Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - November 14, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 14, 2025
A2
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
NEWS
VOL 155 NO 2
Winnipeg Free Press est 1872 / Winnipeg Tribune est 1890
2024 Winnipeg Free Press,
a division of FP Canadian Newspapers Limited Partnership.
Published six days a week in print and always online
at 1355 Mountain Avenue,
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R2X 3B6, PH: 204-697-7000
CEO / MIKE POWER
Editor / PAUL SAMYN
Associate Editor Enterprise / SCOTT GIBBONS
Associate Editor News / STACEY THIDRICKSON
Associate Editor Digital News / WENDY SAWATZKY
Director Photo and Multimedia / MIKE APORIUS
NEWSMEDIA COUNCIL
The Winnipeg Free Press is a member of the National
Newsmedia Council, which is an independent organization
established to determine acceptable journalistic practices and
ethical behaviour. If you have concerns about editorial content,
please send them to:
editorialconcerns@freepress.mb.ca.
If you are not satisfied with the response and wish to file a
formal complaint, visit the website at www.mediacouncil.ca and
fill out the form or call toll-free 1-844-877-1163 for additional
information.
ADVERTISING
Classified (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7100
wfpclass@freepress.mb.ca
Obituaries (Mon-Fri): 204-697-7384
Display Advertising : 204-697-7122
FP.Advertising@freepress.mb.ca
EDITORIAL
Newsroom/tips: 204-697-7292
Fax: 204-697-7412
Photo desk: 204-697-7304
Sports desk: 204-697-7285
Business news: 204-697-7292
Photo REPRINTS:
libraryservices@winnipegfreepress.com
City desk / City.desk@freepress.mb.ca
CANADA POST SALES AGREEMENT NO. 0563595
Recycled newsprint is used in the
production of the newspaper.
PLEASE RECYCLE.
INSIDE
Arts and Life C1
Business B5
Classifieds D8
Comics C5
Diversions C6-7
Horoscope C4
Jumble C6
Miss Lonelyhearts C4
New Music C2
Obituaries D7
Opinion A6-7
Real Estate B8
Sports D1
Television C4
Weather C8
COLUMNISTS:
Tom Brodbeck A4
Allan Levine A7
READER SERVICE ● GENERAL INQUIRIES 204-697-7000
CIRCULATION INQUIRIES
MISSING OR INCOMPLETE PAPER?
Call or email before 10 a.m. weekdays
or 11 a.m. Saturday
City: 204-697-7001
Outside Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900 press 1
6:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday-Friday.;
7 a.m. - noon Saturday; Closed Sunday
TO SUBSCRIBE: 204-697-7001
Out of Winnipeg: 1-800-542-8900
The Free Press receives support from
the Local Journalism Initiative funded
by the Government of Canada
His downfall over the past month
began when other emails showed his
Epstein friendship lasted far longer
than he disclosed. Those revelations
were followed by the publication of Gi-
uffre’s posthumous memoir last month
that detailed the three times she said
they had sex.
The new emails undercut Mount-
batten-Windsor’s claim that a now-in-
famous snapshot of him with his arm
around Giuffre’s partly bare midriff
was doctored because he couldn’t
remember it being taken.
“Yes she was on my plane, and yes
she had her picture taken with Andrew
as many of my employees have,” Ep-
stein wrote in one 2011 email in which
he called Giuffre a liar.
Epstein repeatedly disparaged Giuf-
fre, calling her “nothing more than a
telephone answerer.”
He discussed getting a reporter to
investigate her, suggesting “Bucking-
ham Palace would love it.”
When the Mail on Sunday sought
comment before publishing a story in
March 2011 about Giuffre’s allegations,
Epstein forwarded the email to a con-
tact listed as “The Duke” that is partly
redacted but appears to be Mountbat-
ten-Windsor.
“Please make sure that every state-
ment or legal letter states clearly that I
am NOT involved and that I knew and
know NOTHING about any of these
allegations,” the reply from the email
listed as “The Duke” said.
“I can’t take any more of this (on) my
end.”
When he asked Epstein how he
planned to respond to the tabloid’s
request, Epstein said he wasn’t sure.
“The only person she didn’t have sex
with was Elvis,” he wrote.
— The Associated Press
The families were among more
than 200 people who attended a
rally at Main Street and Broadway to
condemn Lamb’s release and call for
justice reforms.
“We’re not just advocating for
Indigenous women. We’re advocat-
ing for all people of Winnipeg. This
isn’t safe for all people,” said Paige
Paupanakis, Blacksmith’s sister.
“Even with all (of Lamb’s release)
conditions, I think this isn’t accept-
able. He doesn’t deserve to be walk-
ing around.”
Nepinak’s daughter, Jasmine Mann,
said she was angry and scared when
she learned of Lamb’s statutory
release date.
“He’s going to be walking the
streets freely,” she said.
The province is making plans
to search part of the Brady Road
landfill for Nepinak, whose body has
not been found, along with Ashlee
Shingoose, who was a victim of serial
killer Jeremy Skibicki.
Kinew said he has asked staff to
explore what Lamb’s release could
mean for the search for Nepinak,
which is a humanitarian effort and if
it has to be thought about differently.
Nepinak’s aunt, Sue Caribou, said
provincial staff assured her the
search for her niece will go ahead.
“Our justice system needs to
change. When you take a life, you
should do life,” she said.
Lamb, who is from a First Nation
in Ontario, was charged with three
counts of first-degree murder in 2012
in the deaths of Blacksmith, 18, Sin-
clair, who was 25 and pregnant and
31-year-old Nepinak.
“My sister was someone who was
so special, and her life just got taken
away like that,” Paupanakis said.
Lamb pleaded guilty to manslaugh-
ter in Blacksmith and Sinclair’s
deaths, but denied killing Nepinak.
The charge in her death was stayed
due to a lack of evidence.
First Nations leaders in Manitoba
again demanded the National Inquiry
into Missing and Murdered Indige-
nous Women and Girls’ 231 calls for
justice be fully implemented.
Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimak-
anak, which represents northern
First Nations, demanded a review
of statutory release provisions for
violent offenders “to ensure public
safety is prioritized.”
The Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs
called on federal officials to re-exam-
ine the risk assessment and super-
vision conditions applied in Lamb’s
case, and to establish mandatory no-
tification to victims or their families
before a prisoner is released.
Victims or families who want to re-
ceive updates about a federal inmate
are required to register with the Pa-
role Board of Canada or Correctional
Service of Canada. Notifications are
not automatic.
In Lamb’s case, some of the wom-
en’s relatives learned of his impend-
ing release from journalists or social
media posts.
Paupanakis was informed by an
aunt.
“It’s triggering. It just feels like it
happened yesterday,” she said.
Giganawenimaanaanig, Manitoba’s
MMIWG2S+ implementation commit-
tee, called on Ottawa to amend the
Criminal Code to allow for consecu-
tive sentencing in multiple homicides.
Offenders who are serving life or
indeterminate sentences are not eligi-
ble for statutory release. The Correc-
tional Service of Canada may recom-
mend statutory release be denied if it
believes the offender is likely to kill
or seriously harm someone, commit
a sexual offence against a child or
commit a serious drug offence before
their sentence ends.
Frank Cormier, a criminologist
at the University of Manitoba, said
it’s rare for eligible offenders to be
denied statutory release.
“Once you hit that two-thirds, it is
virtually automatic,” he said.
“CSC can refer it to the parole
board if they have some concerns
about the person getting out, so
clearly in this case they did, and
then the parole board’s decision was
that yes, he should still be granted
his statutory release, but with the
condition of the minimum six months
in a supervised facility. That is a little
unusual.”
A federal report with the latest
available data said 2,669 offenders,
including 817 in the Prairie region,
were on statutory release in the 2022-
23 fiscal year amid a steady decline
in the preceding decade.
chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca
EPSTEIN ● FROM A1
KINEW ● FROM A1
Wildfire rescue head one of three commended for bravery, resilience and dedication
Manitoba’s Circle of Honour awards take flight
A
FORMER long-haul trucker
turned military pilot and flight
school commander who ran the
helicopter wildfire rescue in Mathias
Colomb Cree Nation this summer is one
of three inaugural recipients of the Cir-
cle of Honour medallion presented by
Premier Wab Kinew at the Manitoba
legislature Thursday.
The award recognizes Manitobans
whose remarkable bravery, resilience
and dedication embody the spirit of ser-
vice and unity, Kinew said.
Lt.-Col. Kim Wilton led a crew of eight
helicopter pilot-instructors at 3 Can-
adian Forces Flying Training School
in Portage la Prairie to fly 269 north-
ern Manitobans to safety on 24 flights
over four days amid reduced visibility,
shifting winds and walls of smoke from
unpredictable wildfires.
“There was a lot of concern be-
cause the runway wasn’t accessible at
Pukatawagan,” said Wilton, who drove
trucks for Winnipeg-based TransX
before joining the Canadian Armed
Forces in 2001 and earning her wings.
“They were relying strictly on ro-
tary wing assets to get people out of the
community as the fire was moving in.”
The remote, fly-in First Nation, which
is also known as Pukatawagan, is locat-
ed about 800 kilometres northwest of
Winnipeg.
Wilton served two deployments in Af-
ghanistan before returning to Portage
la Prairie to train the next generation of
air force pilots. She has 5,000 hours fly-
ing experience, nearly 2,000 of which
have been spent instructing others. She
was commended at Thursday’s award
for passing on not only her skills, but a
calm and steady mindset.
“As a training establishment we get
our satisfaction from teaching pilots,”
she said. “It’s really an amazing oppor-
tunity to be able to help Manitobans,
fellow Canadians, in a time of need.
“The crews did amazing work be-
cause it was challenging conditions
— incredibly smoky, a lot of air traffic
there, other assets that were in the lo-
cation and obviously a bit of chaos …
when meeting out there and who’s in
charge and figuring out those things.”
Wilton stayed in Southport running
the operation with a liaison officer on
the ground co-ordinating evacuation
efforts with the Canadian Red Cross. It
was also a learning experience for the
Canadian Armed Forces, she said.
“We had a lot of meetings after the
fact to talk about any lessons learned,
what we did well, what we could do bet-
ter if we got called up again next sum-
mer because there’s always that con-
cern of more calls — and what would
set us up for better success in the fu-
ture.”
Wilton accepted the Circle of Honour
award on behalf of her crew, who also
attended the ceremony. The medal was
also presented to 103-year-old Second
World War Gunner Len Van Roon and
to Sailor 1st Class Justin Woodcock,
who now works as a veterans liaison for
the Southern Chiefs Organization.
“I don’t think we can ever do enough
to say thank you,” Kinew said at Thurs-
day’s event, referring to Van Roon.
“Certainly my job wouldn’t exist if
you hadn’t succeeded in Europe some
80 years ago, and our life would be so
much different.”
On June 6, 1944, he landed on Juno
Beach in the first wave of D-Day. He
advanced through France, Belgium,
Holland and into Germany. His cour-
age carried him through battle to the
liberation of the Netherlands — pivot-
al moments “where young Canadians
like him helped bend history toward
freedom,” David Pankratz, Manitoba’s
special envoy for military affairs said
at the ceremony.
Woodcock, who is a member of Opas-
kwayak Cree Nation, grew up moving
across Canada. He and his mother ex-
perienced a period of homelessness
during his childhood, which helped
shape his resilience, Pankratz said.
Woodcock joined the military in 2009
with Lord Strathcona’s Horse as an ar-
moured vehicle turret operator.
He served at home in 2011, when
floods hit Manitoba and in 2012 when
they hit Alberta. He deployed to Reso-
lute Bay to help establish one of Can-
ada’s northernmost outposts, and then
to HMCS Regina as a combat systems
engineer.
Woodcock then began volunteering
at a veterans hospital and saw friends
struggle with post-traumatic stress
disorder. When he left the military, he
earned a social work degree that he
now uses to support fellow veterans
with the SCO.
The premier said he was moved by
the inductees and their stories.
“It was an amazing feeling to be there
with somebody who stormed the beach-
es in Normandy and literally defeated
the Nazis,” said Kinew, who took part
in the 80th anniversary of D-Day cere-
monies in Normandy with Pankratz.
“And then you have the folks who
helped with wildfire evacuations this
summer and somebody who’s given
back to fellow veterans on mental
health.
“It really, I hope, is just a message
to young Manitobans to remember the
importance of military service and the
history that’s formed the world that we
live in today.”
carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca
CAROL SANDERS
RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS
Circle of Honour award recipient Lt. Col. Wilton with a group of fellow aviators that evacuated 269 people to safety on 24 flights during the wildfires in northern Manitoba this summer.
;