Winnipeg Free Press (Newspaper) - November 21, 2025, Winnipeg, Manitoba
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2025
B4
● WINNIPEGFREEPRESS.COM
NEWS I WORLD
Freed POW seen in iconic ‘Burst of Joy’ photo with family
IT’S the ultimate homecoming photo
— a smiling family rushing to reunite
with a U.S. Air Force officer in 1973
who spent years as a POW in North
Vietnam, his oldest daughter sprinting
ahead with her arms outstretched, both
feet off the ground.
“Burst of Joy,” the iconic black-and-
white image capturing the Stirm family
at Travis Air Force Base in California,
was published in newspapers through-
out the nation. Taken by Associated
Press photographer Sal Veder, it won
a Pulitzer Prize and has continued to
resonate through the years, a symbol of
the end of U.S. involvement in the Viet-
nam War.
On Veterans Day, retired Col. Rob-
ert Stirm, seen in the photo in uniform
with his back to the camera, died at
an assisted living facility in Fairfield,
California, his daughter, Lorrie Stirm
Kitching, confirmed Thursday. He was
92.
“It’s right in my front foyer,” Kitch-
ing, 68, of Mountain View, said of the
photo. She was 15 when that moment of
her running to hug her father was for-
ever preserved.
“Just the feelings of that and the in-
tensity of the feeling will never leave
me,” Kitching told the AP in an inter-
view. “It is so deep in my heart, and
the joy and the relief that we had our
dad back again. It was just truly a very
moving reunion for our family, and that
feeling has never left me. It’s the same
feeling every time I see that picture.
“And every day, how grateful I am
that my father was one of the lucky
ones and returned home,” she added.
“That was really a gift.”
Stirm, a decorated pilot, was serving
with the 333rd Tactical Fighter Squad-
ron at Takhli Royal Thai Air Force in
Thailand in 1967. During a bombing
mission over North Vietnam that Oct.
27, his F-105 Thunderbird was hit and
he was shot three times while parachut-
ing. He was captured immediately upon
landing.
He was held captive for 1,966 days in
five different POW camps in Hanoi and
North Vietnam, including the notori-
ous “Hanoi Hilton,” known for tortur-
ing and starving its captives, primar-
ily American pilots shot down during
bombing raids. Its most famous prison-
er was the late U.S. Sen. John McCain,
who also was shot down in 1967.
McCain and Stirm had known each
other. They shared a wall in soli-
tary confinement and communicated
through a tapping code.
“John McCain tapped in this joke.
First time Dad laughed in jail,” Kitch-
ing said. “I just wish I knew what that
joke was,” she said. “I’m sure it was
something very ribald.”
Stirm, who was 39 when the photo was
taken, told the AP 20 years later that he
had several copies of it, but didn’t dis-
play it in his house. He had been hand-
ed a “Dear John” letter from his wife,
Loretta, by a chaplain upon his release.
“I have changed drastically — forced
into a situation where I finally had to
grow up,” the letter read in part. “Bob,
I feel sure that in your heart you know
we can’t make it together — and it
doesn’t make sense to be unhappy when
you can do something about it. Life is
too short.”
Stirm said the photo “brought a lot
of notoriety and publicity to me and,
unfortunately, the legal situation that I
was going to be faced with, and it was
kind of unwelcomed.”
The couple divorced a year after
Stirm returned from Vietnam and both
remarried within six months.
They came together for weddings
and other family events. Loretta Adams
died in 2010, of cancer. She was 74.
“It hurt really deeply,” Kitching said.
“She told him she wanted to make the
marriage work. But she was being up
front and honest. So every story has
two sides, and I know very well just
how difficult it is to understand the two
sides.”
Stirm retired from the Air Force
in 1977 after 25 years of service. He
joined Ferry Steel Products, a business
his grandfather started in San Francis-
co. He also had worked as a corporate
pilot.
— The Associated Press
KATHY MCCORMACK
SAL VEDER / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILES
Robert Stirm is greeted by his family at Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield, Calif., as he returns
home from the Vietnam War, March 17, 1973.
ROBERT STIRM
OBITUARY
Draft of peace proposal obtained by Associated Press appears to heavily favour Russia
Trump plan to end Ukraine war
cedes territory, limits military
W
ASHINGTON — President
Donald Trump’s plan for
ending the war in Ukraine
would cede land to Russia and limit
the size of Kyiv’s military, according
to a draft obtained Thursday by The
Associated Press.
The proposal, originating from ne-
gotiations between Washington and
Moscow, appeared decidedly favour-
able to Russia, which started the war
nearly four years ago by invading
its neighbour. If past is prologue, it
would seem untenable for Ukrainian
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, who
has opposed Trump’s previous calls
for territorial concessions.
There has also been resistance
from European leaders, who are like-
ly to decry the U.S. peace push as re-
warding Russian President Vladimir
Putin for his aggression, leaving him
emboldened rather than defeated.
For example, the proposal would
not only bar Ukraine from joining
NATO, but would also prevent the
alliance’s future expansion. Such a
step would be a significant victory
for Moscow, which views NATO as a
threat.
Putin would also gain ground he
has been unable to win on the battle-
field. Under the draft, Moscow would
hold all the eastern Donbas region,
even though approximately 14 per
cent still remains in Ukrainian
hands. Ukraine’s military, currently
at roughly 880,000 troops, would be
reduced to 600,000.
The proposal opens the door to
lifting sanctions on Russia and re-
turning it to what was formerly
known as the Group of Eight, which
includes many of the world’s biggest
economies. Russia was suspended
from the annual gathering in 2014
following its annexation of Crimea, a
strategically important peninsula on
the northern coast of the Black Sea
that is internationally recognized as
part of Ukraine.
The U.S. team began drawing up
the plan soon after U.S. special envoy
Steve Witkoff held talks with Rustem
Umerov, a top adviser to Zelenskyy,
according to a senior administration
official who was not authorized to
comment publicly and spoke on the
condition of anonymity. The official
added that Umerov agreed to the ma-
jority of the plan, after making sever-
al modifications, and then presented
it to Zelenskyy.
U.S. Army Secretary Dan Driscoll
was also in Kyiv on Thursday and
discussed the latest draft with Zelen-
skyy, according to a senior adminis-
tration official. Zelenskyy offered a
measured statement on social media
about it, but did not directly speak to
the substance of the proposal.
“Our teams — of Ukraine and the
United States — will work on the pro-
visions of the plan to end the war. We
are ready for constructive, honest
and swift work,” he wrote.
Meanwhile, Trump’s special envoy
to Ukraine, Keith Kellogg, has in-
formed the White House he’ll leave
his post in January, according to two
senior administration officials.
Kellogg was initially named spe-
cial envoy for Ukraine and Russia
during Trump’s presidential transi-
tion. But his role shrunk as Witkoff,
a real estate developer turned diplo-
mat, emerged as the president’s chief
interlocutor with Putin and his advis-
ers.
Under the proposal, Russia would
commit to making no future attacks,
something the White House views as
a concession. In addition, $100 billion
in frozen Russian assets would be
dedicated to rebuilding Ukraine.
However, handing over territory
to Russia would be deeply unpopular
in Ukraine. It also would be illegal
under Ukraine’s constitution. Zelen-
skyy has repeatedly ruled out such a
possibility.
Russia would also be allowed to
keep half of the power generated by
Europe’s largest nuclear power plant,
Zaporizhzhia, which it captured from
Ukraine early during the war.
The draft calls for a “Peace
Council” that Trump will oversee.
The council is an idea that Trump
snatched from his lengthy peace plan
aimed at bringing about a permanent
end to war between Israel and Hamas
in Gaza.
If either Ukraine or Russia violated
the truce once enacted, it would face
sanctions.
U.S. Rep. Don Bacon, R-Neb., an
Air Force veteran, rejected the emer-
ging plan. “Unacceptable,” he posted
on social media. “It is a 1938 Mun-
ich,” referring to a diplomatic agree-
ment aimed at securing peace with
Nazi Germany, but widely viewed as
paving the way for the Second World
War.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio and
Witkoff have been quietly working on
the peace plan for a month, receiving
input from both Ukrainians and Rus-
sians on terms that are acceptable to
each side, White House press secre-
tary Karoline Leavitt said Thursday.
Witkoff and Kirill Dmitriev, a close
adviser to Putin, have been key to
drafting the proposal.
As reports about the draft emerged,
blindsided European diplomats in-
sisted they and Ukraine must be con-
sulted.
European leaders have already
been alarmed this year by indications
that Trump’s administration might
be sidelining them and Zelenskyy in
its push to stop the fighting. Trump’s
at-times conciliatory approach to Pu-
tin has fuelled those concerns, but
Trump adopted a tougher line last
month when he announced heavy
sanctions on Russia’s vital oil sector
that come into force Friday.
“For any plan to work, it needs
Ukrainians and Europeans on board,”
European Union foreign policy chief
Kaja Kallas said at the start of a
meeting in Brussels of the 27-nation
bloc’s foreign ministers. She also sug-
gested that the draft would be too fa-
vourable toward Moscow.
“We haven’t heard of any conces-
sions on the Russian side,” Kallas
said.
German Foreign Minister Johan-
nes Wadephul said he talked by phone
Thursday with Witkoff and Turkish
Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan to
discuss “our various current efforts
to end Russia’s war of aggression
against Ukraine, and thus finally put
an end to the immeasurable human
suffering.”
Ukraine’s deputy UN Ambassador
Khrystyna Hayovyshyn told the UN
Security Council that Kyiv has offi-
cially received Trump’s draft peace
plan and is ready “to work construct-
ively,” but she stressed Ukraine’s
“red lines.”
“There will never be any recogni-
tion, formal or otherwise, of Ukrain-
ian territory temporarily occupied by
the Russian Federation as Russian,”
she said. “Our land is not for sale.”
“Ukraine will not accept any limits
on its right to self-defence or on the
size and capabilities of our armed
forces, nor will we tolerate any in-
fringement on our sovereignty, in-
cluding our sovereign right to choose
the alliances we want to join,” Hay-
ovyshyn added.
It was not clear whether European
foreign ministers had seen the peace
plan, which was first reported by
Axios.
Although they appeared caught by
surprise, some elements of the plan
were not new. Trump said last month
that the Donbas region should be “cut
up,” leaving most of it in Russian
hands.
However, the administration’s pre-
vious diplomatic efforts this year to
stop the fighting have so far come to
nothing. A summit between Trump
and Putin in Alaska did not result
in a breakthrough over the summer,
and plans for them to meet again in
Budapest, Hungary, did not come to
fruition.
Trump frequently complained that
the negotiations involving Ukraine
were taking longer than other con-
flicts where he helped mediate.
“I thought that was going to be
my easy one because I have a good
relationship with President Putin,”
he said this week. “But I’m a little
disappointed in President Putin right
now.”
— The Associated Press
ILLIA NOVIKOV, AAMER MADHANI
AND CHRIS MEGERIAN
UKRAINIAN PRESIDENTIAL PRESS OFFICE VIA AP
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy (left) shakes hands with U.S. Army Secretary Dan Driscoll in Kyiv, Ukraine, Thursday.
Israel plans to seize
parts of historic site
in West Bank,
document says
JERUSALEM — Israel plans to seize
parts of a major West Bank historic
site, according to a government docu-
ment, and settlers put up a new outpost
overnight, even as the country faces
pressure to crack down on settler vio-
lence in the Palestinian territory.
Israel’s Civil Administration an-
nounced its intention to expropriate
large swaths of Sebastia, a major ar-
chaeological site in the West Bank, in
the document obtained by The Associ-
ated Press, on Thursday. Peace Now, an
anti-settlement watchdog group, said
the site is around 1,800 dunams (450
acres) — Israel’s largest seizure of ar-
cheologically important land.
The move came as Israeli settlers
celebrated the creation of a new, un-
authorized settlement near Bethlehem,
and a Palestinian lawyer said a West
Bank activist has been detained and
hospitalized.
The Israeli order released Nov. 12
lists parcels of land it intends to seize
in the Sebastia area. Peace Now, which
provided the document to AP, said the
popular archeological site, where thou-
sands of olive trees grow, belongs to the
Palestinians.
The capital of the ancient Israelite
kingdom Samaria is thought to be be-
neath the ruins of Sebastia, and Chris-
tians and Muslims believe it’s where
John the Baptist was buried.
Israel announced plans to develop the
site into a tourist attraction in 2023. Ex-
cavations have already begun and the
government has allocated more than 30
million shekels (US$9.24 million) to de-
velop the site, according to Peace Now
and another rights group.
The order gives Palestinians 14 days
to object to the declaration.
Israeli settlers said they established
a new unauthorized outpost close to
Bethlehem. The chairman of the local
Etzion settler council, Yaron Rosenthal,
welcomed the settlement as a “return
to the city of our matriarch Rachel, of
King David.” Rosenthal said the new
community would “strengthen the con-
nection” between Etzion and Jerusa-
lem.
The new outpost could be a response
to the latest Palestinian attack on Is-
raelis in the West Bank. It’s close to the
busy junction where on Tuesday Pales-
tinian attackers stabbed one Israeli to
death and wounded three more.
Rosenthal demanded that Israel re-
spond forcefully and better support the
settlements. “Terrorism is fuelled by
the hope of a state,” he said, connecting
the violence to the Palestinian Author-
ity and a renewed push to advance ef-
forts to secure Palestinian statehood.
Hamas did not claim responsibility
for the attack, but in a statement called
it “a normal response to the occupa-
tion’s attempts to liquidate the Palestin-
ian cause,” vowing that Israeli aggres-
sion wouldn’t go unchallenged.
Hagit Ofran, the director of Peace
Now’s settlement watch program, said
the outpost is on land that used to be
an Israeli military base. Photos that
settlers shared online show tempor-
ary homes at the site and bulldozers at
work.
Israel captured the West Bank, east
Jerusalem and Gaza — areas claimed
by the Palestinians for a future state
— in the 1967 war. It has settled over
500,000 Jews in the West Bank, largely
on unauthorized settlements, in addi-
tion to over 200,000 more in contested
east Jerusalem.
— The Associated Press
;