Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - November 20, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
WINNIPEG’S LARGEST
CASH & CARRY DEALER!
LOWEST
PRICE
IN TOWN!
702 Broadway and Sherbrook (204) 783-5742
NO ORDERING REQUIRED!
ATTENTION CONTRACTORS & HOME BUILDERS
S P E C I A L P A L L E T P R I C I N G !
SHAW NYLON
CARPET
TILE
4 COLOURS
IN STOCK
Featuring Canadian Products
Beaulieu Canada
Mon, Tues & Fri 8 – 5 Wed & Thurs 8 – 6 Saturday 10 – 2
AERIAL LVP FLOORING
12 MIL(wear layer)
GLUEDOWN
WATERPROOF
$
1
49
sq.ft.
ALL AREA RUGS
NO GST, NO PST
CARPET & VINYL
REMNANTS
NO GST, NO PST
$
2
33
sq.ft.
SHAW ANVIL PLUS
20MIL(wear layer)
CLICK W/PAD
WATERPROOF
LVP
$
2
99
sq.ft.
(less than pallet)
(less than pallet)
ADVANCING HEALTHCARE
Turn Waiting into Healing
Double Your
Impact thanks to:
Donate today at:
TheVicFoundation.ca/Healing
SCAN TO DONATE
SERVING MANITOBA SINCE 1872 PROUDLY CANADIAN
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 20, 2025
WEATHER
MAINLY SUNNY. HIGH 4 — LOW -8
COMMUNITY REVIEW
OPTIMISTS’ XMAS TREE LOT NO MORE
Man charged in arson attacks
A
35-YEAR-OLD Winnipeg man has
been charged in a five-month arson
spree involving the constituency
offices of two NDP government cabinet
ministers, downtown restaurants and
bars and other locations.
Jesse Robert Shawn Wheatland is
accused of 22 arson, break-in and dam-
age-related offences at 11 locations since
June 11, including fires at the offices of
Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine and
Housing, Addictions and Homelessness
Minister Bernadette Smith.
“We believe Wheatland was acting
alone when he attended these locations,
causing damage by breaking windows,
lighting fires and, in some cases, both,”
Winnipeg Police Service Insp. Jennifer
McKinnon said at a news conference.
“We can support it through evidence
that we’ve collected. He’s also been
interviewed by investigators at length.
He’s been co-operating with our investi-
gators.”
She would not comment on motive, but
confirmed the case is not linked to pre-
viously reported and ongoing extortion
investigations that involved fires.
CHRIS KITCHING AND SCOTT BILLECK
Ukrainian sacrifices career to be reunited with family in Winnipeg
From the judge’s chambers to the beer vendor
VIKTOR Bratasyuk was walking the
halls of the U.S. Supreme Court as
part of an international judicial fel-
lowship last fall. Today, the longtime
Ukrainian judge is working part
time at a beer vendor in St. Vital.
While that may be viewed as a
dramatic setback, the 47-year-old
father of two — who became a judge
in 2009 after working as a lawyer,
lecturer and deputy dean of the
faculty of law at Ternopil National
Economics University — sees it
differently.
“I’ve been reunited with my fam-
ily,” he told the Free Press. “I could
be considered a traitor, but there is
peace here. I am happy. I left to be
with my family. I like to be here. I
like to be with my family. It really
hurts me what’s going on in my coun-
try.”
Bratasyuk’s wife and two sons,
now 20 and 18, arrived in Winnipeg
in 2023. He stayed behind, partly
because Ukrainian rules barred him
from leaving except on business, and
partly because he had been assigned
to help defend the northern border of
Ternopil Oblast in western Ukraine,
where his family is from.
“It was very difficult to not even
have the possibility to hug your kids,
hug your wife for years,” he said.
He told about drones striking near
his home and showed pictures of his
office, which had its windows blown
out by a drone strike in July.
Eventually, he reached a breaking
point.
While on a business trip to Poland
in March 2024, he took the opportu-
nity to travel to Canada to visit his
family. When he was selected for the
judicial fellowship program in Wash-
ington, D.C., he stayed in Winnipeg
another week before returning to
Ukraine.
In August, he was reunited with
his family. Retiring from his judge-
ship gave him legal freedom to leave
Ukraine.
SCOTT BILLECK
Dire need
for supervised
consumption
site: Kinew
CAROL SANDERS
PREMIER Wab Kinew defended his
government’s plan to open a super-
vised consumption site in downtown
Winnipeg, saying a public health emer-
gency demands it and doing nothing is
not an option.
“The alternative to a supervised
consumption site is an unsupervised
consumption site on Main Street — in
the bus shelter, in the bathroom at
Tim Hortons,” Kinew said Wednesday,
a day after his government’s throne
speech announced the facility would
open in January.
“I think we all agree we’ve got to do
better than what we’re seeing right
now,” said Kinew, who wouldn’t iden-
tify the site’s exact location, but noted
it is west of Main Street and not near
any schools. In the coming weeks, that
will be spelled out along with plans
for community consultations that are
required as part of the federal applica-
tion process, the premier said.
The province had proposed a super-
vised consumption site at 200 Disraeli
Fwy. It cancelled that plan after some
residents opposed the location, arguing
it was too close to schools and child-
care facilities.
“We’ve been flexible, we’ve been
listening,” Kinew said. “We’ve changed
the location based on community
feedback. I think that’s an act of good
faith.”
Mayor Scott Gillingham said it was
important to hear from community
members. “There’s a process the
province has to follow. I think public
consultation has been shown (to be)
very important in the last attempt that
they made. Public consultation would
be very, very important here… to hear
from residents and business owners
as to their thoughts related to the po-
tential impact on the area around (the
site),” Gillingham said.
Longtime Point Douglas resident
Katherine Bitney fought against the
last proposed site, arguing it was too
close to a school. She is happy to hear
the new space will be farther away, but
said she was not part of any consulta-
tions.
After the recent news that the pre-
viously proposed building on Disraeli
will be used as a 72-hour detention
facility for people experiencing drug
psychosis, she wonders why so many
spaces for people struggling with
addiction are being “plunked in Point
Douglas.”
“We’re beginning to feel like a drug
rehab dumping ground around here,”
she said.
Amy Robinson of the Point Douglas
Residents Committee said the group
was not consulted about the new
location. She said the committee has
requested information from the fed-
eral government on its “urgent public
health need” exemption but has not
received a response.
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
Viktor Bratasyuk and his family have settled into life in Winnipeg after receiving support from local churches. The retired judge says he is not pursuing a legal career in Manitoba.
● SITE, CONTINUED ON A2
● CHARGED, CONTINUED ON A2
● VENDOR, CONTINUED ON A2
Accused of five-month spree against cabinet ministers, restaurants, bars
FACEBOOK
Jesse Robert Shawn Wheatland
;