middle of the action, she knew she had to sign up.
“It’s a front row seat to the parade, and you get
to help keep everybody safe… It’s a perk of the
job,” said Hamilton, whose volunteer duties in-
clude keeping the streets clear and safe for floats
and spectators.
“Just being surrounded by kids and kids at
heart — it’s addictive.”
Saturday’s annual Santa Claus Parade is ex-
pected to draw more than 40,000 people down-
town, organizers say. It will feature Santa and
the Grey Cup, which will be contested Sunday
between the Montreal Alouettes and Saskatche-
wan Roughriders.
The Cup will lead the parade and CFL cheer-
leaders, including the Blue Bomber Cheer Team,
will participate.
Monica Derksen, parade director since 2017,
has planned the event all year, co-ordinating with
more than 200 volunteers.
“Many people have long stories from their
grandparents, and their grandparent’s grand-
parents. It’s gone on for so many years that it’s
become a real staple,” she said.
Former department store Eaton’s started the
parade in Winnipeg in 1909.
“Parades are hard to keep going these days.
Sponsorship is harder. Grants are harder,” said
Derksen. “I think it’s really important that it
continues. It brings together people from all
walks of life.”
She said funding is always going down, and
inflation is a reality for most non-profit organiza-
tions, which is why the parade will have its first
50/50 raffle this year.
Hamilton, who has volunteered at the event for
more than six years, remembered her father, who
worked at Eaton’s, taking her as a child. Today,
her twin nieces make the trip from Stonewall
every year.
“When all the lights come on, that’s when we
know the parade is starting. I tell the kids: ‘Watch
for the lights! Watch for the lights!’”
Another longtime volunteer likes to help out
with the magic behind the magic.
“There’s an anticipation and excitement,” said
Marlow Soliven on the moment when the floats
are lining up to march down the street. “That ex-
citement builds. And as it starts, there’s a release
of excitement… every year I always look forward
to that. Nothing else replaces that feeling for this
event.”
With the Grey Cup set for the next day and the
weather expected to co-operate, attendance is
expected to top the usual estimate of 40,000.
The main attraction, Santa’s $100,000 float, has
new lights this year highlighting the big guy and
his reindeer.
The parade will begin at 5 p.m. at Portage
Avenue and Main Street, then head west towards
Memorial Boulevard before ending near St. Mary
Avenue.
Tickets for the 50/50 draw are available until
Nov. 17 at mbhydrosantaparade.com and in-per-
son at the parade.
fpcity@freepress.mb.ca
TONI DE GUZMAN
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
David Walker installs new lights in Santa’s float.
;